PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Foreign Song

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 08:13 PM
Alright what's your favorite song not made in your country? Mine's Rewrite by Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR0mjQgPIvw

Amotis
2007-02-05, 08:48 PM
Not made in my country? That counts a lot. The beatles ain't from America.
I think a better way would be "what's your favorite song not in your native tongue?"

Right now I feel like cafe pop. So "L'Appuntamento by Omella Vanoni "

Midnight Son
2007-02-05, 09:06 PM
Mine would be Rosas by La Oreja De Van Gogh.

heretic
2007-02-05, 09:10 PM
Ich Will by Rammstein.

B-Man
2007-02-05, 09:18 PM
Well, my favourite song that isn't from my country would be any Metal I get from the States. :smalltongue:

* re-reads the title of thread *

Oh! Foreign! Heh.

Ichirin no Hana by High and Mighty Color
followed closely by
Scenario by Saboten

ElfLad
2007-02-05, 09:23 PM
Sie Liebt Dich - The Beatles.

It's "She Loves You" in German. It's both from another country (England) and in another language.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-05, 09:28 PM
Well, I only seem to be coming up with things like the Confutatis Maledictis from Mozart's Requiem, The Ride of the Valkyries, or various German Christmas carols, so one of them, I guess.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 09:34 PM
Classical music is usually sung in latin, german, or italian anyway. Does that count?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-05, 09:57 PM
I'm not exactly certain what the name of it is, but when she sings it, it's my favorite :smallbiggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHgZRBrWZ8c

Hey, it's catchy!

(believe it or not she's in her twenties and already has a couple kids)

Also happens to be one of the few foreign songs I know (I'm not that well versed in THIS country's songs), so, y'know, didn't have much of a choice either way.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-05, 10:12 PM
Classical music is usually sung in latin, german, or italian anyway. Does that count?
Well, none of those is my native language, so as far as I'm concerned, they count for me.

Allandaros
2007-02-05, 10:18 PM
Malaguena Salerosa from the Kill Bill Vol. 2 Soundtrack.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:20 PM
Well awesome then. Bizet's Carmen is high for me. As is Mozat's Requiem. As is Nessum Dorman. Or I like some of the Five's Opera's. And Dimitri's. And Strav's. And Max's. And JS. Wagner too. And and and! Heck, I like a lot of opera. Too hard...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-05, 10:21 PM
Hey, wait, I have like a dozen celtic CD's being sung in gaelic. How in the boop did I forget that... will have to listen and find my favorite.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-05, 10:23 PM
Tunak Tunak Tun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7gx05c3sPs)!

Wayril
2007-02-05, 10:24 PM
Hey, wait, I have like a dozen celtic CD's being sung in gaelic. How in the boop did I forget that... will have to listen and find my favorite.

Same Here. I don't know where they're from but they're great to listen to in the morning.

I've got my alarm clock set up to wake me up with stein um stein by Rammstein (that gets me out of bed) and then some Enya (Really does help waking you up) I guess she sort of counts as foreign since she does since in gaelic from time to time.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:26 PM

Hehe, I knew someone would mention that.

And VT, what kind of gaelic music is it?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-05, 10:27 PM
Yeah, love Enya. Though their is also another group I love called Celtic Women.

Enya's is more... whimsical. CW's gets the blood going.

And VT, what kind of gaelic music is it?
Err... there's more than one kind of gaelic?

SDF
2007-02-05, 10:30 PM
I enjoy Million Voicesby Wyclef Jean.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:30 PM
Well is it like inspirational? Background? Folk?

Midnight Son
2007-02-05, 10:31 PM
I'm not exactly certain what the name of it is, but when she sings it, it's my favorite :smallbiggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHgZRBrWZ8c

Hey, it's catchy!

(believe it or not she's in her twenties and already has a couple kids)

Also happens to be one of the few foreign songs I know (I'm not that well versed in THIS country's songs), so, y'know, didn't have much of a choice either way.
Alizee is truly a great singer with killer legs. Never can decide if I like her for one more than the other...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-05, 10:32 PM
Hehe, I knew someone would mention that.

And what's wrong with it?

*dances*

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:34 PM
Alizee is truly a great singer with killer legs. Never can decide if I like her for one more than the other...

The left or the right one?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-05, 10:35 PM
Well is it like inspirational? Background? Folk?
Celtic Woman is more folk, while Enya... beats me. I don't really know the difference all that much. I've just always loved celtic in general. Especially the haunting/eerily beautiful stuff.

