PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [PF] Bas-Lag Races

Da'Shain
2014-04-08, 11:05 PM
For an upcoming pirate campaign, I'm planning on setting the players down in good ol' horrific Bas-Lag (http://baslag.wikia.com/wiki/Bas-Lag_Wiki). I don't believe any of them have read China Mieville's books (and I heartily recommend them, if anyone reading this hasn't), but the species there are sufficiently different from most existing ones that they're not really well-represented by replacing them with a normal Pathfinder race, so I figured I'd take a stab at creating them and try to make them balanced.

If anyone has attempted this before, please, point me in their direction! Otherwise, let me know whether these races seem playable alongside what will likely be predominantly humans, or whether they seem too powerful or too weak.

Ability Score Racial Traits: Cactacae are tough as bark and strong as roots, but lack the grace of other species and tend to disdain more cerebral pursuits. They gain +2 Strength and +2 Constitution, but have -4 Dexterity and -2 Intelligence.
Type: Cactacae are plants with the [humanoid] subtype. Because of their enhanced cognitive abilities relative to other plants, they lose the normal plant immunity to mind-affecting effects, stunning and polymorph effects, but retain their immunity to paralysis, sleep effects, and poisons that do not specifically work on plants.
Size: Cactacae are typically larger than other races, but are still treated as Medium creatures, and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to size other than those spelled out in their Powerful Build trait.
Base Speed: Cactacae have a base speed of 20 feet.
Languages Cactacae begin play speaking the Common language of their home region and Sunglari, a language which only other sapient plants possess the organs to speak, but which may be learned and understood by other species. Cactacae with high Intelligence scores may choose any language.

Defense Racial Traits
Flora Physiology: Cactacae possess exceptionally tough skin and a redundant organ structure, granting them DR 5/slashing.
Sun-Hardened: Because of their plant-based nervous system and desert origins, Cactacae receive a +2 racial bonus against effects which would cause the fatigued, exhausted, or stunned conditions.

Offense Racial Traits
Powerful Build: Built larger and stronger than typical humanoids, Cactacae receive a +1 size bonus to their CMB and CMD, and additionally may wield weapons one size category larger than normal without incurring penalties. Their carrying capacity is determined as though for a Large creature.
Weapon Familiarity: Cactacae treat rivebows as martial weapons.

Skills Racial Traits
Buoyant Cactacae naturally float in bodies of water, gaining a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks to stay afloat or ascend towards the surface. However, on any round in which they are underwater and do not ascend to the surface, Cactacae lose this bonus on any Swim checks made, and in addition to any checks that round, must make a DC 15 Swim check or ascend at a rate of 30 feet per round. The need for this check may be obviated with freedom of movement or a similar effect.

Senses Racial Traits
Low-Light Vision: Cactacae see twice as far as humans in dim light.

Other Racial Traits
Rigid Sentinel: Cactacae do not sleep, but require six hours of standing rest a day to avoid exhaustion. These hours need not be consecutive but must be in increments of at least one hour. During these rest periods, the Cactus must be immobile, but may still make Perception checks as though awake, at a -2 penalty.
Carbon Breather: Cactacae may hold their breath five times as long as normally determined by their Constitution score.

Weakness Racial Traits
Flammability: Any effect that deals fire damage has a 25% chance to set the Cactus on fire for 1d6 damage in the same round as the fire effect, then for 2d6 fire damage in subsequent rounds. This fire may be extinguished as normal, either by immersion in water, a DC 15 Reflex save (with a +4 bonus if the Cactus spends a full round rolling on the floor), or other effects as determined by the GM.
Photosynthesis: Cactacae do not need to eat, but require sunlight to live. A Cactus may go one sunless day without penalty; afterwards, every subsequent day without an hour of sunshine or an equivalent effect (determined by GM) imposes a cumulative -2 penalty to the Cactus's saving throws. After a week without sun, the Cactus must succeed at a DC 10 Fortitude save or die every day.

