PDA

View Full Version : Vow of Poverty and Dragon Disciple

tricktroller
2014-04-08, 02:48 PM
Would the stat bonuses form these two stack?

I am thinking about playing a vow of poverty savage bard dragon disciple for a game I will be playing in a few weeks. The game is pretty low OP and very little magic item creation in the world. This would allow me to help the party out with a number of roles. Number 1 is skill monkey, number two is melee help with me two handing a longsword, number 3 is some spell utility, and number 4 is draconic auras and dragonfire inspiration from my gold dragon heritage.

I am sure that everyone despises Vow of Poverty but I really like the idea of this guy, a bard who has almost nothing, not even an instrument but he sings pretty well and is looking for more about his draconic heritage and eventually becomes a halfdragon.

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-08, 03:20 PM
It appears to me that the increase. to ability scores do stack. "As if through level advancement" seems to refer to the +1 every 4HD, and that stacks with everything, so the increases to stats from Dragon Disciple should stack with pretty much everything.

Just to clarify, though, VoP bonuses to stats aren't permanent increases to your stats. They are contingent on your having the VoP active, and there are multiple ways for that to be suspended or lost entirely (namely antimagic fields or dead magic zones, where the Su Exalted feats all stop working). So, to be perfectly accurate, Dragon Disciple grants increases to ability scores, while VoP grants bonuses.

tricktroller
2014-04-08, 03:58 PM
awesome. Hopefully I don't have to worry about too many antimagic fields....

Particle_Man
2014-04-08, 04:09 PM
Just don't accept any diamond engagement rings from your fans! :smallbiggrin:

tricktroller
2014-04-08, 04:33 PM
I like the idea of a dragon disciple with vow of poverty because I pretty much cover all of the "item" needs for high end characters since I also have the ability to fly now. Is there anything I am missing with VoP and flight?

eggynack
2014-04-08, 05:17 PM
Is there anything I am missing with VoP and flight?
It is very likely, yes. Basically, take the lists of necessary magic items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items), subtract the stuff you get from VoP, subtract the stuff you get from class (including flight), and if you're not covering a lot of the list with that stuff, then you're not doing too well. That's also only one part of the many-pronged test of VoP effectiveness, and I'm pretty sure that dragon disciple fails pretty much all of them (no incentive to not use items, few abilities that make up for the lack of items, and few exalted feats that are actually worthwhile for you, to name a few). The list of classes that can pass this test is rather short, and even that list is only able to function effectively with VoP. They'e still significantly worse than they'd otherwise be. It's just that a class that passes those tests won't be horribly crippled, which is nice.

Big Fau
2014-04-09, 10:55 AM
awesome. Hopefully I don't have to worry about too many antimagic fields....

Actually AMFs shut off VoP's effect.

tricktroller
2014-04-09, 11:07 AM
I meant I hope I don't run into them.