PDA

View Full Version : Journal Referencing for Fun, Profit and Evulz [PF Campaign Journal]

DSmaster21
2014-04-08, 09:11 AM
I have enjoyed a great many campaign journals on this site and I figure that I might offer up my own feeble scribblings.

So my friends and I have started a new campaign and it is evil. This will be our first evil campaign so fingers crossed that this does not lead to bloodshed. I have a great love for incorporating a lot of tvtropes tropes and webcomic material in my games so I when I have an allusion or reference I will put it up with the session notes and any of you kind readers can try to guess what I am referring to.

Guidelines for campaign-
Special System for XP for replacement characters or Rezzes. To keep everyone mostly together in level. (I may actually put this up but it would not look pretty as it is just a big math formula I made up)
Rules, that must be signed for, agreeing not to resort to irl violence or violence in a not-this campaign.
Starting at Level 3
Everyone gets 3 characters when one dies the next comes in but when all three have died you are out. Sorry.
Starting Wealth=LV 1 amount + 3000
The idea of this campaign (Working for a Evil Necromancer working to make the jump to lichdom) should help make things easier when it comes to adding your new character into the party it also means you must be cautious murdering each other or you will be judged as an obstruction to the plans and will be eliminated.
Said Campaign concept gives me a good excuse for why your character is gone during a session you skip, this means if you skip we will not try rescheduling for you will just not receive as much exp or gear. 1/2 for those who promise to come but don't with no explanation. 3/4 if you call me at least an hour before. 1/1 if you tell me at least a day or two ahead.

Note: We were missing 1/3 of the party so first session was less intro yourself after getting the job and more "prove that I shouldn't just kill you and use your bodies for minions."

I figure next session we will see some role playing and I will enjoy listening to player 2 screw up everyone's names as hilariously as he can when we start trying to figure out what to nickname each other's characters.

The core players who will almost always be there are 1,2,3,4,5

I will likely put some of our utterances in the campaign quotes thread listing them as the whole 1st initial thing.

If any of them join the forums and message me I will replace the first letter of their name and the whole 1,2,3,4,5 thing with their forumite name.

Any advice, criticism or feedback is appreciated. This does not necessarily mean that your suggestions or criticism will be acted on.

Ooph - Orc Barbarian, Ooph's player is actually the most sane of us but now he is playing a mute (gestures and grunting/halfgarbled words only),half-blind (Feral orc, Dayrunner traits) barbarian (Drunken Brute, Invulnerable Rager Archtypes) that we joke is very aggressive about smashing. OOOOOOOPPPHHH! SMMMMMMAAAAAAASSSSHHHHH! indeed. This player/character will be referred to as P1/A. Likely Nickname: Ooph.
ABIL Scores
STR 22
DEX 14
CON 18
INT 7
WIS 7
CHA 7

Lurp - Half-Orc Druid, Lurp's player is the one who receives the most ribbing from us and rightly so. He keeps trying to argue for being able to use animal companions as essentially another player like he used them during the campaign he ran. Anyway yeah he took half orc for the ability to use a greataxe and is a (Bear Totem Archtype) Druid with the weirdest stat distribution I have ever seen. No real personality to speak of just a character that he is attempting to create as a person to kill people with. (This kind of explains his philosophy in rpgs) Catchphrase: ANYTHING HE SHOUTS (Yeah and that capitalizing is real life, the guy gets really excited)
Known in my mind as Derp (Likely Nickname. When he said his name the first time this is what I heard and this will be what my guy will call him) and on the site will be known as Player 2/L.
ABIL Scores
STR 15
DEX 10
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 19
CHA 10

Not yet revealed

Not yet revealed

Not yet revealed (Talked to him today. He has expressed his desire to play a cross-dressing assassin. Talking to him about a charismatic murderer or a murderous pickpocket, So I am thinking Rake, Scout, and Cutpurse Archtypes I know Scout can stack with the other two but the other two don't stack with each other so I will have to talk to him a bit more on direction for his character build.)

not yet revealed

not yet revealed

This player could not make it to the first session but is one of the core players.

Not yet revealed (We have discussed and decided on Alchemist as the class. Other Deets? Still Fuzzy on. Thank you Crabsage for the Alchemist ideas, I'll bring them up to him.)

not yet revealed

not yet revealed

This player could not make it to the first session but is one of the core players.

