PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Nifty Gifts!

Chester
2014-04-08, 03:53 PM
Long story short:

The party is on a "recon mission" to retrieve some scrolls for a dragon (they may or may not engage him in combat; that remains to be seen). The scrolls lie with a covey of hags. If, in addition to the scrolls, the party brings back the heads of each hag, the dragon will give them a "gift."

So, there's a party of dead adventurers near the dragon's lair (implication: they screwed with the wrong dragon). I was thinking that the "gift" could be allowing the party to loot one of the bodies.

So, for archetypes, we have the bodies of a dwarf (fighter type), human (wizard type), and elf (ranger / rogue type). On each body, I was thinking there would be one really cool item, one item that's pretty good but doesn't cause ooohs and aaahs, and a few nifty things like scrolls, potions, gems, gold, etc.

Could I have some ideas for the two "main" items on each body? Something appropriate for race and class. I'm thinking something like a rod of extend metamagic on the wizard, etc. but I could use some input.

The party is level 7.

Ideas are good!

Mootsmcboots
2014-04-08, 04:40 PM
Long story short:

The party is on a "recon mission" to retrieve some scrolls for a dragon (they may or may not engage him in combat; that remains to be seen). The scrolls lie with a covey of hags. If, in addition to the scrolls, the party brings back the heads of each hag, the dragon will give them a "gift."

So, there's a party of dead adventurers near the dragon's lair (implication: they screwed with the wrong dragon). I was thinking that the "gift" could be allowing the party to loot one of the bodies.

So, for archetypes, we have the bodies of a dwarf (fighter type), human (wizard type), and elf (ranger / rogue type). On each body, I was thinking there would be one really cool item, one item that's pretty good but doesn't cause ooohs and aaahs, and a few nifty things like scrolls, potions, gems, gold, etc.

Could I have some ideas for the two "main" items on each body? Something appropriate for race and class. I'm thinking something like a rod of extend metamagic on the wizard, etc. but I could use some input.

The party is level 7.

Ideas are good!

Have them find a deck of many things. That's always a good time. Also fitting for a dragon's gift, they are sly and shady creep jobs. They say gift, your arm falls off or some crazy creepshow.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-04-08, 05:44 PM
I'd give them a Healing Belt (MIC), an Anklet of Translocation (MIC), and a Magic Bedroll (MIC) regardless of which one they loot. Possibly also include a (Heward's) Handy Haversack as well.

Dwarf Fighter: Third Eye Clarity (MIC), +1 Dwarven Waraxe, Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp (MIC), +1 Full Plate, Restful Crystal (MIC), +1 Heavy Shield, Least Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC).

Human Wizard: Glove of the Master Strategist (Ghostwalk), Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell, +1 Mithral Buckler with a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape), Least Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC), partially (10) charged Wand of Nerveskitter (SC).

Elf Sneak: Mithralmist Shirt (MIC), Least Crystal of Adaptation (MIC), Heartseeking Amulet (MIC), Masterwork/Masterwork/Masterwork Elvencraft (RotW) Composite Longbow with three Wand Chambers (Dungeonscape), partially (10) charged Wands of Camouflage (SC), Cure Light Wounds, and Rhino's Rush (SC).

Chester
2014-04-09, 10:29 AM
Have them find a deck of many things. That's always a good time. Also fitting for a dragon's gift, they are sly and shady creep jobs. They say gift, your arm falls off or some crazy creepshow.

Although a Deck of Many Things is a fun idea, I'm not necessarily into the possibility of screwing people over. This may be something to find along the way when they know the risk involved; just not a "gift" per se.

I'd give them a Healing Belt (MIC), an Anklet of Translocation (MIC), and a Magic Bedroll (MIC) regardless of which one they loot. Possibly also include a (Heward's) Handy Haversack as well.

Dwarf Fighter: Third Eye Clarity (MIC), +1 Dwarven Waraxe, Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp (MIC), +1 Full Plate, Restful Crystal (MIC), +1 Heavy Shield, Least Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC).

Human Wizard: Glove of the Master Strategist (Ghostwalk), Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell, +1 Mithral Buckler with a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape), Least Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC), partially (10) charged Wand of Nerveskitter (SC).

Elf Sneak: Mithralmist Shirt (MIC), Least Crystal of Adaptation (MIC), Heartseeking Amulet (MIC), Masterwork/Masterwork/Masterwork Elvencraft (RotW) Composite Longbow with three Wand Chambers (Dungeonscape), partially (10) charged Wands of Camouflage (SC), Cure Light Wounds, and Rhino's Rush (SC).

This is perfect--thanks!

Mootsmcboots
2014-04-09, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Chester;17276757]Although a Deck of Many Things is a fun idea, I'm not necessarily into the possibility of screwing people over. This may be something to find along the way when they know the risk involved; just not a "gift" per se.

I respect that. The DoMT can be pretty harsh on players, and I guess it takes a certain mindset as a player to get screwed by it and completely enjoy it. Definitely not for everyone.

Telonius
2014-04-09, 01:10 PM
The standard adventurer logic would go:

Hags got scrolls from the dragon. Hags = more dangerous than dragon.
We defeated the hags. We = more dangerous than hags.
Therefore, we should invest in wagons to cart away the dragon's hoard, as soon as we kill him.

BrokenChord
2014-04-09, 02:22 PM
The standard adventurer logic would go:

Hags got scrolls from the dragon. Hags = more dangerous than dragon.
We defeated the hags. We = more dangerous than hags.
Therefore, we should invest in wagons to cart away the dragon's hoard, as soon as we kill him.

Dragon still alive. Dragon = not necessarily less dangerous than hags.

The hags could be more dangerous than the traps in his lair, having overcome them while he was out, but assuming that because they managed to steal a few things they're more lethal than him in combat is straight-up ridiculous.

... Oh right. Adventurers. I shouldn't expect them to follow logic, they'll bend the facts until they can convince themselves that it's strong logic. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2014-04-09, 02:41 PM
Right. The dragon should mention - "Oh, and those folks you saw on the way in? I'd sent them on a similar quest. They thought they could collect twice."