PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Factotum changes

DaOldeWolf
2014-04-08, 09:19 AM
I am thinking on using factotum for a pathfinder campaign. The DM is allowing 3.5 stuff as long as it gets translated to the other system. We discussed about it and so far the only thing i know would need change is the lost of turn undead. Also, he also mentioned about how customizable the classes are (rage powers, rogue talents, mysteries, bloodline powers, etc). But I don't know how to add that "customability" to the class. So, my questions are:

1. Does anyone know of a good translation of the factotum?

2. Any suggestions to make it more customizable?

Toliudar
2014-04-08, 09:32 AM
Since the factotum's whole shtick is adapting on the fly, it might be easier to suggest a specific archetype if you told us what you wanted your pathfinder factotum to do that the 3.5 one isn't already doing. The loss of turning undead is, in my opinion, a pretty minor loss, especially if the ability to do some minor healing is being retained.

prufock
2014-04-08, 09:49 AM
The factotum is already pretty customizable with its choice of spells, which pretty easily matches that of rage powers, rogue talents, etc. You could fill in those couple dead levels with additional spells, so you'd have 10 by the end instead of 8.

grarrrg
2014-04-08, 10:01 AM

No.
But it looks 'good to go' as-is.
The only hang ups are Opportunistic Piety, which would just become Positive Energy Channeling.

Pathfinder also doesn't like dead levels (6 and 18) on non-casters, but Factotum has a good bit of spell access already, so these are fine.

Skill conversion isn't a problem either, as they already have "all skills" as Class skills.

Not entirely sure what you mean here.

The whole point of the Factotum is that it is good at anything on the fly, and thus doesn't 'need' to be customizable.

Are you talking about things like "Spend 1 Inspiration to gain access to a Rogue Talent for the rest of combat" type things?

Or do you mean a Factotum Archetype?

Or just an extra list of selectable bonuses? Like giving them "Factotum Talents"?

DaOldeWolf
2014-04-08, 10:33 AM
Since the factotum's whole shtick is adapting on the fly, it might be easier to suggest a specific archetype if you told us what you wanted your pathfinder factotum to do that the 3.5 one isn't already doing. The loss of turning undead is, in my opinion, a pretty minor loss, especially if the ability to do some minor healing is being retained.

Yeah, I agree its pretty straightforward but it was better to check out if there were adaptations or something besides that I should take care of.

The factotum is already pretty customizable with its choice of spells, which pretty easily matches that of rage powers, rogue talents, etc. You could fill in those couple dead levels with additional spells, so you'd have 10 by the end instead of 8.

i don't know. Even classes of casters received something besides spells. i DONT THINK i can count that as "customize".

No.
But it looks 'good to go' as-is.
The only hang ups are Opportunistic Piety, which would just become Positive Energy Channeling.

Pathfinder also doesn't like dead levels (6 and 18) on non-casters, but Factotum has a good bit of spell access already, so these are fine.

Skill conversion isn't a problem either, as they already have "all skills" as Class skills.

Now, that you mention the opportunistic piety. I have a question, is there any way to make the factotum channel negative energy? Asking because my race will be some kind of undead from a race created by the DM.

Not entirely sure what you mean here.

The whole point of the Factotum is that it is good at anything on the fly, and thus doesn't 'need' to be customizable.

Are you talking about things like "Spend 1 Inspiration to gain access to a Rogue Talent for the rest of combat" type things?

Or do you mean a Factotum Archetype?

Or just an extra list of selectable bonuses? Like giving them "Factotum Talents"?

That bit extra that lets you be different from other of the same class. Things like hexes, domains, etc. I

I was thinking about suggesting on making cunning brilliance a progressive ability to add a bit more custom ability to the class. Basically, it would be at level 7 they can choose one class ability available at level 5. Then at level 13, they can choose two class abilities up to level 10 and then at 19 it would be like the current cunning brilliance. not sure if it would sound good to add versatility.

jedipilot24
2014-04-08, 11:43 AM
I am thinking on using factotum for a pathfinder campaign. The DM is allowing 3.5 stuff as long as it gets translated to the other system. We discussed about it and so far the only thing i know would need change is the lost of turn undead. Also, he also mentioned about how customizable the classes are (rage powers, rogue talents, mysteries, bloodline powers, etc). But I don't know how to add that "customability" to the class. So, my questions are:

Here's a Factotum Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?272130-Getting-the-Facts-Straight-A-Factotum-Handbook-(WIP-PEACH))that includes suggestions for converting it to Pathfinder.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-08, 02:49 PM
I would consider removing 1-2 skill point per level due to pathfinders combining of several key skills commonly taken by factotums. They are likely to get some of it back due to favored class bonuses, but perception vs spot+listen, stealth vs hide+move sci, ect...

This keeps them more in line with the number of skills a factotum is expected to have maxed at any given point.

Roog
2014-04-09, 03:56 PM
I would consider removing 1-2 skill point per level due to pathfinders combining of several key skills commonly taken by factotums. They are likely to get some of it back due to favored class bonuses, but perception vs spot+listen, stealth vs hide+move sci, ect...

Yes, just like the way Rogues dropped from 8 skills/level to 6 skills/level when they were converted to Pathfinder.

magwaaf
2014-04-16, 09:59 PM
my buddy has one as a dmnpc tryng it out in our pathf sinder game (he rarely gets any use) but ithfinder w fits in with pathfinder well as is.