PDA

View Full Version : Ryuboku, the tree dragon slayer

Jak
2014-04-09, 09:39 AM
Okay, it's a druid build. We're building for level 2, and taking it from there, hopefully this will be a long term campaign. This is my attempt at making a character I won't get bored of in 2 meetings (has almost always been an issue.) We're doing 32 point-buy, and are allowed to take 2 flaws. All books and web enhancements are fair game. I'm pretty sure our party doesn't have a cleric.

This is my 1st ever druid build, as I normally play melee classes, (it was so tempting to take druidic avenger, but I decided against it) and I would prefer to stay melee mostly, but I'm cool with filling some other roles, too, so long as it's not archery.

Here's what I have so far.

Class: Druid 2

Race: Human

(stats could stand to change, if you have any suggestions)
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 10
Int: 10
Wis: 18
Cha: 8

ACF: "Aspect of the Dragon" from Dragon Magic; and the spontaneous casting variant http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm

Feats: Intuitive Attack (BoED), (idk), (idk), (idk)

Flaws: probably Murky-Eyed and Shakey (I love melee)

Spells: (these can stand to change, but I would prefer to keep Shillelagh)

0- light, resistance, dawn, create water, detect magic

1- shillelagh, Summon nature's ally, cure light wounds

This character was inspired by Kosuke Ueki (from "Law of Ueki,") just the tree growing and tree smashing, mind you, and Fairy Tail, if that lets anyone know the sort of feel I'm going for.

Oh, one last thing, any one know of anything in the animal companion options in the neighborhood of a flying cat? or a talking animal of any sort really...

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-09, 09:42 AM
The winged cat animal companion is out there somewhere. I can't remember what it's called though, tip of my brain...

It's smart too, int 12. I remember there being a specific allowance for taking them as an animal companion.

Tressym! Thats the name. Sandstorm lets you take them as animal companions!

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-09, 09:49 AM
As far as I'm aware, which is not much concerning druids, there is little better for a druid build than to take all 20 levels. Or rather, that's the general consensus around here. If I were to suggest that you lose any caster levels (such as by taking Warshaper from Complete Warrior, the most amazing melee PrC for anyone who will qualify) I'd probably get bombed to the moon.

Also, you take Natural Spell at level 6, always.

Red Fel
2014-04-09, 09:53 AM
The winged cat animal companion is out there somewhere. I can't remember what it's called though, tip of my brain...

It's smart too, int 12. I remember there being a specific allowance for taking them as an animal companion.

Tressym! Thats the name. Sandstorm lets you take them as animal companions!

Did somebody mention Tressym (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?297594-Tressym)?

... Man, those things a freaking adorable.

Note, however, that the Tressym was updated to 3.5 as a magical beast, which means that taking one as an animal companion has become a bit of a thorny issue.

Jak
2014-04-09, 10:26 AM
As far as I'm aware, which is not much concerning druids, there is little better for a druid build than to take all 20 levels. Or rather, that's the general consensus around here. If I were to suggest that you lose any caster levels (such as by taking Warshaper from Complete Warrior, the most amazing melee PrC for anyone who will qualify) I'd probably get bombed to the moon.

Also, you take Natural Spell at level 6, always.

I would, but I'm taking the Aspect of the Dragon acf, and won't qualify since I lose wildshape.

Any ideas for those first few feats?

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-09, 11:12 AM
Craft wonderous item is really good on a druid. You can churn out pearls of power, and with your awesome self buffs, you can power through melee. Bite of the wererat is one of the best early defensive spells (short of alter self)

Jak
2014-04-09, 06:25 PM
Omg thank you, I didn't think I would actually find a cat with wings!

Pearls of power don't help much, since I cast spontaneously... I did decide to get Versatile Spellcaster, though.

Is VoP a terrible idea? How Terrible? It hasn't steered me wrong before.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-09, 06:32 PM
Pearls of power don't help much, since I cast spontaneously... I did decide to get Versatile Spellcaster, though.

Druids don't cast spontaneously...