Leeroy - Human Cavelier, Order of the Cockatrice, Very variable code of honor, bit of a combat pragmatist (oh I can't beat you in a one-on-one swordfight, time to get lanced), Rides about on Mortimer the camel (camels have better dex, and a spit attack that sickens the target for 1d4 rounds so don't judge),
STR 18
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 8
CHA 14

Not yet revealed

Not yet revealed

Archangel - Human Rogue, (Sniper Archetype), Lazy Douche. This character has decent ability to dodge through his high dex and actually really decent strength but barfight! and he will sit on his stool, shoot his bow and throw things into the melee still at least he didn't have to get up. Likely Nickname: Angel. Called PX/D.
STR 14
DEX 19
CON 14
INT 16
WIS 8
CHA 10

Not yet revealed

Not yet revealed

This player is not a common player at our table. He will probably appear only a time or two.

Not yet revealed (Based on his love of paladins he will likely play an antipaladin with necro affinity or something like that)

Not yet revealed

Not yet revealed

This player used to be quite a common sight but real life responsibilities have recently pulled him away. He may show up to some of our sessions but he may not. Summer is really when we might be able to game with him more so check back on his info then.

I hope to have to have session 2 up by the 26th. That is a long time for me to be typing. No, the truth is that I am really busy this weekend so we can't have a session so I'll cross my fingers that next week is better.

prufock
2014-04-08, 09:55 AM
Not yet revealed (Talked to him today. He has expressed his desire to play a cross-dressing assassin. Having talked him down to either a charismatic murderer or a murderous pickpocket

Oh my god, why? A cross-dressing assassin sounds like an amazing concept, much more original than a standard murderer! Max ranks in disguise and bluff and who is going to suspect that fair lady in the finery?

DSmaster21
2014-04-08, 11:10 AM
Oh my god, why? A cross-dressing assassin sounds like an amazing concept, much more original than a standard murderer! Max ranks in disguise and bluff and who is going to suspect that fair lady in the finery?

Well last time we played he was a cross dressing barbarian. You would think that a barbarian in a dress was an awesome idea. He was a dwarf. He had Charisma of 5, no ranks in disguise or bluff, diplomacy or anything applicable for seduction. It was kind of awkward, especially since we spent half that campaign in the desert without any contact with people other than us. Then he got hold of an army of kobolds and goblins and decided to try to seduce all of them.

My friends and I are a little off the wall so if I say we do something and the reason is not immediately obvious assume that there was a noodle incident or utensils involved.

Still I guess he can try it again, I mean after all the Rake Archetype would certainly complement such a strategy. Though as I explained when he brought it up, if he spends too much time on that and not on the mission the Necromancer may begin to view his behavior as "less than satisfactory".

DSmaster21
2014-04-09, 04:37 PM
Session 1 begins with the characters in very different places. Archangel is on a mission to assassinate someone, Ooph looking for someplace to get some ale, Leeroy looking for somewhere to get drunk, Lurp out in the forest sleeping. Archangel shoots his target and turns to leave before any guards arrive only to see a note affixed to the wall with an arrow from his own quiver. Leeroy gets a crossbow bolt with a note attached fired right into the shield on his back with no one in sight. Lurp wakes up to go get something to eat and finds a note tied over/onto his bear's face. The note advises all of us to be at a certain tavern by a particular time and we will be justly rewarded. Unnerved by this rather unusual turn of events we all decide to go. Ooph looks down and sees some small bits of meat and shots of ale sitting on cloth all in a row toward and into a building.

