PDA

View Full Version : New Ray IC

drack
2014-04-08, 09:49 AM
It was a warm and genital day that lord Ridkard Ray had invited Lady Nadia to join him in walking the royal gardens. He had said it was for matters of state, but his face still broke out into a wide grin when he caught sight of her.

I figure we may as well have some RPing here if we're going to have stuff to talk about IC. =p

Glarx
2014-04-08, 10:50 AM
Wearing a more traditionally Westerosi garment, the Queen was a sight to behold -- although she wore a flattering black dress in the style of King's Landing, she still wore several Dornish accoutrements, most obviously her jewelry. Ser Manwoody trailed some distance behind, respectful but protective, and beyond him some number of her Dornish guards could be seen. "Good day, my lord. It is so refreshing to walk through these gardens and not think of the tragedy that has so afflicted its plants recently. Or its land, I suppose... you said you wished to speak to me of matters of state, Lord Ray?"

drack
2014-04-08, 11:02 AM
No guards of house ray could be seen, but he himself stood tall and strong in a blue and red outfit with the Ray symbol above the left breast, the embroidery so fine that it appeared as if real flowers and gemstones were interwoven with the fabric. Laying a heavy arm across her shoulders he began to walk with a slow even pace through the garden. "My lady, as much as I hate to say it, with all that has transpired, I fear I cannot yet accompany you to drone and breath in the wonders of your city." He allowed that to sit heavily in the air, waiting to see how she took it.

Glarx
2014-04-08, 11:08 AM
"That's understandable. Those plans were made before the Targaryens had been assassinated and I had volunteered myself to be the unpopular first ruler after that tragic event. Dorne will be there, for you and I both. I'm unsure when the next time I'll be able to return to my homeland will be... the thought scares me. For the safety of my son, I've decided not to bring my family here yet. Perhaps after the coronation... but even then, if the Targaryens should still live, and if they should take exception with my actions, I would rather I die than watch my son die, too." There was a peculiar heaviness about her voice. Nadia had certainly been thinking about this.

"But thank you for letting me know, Lord Ray. I do hope to send you some of our fine wines and fruits regardless, if you'll accept a little hospitality from the South."

drack
2014-04-08, 11:46 AM
Ridkard smiled gently. "Your hospitalizes are always welcome in any lands where I might rule."

Pausing he chuckles self mockingly. "Still every night I fear that I am not doing enough, that I can never be enough. I am the youngest son of three, and my father has always been the Great Marris Ray, a man who could do anything and make anything happen, a man who could lead armies and who could dance the dance of the courts better then any other, a man whom has left us when his wife, when my mother..." Ridkard pauses, and covering his face with a massive hand takes a slow even breath. When he removes his hand, some of that pain that had lain so bear was gone. "Sometimes I think my brother is right, that it should have been him ruling our lands, that he would have made a better king, and other times I get the inkling feeling that my father, even mad, is still twice the man I am, and still rules the realm. Others may blame gremlins, but when I'm too far in my drinks and something needs doing, it always seems to be done. And when that happens... when that happens I can't help but think if I'm really the right kind of person to lead anything. Even in the martial arts, harkard has lived by the sword and lance, and as big as I am, I could never win. The only think I've ever really been good at is archery. Sitting up at the top of storms end on a calm day with a bow, watching the birds fly, the waves lapse, and the fields wave for miles about. Up there it feels like I could stretch my hand out and touch anywhere on the whole of westerose, and then I come down and again all I can do is have a good time... What kind of High lord does that make me? What kind of man does that make me?"

As if suddenly realizing who he was talking to, he laughs, a great laugh filled with jolly merriment once more. "But look at me, telling this to you. You who is expected to rule the whole of the seven kingdoms. They couldn't have hopped for a better ruler."

