PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Becoming an Aberation

georgie_leech
2014-04-07, 07:37 PM
Way off in this thread over here, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16821746&postcount=89) as a challenge in refluffing I came up with a way to emulate the major traits of a Beholder in 3.E using 4E mechanics. However, I couldn't come up with a way to combine both the natural flight offered by Pixie, and the Aberrant Heritage feats found in Psionic Power, because they require natural humanoid as a type. Am I correct in thinking that Fey Origin prevents you from taking Foulborn Heritage, and if so, are there any other ways to squeeze the Aberrant type into a Hybrid Wizard|Warlock/Druid? Alternatively, are there any Aberrant races that also have flight as a means of transport?

GPuzzle
2014-04-07, 07:43 PM
Uhm... Kapak Draconians? I mean, they do get at-will flight and +2 DEX, +2 CHA while being natural humanoids and getting the sweet Dragonborn suport...

georgie_leech
2014-04-07, 07:50 PM
Uhm... Kapak Draconians? I mean, they do get at-will flight and +2 DEX, +2 CHA while being natural humanoids and getting the sweet Dragonborn suport...

Which book/Dragon Magazine are they from?

thatSeniorGuy
2014-04-07, 11:52 PM
Dragon Magazine 421.
(As an aside, you can use the Compendium to find out where material is located for free, a D&D Insider account just lets you look at it.)

georgie_leech
2014-04-08, 12:04 AM
Dragon Magazine 421.
(As an aside, you can use the Compendium to find out where material is located for free, a D&D Insider account just lets you look at it.)

Thanks. On review, it doesn't quite fit, because landing in between flights is very much not what beholders do. It's something to keep in mind though.

Inevitability
2014-04-08, 02:07 AM
Aren't there feats who remove that?
Alternatively, plenty of paragon paths/epic destinies make flight possible.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-08, 02:55 AM
Am I correct in thinking that Fey Origin prevents you from taking Foulborn Heritage,

That's an interesting question. Foulborn Heritage requires you to be a "natural humanoid", a term which I don't think is defined anywhere. Every PC race is humanoid; there are a few that are pretty clearly not "natural" such as warforged (constructs) or revenant (undead), but fey? Yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing fey as anything but natural. So I think you can take the feat just fine.

Dimers
2014-04-08, 06:43 AM
Foulborn Heritage requires you to be a "natural humanoid", a term which I don't think is defined anywhere.

It's defined for monsters, yes -- "natural" is one of the origins, like "fey" or elemental" or "immortal". I don't think it's spelled out anywhere that PC races are natural unless otherwise stated, but it definitely is a term with existing game meaning. The MM1 glossary entry for "Natural" kinda implies that the term goes with most PH1 races, but again, it doesn't spell it out clearly.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-08, 07:56 AM
It's defined for monsters, yes -- "natural" is one of the origins, like "fey" or elemental" or "immortal". I don't think it's spelled out anywhere that PC races are natural unless otherwise stated, but it definitely is a term with existing game meaning.

Ok, in that case I'd rule that any PC race with a defined origin (e.g. fey) is not "natural" and therefore cannot take Foulborn Heritage.

Although frankly, I don't think that allowing the feat anyway would cause any balance issues.

Dimers
2014-04-08, 08:55 AM
Likewise. It's not like foulborn are OP.

georgie_leech
2014-04-08, 10:31 AM
Ok, in that case I'd rule that any PC race with a defined origin (e.g. fey) is not "natural" and therefore cannot take Foulborn Heritage.

Likewise. It's not like foulborn are OP.

Also likewise. It's not a balance thing; at the time, I didn't actually remember the feat, and recommended "Eh. Switch the origin. It's not going to make much difference." I was just wondering if there was a RAW-legal way to do it.

GPuzzle
2014-04-08, 11:19 AM
Reincarnate Champion, perhaps?

Inevitability
2014-04-08, 11:36 AM
If you RC into pixie, you won't get flight.
If you RC into a natural humanoid, you won't become one.

GPuzzle
2014-04-08, 11:56 AM
Oh, bollocks... the only option I can think of right now are Zephyr Boots.

georgie_leech
2014-04-08, 12:09 PM
Oh, bollocks... the only option I can think of right now are Zephyr Boots.

Yeah, long-lasting or permanent flight isn't very common in 4th. It's looking like you can either have the flight from 1st and not actually be an aberration, or play in Epic.