PDA

View Full Version : Defender (PrC - homebrew)

Garonak
2014-04-08, 12:53 AM
The Defender

The aim of the Defender is to draw fire and protect their comrades so that they can do what they do best without worrying about what the enemies might do in return.
Alignment: any. Though Defenders tend to be lawful, people of all alignments can see the value of keeping an ally alive from time to time.

Prerequisites:
Feats: Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Improved Shield Bash
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks
Base attack: +5

Table 1-1: THE DEFENDER Hit Dice: D12

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

+1
+2
+0
+0
Stunning Shield, Goad 1/day

+2
+3
+0
+0
DR 1/-, Threatening Aura, Goad 2/day

+3
+3
+1
+1
Bonus feat/Initiator level, Shield Ally, Goad 3/day

+4
+4
+1
+1
DR 2/-, Goad 4/day

+5
+4
+1
+1
Shield Block +2, Goad 5/day

+6
+5
+2
+2
DR 3/-, Goad 6/day

+7
+5
+2
+2
Bonus feat/Initiator level, Improved Shield Ally, Goad 7/day

+8
+6
+2
+2
DR 4/-, Goad 8/day

+9
+6
+3
+3
Shield Block +4, Goad 9/day

+10
+7
+3
+3
DR 5/-, Bonus feat/Initiator level, Goad 10/day

Class skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Swim.

Class features:
Armor and Weapon Proficiency: A Defender is proficient with light, medium and heavy armor and all shields.
Stunning Shield (Ex): Functions like the feat (see below), except the Defender adds half his class level to the DC. In addition a Defender receives an additional two uses per day.
Goad (Ex): Once per day per level the Defender can issue a challenge across the battlefield. The Defender makes an intimidate check opposed by the targets’ modified level check (see Intimidate), if the check succeeds the targets feel compelled to attack the Defender to the best of their ability for a number of rounds equal to the Defender’s class level. Even if the check fails the targets feel that the Defender is someone that should be dealt with, though they are not compelled to attack. The ability affects one creature per class level, starting with the enemy closest who is not attacking the Defender. The Defender receives a -4 on her check if the target does not speak the same language and a -8 if the target has an Intelligence score of 3 or less. Mindless creatures are immune to this ability. Activating this ability is a swift action.
Damage Reduction (Ex): At level 2 the Defender receives Damage Reduction 1/- which stacks with all other form of damage reduction. At every other level after level 2 the DR increases by one.
Threatening Aura (Su): Beginning of level 2 the Defender emits an aura forcing enemies to attack her, when she has readied a shield. The aura has a radius of 5 feet per class level. All enemies within the aura must make a Will save (dc equals to 10 + Defender’s class level + Con modifier) or be forced to focus its attacks on the Defender. This is a mind-affecting [compulsion] effect. The effect lasts until the target has made a successful attack against the Defender. If a creature makes the save they are immune against the effect for 24 hours.
Bonus feat/Initiator level: At level 3, 7 and 10 the Defender may choose to either gain a level as a martial adept for or receive a bonus feat. She can choose between the following feats: Agile Shield Fighting, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization, Great Fortitude, Heavy Armor Optimization, Improved Toughness, Shieldmate, Shield Charge, Shield Slam - I am unsure about the whole initiator level thing - the wording must be fixed in any case (grant maneuvers/stances known and readied, not other class abilities, as with spell casting prcs). The Bonus feats I feel is ok
Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, as an immediate action, you can opt to absorb part of the damage dealt to an adjacent ally. Each time this ally takes damage from a physical attack before your next turn, you can take half this damage on yourself. The target takes the other half as normal. You can only absorb damage from physical melee attacks and ranged attacks, such as an incoming arrow or a blow from a sword, not from spells and other effects.
Shield Block (Ex): Starting at 5th level, you excel in using your armor and shield to frustrate your enemy’s attacks. During your action, designate a single opponent as the target of this ability. Your shield bonus to AC against that foe increases by 2, as you move your shield to deflect an incoming blow, possibly providing just enough protection to turn telling swing into a near miss. This shield bonus increases to +4 at 9th level
Improved Shield Ally (Ex): At 7th level, your ability to absorb damage increases. Once per round you can absorb all the damage from a single attack directed against an adjacent ally. In addition, you continue to absorb half the damage from other physical attacks on an adjacent ally, if you so choose. You must decide whether to use this ability after the attacker determines that an attack has succeeded but before he rolls damage.

