PDA

View Full Version : [3DS Max] Using Images to model

HalfTangible
2014-04-08, 07:45 PM
So, I'm in a modeling class, and have 3 images of a brass swan. One from the top, side, and front. Now, I'm supposed to draw circles that line up on the three, convert them into splines, and then extrude them to form the model. The problem is that I'm utterly unable to change the position of the images to line them up so that the model i draw is properly shaped. This was not supposed to be the hard part.

Help?

Grinner
2014-04-08, 08:20 PM
Two questions:

What circles are you drawing and where? Onto the images?
How are you lining the images up?

HalfTangible
2014-04-08, 08:28 PM
Two questions:

What circles are you drawing and where? Onto the images?
How are you lining the images up?

1st) The circles are supposed to be turned into splines, then connected in a way that makes a 3d model of the duck. And yeah, in the viewports.
2nd) I'm supposed to be bringing them in as backgrounds to the different viewports.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-08, 08:30 PM
I haven't worked with 3DSMax, but surely there's a way to import the images as planes, then rotate them accordingly?

EDIT: Oops, ninja'd by the OP!

Grinner
2014-04-08, 09:04 PM
1st) The circles are supposed to be turned into splines, then connected in a way that makes a 3d model of the duck. And yeah, in the viewports.
2nd) I'm supposed to be bringing them in as backgrounds to the different viewports.

You don't appear to be making any basic mistakes...Since I'm a Blender person, I'm not sure how much concrete assistance I can really offer here.

This (http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/modeling-texturing-rigging-a-realistic-shark-in-3d-studio-max-part-1--cg-27541) seems as thought it may be useful.

Bryn
2014-04-17, 07:05 PM
Per the manual (http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/ENU/Autodesk%203ds%20Max%202011%20Help/index.html?url=./files/WSf742dab041063133-5e7e2b6b112a1ced15b-7fef.htm,topicNumber=d0e6167), it seems you need to navigate
Views menu > Viewport Background > Viewport Background > Viewport Background dialog
(or use the keyboard shortcut Alt-B to bring up that dialogue), load your image, and then disable 'Lock Zoom/Pan', move your POV around until the background image is where you want it, then re-enable 'Lock Zoom/Pan'.