Glarx
2014-04-08, 02:33 PM
"Your father is not a subject which I am willing to discuss with you, I'm afraid. My personal feelings must be pushed to the side, but still..." She sighed and shook her head, moving to sit on a bench in the sun. "You seem like a fine ruler, Ridkard. If your father is actually performing these things for you, then once he passes you will be better for it. Who would learn self control and governance when someone else could do it for you when you're drunk? One cannot have all their battles fought for them, if they wish to grow as people. Or as rulers, I suppose.

"I think it makes you a fine man, Ridkard. You'll continue to grow, to learn, and you'll be better and better. You think I might be a fine ruler? Then look out, Westeros! Ridkard Ray will some day outshine me in every way!" She smiled to herself and looked over at the giant. "You aren't afraid of the smallfolk. That's something spectacular."

drack
2014-04-08, 03:25 PM
"Oh... sorry." He replies, recalling her prior experience with Marris.

"It is not the small folk I fear, but their expectations for me I do. How is it that even you can find such faith to intrust to me?" Ridkard looks down at her, his eyes clouded with uncertainty, and yet still bearing the full weight of his focus.

Glarx
2014-04-09, 01:19 PM
Nadia raised her eyebrows. "How can I find faith to entrust in you? It's a perfectly valid question. Your countenance, my experiences with you thus far have given me no reason to believe you could not perform the duties I wish you to perform. And because I'm a dead woman walking. It's quite easy to have faith when you're already living on borrowed time, Ridkard."

drack
2014-04-09, 04:13 PM
"Dead woman walking, living on borrowed time, you speak as if you're going to the gallows, not the throne. Why would you think yourself at an end?" Ridkard seems genuinely shocked as if he hadn't considered the possibility.

Glarx
2014-04-09, 04:18 PM
"Because the Kingdoms will want to blame me for the death of the Targaryens. If not the smallfolk, the Lords will. I'll have assassins hunting me every waking hour. Every drop of liquid, every morsel of food, it will have to be tested and tried. I will not survive the Throne, even if there are no Targaryens left." She looked at the sky and gave a smile twinged with melancholy. "But someone must. And I've got the strongest claim. My mother married my father, not because of ambition or love, but because it was the will of my grandfather. We had saved Dorne, stopped our neighbors from starving to death, set out an infrastructure that would allow the kingdom to thrive.

"It's my duty, to keep the Seven Kingdoms together and prevent the whole of the nation from crashing down around us, fracturing and splitting and forgetting our ancient vows. And that's why I feel I am not long for this world, Ridkard. I hope to do some good, before a poison chokes my heart, or an assassin's bolt lodges in my skull. Perhaps I'll succeed. Who can tell?"

drack
2014-04-09, 04:24 PM
Why that's preposterous. You cannot ascend the throne intending to die! What good will that do? No, no, far better to ascend with a conviction to survive it. Still if you're that concerned perhaps we should move the funeral and coronation back several months to make sure the other high lords might have a chance to come. That way at least you'll better know how secure your reign may be.

Glarx
2014-04-09, 06:05 PM
"We can't postpone the coronation. We need to secure ourselves against Stark, ensure the safety of the Kingdoms' constitution... we must not be weak in the face of aggression."

drack
2014-04-09, 06:34 PM
"We could postpone the coronation." It seems for a minuet as if his sound strategic mind has returned, his eyes sharp once more. "It will take months for us to gather our militias, and regardless of what the Freys say, I have trouble imagining him moving all of his people back to the north so quickly. Still if the frays will not stop them we haven't much control of the situation, and they could always head for the kingsroad even if the Frays attempted to cut them off. Their reply only suggests that we should question the loyalties of our dear Frays. Furthermore any successors of the other kingdoms may come forward, and delaying the funeral would allow you to gauge who might still be more loyal to the purist ideals of the targarians, and who might be more willing to bow to their new queen." Hastly he adds. "Though, it is just a notion I received form a correspondent..."