New Feats

STUNNING SHIELD

Prerequisites
Str 13, Con 13, Improved Shield Bash, base attack bonus +8.
Benefits:
You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). Stunning Shield forces a foe damaged by your shield bash to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier) [I am considering making this save con based], in addition to dealing damage normally. A target who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC. You may attempt a stunning attack once per day for every four levels you have attained, and no more than once per round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.
Special: A Fighter may choose this as a bonus feat

Mcdt2
2014-04-08, 11:47 AM
I like what you're doing here, although this really belongs on the homebrew forum. Gonna throw my PEACH below (spoilered for length)

Class skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Swim.

I feel like this skill list is a little small, although I don't know what else would be good to add. Furthermore, I tend to dislike putting 2+Int skill points on non Int-based classes, but that's just me. YMMV.

Stunning Shield (Ex): Functions like the feat (see below), except the Defender adds half his class level to the DC. In addition a Defender receives an additional two uses per day.

STUNNING SHIELD

Prerequisites
Benefits:
You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). Stunning Shield forces a foe damaged by your shield bash to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Str modifier) [I am considering making this save con based], in addition to dealing damage normally. A target who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC. You may attempt a stunning attack once per day for every four levels you have attained, and no more than once per round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.
Stunning Fist, but with shields. Solid enough, although I might suggest changing uses/day to 1 per level of Defender + 1/4 other levels, a la Monk and Stunning Fist

Goad (Ex): Once per day per level the Defender can issue a challenge across the battlefield. The Defender makes an intimidate check opposed by the targets’ modified level check (see Intimidate), if the check succeeds the targets feel compelled to attack the Defender to the best of their ability for a number of rounds equal to the Defender’s class level. Even if the check fails the targets feel that the Defender is someone that should be dealt with, though they are not compelled to attack. The ability affects one creature per class level, starting with the enemy closest who is not attacking the Defender. The Defender receives a -4 on her check if the target does not speak the same language and a -8 if the target has an Intelligence score of 3 or less. Mindless creatures are immune to this ability. Activating this ability is a swift action.

This. This is very nice, especially if you entered this with Zhentarim fighter, I'd imagine.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At level 2 the Defender receives Damage Reduction 1/- which stacks with all other form of damage reduction. At every other level after level 2 the DR increases by one.

As usual, this number seems a little too low to matter much, but increasing it would only make it too strong. More of an issue with the DR system as a whole. Ah well, a little DR never hurts.

Threatening Aura (Su): Beginning of level 2 the Defender emits an aura forcing enemies to attack her, when she has readied a shield. The aura has a radius of 5 feet per class level. All enemies within the aura must make a Will save (dc equals to 10 + Defender’s class level + Con modifier) or be forced to focus its attacks on the Defender. This is a mind-affecting [compulsion] effect. The effect lasts until the target has made a successful attack against the Defender. If a creature makes the save they are immune against the effect for 24 hours.

This... seems a little redundant with goad I think. I mean, sure, doesn't take an action, but it's not like most fighters have much use for their swift actions anyway. I don't know what would go better here, though. Perhaps something like the knight ability, making all of your threatened squares difficult terrain? Possibly add an ability that gives reach on 1handed weapons, to make up for the fact that they have one of their hands taken by a shield? Maybe only increase the reach when you make AoO's?
Also, you forgot to bold the name of this one

Bonus feat/Initiator level: At level 3, 7 and 10 the Defender may choose to either gain a level as a martial adept for or receive a bonus feat. She can choose between the following feats: Agile Shield Fighting, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization, Great Fortitude, Heavy Armor Optimization, Improved Toughness, Shieldmate, Shield Charge, Shield Slam - I am unsure about the whole initiator level thing - the wording must be fixed in any case (grant maneuvers/stances known and readied, not other class abilities, as with spell casting prcs). The Bonus feats I feel is ok

The wording certainly needs to be fixed, yes. I might suggest making the maneuver progression an ACF, which trades out your bonus feat. Speaking of bonus feats, I feel like it could benefit from several more choices. Phalanx Fighting seems an obvious choice, for groups of Defenders, and whatever that feat was that let you use 2h polearms with shields (Don't remember the name, think it was in Dragon Mag.)

Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, as an immediate action, you can opt to absorb part of the damage dealt to an adjacent ally. Each time this ally takes damage from a physical attack before your next turn, you can take half this damage on yourself. The target takes the other half as normal. You can only absorb damage from physical melee attacks and ranged attacks, such as an incoming arrow or a blow from a sword, not from spells and other effects.

An excellent idea, although I'd be tempted to allow them to use it against magic still (although restricting it to spells with attack rolls that do damage would be wise).

