PDA

View Full Version : Brutabra vs. Thorn (The Crowd Calls for Blood)

OMG PONIES
2014-04-08, 08:18 AM
The crowd is in an uproar as the two contestants are brought into the arena and unshackled in their opposing corners. The gigantic gates behind each of them would usually close with a deafening din of metal and stone, but any sound the gates would make is drowned out by those seeking entertainment. Both of them knew to expect this, but actually experiencing it was something else entirely. As the two fighters prepare to defend their lives, Thorn is the first off the blocks!

Thorn is a light blue Orc with blue eyes. He is dressed in leather armour and carries a shield which varies in colour from pink to indigo.

http://i60.tinypic.com/3443vyd.jpg

Initiative Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17270286&postcount=1287)

cd4, you're up! Necroticplague, please post a character description and add it to your sheet.

Necroticplague
2014-04-08, 10:38 AM
A relatively generic-looking draconian humanoid stands in the corner. It's scales are some vague metallic color, it's simple robes covering it body. It's hands hold shurikens in them, with nothing more than a grey flask and sturdy amulet, accompanied by a more chromatic belt.

cd4
2014-04-08, 11:48 AM
Thorn moves to I12 and prepares

Maneuver readying count down from top of list jumping already prepared ones.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Necroticplague
2014-04-08, 12:28 PM
Brutabra takes one of the shuriken and uses it to pop the cork off of the bland bottle. From it, a gigantic cloud of smoke erupts, covering the whole arena. Under this cover, she then takes movement, a clatter of dice being heard as she moves.

standard action:open flask. Am now surrounded by 50 foot spread of smoke (which I think is big enough to cover the whole battle field.

move action:move over to p5
Swift action: use lucky die soulmeld to give myself +1 to saved, rolling to see if I get that bonus to others:[roll0]

cd4
2014-04-08, 12:41 PM
It actually only covers the whole arena if you are in the centre, the arena is 100ft by 100ft. Does this cover I12 and the surrounding squares?

Necroticplague
2014-04-08, 01:03 PM
Woops, slight brain short circuit, my I thought 'squares' when I saw 'feet'.So yes, you are barely within the smoke.as in, squares to south, west, and southwest are free, but the one your in and the other 5 are within the smoke.

cd4
2014-04-08, 01:26 PM
Move action: Move to J11, K10, L9, M8, N7

stop moving and attempt to trip
Unarmed Melee touch attack roll[roll0]
Trip attempt[roll1]
Subsequent attack with shield [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Move Action: Move to O6, P5, Q4, R3, S2, S3 Stopping next to Brutabra if I see him.
Maneuvers [roll4]

Necroticplague
2014-04-09, 09:39 AM
Brutabara's enhanced senses at first fail to see the approaching enemy through the fog, though they see the enemy as he gets closer. Of course, by then, the movement means they practically bumped into each other. Brutabra, not one for melee, remedies this by fleeing deeper into the cloud as it expands.Before that, though, she unleashes a roar that seems to send time scurrying, attempting to impede her foe.

Cloud expands 10 feet to to be a 60 foot spread.
You run into me while your in square O6, I'm in P5.

Standard action:Use breath weapon towards Thorn. Roll dc 23 fort of be slowed for 2 turns. Success means only slowed for 1 turn.

Free action: 5-foot step into Q6. You can't see me anymore, though you know what direction I went in.

Swift: use lucky die to give me +1 ac. Rolling to see if I get anything else.[roll0]

cd4
2014-04-09, 02:33 PM
Fortitude is Thorn's good save [roll0]

cd4
2014-04-09, 04:46 PM
Thorn is slightly slowed but only for one round. Thorn however can 5ft step into P5 and Mountain Hammers Brutabra with his shield.

Concealment miss chance 0-20 fail [roll0]
Melee attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] Ignores DR

Mountain Hammer was the only unreadied maneuver so it readied itself and then I used it.

Necroticplague
2014-04-09, 05:27 PM
The solid blow strikes true, colliding with Brutabra's side with solid force. She's made of stern stuff, though, and stays standing. However, she can't keep up like this for more than a little, so she instead beats a retreat, disapearing into the smoke cloud as she move south.

Smoke Cloud expands 10 more feet into 70 foot spread.

Full-round:Withdraw exiting sight into square R7. I still go on, but that'll go in spoiler, since you can't see that.
End up in H9.