Two humans, a half-orc and a huge orc walk in through the double doors of the tavern at almost the same time. Glancing around at each other we all walk over to the bar as all the booths and tables are taken. We sit down and Leeroy orders some decent quality wine and begins to sip at it looking around carefully. Lurp tries to convince the barkeep to give some meat for his bear despite having zero funds. Archangel surreptitiously looks about for trouble. Ooph points to a cask of ale and the bartender hefts it into the air and sets it in front of him. Ooph wastes no time in beginning on the cask while the others wonder what is going on. A note suddenly appears in front of them telling them to wait 5 minutes except for Ooph who is enthralled with his beer anyway. (I can tell this not being able to read, or speak outside of stray common words is gonna be fun. Hmm, I should post up a list of phrases he actually understands and can say.) At this point a bard comes up to *rolls* Archangel and- D:"I roll perception to see her before she gets over here" Me:"She is trying to sneak up on you to play for you." Long drawn out conversation in which I try to hint that the bard is a poor musician trying to use those skills to get paid to go away. Finally Archangel gives her a few silver and she decides to harass someone else. Me "The bard will walk over here behind Ooph and waalllkkk right past him to Lurp" L "Agh why not you? You and Ooph are both next to Archangel." Me "My guy has two well-worn clubs, a lance, longsword, and longbow strapped to his back and your guy has a greataxe that is still shiny" Lurp then fails to just simply say something to the effect of "I have no money" when asked for some for the next couple minutes irl as I get way more milage out of this obnoxious npc than I expected.
Eventually the five minutes ingame pass and the bartender throws a platinum at the bard and tells her to get out already. As soon as she leaves the bartender pulls something in the barstand and then nods to the people nearest the doors. They stand up and shut the doors and bar them. I give Ooph a will save to see this happening as he is kinda busy with his favorite vice. All the other patrons now draw their weapons and the bartender pointing in turn at the four of us says, Kill them, at this point Ooph gets another save and nails it so he so he recognizes the word kill and sees the bartender pointing at him with a whole tavern of people with drawn weapons. At this point Ooph tries to smash the bartender with the cask and hits a force wall. Lurp shouts for his bear to come and his bear starts banging on the door which fails to open it because these doors are designed to keep out much larger things than Winnie the Pooh (His bear is only like 3 ft tall).

Ooph is up first. He tosses away the shards of the cask *rolls* at the doors so I said against not that many odds (Stationary Inanimate Target) he hit the door-bar with both damaging the the bar quite a bit and some splinters deals a damage to one of the guys who had just shut it and pulls out his axe while charging and neatly bisects the target. He then tries an intimidate check and a foul stench emenates from the nearby foes. Lurp's turn is next. Lurp pulls out his greataxe and confuses how the Druid spell Flame Blade works (He thought it lets him set his weapon on fire) so I explain it and he decides he will use the flame blade so I let the greataxe-pulling never happen. Lurp makes a charge attack and he swings and the patron and the patron behind the patron burst into flames collapsing into a pile of bones. at this point he changes his mind and decides to drop his axe and cast Flame Blade. His bear smashes the two doors off their hinges crushing the two bystanders who had shut them. The bartender went next and pulls out a wand rifle and gets off two shots of magic missile one at me and one at the nearest patron by me. I roll almost max damage vs Leeroy taking him down by about 14 and the patron takes 7 (Damage Range for Wand of MM (CL 5) = 6-15). Leeroy's turn is then spent firing his bow at a patron and missing. The patrons then move and Leeroy takes 10 more damage and dealing a single point to Archangel. Archangel spends his turn putting arrows into the guy who hit him.

Round 2: Ooph notices that the angle and distance would let him use a charge attack on a table and then hit the guy at that booth. So he bullrushes a table smashing a guy back into his booth then leaping into the air to attack and another patron goes down. Lurp decides to pull his greataxe and tries to attack another patron and hits. This brings it back to the bartender who tries to activate the wand to shoot me and rolls a 1 which shuts it down for 24 hours so he throws it on the floor and swears. Now it is my turn and I challenge the last patron to a fist fight so the party forms a circle around us and we face off. I actually succeed at this (despite my injuries) mostly thanks to having some oils of stone fist on my person. As I describe my guy punching the patron's head off in a bloodless manner, Ooph's player figures out that these were undead. (In the future he will have to roleplay this out and act out whatever he wants to say or speak in simple terms. I think Ooph is not really as stupid and foolish as his stats say he just lacks people skills.)

Fight thus ended the bartender says "Congratulations, you are as skilled as they say. Now, come, I will bring you to my master." At this point the players go to meet the boss, a level 20 necromancer. The lich gives everyone a decently-powered magical item. (Some cash spent to craft pearls of power for the druid, a belt of +2 strength for the barbarian and cavelier and a belt of +2 Dex for the rogue) He then begins briefing them for their first mission and Thus ends Session 1.

Now does anyone know what webcomic I got the idea of starting an evil campaign with a barfight from?

Next time I type one of these up I will let my players proof it so that I don't screw up things like events or turn orders.

Congratulations to jguy the winner of one virtu-cookie for correctly guessing the webcomic. At least I think he intended the right one. I think you were referring to Another Gaming Comic (AGC, not Yet Another Fantasy Gaming Comic, Yafgc, which is NSFW) as Bing yields no results for Not Another Gaming Comic or NAGC.

jguy
2014-04-10, 10:21 PM
You got it from Not Another Gaming Comic.