The left or the right one?
SCHWING! :smallbiggrin:

Also gotta love the eyes. But enough of that...

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:37 PM
Enya, I think, is inspirational. AKA, work place music.

Yeah, gaelic is pretty and poetic.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 10:40 PM
Yeah I prefer Japenese music. I'll never understand how they sing so fast though. Like in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-BPkXpCJf8

SDF
2007-02-05, 10:46 PM
Yeah I prefer Japenese music. I'll never understand how they sing so fast though. Like in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-BPkXpCJf8

Well it isn't nearly as fast as some English rap songs are. I never go too into J-rock, but I found a really cool J-indie band called Number Girl when I was in Tokyo. They sound very similar to Dinosaur Jr.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 10:49 PM
Yeah but I don't really like rap in English because it's too angry for me. Plus in Japan the raps are blended well with techno, hip-hop, and rock elements so even the rap parts are pretty good.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:52 PM
Rap isn't always angry. Some times it flows and it's laid back. Some times it's inbetween.

Eh, I hate bands who sing in Japanese. It sounds bad. The lauguage is too harsh.

Kyrsis
2007-02-05, 10:53 PM
I like a lot of the traditional Okinawan music, ESPECIALLY the Orion Beer Song.
Japanese music is fun to listen to in general, for the most part. I don't usually listen to the radio, but when I do it's typically a Japanese/Okinawan station.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 10:55 PM
I don't know...my parent's house is filled with japanese music. Traditional and folk stuff. I just don't like it. I like the eastern feel and I love analysing it. But singing in Japanese? No thanks.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 10:57 PM
Rap isn't always angry. Some times it flows and it's laid back. Some times it's inbetween.

Eh, I hate bands who sing in Japanese. It sounds bad. The lauguage is too harsh.
I don't think it's possible for a language to sound bad. I mean it's a language. Besides it's not any worse than english music. And yeah rap is for the most par angry or innapropriate.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-05, 10:59 PM
I find that a fair amount of rap isn't angry so much as boastful. Not that that can't be another off-putting tenor for music.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 11:02 PM
Yeah. Rap just isn't my style. I prefer rock and hip-hop blends like the stuff from Orange Range and Asian Kung-Fu Generation.

SDF
2007-02-05, 11:02 PM
Well the way Japanese is structured it has a lot of harsh syllables that can make singing sound abrasive.

English rap has all that and more as well. I think it is, along with country, the musical genres that get blanket judged as a whole regardless of diversity. I think German sounds harsher than Japanese myself, which is one of the reasons I don't like Ramstein.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 11:06 PM
True but the syllables (while hard for english speakers to pronounce, much less sing in) flow well. At the risk of sounding hippy-ish, I think in English Music you start getting into the song and then you here a racial slur or a swear word. In the Japenese music you can just get into the song and not care about what they're saying.

Ravyn
2007-02-05, 11:06 PM
Singing in Japanese depends on the song; you just have to be able to get your tongue around it. (Says the girl who will sing in any language that comes in front of her whether she understands the lyrics or not--fortunately, usually if it's in Japanese I can understand it.) Give me time and I could show you a few things that work better in Japanese than English.

I'm too fond of groups to have a favorite foreign song, or for that matter a favorite song in a foreign language, though one that does stand out for me is Håll om Mig... and, like VT, I listen to a lot of Celtic music. Particularly on hammered dulcimer.

Artega
2007-02-06, 02:56 AM
99 Luft Balloons. 'Nuff said.

Setra
2007-02-06, 03:00 AM
At this point in time

Das Tier In Mir, by E Nomine.

I don't even know the words, but they're so.. hypnotic.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-06, 03:53 AM
Pick a Sigur Ros song, any Sigur Ros song...

Silkenfist
2007-02-06, 04:01 AM
Let's see:

Favorite Song not in my native tongue: See my Top5 list: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
If English does not count: Carl Orff - O Fortuna
If Latin does not count: Finntrol - Asfagelns Död

Don Julio Anejo
2007-02-06, 04:53 AM
Well.. Дурочка (Durochka) by Bi-2 (a Russian rock band)... but since I understand it, it probably doesn't qualify. So either Spieluhr by Rammstein or Maria by Ricky Martin (the Spanish one). Please don't make fun of Ricky Martin! It's an accepting forum and we should accept people of all kinds of sexual orientation (or lack thereof in his case).