Glarx
2014-04-09, 06:44 PM
The Queen gave a little mirthless laugh. "A correspondent? I have no such correspondents. My mother never believed in spies. Well, no, that's not true -- she didn't support in the use of spies, she definitely acknowledged their existence. My military is already gathered: it will take time to move them from Dorne, perhaps, but they are prepared to do so. One of the benefits of a standing army, I suppose."

She sighed, rubbing her temples. "I have the blood of dragons in me, Ridkard. My family has married into the Targaryens, and they into ours. I have a claim to the Iron Throne, but perhaps more importantly, I possess a responsibility to protect the realm. No one who isn't a direct descendant of the Targaryens has a stronger claim than I do -- waiting for others to press theirs will only encourage strife. It seems we are a hydra -- when our ruling family is killed, three more families will rise to the occasion. It is my fear we may very well see a hundred new heads, choking the body of blood and killing the whole."

drack
2014-04-09, 07:05 PM
Harkard shrugs. "Whatever you see as best. Still there is hardly a time when one challenged the throne targaryan throne."

Oddly enough we're before the ninepenny war back when the throne really wasn't challenged much.

"And any chance of gathering additional support may go a long ways."

Glarx
2014-04-09, 07:12 PM
"And I will seek support. I will seek the Lords of Rheyne and Blacktyde, Graugeld and Stark. I will look to those lesser lords who serve as bannermen to the Great Houses. It is not my intention to antagonize anyone, to polarize the Kingdoms. But we cannot be a realm without a leader. There must be a king -- or, I suppose, a queen. Taxes must be collected, debts paid, roads patrolled and maintained. There are functions that must continue on, and the mechanism of government may not be halted simply because a few people died, no matter who those few people were. The purpose of the Crown is not to sanctify and glorify one family: it is to protect the realm and keep Westeros safe, secure, and prosperous."

Nadia flipped her hair over her ear. "But you had something more than my little fatalistic musings in mind when you asked me out here. What was on your mind, Ridkard?"

drack
2014-04-09, 07:35 PM
"Yes, I told you I must return to my lands, but there is more. With our fleets weakened, Marris has barricaded himself into dragon-stone fearing some manner of dark prophecy nonsense, and Bella is concerned for her future husband." Ridkard hesitates. "Harkard is to march on Harronhall, but I thought you should know that he intends to continue afterwards towards the westerlands to make sure Bardif is alright. I'm also quite curious myself what might be done of the ironborn while they too are gripped in a time of political uncertainty."

Glarx
2014-04-09, 07:36 PM
"I don't think I've met Bella yet," Nadia said thoughtfully, her face devoid of emotion. "The purpose of the troop movement is to secure the border against the Starks. Do you believe the Westerlands will fall to the North?"

drack
2014-04-09, 07:49 PM
"No, however Harkard is his own man, and Bardif was to wed a Rheyne in the coming months. i cannot blame him for taking some riders once the fort is secure, and if you are to be the reigning regent it is probably best you know." Ridkard shrugs as if it were nothing of note. He had never taken to the martial arts as Harkard had, and he could only trust in his brother's sound judgement in such matters. Sure he had played games of war and strategy as a kid, but he had been told that it was different on the battlefield, in the heat of things. A place he fervently hopped he never would be.

Glarx
2014-04-09, 07:59 PM
She shrugged. "I suppose so. I know nothing of military strategy, so if the commander of your army wants to leave his army and go trot around an area that's not currently threatening to destabilize the entirety of our way of life, then why not?" Nadia rubbed her temples again. "I want you to be the Hand of the Queen, you know."

drack
2014-04-09, 08:03 PM
That caught Ridkard by surprise. Slowly he comes to a stop, his mouth moving awkwardly as he struggles for words. "But didn't we just get through discussing why I shouldn't even have the responsibilities I have?"

Glarx
2014-04-09, 08:06 PM
"You have a propensity to state your opinion on a subject, and then after that discussion, believe everyone involved agreed with what you said. No, I strangely remember telling you that you're great at what you do and that I have faith in you. Although I'm revising my statement concerning your memory..."

drack
2014-04-09, 08:19 PM
Ridkard laughs deeply at this. You may be right you may be right.