All player-character Khepri are female; males of the species are non-sapient.
Ability Score Racial Traits: Khepri are quick-witted and creative, but suffer from frailer physiques than other humanoids. They gain +2 Intelligence and +2 Charisma, but have -2 Constitution.
Type: Khepri females are humanoids with the [insectoid] subtype; they gain none of the vermin type's immunities, but may be affected as though vermin by spells which specifically target vermin. Any spell which specifically targets vermin and does not allow a save instead grants the Khepri a save as normal (calculated as normal by Spell Level + caster's ability modifier).
Size: Khepri females are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to size.
Base Speed: Khepri have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages Khepri begin play speaking Khepri and understanding, but not speaking, the Common language of their home region. Khepri females' vocal chords are unable to form the requisite sounds to speak most languages, and they usually make themselves understood either through gesturing or writing. Conversely, the Khepri language, being largely an exchange of pheremones, cannot be spoken or understood by any other species without magical aid. Those with high Intelligence scores may choose any language, although most choose at least one form of sign language.

Defense Racial Traits
Insectile Thoughts: Khepri gain a +2 bonus to saving throws versus illusion and enchantment effects from a non-vermin or insectoid source, as well as any divination effect which would gain information about the Khepri's mind. Additionally, any non-vermin or insectoid creature that attempts to read a Khepri's thoughts must succeed at a DC 20 Will save in order to make any sense of the alien thought processes. Any non-vermin or insectoid creature attempting to Sense Motive a Khepri takes a -2 penalty to their skill check.
Waste Dweller: Despite their frail constitutions, Khepri are used to living in or near the detritus of insect hives, and are thus resistant to many afflictions, gaining a +2 to saving throws against diseases.

Offense Racial Traits
Pincers: A Khepri has a bite attack that deals 1d3 points of damage.

Skills Racial Traits
Expressive: Khepri may select one Craft or Perform skill (except Perform [oratory] or [sing]); this skill gains a +2 racial bonus, and is always treated as a class skill.
Compound Eyes: A Khepri gains a +2 racial bonus on all sight-based Perception checks, and gains a +5 on checks made to see through disguises. However, their unique vision gives them a -5 to any Linguistics checks made to decipher non-Khepri writing, and they read and write non-Khepri languages at one quarter the normal speed. This means that a Khepri trying to activate any scroll written by a non-Khepri takes two full-round actions to do so.

Senses Racial Traits
Improved Darkvision: Khepri see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet. Additionally, they see in perfect color within their darkvision's range.

Other Racial Traits
Dried Saliva: Khepri spit can be easily formed into sculpture or other simple items, with color determined by the Khepri's diet. A well-fed Khepri may create up to five pounds of this resin-like substance a day; treat the substance as having hardness 0 and 2 hp/inch of thickness. Any item created in this manner may not support more than twice its own weight. Complex tools (such as those found in skill kits) may not be formed by this, nor can any form of usable rope or weapon.

Ability Score Racial Traits: Scabmettlers must be hardy and mentally disciplined to live with their unique blood, but tend to be off-putting in their intensity and slower than other species. They gain +2 Constitution and +2 Wisdom, but have -2 Dexterity and -2 Charisma.
Type: Scabmettlers are humanoids with the [scabmettler] subtype.
Size: Scabmettlers are Medium creatures, and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to size.
Base Speed: Scabmettlers have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages Scabmettlers begin play speaking the Common language of their home region. Scabmettlers with high Intelligence scores may choose any language.

Defense Racial Traits
Quickstanch: Because their blood coagulates so quickly, only direct bone or organ damage truly hurts a Scabmettler. Scabmettlers have DR 5/bludgeoning, and additionally are immune to bleed effects.
Clot Armor: By drinking Blodfrey, a special anti-coagulant tea, a Scabmettler may cut herself in specific patterns and allow her blood to run over her body, swiftly setting into large, interconnected scabs as tough as bone, taking two rounds to do so. These scabs form the Scabmettler's clot armor, and may bestow a natural armor bonus of up to +8 on the scabmettler, so long as she is not wearing any other armor or heavy clothing. For each point of natural armor bonus, the Scabmettler must cut herself for 1 hit point of damage. This armor is treated as normal armor, requires armor proficiencies, and imposes an arcane spell failure chance as normal; a bonus of +7 or greater is treated as heavy armor with a max Dex bonus of +1 and an armor check penalty of -5, a bonus of +5 or +6 is treated as medium armor with a max Dex bonus of +3 and an armor check penalty of -3, and a bonus of +4 or lower is treated as light armor with a max Dex bonus of +5 and an armor check penalty of -1. This armor lasts for eight hours, or may be cut off by the Scabmettler beforehand. This armor stacks with any natural armor bonuses the Scabmettler receives from other sources, even ones that would not normally stack.