OMG PONIES
2014-04-10, 08:55 AM
As Thorn connects with a mighty wallop, Brutabra retreats deep into the cloud of smoke. As it billows out across the arena, neither combatant can see the other.

http://i59.tinypic.com/10ro3t3.jpg

cd4, you're up!

You're in P5, but can't see anything in the smoke. Please keep in mind, even creatures 5 feet away would have total concealment (50% miss chance and you can't see them at all).
You're in H9, just outside the smoke. Unfortunately, Thorn is outside the range of your blindsense and thus you cannot see him inside the smoke.

Necroticplague
2014-04-10, 09:42 AM
why wouldn't the smoke move with me? It comes from the bottle that I'm still carrying, so shouldn't the cloud be centered on my position?

OMG PONIES
2014-04-10, 12:57 PM
Because the item description doesn't mention anything about the smoke being centered on your location.

This metal urn is identical in appearance to an efreeti bottle, except that it does nothing but smoke. The amount of smoke is great if the stopper is pulled out, pouring from the bottle and totally obscuring vision across a 50-foot spread in 1 round. If the bottle is left unstoppered, the smoke billows out another 10 feet per round until it has covered a 100-foot radius. This area remains smoke-filled until the eversmoking bottle is stoppered.

By the above quote, the bottle does 3 things:

Totally obscures vision in a 50-foot spread (round 1)
Spreads 10 ft per round until it has covered a 100-ft radius (if left unstoppered)
The area stops being smoke-filled (if stoppered)

I'm not seeing anything else that happens by RAW, but if I missed something please let me know. Otherwise, if you want to move the center of the smoke you'd have to stopper the bottle, move to a new location, and unstopper the bottle.

cd4
2014-04-10, 01:25 PM
First Thorn listens to try an hear where Brutabra is.
[roll0]

Maneuvers Reset from top again
[roll1]
[roll2]

I just realised that I forgot to add in the -1 penalty for being slowed on my attack but that probably didn't matter anyway.

Necroticplague
2014-04-10, 03:35 PM
[roll0]+1 for each 10 feet of distance. Assuming you're where I last saw you, that would be +5.

O.K, so just to clarify: the smoke starts at, and spreads from, the origin of where I opened the bottle, regardless of current location of the bottle? Rather odd, but I guess that just makes it work the spell you need to make it.

Also of note is that the very next paragraph says the smoke at least stays around for a little after corking it, because even some wind take a round to do the job. I don't think smoke instantly dissipates immediately once you remove it's source, as per ", after which the smoke dissipates normally." (though that bit of text is a bit too vague for my liking).

cd4
2014-04-10, 04:05 PM
Move to Q6, R7, R8, S8, S9, S10, T10

Thorn will hit him with his shield.
concealment 0-50 miss[roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Move to T11, T12, S11, R11, R10, R9, Q9, P9

OMG Ponies made me realise that it is not Fog Cloud where you get concealment for 5ft but total concealment for 5ft in all directions. Therefore I need to try and move into your square to find you. When I do I can target that square.

Necroticplague
2014-04-10, 06:23 PM
Not seeing his enemy, despite finally being out of reach, Brutabra plows through, looking for her enemy with her senses that pierce this annoying smoke.

Cloud gets 10 feet bigger to 80 foot spread.

Move 2 squares up to H7, then rest of 10 squares east to R7.

cd4
2014-04-12, 11:08 AM
Thorn tries again to hear his enemy.

Maneuvers [roll]1d3

Will do later

cd4
2014-04-14, 11:28 AM
OOC: I am waiting for the result of my listen check that I made before I decide which direction I am searching the smoke.

Necroticplague
2014-04-14, 11:42 AM
[roll0]. Not counting possible mods for distance.

cd4
2014-04-15, 11:23 AM
I think we need to wait for a DM to work out this, for neither of us knows precisely where the other is but I heard you in some direction.

Necroticplague
2014-04-15, 11:25 AM
Agreeing with you there, that's why I haven't posted more yet.

OMG PONIES
2014-04-16, 07:37 AM
As the two combatants feebly grasp for each other inside the cloud of smoke, the audience begins to boo and jeer. It's difficult to hear anything over the cacophony, but Thorn is able to make out the scraping of feet against stone somewhere to the Northwest.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nghgfl.jpg

cd4, you may complete your action.