Yes, you said you had confidence in me, but as flattering as that may be, it does not change who I am. Are you sure you want me?

Glarx
2014-04-09, 08:22 PM
"You were the one who reminded me of the coronation. You're the one who considered the smallfolk. You're a source of strength and comfort. And if you're close, I can slowly work my way into your heart so you will ask for my hand in marriage. Are there any reasons you can think of I shouldn't want you to help me and act as the Hand of the Queen?"

drack
2014-04-09, 08:30 PM
"Well none I have not yet given. I suppose you have a hand when you have need of it..."

Why was I suddenly tempted to make a wise crack about the whole "king ****s, hand whips" motto? =p

drack
2014-04-13, 02:57 PM
Seeing that Nadia would not be swayed, Ridkard's mighty laugh sprung forth once more. "Vary well then lady Nadia, I see you will make a fine regent, but swear me this if I am to be the hand to a king. Swear to me that you will hear my words when I speak and consider my thoughts, that I am not there as some decoration or serving maid."

Glarx
2014-04-13, 04:11 PM
"Ridkard, have I given you any reason to believe I wouldn't? When you reminded me of the coronation, I rebuffed you -- and yet you argued your point and I ceded to it. You and your brother both suggested that I investigate establishing a regency for Dorne before I became Queen -- I have investigated the possibility. When have I not considered what you have told me?"

drack
2014-04-13, 04:19 PM
Ridkard grins. "Yes, but I've never been a traditional ruler and I may well not make a traditional hand. It gladdens me to think that a little rank and power won't go to your head." Chuckling at the thought he cups it in his massive hand. "Yes, I think it's just the right size as is."

Glarx
2014-04-13, 04:20 PM
The soon-to-be Queen pressed her face against his paw. "It is the role of the Hand to speak sense to the King. They exist to keep one grounded, to remind the Crown of its duty to the smallfolk, and also to advise in matters of war and state. I have no reason to believe you will not function perfectly in that role."

drack
2014-04-13, 04:47 PM
"You would have me speak nonsense then?" Ridkard asks jovially.

Glarx
2014-04-13, 05:08 PM
Nadia raised an eyebrow. "You believe the concerns of the smallfolk to be nonsensical?"

drack
2014-04-13, 05:11 PM
Ridkard raises an eyebrow in kind, a twinkle dancing in his eye. "You don't expect me to speak sense, yet you brook no nonsense? What ever am I to do with you?"

Glarx
2014-04-13, 05:12 PM
"Did I say you always spoke nonsense?" Nadia's eyebrow remained raised.

drack
2014-04-13, 05:29 PM
Ridkard shakes his head dimly dismissing the little banter. "In any case, before you think to settle any regency of drone, I would have you know that I'm intending to have some work done on storms end, and I just happen to hear that the dornish are mining marble that might be on the markets for trade." As an afterthought he adds, laughing. "Why I hear you even have a team of magicians to enchant each stone as it's told bran the builder had done."

Ah, the lines of shiny white light that run through my monitor had it look like you said "the role of the hand isn't to speak sense to the king. It's to....." =p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 06:29 PM
The Princess of Dorne laughed, shrugging. "Is that what they do? I wondered why so many guildmembers weren't paying their dues -- I suppose they aren't necessary if we have enchanted stone. Ridkard, it may be better to buy your marble from House Mountry. My only concern is that I do not want it to appear as though my ascension to the Throne has given me undo economic influence, and I'm erecting trade agreements to the detriment of the Seven Kingdoms. How much marble would you need?"

drack
2014-04-13, 06:47 PM
Ridkard laughs heartily, placing an arm across Nadia's shoulders. "Now don't get ahead of yourself my lady, this is no treaty with any royal highness, this is a treaty with drone, and I don't much appreciate the insinuation that I would offer more trade to the crown then to any kingdom. I trade with you because it makes more sense. Why my merchants could bring stone from your land within a month or two after everything's settled, and with twenty seven hundred workers, well they can probably spend a month or two finding all the leaks and holes, but they'll need stones to fix them, and why not get the 'enchanted' kind. Now tell me, what could the donnish folk need?"