Em
2007-02-06, 06:30 AM
Well, my favourite song that isn't from my country would be any Metal I get from the States. :smalltongue:

There's good American metal? The Brits invented it, the Europeans (apart from the French :smallbiggrin:) are doing some great things with it... The Americans are ruining it especially for a 13-year-old audience. :smallmad: America's good for lots of music... but not metal. /rant, could go on for longer... Don't make me...

This is a silly question, because there's too much great music not in English - the English have no great classical composers, for one thing!
(To conclude, I guess that different climates etc. suit different types of music...)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-06, 06:33 AM
I know of at least 3 good American metal bands: Agalloch, Isis and Pelican. They are there, you just have to dig deep and find them.

Silkenfist
2007-02-06, 06:33 AM
There's good American metal? The Brits invented it, the Europeans (apart from the French :smallbiggrin:) are doing some great things with it... The Americans are ruining it especially for a 13-year-old audience. :smallmad: America's good for lots of music... but not metal. /rant, could go on for longer...

Hey. The French have Fairyland and uhm....ok, point taken. And the Americans...well they can make decent riffs but then suddenly they start rapping and saying "Yo" a lot. Might be a culture thing.

Oh, wait there is one exception from the US: 3 inches of blood is decent at least.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-06, 06:41 AM
America shines in the experimental metal/post metal department. Isis, Pelican, and Agalloch are all mighty fine bands. Mastodon is as well. Like I said, to get good American metal you need to find the obscure bands that most people have never heard of.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-06, 08:39 AM
Heh, I have a few things in Scots Gaelic but from bands that usually sing in English. Music in a language that's not English I like:

High and Mighty Colour (mostly japanese with some annoying english)
Runrig (occaisonally Scotts Gaelic)
Malinky (occaisonally Scotts Gaelic)
Rie Fu (often in Japanese but sometimes actually better in English)
Some random Yoko Kanno soundtrack stuff that's usually in English or Spanish but sometimes in Japanese

Fredricus
2007-02-06, 08:54 AM
you really don't find music in Finnish or Swedish really abroad.

Northern Europe have great rock bands of nearly all types. Hard to say favorite bands not from Finland and doesn't sing in Finnish/Swedish.

There is nothing wrong with finnish music.

Telonius
2007-02-06, 08:56 AM
Hm, if we're talking non-Americans, then either Rain Song or Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. If I have to choose a non-English song, La Bamba by Richie Valens. It's not that serious, just a fun little song, but it always makes me feel a little better when I hear it. For classical music, "Die Zauberfloete" by Mozart.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-06, 03:13 PM
The opera Carmina Burana! That's the only foreign music I've ever listened to. And I probably only like it because that's what my marching band did this year.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-06, 03:53 PM
The opera Carmina Burana! That's the only foreign music I've ever listened to. And I probably only like it because that's what my marching band did this year.

Yeah, you're marching band and every Hollywood trailer ever.

Yay for exagerations.

Quite a few Swedish/Finnish bands that have been popular outside Scandanavia that sing entirely in English. Which is a pity since foreign songs can be nice...

Amotis
2007-02-06, 10:23 PM
Kar Kar Madison is a pretty catchy tune too.

Athelgar
2007-02-07, 08:54 PM
Menya Zhovut Shnur - Leningrad
Has one heck of a good beat, actually looked up the lyrics and its got an interesting message, if vulgar.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-07, 09:07 PM
I might be shot for this, but...
Mustafa Sandal is amusing. Turkish pop/dance sort of stuff... Isyankar and Kavrulduk.

Senzafine by Lacuna Coil is good.

Heheh. I knew you were going to post that. o.O

Jack Squat
2007-02-07, 09:10 PM
I don't have any foreign songs. I have songs in different languages, but they're not exactly foreign. Two of my favorites are Winds of Change, in Spanish (IIRC it's still done by the Scorpions) and De Luan, De Mairt by Gaelic Storm (from New York, not exactly foreign)

Ms_Elaneous
2007-02-07, 09:36 PM
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/ddautta.php
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21847
These! Hee hee... the animation is what brings it home though. :smallbiggrin:

Weezer
2007-02-07, 09:37 PM
My favorite song not in my language is Morgenstern by Rammstein.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-07, 09:58 PM
Hm... right now I'd say Sakura Kiss by ??. Her name is hard for me, but's it's a sappy sweet j-pop song.