Offense Racial Traits
Scabbed Over: When hit by a melee slashing or piercing attack she was not flat-footed or otherwise denied action against, a Scabmettler may make a combat maneuver check to disarm her attacker as an immediate action. This attempt provokes attacks of opportunity as normal. If the attempt is successful, the weapon has been stuck in the Scabmettler's clotted blood and is torn from her attacker's grasp, embedded in the Scabmettler. It may be torn free either with a single successful grapple combat maneuver check (in place of initiating a grapple) or with a DC 10 Strength check if the Scabmettler is willing. If torn free from an unwilling scabmettler, it deals normal weapon damage plus half the attacker's Strength modifier, mitigated by the Scabmettler's DR as normal.

Weakness Racial Traits
Hyperactive Platelets: A Scabmettler without access to the Blodfrey herb has more sluggish blood than normal, and runs the risk of sudden total clotting, resulting in paralysis and quick death. For every day after the first that she goes without any Blodfrey herb, the Scabmettler receives one less point of healing per die from any healing source, to a maximum of -5 per die; if the healing source does not rely on dice, she regains only a quarter of the normal hit points it would heal. After a week without the herb, she must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save every day or suffer total paralysis, followed by death within an hour.

Allnightmask
2014-04-08, 11:16 PM
Dragon Magazine issue 352 has exactly what you want. It also has their more iconic items and beasties.

Da'Shain
2014-04-09, 12:00 AM
Wow, thanks! That is very useful. I'll have to think about whether I want to use those or the stats I came up with; their Cactacae are definitely better designed, but come with level adjustment, yuck. Plus I want to eventually have all of the mentioned races, so that the players have a selection pool similar in size to the d20pfsrd's.

Eldan
2014-04-09, 03:33 AM
What other races were you thinking of? Vodyanoi and Remade, probably, but what else? Cray? Garuda? Anophelii males? Scabmettlers? Ab-dead?

Thanati could probably just be represented by Necropolitans, but then, we haven't really seen them.

TroubleBrewing
2014-04-09, 04:15 AM
I'd be comfortable just using a standard MM1 Vampire statblock for the Anophelii females.

Eldan
2014-04-09, 05:53 AM
Don't think they are undead. Massively scaled-up Stirge, maybe? Quick and dirty:

Anophelia:

Type: Medium Humanoid (insectoid)
Speed: 20 ft./40ft fly (average)
+2 dex,-4 cha
Stinger: natural weapon, 1d4 piercing
Attach (ex): If an anophelia hits with it's stinger attack, it may automatically grapple it's target. Anophelias have a racial +4 bonus to grapple checks.
Blood scent (ex): Anopheliae can detect living creatures by scent at a range of 30 feet. They can smell blood at five times that range.
Blood drain (ex): Every round an anophelia is attached to a living target, it automatically deals 1d4 points of constitution damage, until the target is dead. For every point of constitution an anophelia drains, it heals itself for one point of damage per HD. Draining more than 4 points of constitution damage in the same day leaves the anophelia fatigued.
Frenzy (ex): If an anophelia goes without draining blood, she falls into a frenzy. Every day after the second they go without feeding, their intelligence score is reduced by one point, to a minimum of one, until they feed again. AT that point, upon in any way perceiving any living target that is not an anophelius or anophelia, they must make a will save (DC 15+number of days without feeding) or immediately try to feed upon it.

momogila
2014-04-09, 06:02 AM
Dragon Magazine issue 352 has exactly what you want. It also has their more iconic items and beasties.

you right

http://watchfree.me/114/w.png

Da'Shain
2014-04-09, 09:46 AM
The other major races I'd like to do are Vodyanoi, Hotchi, Scabmettler and Cray, and I may end up making player race versions of the Anophelii males and some form of ab-dead. Anophelii females, though, are both too powerful (as portrayed in the books, they are ridiculously fast and have a flight speed from level one) and too limited (they simply cannot function intelligently without draining blood every day, it seems) to really fit in with what I'm going for. Your quick Anophelius rules look like a good player race, Eldan, but don't (to me) fit with how dangerous and unthinking they're portrayed as being most of the time.