Dunko doesn't want to trade because he doesn't know how much a unit signifies... =( I'll be trying again with him later with other goods.
Mind you Ridkard doesn't seem to think much of the whole "enchanted rocks" being special, but he seems to think it a good running joke to tell his friends afterwards. =p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 07:16 PM
"I'm not concerned about what I think -- I understand the sentiment. I'm concerned about what they'll think. The world at large, the nobles of the Seven Kingdoms. Dorne is self-sufficient at the moment. We are an isolationist people, more content to worry about what happens within our borders than to worry about the health of the Kingdoms. For that reason, I'm something of an oddity. I suppose I understand we will need those people more familiar with winter to survive it with our engorged population. Nothing compared to yours, certainly, but still."

Nadia sighed and rubbed her eyes with the backs of her hands. "If you tell me how much marble you need, I'll certainly consider it. But I believe I'm in the business of simply buying everything I can. I have an economic plan to help secure peace through trade. Paying more than the objects are worth. Paying incrementally more each year there's peace between the Kingdom in question and the Crown. Those lords who are peaceful and honorable will receive greater economic prosperity than those who threaten the Crown. I believe the net effect will be one of improved relations among the lords."

drack
2014-04-13, 07:35 PM
Ridkard grins calmly, speaking gently since this seemed to mean quite a bit to her. "Why prepare for a winter that will never reach you? Any further from it and you'll be upon the summer islands! As for this plan, it couldn't hurt, but one should never let a plan dictate every move, especially when made while out of sight of the still newer opportunities, and why plan trade only to shrink away from it when offered? As for how much, I confess I haven't a clue. I'm no builder to be sure, but could you afford fifty or two hundred?" (units... however much that is...) =\

Glarx
2014-04-13, 07:40 PM
"I suppose my thoughts were a little muddied. I'll buy whatever you have to export, Lord Ray, and I'll pay about the Realm average for the first year, increasing by some amount each year of peace. I could part with some marble, but I still believe the Mountrys would make for better partners in this particular endeavor -- most of my marble is already sold. It commands a high price, enchanted as it is." She grinned at the thought of her marble being enchanted. It was, however, quite expensive. "As for winter... it hampers Dorne, if nowhere near as powerfully as it does most of Westeros. And we have had exceptional expansion in our population since the last winter. I'm unwilling to plan around an isolationist dogma that may end up with the mass extinction of so many tribes and villages."

drack
2014-04-13, 08:00 PM
"Mass extinction?" Ridkard laughs. "You speak as if your people are valuable game, and you the woodland caretaker."

OK, about time I look at the price of marble-by the gods! What do they put in that stuff, the human remains of a valorous army!? =p

I detract my number by a factor of 100... can't really do that with a two digit number like 50 can I...? Fortunatly Ridkard is smooth...

"Oh well, if you truly think it better that I deal with the Mounteys for marble I will, but then perhaps your people have something else to trade for the potatoes and turnips that my lands produce aplenty?"

Glarx
2014-04-13, 08:06 PM
Nadia simply smiled. "We have a dozen contracts for exporting our goods already. The only thing I could suggest would be gold for those things."

Remains of a valorous army and the heart of an unloved child.

drack
2014-04-13, 08:15 PM
Ridkard looks somewhat dismayed "Do you have no weapons or exotic sands to trade in then? Nothing that bespeaks your nation's ways to mine own?"

I guess that explains the price... kinda figured at the start that I wouldn't need any, so put nobody on marble. =p Still there are other things for builders to build, and I figured infrastructure would defiantly come in handy later on, so invested a fair bit.

