PDA

View Full Version : Question about Int to damage

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-08, 04:19 PM
Me and a partymember have been having a debate on this. Now i am curious enough to ask the playground.

Does the factotum's cunning strike stack with the swashbuckler's ability at level 3? Both add Int to damagr and i dont know if they would stack. They are different class abilities but both are seemingly unnamed bonus (afb so cannot confirm)

So does it?
He is using a build in a gestalt game factotum 5//Scholar 1/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 1 and says he can add int to strike constantly through swashbuckler then double that with cunning strike.

Asteron
2014-04-08, 04:24 PM
Me and a partymember have been having a debate on this. Now i am curious enough to ask the playground.

Does the factotum's cunning strike stack with the swashbuckler's ability at level 3? Both add Int to damagr and i dont know if they would stack. They are different class abilities but both are seemingly unnamed bonus (afb so cannot confirm)

So does it?
He is using a build in a gestalt game factotum 5//Scholar 1/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 1 and says he can add int to strike constantly through swashbuckler then double that with cunning strike.

I believe that you mean Cunning Insight? If so, then they do stack since CI is a competence bonus while Insightful Strike is unnamed.

Zweisteine
2014-04-08, 04:25 PM
First of all, if your intelligence is 18 or more, Cunning Insight is almost strictly better than Cunning Strike. You'll deal more damage, and you can use it more reliably.

Second, all three sources of damage would stack. Cunning Insight adds a competence bonus equal to your intelligence modifier, not the actual intelligence modifier. Cunning Strike adds sneak attack damage, which stacks with static bonuses. Insightful Strike directly adds your intelligence modifier to your damage. They are not overlapping bonus types, so they would all stack.

Cunning Insight (Ex): Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain a competence bonus on the roll equal to your Intelligence modifier. Cunning insight does not require an action, and you can use it as often as you wish during your turn or others’ turns—provided that you have the inspiration points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

Cunning Strike (Ex): With a quick study of a vulnerable opponent’s defenses, you can spot the precise area you need to hit to score a telling blow. Starting at 4th level, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain 1d6 points of sneak attack damage. You must spend the inspiration point to activate this ability before making the attack roll. When determining if you can use sneak attack against a target that has uncanny dodge, use your factotum level as your rogue level.
Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler's insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-08, 05:51 PM
Oh ok. Dang then he really will be adding +4x2 to his hits. Makes up for a 14 str i guess