PDA

View Full Version : Trip Attack?

yoshi67
2014-04-07, 06:26 PM
Ok, so I know how tripping works. My question is what happens after the trip? Here's the scenario: Level 7 Hexblade with a heavy flail (me) gets attacked by bandit on horseback. After making the initial trip and succeeding, I pull him off the horse. I'm pretty sure that counts as a normal attack, but I do it in as a full-round action, so do I still have another attack? I think it would look something like: I whip the flail, flail wraps around arm, I pull him off the horse, he falls prone, then I smash the flail into him while he is lying on the ground. Is that possible as a full round action? If so, I have Power Attack, but since the trip does no damage since I'm not actually hitting him, can I decide to Power Attack for the second attack?

holywhippet
2014-04-07, 06:48 PM
I believe you can provided you have multiple attacks per round. A trip is a standard melee attack and not a full round action or standard action by itself.

OldTrees1
2014-04-07, 06:49 PM
As an attack action (a standard attack, or a single attack during a full attack, or an attack of opportunity, or ...) you can try to trip an enemy. If you have Improved Trip or you were doing a full attack, continue attacking.

Power Attack needs to be decided before you make any attacks on your turn. It affects all attacks until your next turn.

Example:
You are a 7th level Hexblade (BAB +7), with the Improved Trip feat and you are facing 2 dumb as dirt mounted goblins.

The first goblin tries to charge right past you to attack your friend behind you. This provokes an attack of opportunity from you. You decide to trip the goblin with your attack of opportunity. If you succeed in tripping the goblin, your Improved Trip feat gives you a free attack against the tripped goblin. Ok so that goblin is dead.

The other goblin charges you. On your turn you activate Power Attack for a -3 attack penalty. Then you make a full attack against this remaining goblin. You use your first attack to trip the goblin. This time you failed to trip the goblin. However you still have one more attack as part of your full attack. You use a regular lethal blow this time. Pow that goblin is dead too.