Shield Block (Ex): Starting at 5th level, you excel in using your armor and shield to frustrate your enemy’s attacks. During your action, designate a single opponent as the target of this ability. Your shield bonus to AC against that foe increases by 2, as you move your shield to deflect an incoming blow, possibly providing just enough protection to turn telling swing into a near miss. This shield bonus increases to +4 at 9th level

Extra AC is nice, though I fear this may be too little, too late. My gut reaction would be to make it apply miss chance for physical attacks instead

Improved Shield Ally (Ex): At 7th level, your ability to absorb damage increases. Once per round you can absorb all the damage from a single attack directed against an adjacent ally. In addition, you continue to absorb half the damage from other physical attacks on an adjacent ally, if you so choose. You must decide whether to use this ability after the attacker determines that an attack has succeeded but before he rolls damage.

An excellent upgrade to the earlier ability. Not much else to say about it, I think

Final thoughts: I think the Defender could really use a level 10 ability, something "new". As it stands, I don't know if I'd bother taking this past level 7, once I had Improved Shield Ally. Sure, increasing DR, Shield Bonus, and Goad use/day is nice (not gonna count the bonus feats, I could just take more fighter) but I think it may need something more. I might move the bonus feats to levels 3, 6, and 9 if you add a level 10 ability though, if only to even out the progression a little. Beyond that however, this is a very nice and simple 'brew, and it will probably see use in my game (if only on an npc, my player's aren't much a fan of tanking. Perhaps this will change their mind a bit).

Cloud
2014-04-08, 12:27 PM
I'd probably go for at a minimum 4+ int skill points, and that list is really rather small. You could add spot and listen (a defender should be able to notice the invisible bastard about to gank his friends), and even sense motive (mostly something to round out the list, but hey, it also counters Feint).

If the Stunning Shield ability works as per the feat, it should grant the feat as the bonus feat, give you those bonuses, and let you pick another feat if you already have it (mostly that last point).

You're aware Goad is an existing feat already? In any case, not that it would be exactly overpowered, but effectively scaling DCs off skill checks tends to be a bad idea...and in any case making it intimidate based makes subjects immune to fear immune to this ability, which would basically neuter it against many high end enemies. Also just to be clear while this ability doesn't work on mindless enemies, make a note that it does work on enemies immune to mind effecting affects (unless you keep it based off intimidate I suppose). I'd change the name to something that doesn't already exist. As for how to work out the DC if it's not intimidate based...I'm not sure what to do that would keep it relevant. Maybe you could leave it intimidate based for all of the flaws that brings.

Threatening Aura seems odd with Goad at the same time, maybe you could make it extraordinary and make it that opponents treat your threatened squares as difficult terrain, and if they attack an ally while in that area they take a -4 to the attack rolls (totally not stealing that from the knight and/or stances >.> <.< >.> ). Or something, just not something that seems overlapping with Goad.

If you don't want any abuse on the initiator level thing...don't grant them period unless you make the prestige class need strikes and stances to get into. In any case that seems like a small bonus feat list when you get 3 choices and might very well have some of those feats already.

Shield Ally should really work on at least weapon like spells, such as most rays. ...Also jumping the gun a little but if you want a level 10 ability? Something that makes this ability better than a zero-sum, like blocking all damage for an ally, while taking half yourself.

Shield block probably could be a constant 1/2/3 that doubles to 2/4/6 when you pick a single target as a free action and probably still be underwhelming.

On improved shield ally, other than improving the wording (you don't say as Shield Ally so despite the obvious this has no action now), again as I mentioned on shield ally, you could have a greater version of this at 10. Maybe keeping this an immediate action, but your first use a round doesn't count towards your limit of one immediate action per round.

Garonak
2014-04-17, 06:25 AM
Thanks to both for good suggestions.
My biggest fear with modifying the class is of course balance, the best outcome would for it to be in the area of the martial adepts in power level.
That in mind I have some suggestions, based on yours:
Skills: Added listen, sense motive and spot to the class list and increased skill points to 4 + int.
Stunning shield: Grant as feat. Change DC from str-based to con-based. Increase uses per day to 1/class level +1/4 character levels - as with monk. I think I don't want to have the 'choose another feat' thingy as of yet, partly because I feel it is rather unnecessary with the BA req for the feat.
Goad: Change the name to Taunt - I don't think that name has been used elsewhere, at least I couldn't find it with a quick search. I still want to stick with Intimidate as the basis for this, with the benefits and drawbacks this includes.
Threatening Aura: This was meant to be overlapping, having a constant ability to force enemies to attack, though with a limited range. Could change it to Knight's Bulwark of Defense (difficult terrain) or Vigilant Defender (increased tumble dc). Or give a free aoo (which does not count against use per round) against anyone who enters the Defender's threatened area (could be paired with one of the above). The penalty to attack for enemies against the Defender's allies is also good. - choices, choices.
Bonus feats: I wanted the initiator level thingy mainly because the class has a nice synergy with the Crusader and its stances and maneuvers. But I am as of yet undecided on this. As for the feat list, perhaps broaden this to all feats with Shield Proficiency as a requirement?
Shield Block: I liked the whole constant increased shield bonus 1/2/3. The defender can then drop that bonus and instead receive double against a single opponent (free action to switch, but only once per round).
Shield Ally: Adding the possibility to block spells with attack rolls. Might make that a level 10 ability.