Glarx
2014-04-13, 08:19 PM
"We have a fair amount of things that are unique to Dorne, certainly. Pomegranates, citrus fruits, rare foods of that nature. The problem is, we've already committed to selling them. If you'd like to buy the contract out, you're welcome to -- but it's higher than the Realm average. Gold dragons, meanwhile, are not unique to Dorne. But they're remarkably useful for buying things with."

I don't think you technically need any marble, anyhow. :smalltongue:

drack
2014-04-13, 08:24 PM
Ridkard blinks in astonishment. "You've sold every last pomegranate and citrus in drone?"

Were it food for food, not really sure that having sold out should matter unless you've already traded all the pomegranates for corn and snowberries already. =p

marble: well... yes and no actually. Storm's end I probably wouldn't dream of building taller and thicker without using marble, but there are countless more forts, castles, and outposts out there to build/repair/improve so I suppose I have quite the luxury of time for now. =p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 08:28 PM
"They're spoken for, in a matter of speaking. Each bushel has a purpose, be it to continue the cultivation of additional fruits, or to be turned into wine for the royal family. We give out a fair number of the fruits to our friends -- I had a basket for the King, the same sort I sent to him when I ascended to the Throne of Sunspear. But we have trade agreements to sell our rarities already, yes. We've been active in international trade for at least five years now, there're aren't any exports that haven't been contracted to my recollection."

But marble isn't necessary for those. Gold is. Gold is magically converted by the rules into the materials you need, without the micromanaging of trying to figure out the composition of each and every fort. :smallwink:

drack
2014-04-13, 08:38 PM
Ridkard shakes his head grinning with bemusement at how befuddled her words seemed to him at times. Very well, we will sell you foods then, that is one thing we have plenty of. How much could you find use for?

But I've already found the composition of every fort... =p

:furious: EVERY LAST ONE!! :furious:

um...

"Dorne is self-sufficient at the moment. We are an isolationist people, more content to worry about what happens within our borders than to worry about the health of the Kingdoms.

"[color='DarkOrchid']yes. We've been active in international trade for at least five years now, there're aren't any exports that haven't been contracted to my recollection."
=p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 08:48 PM
"We'll find use for every bushel you sell us. Any excess you're willing to sell will go to feeding my people. I'm sure they'll enjoy a bit of diversity in their foodstuffs."

Historically, Dorne is an isolationist people. Nadia took the throne five years ago and has been working to change that. There's no contradiction here. :smallwink:

drack
2014-04-13, 08:55 PM
"51283 sacks of potatoes and turnips then. I can only hope that it you can find enough mouths to feed." Ridkard grins merrily to himself. It was a far better use then letting them spoil somewhere.

eh... heh... still an isolationist people then? =p Plus how would you still have westerland/easterland contracts? =\

Glarx
2014-04-13, 08:59 PM
"Let's see... the realm average is a golden dragon to ten bushels. So that will be... five thousand one hundred twenty eight dragons and three silver stags, yeah? And I'm willing to offer you the Economic Treaty to increase that by a percent each year, if you'd like."

Because while Nadia might travel and she might know people, the average citizen of Dorne doesn't. So yes, Dorne is still an isolationist people. How do the Martells in the universe know people outside of Dorne, despite Dorne still being a separate culture? They do, though, they have contacts outside of Dorne. It's not inconceivable. :smallwink:

drack
2014-04-13, 09:23 PM
"Sounds right to me"

Inconceivable, no, just smells of wordplay. =p Fun stuff, thought I'm trying to make my characters worse at it then I am.

Anywho coppers exist in SoI&F, "counting coppers", they bear the seven pointed star as I recall. "copper stars" or in the seven penny king wars, pennies. =p

Edit: Ai yi yi, loosing my mind =p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 09:29 PM
"No, I apologize, I forgot three pennies. These things can make all the difference. Would you like to enter into one of my Economic Treaties, though? And are you interested in selling anything other than food?"