Also, this campaign will be run as E6 to keep combats deadly even against lower level soldiers, let alone some of the powerful monsters around. P6, with commonplace early firearms. So while my instinct is just to use the normal Vampire template for Bas-Lag vampir, I'm debating whether it's too powerful or not. The Thanati will not come into play in the campaign I'm thinking of running, but I may try to do them for completeness' sake.

Eldan
2014-04-09, 09:51 AM
They aren't really intended as a player race, more as a monster. But you're right, they should be way faster. 16 dex? 18 dex? Anyway, players can of course work around the feeding issue by carrying a bag of rats or similar, but I'd assume that most of the time, the average Anophelia runs around with Int 1-3. Would probably have to rewrite the frenzy rules to make them way more brutal, requiring much more blood and making the intelligence regeneration slower.

Da'Shain
2014-04-10, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I'll keep them as a monster ... the Dragon magazine linked has decent stats for that, and considering their frenzy they can never really learn enough to take class levels.

Also added Scabmettlers, which I drew inspiration for from that Dragon. I feel like DR fits perfectly with how Cactacae and Scabmettler's are described, but I am slightly worried it's too powerful on first level characters, thus trying to keep their stats weaker than the norm and give them additional weaknesses to make up for it. How do they look so far?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-04-11, 02:37 AM
Great stuff. Vodoyani next?

I think that the cactae and scabmettler damage reduction is fine. Those are common damage types which any smart NPC can work around. It's also offset by the Dexterity penalties.

I would note that khepri are allowed saving throws to negate effects that specifically target vermin and allow no saving throw. For example, repel vermin would be totally unfair as crowd control against a khepri PC. Also, "spit" is not the word I would use for khepri wax, but it's probably the word you would hear in civilized society so I'll give it a pass. :)

I agree that anophelli don't warrant being a PC race. The males have no unique traits to speak of, and the females alternate between savagely bloodthirsty and borderline nonsentient. Statting them up as monsters would make more sense. It's also very tricky to make a flying race in 3e D&D, although I think that the raptorans were the best example of it.

Da'Shain
2014-04-11, 02:40 PM
I would note that khepri are allowed saving throws to negate effects that specifically target vermin and allow no saving throw. For example, repel vermin would be totally unfair as crowd control against a khepri PC. Also, "spit" is not the word I would use for khepri wax, but it's probably the word you would hear in civilized society so I'll give it a pass. :)Good catch! Yeah, I'll edit it so that they receive a saving throw against those effects. Looking at the Insectile Thoughts ability, though, it seems a bit too powerful; flat +2 vs. two entire schools of magic, plus any though detecting magic? Is this offset by their hampered communication and trouble reading and writing? Or am I just second-guessing myself?

I actually seem to remember Lin herself thinking of it as spit, but it's been awhile since I read Perdido Street Station (I'm more partial to the Scar, myself), so I could be misremembering.

Yeah, I think Vodyanoi next, and I'll probably want to peruse Perdido Street Station for some more info on them and Hotchi, instead of just relying on that Dragon magazine.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-04-11, 09:08 PM
Good catch! Yeah, I'll edit it so that they receive a saving throw against those effects. Looking at the Insectile Thoughts ability, though, it seems a bit too powerful; flat +2 vs. two entire schools of magic, plus any though detecting magic? Is this offset by their hampered communication and trouble reading and writing? Or am I just second-guessing myself?
Elves already get +2 to one school and +2 to three very useful skills. It doesn't seem overpowered to me.

Yeah, I think Vodyanoi next, and I'll probably want to peruse Perdido Street Station for some more info on them and Hotchi, instead of just relying on that Dragon magazine.
Hotchi are something like hedgehogs, but they don't play a prominent role in any of the three stories. They do have a unique type of exotic ranged weapon, seen in the first couple chapters of Iron Council.