PDA

View Full Version : Riding Upside-down?

Buufreak
2014-04-08, 06:02 PM
Rolled together a dragon rider for fun, and with some epic rules, he manages to get a large sized mount. Because of this, logically and mechanically, he can no longer reach medium sized creatures with his lance while on its back. So, considering all of this, is there any rule allowing or disallowing a flying creature to fly upside down? I think it would seem amazing visually for a glorious lance from the back of a golden dragon to be delivered while it sweeps by, upside-down!

The Oni
2014-04-08, 06:33 PM
If I recall, a lance is a reach weapon, so you should still have enough range to hit an opponent. I suppose it might be a problem if you were using a sword.

For riding upside down, I don't think that'd be a problem especially for a strong-winged flyer such as a dragon. You may need to make Fly checks to pull it off and stay mounted.

Buufreak
2014-04-08, 06:45 PM
See, my logic is the dragon is Huge, so technically 15ft tall, and the lance can only reach for 10. That's why I ask. I also greatly considered some sort of locking saddle, similar to ones that prevent you from being pulled off your mount.

EisenKreutzer
2014-04-08, 06:51 PM
Get a longer lance..?

Zweisteine
2014-04-08, 06:58 PM
You are on a dragon. Why do you need a lance?

Seriously. The guy on the back can serve up to three purposes.
1. It's probably scarier to see an armored dragon with a scary-looking knight on its back than just a dragon.
2. He can defend the dragon from attacks it couldn't defend against. This doesn't really apply in D&D.
3. He can use a bow and defend against archers.

If you want a lance, get a magic one. Anything else will get tangled in the dragon's wings, I'd bet.

Or sit just behind the dragon's head, and have it keep its head low, so you can reach the ground. That wouldn't be fun when the dragon swings its head around, though.

The Oni
2014-04-08, 07:03 PM
Ah, well, there's your problem; you said that your mount was Large, not Huge. Huge might be a problem. There's a couple of options. You could try not using a lance, and use a ranged weapon instead, although perhaps archery isn't your rider's forte.

You could try and get an ally to Enlarge Person you, that way you'd fit on your mount properly. There's also the Lunge feat, which, if you're a high enough level to get a Large mount I bet you qualify for.http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lunge-combat---final. It comes at the cost of -2 AC but you can avert that with another feat, Monkey Lunge.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-08, 07:21 PM
Aren't riders considered to occupy their mounts' space? I believe that means they should be able to strike opponents within [rider's reach] of the mount.

SRD
A horse (not a pony) is a Large creature and thus takes up a space 10 feet (2 squares) across. For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat.

Dimers
2014-04-08, 07:24 PM
Aren't riders considered to occupy their mounts' space? I believe that means they should be able to strike opponents within [rider's reach] of the mount.

Yup. You and the dragon together make up a 15' x 15' x 15' cube, with a cute little sharp stick extending out of it toward whatever you're trying to hit.

Coidzor
2014-04-08, 07:26 PM
See, my logic is the dragon is Huge, so technically 15ft tall, and the lance can only reach for 10. That's why I ask. I also greatly considered some sort of locking saddle, similar to ones that prevent you from being pulled off your mount.

You count as occupying your mount's space, so you're just inventing things to give yourself trouble here.

Buufreak
2014-04-08, 08:31 PM

This is perfect answer. Thank you so much guys, for everyone that gave out any sort of answer! Always appreciated.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-08, 08:50 PM
This is perfect answer. Thank you so much guys, for everyone that gave out any sort of answer! Always appreciated.

You're welcome. Feel free to come by again if you need help with something :smallsmile:

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-08, 09:36 PM
With occupying the space of your mount it should be noted that the space is an abstraction of fighting space. Take an average human fighter in our world. In even a wide fighting stance, he'd be barely 5 feet at his furthest points. He surely doesn't fill that entire 5 ft cube. Same would go for your mount. The idea is that you and your mount can move around withing your space, allowing you to be 'closer' to one part of the space to get an attack off than you really should because the Dragon is mobile and you are mobile.