As for the level 10 ability I am not sure. Maybe something in the area of Shield and Pike (piercing reach with shield), though with any shield and not just light. To just right out give reach is a threshold for me, though this would happen at a minimum of level 15, so... Maybe granting a miss chance, either constant or when focusing Shield Block?

Garonak
2014-04-19, 07:41 AM
Second version of the class, with some changes made

The Defender

The aim of the Defender is to draw fire and protect their comrades so that they can do what they do best without worrying about what the enemies might do in return.
Alignment: any. Though Defenders tend to be lawful, people of all alignments can see the value of keeping an ally alive from time to time.

Prerequisites:
Feats: Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Improved Shield Bash
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks
Base attack: +5

Table 1-1: THE DEFENDER Hit Dice: D12

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

+1
+2
+0
+0
Stunning Shield, Taunt 1/day

+2
+3
+0
+0
DR 1/-, Bulwark of Defense, Taunt 2/day

+3
+3
+1
+1
Bonus feat, Shield Ally, Taunt 3/day

+4
+4
+1
+1
DR 2/-, Taunt 4/day

+5
+4
+1
+1
Shield Block +1, Taunt 5/day, Improved Bulwark of Defense

+6
+5
+2
+2
DR 3/-, Taunt 6/day

+7
+5
+2
+2
Bonus feat, Improved Shield Ally, Taunt 7/day

+8
+6
+2
+2
DR 4/-, Taunt 8/day

+9
+6
+3
+3
Shield Block +2, Taunt 9/day

+10
+7
+3
+3
DR 5/-, Bonus feat, Greater Shield Ally, Shield Savant, Taunt10/day

Class skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim.

Class features:
Armor and Weapon Proficiency: A Defender is proficient with all light, medium and heavy armor and all shields.
Stunning Shield (Ex): Functions like the feat (see below), except the Defender adds half his class level to the DC. In addition a Defender receives an additional use per day per class level.
Taunt (Ex): Once per day per level the Defender can issue a challenge across the battlefield. The Defender makes an intimidate check opposed by the targets’ modified level check (see Intimidate), if the check succeeds the targets feel compelled to attack the Defender to the best of their ability for a number of rounds equal to the Defender’s class level. Even if the check fails the targets feel that the Defender is someone that should be dealt with, though they are not compelled to attack. The ability affects one creature per class level, starting with the enemy closest who is not attacking the Defender. The Defender receives a -4 on her check if the target does not speak the same language and a -8 if the target has an Intelligence score of 3 or less. Mindless creatures are immune to this ability. Activating this ability is a swift action.
Bulwark of Defense (Ex): When you reach 2nd level, an opponent treats all the squares that you threaten as difficult terrain. Your strict vigilance and active defensive maneuvers force your opponents to move with care.
Bonus feat: At level 3, 7 and 10 the Defender receives a bonus feat. She can choose any feat that has Shield Proficiency as a prerequisite.
Shield Block (Ex): Starting at 5th level, you excel in using your armor and shield to frustrate your enemy’s attacks. You receive a +1 bonus to your shield AC. In addition, during your action, designate a single opponent as the target of this ability. Your shield bonus to AC against that foe increases by 1, as you move your shield to deflect an incoming blow, possibly providing just enough protection to turn telling swing into a near miss. These shield bonuses increase to +2 at 9th level
Greater Shield Ally (Ex): At 10th level your ability to protect your allies extend even to certain spells and magical effects. The Defender may now absorb damage from spells and spell-like abilities that require an attack roll (such as rays).
Shield Savant (Ex): Beginning at level 10 the Defender has become so adept at using her shield that she becomes immune to flanking while wielding a shield [or should I say: 'has readied a shield'?]. In addition the Defender receives 50% fortification (which stacks with other forms of fortification) while wielding a shield.

New Feats

STUNNING SHIELD

Prerequisites
Benefits:
You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). Stunning Shield forces a foe damaged by your shield bash to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Con modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A target who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC. You may attempt a stunning attack once per day for every four levels you have attained, and no more than once per round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.