PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cleave/WwAtk rework?

gr8artist
2014-04-08, 04:48 PM
So, I hate that Whirlwind Attack (WwA) has the feat tree that it does. I want to be Link from Legend of Zelda, why do I need to fight like Raphael from Soul Caliber?
So, here's my idea for a revised feat tree. This list includes the following houserules: VS works on more stuff (AoO's, charges, etc.), Cleave includes 3.5-style use, WwA salvages wasted bonus attacks from haste or speed,

Power Attack (Req. BAB +1)
Atk -1, Dam +2, additional -1/+2 per 4 BAB

Cleave (Req. BAB +1, Power Attack)
Standard action, make attack at full BAB, take -2 penalty to AC for 1 round.
Hit? Make another attack against adjacent opponent.
Hit and dropped? Make another attack against an opponent within reach (existing Cleaving Finish absorbed)
You gain only 1 extra attack per round with this feat.
(side note: Vital Strike applies to first target)

Great Cleave (Req. BAB +4, Cleave)
Functions as Cleave, but may make any number of additional attacks.
Additionally, you may use this ability at the end of a charge or during a spring attack, or when dropping an opponent with an attack of opportunity.
(side note: Vital Strike applies to first target)

Whirlwind Attack (Req. BAB +6, Cleave)
Full-round action. Make one attack at full BAB against each opponent within reach.
Make separate attack rolls for each opponent.
If you have additional attacks in a full-round action (such as from a speed weapon or a haste spell) you may make that many additional attacks of opportunity in this round instead.

Cleaving Assault (Req. BAB +8, Great Cleave)
You may use Great Cleave as part of any attack in a full-attack action.
When using Great Cleave as a standard action, or as part of a charge or AoO, you may include Vital Strike's effects against each opponent hit after the first.

Cleaving Tempest (Req. BAB +12, Great Cleave, Whirlwind Attack)
You no longer give up iterative attacks when using Whirlwind Attack. Instead, after your first attack against each opponent, make another attack against each opponent within reach at each lower iterative attack bonus available to you.
You are fatigued for 1 round after using this ability.
(If you had +12 BAB and there were 3 opponents within reach, each adjacent to another, and you hit each with every attack, you could make a total of 9 attacks (+12/+12/+12 | +7/+7/+7 | +2/+2/+2)

I'm half tempted to remove Power Attack as a prerequisite, as it seems like a useless feat tax. The first few feats are serious, the last two (Cleaving Assault and Cleaving Tempest) are a little over the top, but still something to ponder.