Yup, sorry about that, I hadn't transferred the number over properly. :smallredface:

The ruler isn't her people. If you think it's just wordplay, that's your prerogative, but it isn't. I'll leave it at that, just as you leave out the mechanics.

drack
2014-04-13, 09:37 PM
"Apart from some blacksmiths if you wish something commissioned, I fear my lands yield me nothing more to sell. I know my brother has wood, after all I never stop hearing how that's all he has." Ridkard laughs at this. Sure it had been anoying at first, but over time it had become something of a running joke... to him at least.

No, you had it right, for some reason I was thinking a factor of ten less in my favor then it is =\ edited it out

Nah, I've been called a "mind messer" or worse for less, so I'll have them see it as word play. Irl I don't so much, but in earnest anything done with words can be considered playing with them. =p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 09:39 PM
"I had assumed you spoke on behalf of all of the lands held by the Rays. I'd forgotten you partitioned your lands... that would explain why you have no interest in exporting metals or gems, as those would fall under your father's purview, yes?"

drack
2014-04-13, 09:46 PM
"Yes, I'm afraid it would." Ridkard replies somewhat apologetically. "In four actually." He adds, noting the Mountries who were of the same loins as his brothers and sisters.

Main divide between mountry and Ray is that the Rays blame measters for their mother's death and hold them in contempt as a result.

Glarx
2014-04-13, 09:52 PM
"Sorry, in four? What do you mean?" Nadia, not having mentioned how many parts he'd partitioned his land into, didn't understand the 'in four' comment. "I see. Your lands will suffer for Marris' impropriety, you know."

Is Dunkoro still on board for that? I thought his interpretation of Mountry's matrilinear nature was at odds with your interpretation of Marris' role in things.

drack
2014-04-13, 09:59 PM
"How will they suffer?" Ridkard asks, perplexed.

Dunno, I really only made up up to Marris and his wife, so I don't really mind such for former heads, I was more pointing out an instance in which it was not so. We hadn't really spoken more on it since then, so I'm left somewhat unsure as to what's to come of it.

Glarx
2014-04-13, 10:03 PM
"An enormous loss of profit. And while I'm happy to help you, your brother -- who, I admit, has insulted me nearly as severely as Lord Marris did -- or your sister, who I've yet to meet, I will provide no aid to Lord Marris until he apologizes. His actions were..." She shook her head. "Regardless. I won't hire assassins to attempt to kill him, nor will I embargo your people. There's primarily a loss of profit to consider, as the percent increase for metals and gems would be significantly higher than that of food."

drack
2014-04-13, 10:13 PM
Ridkard shrugs as if to say he didn't mind. "Marris is Marris. I played him at stones as a kid and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that whatever you do, whatever tricks you use, you're always playing right into his hand. I've always thought that planning must have drove him half to death even before..." he lets the thought hang there.

Glarx
2014-04-13, 10:15 PM
"Perhaps he knew I had the highest claim. Perhaps not. Threatening my life and making me wonder if it was already my time to die, when the King had yet to meet the Stranger? I don't care what plan he has. Indeed, I don't believe he has a plan. But as I said, I don't wish to insult you by talking about your father, so forgive me for mentioning him."

drack
2014-04-13, 10:20 PM
"It is forgotten then, and I ought to be gone, but I will return in but a month or two."

You got anything else? I'm running quite low on topics. =p

Glarx
2014-04-13, 10:24 PM
"I hope to see you at the coronation, then, Lord Ray."

Nope, that seems pretty good.

drack
2014-05-08, 12:18 PM
A servant informs Nadia that on the following morn, Alyssa has invited her to break bread together at the seventh hour.