Your voidsense picks up Thorn in P9, but he still has 50% concealment due to the fog.

cd4
2014-04-16, 11:32 AM
Move Action O8, N7, N6, M6, M7, L7, L6

Concealment 0-50 Miss [roll0]
Attack with Shield[roll1]
Damage [roll2]

L5, M5, N5, N4, M4, L4, L3, K3

Maneuver Refresh [roll3]

Necroticplague
2014-04-17, 08:31 PM
Her enemy lost, she pulls some maneuvering of her own to look at him as he heads for where she was. A bolt of electricity strikes him from within this cloud like a storm.

Cloud gets 10 feet bigger to 90 foot spread.
Check:[roll0]

Move action:Move to P5, then straight up until I am directly east of him. once I am, move further east.
Standard: Breath lightning at him straight west, using Entangling Exhalation.

Roll DC 24 REF save vs. [roll1]electricity damage for half. If you take damage (i.e., don't succeed with evasion), then you are entangled for [roll2] rounds.

[roll3]

OMG PONIES
2014-04-17, 10:23 PM
Sorry, folks. Retcon to immediately after post #24. When I said Thorn heard Brutabra to the Northwest, I actually meant Northeast (toward T1). Sorry, compass fail.

cd4
2014-04-18, 04:13 AM
Okay, lets try searching again.

Move to Q8, R7, S7, S6, R6, R5, S5

Concealment 0-50 miss [/roll]1d100[/roll]
Attack with Shield [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Move to T5, T4, S4, R4, R3, S3, T3, T2

cd4
2014-04-18, 04:14 AM
Sorry mistyped coding for roll. Here is the concealment roll again 0-50 miss [roll0]

Necroticplague
2014-04-18, 07:25 AM
The shielded man's meandering ends up with him managing to bump into Brutaba. As he attempts to strike, he misses, due to the difficulty of striking what it unseen. In retribution, Brutabra lets out a gout of lightning that seems to stick like something a bit more physical before absconding once again.

The smoke cloud expands to a 90 foot spread,I was bumped into while I was in R7.
Check:[roll0]

Standard:Use lightning breath weapon at him, augmented by Entangling Exhalation.
Move:Mosey on over to t12

Roll DC 24 REF save vs. [roll1]electricity damage for half. If you take damage (i.e., don't succeed with evasion), then you are entangled for [roll2] rounds.

cd4
2014-04-18, 03:43 PM
Thorn thinks for a moment as the lightning hits him.
Action before Thought Concentration Check [roll0]

Thorn then listens again [roll1]

Thorn takes 6 damage and is entangled

Necroticplague
2014-04-18, 04:28 PM
The orcs attempt to listen prove successful, with the sound of claws on stone becoming evident in the southeast.

cd4
2014-04-19, 04:26 AM
Thorn moves to R7, S8, T8

Concealment roll 0-50 miss [roll0]
Attack with Shield [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Move to T9, S9, S10, T10

Maneuver recovery [roll3]

Necroticplague
2014-04-19, 11:15 AM
With her foe making slow progress due to the sticky lightning, Brutabra remains safely out of reach to Breath a hotter gout of fire in her wandering foes face, a small clattering of dice accompanying it.

Cloud spreads to its maximum 100 foot spread.
You take [roll0] electricity damage at the start of my turn.
Check:[roll1]

Swift: Use Lucky Die to provide+1 to skill checks. Roll to see if it applies to anything else:[roll2]
Standard:Use Dragonborn Breath Weapon at him.Recharge Time:[roll3]rounds.
Move Action: Walk on over to R17.

DC24 REF for half [roll4] acid damage.

cd4
2014-04-19, 04:04 PM
Thorn realising that there is no way for him to reach Brutabra and hit him decides to concede.

OOC: That is a nasty tactic. With a 30ft breath weapon range and entangling me makes my move action 20ft I cannot move and attack you with this build as you will always be 30ft away from me at the start of my turn. I need to modify Thorn to counter this tactic.

Necroticplague
2014-04-19, 08:28 PM
Hearing his surrender but knowing the crowd would not accept such a thing in this crucible of blood, she obliges the crowd and him for with a continuous stream of flames. Even if can't they see his smoldering corpse, the smell should give something away.
Assuming precedence from other threads is that someone giving up then has the other person roll a bunch of damage in the ensuing curb-stomp.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

BRUTABRA VICTORY!

OMG PONIES
2014-04-21, 09:01 PM
Brutabra's fearsome breath has finally done in her foe, though few can see it transpire deep within the cloud of smoke.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2lx9k04.jpg

Necroticplague, Brutabra wins!

OMG PONIES
2014-04-22, 08:07 AM
[roll0] forgot something important, factored in above.