Glarx
2014-05-08, 12:21 PM
"That's lovely. Thank you," she told her servant, and went back to her work. The next day, with her various guards, Nadia arrived at wherever the Ray woman's abode was.

drack
2014-05-08, 12:33 PM
Having taken up in the red keep, as was any high lord or lady's due, Alyssa Ray seems to have made herself quite at home. Within her room a simple table of silver maple lies with a lace cloth not quite covering it. Several plates have been lain out with everything from smoked bacon to creme tarts and pitchers of various juices. Alyssa herself is in a simple black robe adorned with dark gemstones, which seems to blend seamlessly into her hair. Politely she gestures to a second chair. "Won't you join me lady Nadia?"

Glarx
2014-05-08, 12:36 PM
Nadia smiled at the woman and nodded. "Of course. Thank you, Lady Alyssa." She sat in the mentioned chair, her hands in her lap. She wore the diaphanous silks of her land, heavy jewelry draped across her body, and her unruly hair framed her face in dark brown. "I'm no longer destined for the crown, so I admit some confusion as to the purpose of this meeting."

drack
2014-05-08, 12:47 PM
"Why you don't mean to say you've never been invited to breakfast with someone before that foolish notion of regency crossed your mind now, are you?" Alyssa replies rhetorically.

Glarx
2014-05-08, 12:51 PM
Nadia tilted her head to the side. "Rarely by women," she answered, noting Alyssa's choice of words. "When you sent word, I was worried something had happened to Lord Ray."

drack
2014-05-08, 12:58 PM
"No, no, my father is still very much alive, though I fear his condition prevents him from traveling quite so frequently as he once may have. Still may I leave youu no doubt, none morns the king's passing more deeply."

Smiling kindly she adds. "In any case I thought we ladies should perhaps get to know each other a bit better. Surely you have other interests beyond talk of state."

Glarx
2014-05-08, 01:02 PM
"Actually, Lady Ray, I meant your brother, Ridkard. As for interests beyond those of state, of course I do. I enjoy poetry. I enjoy men. I enjoy women. I am interested in jewelry and art, in the affairs of alchemists and historians. Dorne has a tradition of oral history that has enthralled me since I was a little girl. And what of yourself?"

drack
2014-05-08, 01:29 PM
Pretending not to understand the donnish woman's sexual insinuations, Alyssa carries on, after all it was far too early to suggest that a high lady might be whoring herself out on the streets. "I quite enjoy embroidery work, why one can make anything of silk ribbons. I enjoy buying and commissioning new dresses, and watching the handsome knights spar. Most of all I'd say that I enjoy the company of friends, are you a friend lady Nadia?"

True to her words, Alyssa has hardly been seen without a small group of other ladies.

Glarx
2014-05-08, 01:31 PM
"A friend of whom, Lady Ray?"

drack
2014-05-08, 01:33 PM
"That is what I am asking, to whom are you a friend?"

Glarx
2014-05-08, 01:34 PM
"We don't have the time to list everyone I consider a friend, Lady Ray. Was there anyone specifically you were wondering? This line of inquiry is certainly peculiar."

drack
2014-05-08, 01:41 PM
"Peculiar lady Nadia? Alyssa laughs playfully before, smiling gently as if explaining a simple concept to a child, she continues. "I would hardly think so. Why everyone has friends, just as truly as everyone has acquaintances and contacts. Still, It is but a question, as I said, I wanted to meet you and allow us each a chance to learn more about one another. Are your friends such a tightly guarded secret?"

Glarx
2014-05-08, 01:45 PM
Nadia raised an eyebrow. "Your condescension does you no favors, Lady Ray. I have many friends. I do not know where to begin listing them. You could equally ask me to list every hair I have on my head. It isn't a secret, but it is an enormous list. However, Lady Ray, you'll have to excuse me. I do have a series of meetings for the day." She stood, bowed her head, and left the remarkably rude Ray.

drack
2014-05-08, 02:01 PM
So no friend stands out or comes to mind? I suppose if you are busy you may go then about your business. It is a shame you will be missing breakfast then.

BelGareth
2014-05-10, 10:20 AM
You guys kill me, quite an excellent thread, good job!