But that aside, VoP just nerfs non-T1 casters, and T1 casters who need foci / mat components greater than 1 gold. Since you are a T1 caster, you will be somewhat nerfed by VoP. With that said, you will be wildshaped most of the time so its unlikely you will be casting spells at times, or using use activated magic items. If you want to take it, go ahead, but make sure to pick up eschew materials as well. Also some kind of endurance will help if your DM rules its hard to sleep without a bedroll.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-09, 06:33 PM
Vow of Poverty doesn't do nice things for you in general, but Druids feel it a lot less than pretty much any other class and it does have a few niceties. So... Why not, I'd say. But lots of people will probably rage about it.

Edit: NoACWarrior, I think your initial reading of the first post missed the ACF and variant he is using for his character.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-09, 06:34 PM
Vow of poverty is a horrid idea, less so for a druid than most others, but still horrid.

Memento Morri are the pearls of power of spontaneous casters.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-09, 06:57 PM
Vow of Poverty doesn't do nice things for you in general, but Druids feel it a lot less than pretty much any other class and it does have a few niceties. So... Why not, I'd say. But lots of people will probably rage about it.

Edit: NoACWarrior, I think your initial reading of the first post missed the ACF and variant he is using for his character.

Ah lol - didnt read the 2nd half after the stats.

I'm mixed on VoP, if the class/race has a good ranged attack, good melee attack, good immunities, and several good abilities which are really flexible, then I would totally recommend it. But not even T1s have all of that without some type of magical enhancements. Except maybe Psion, but thats a different discussion.

Jak
2014-04-09, 07:03 PM
Okay, if not VoP, then how about some armor for less than 900 gold? Wasn't there a book that specialized in armor for druids?

Shoot, if I had a level to throw away, I would just take a level of fighter and then take the Dragon Scale Husk acf....

Wait, that thing I just said... it gives an extra feat, good hit die, um... how terrible of an idea is that?

I've actually never made it further lvl 3 in a campaign before, so I don't have much experience with this sort of thing...

Btw, guys, I appreciate all of the input so far, thank you =)

CIDE
2014-04-09, 07:26 PM
As cool and flavorful an ACF as the dragon bit is it's...really a weak option in comparison.

Melville's Book
2014-04-09, 07:29 PM
As cool and flavorful an ACF as the dragon bit is it's...really a weak option in comparison.

Yes, but it's in comparison to Druid. Nerfing yourself a little isn't a bad thing with such a strong class; the fact that it's cool, flavorful, and probably really fun to use is just icing on the cake, if you think about it.

Snowbluff
2014-04-09, 07:38 PM
Druids don't cast spontaneously...

THey cast spontaneously... it's just that they prepare spells, too. Versatile Spellcaster works here.

Also, why would you want to slay a tree dragon? :smallconfused:

Jak
2014-04-09, 07:55 PM
Okay, taking Fighter lvl 1, and Vop, and Dragon Scale Husk. Starting AC is 22.

Feats are Versatile Spellcaster, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Intuitive Attack, and Improved Initiative (this particular one can change)

I just need to spend my level 1 fighter bonus feat. Any suggestions?

THey cast spontaneously... it's just that they prepare spells, too. Versatile Spellcaster works here.

Also, why would you want to slay a tree dragon? :smallconfused:

Fairy Tail reference, check it out, good anime.

Snowbluff
2014-04-09, 08:02 PM
Are you good? If yes, Luminous Armor.

Feats are Versatile Spellcaster, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Intuitive Attack, and Improved Initiative (this particular one can change)

I just need to spend my level 1 fighter bonus feat. Any suggestions? Extend Spell would get you some mileage.

Drop VoP. The AC bonus DOES NOT stack with Dragon Scale Husk or Luminous Armor.

I was referencing the ambiguous phrasing.

I've seen Fairy Tail... I was following it for like 20 episodes, but now I am too far behind and I don't have the time to binge. Besides, after watching Gundam Unicorn (The quality level is over 9000!), I have to watch Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-04-09, 08:15 PM

I just need to spend my level 1 fighter bonus feat. Any suggestions?

First, obligatory "ew, a Fairy Tail fan!"

Second, I personally think you're better off as a Druid 2 than a Fighter 1/Druid 1, though I presume you want a sword or something, but Shillelagh and 14 Str invalidates the need for proficiency. Vow of Poverty is fine, but as mentioned, its AC does not stack with Dragonscale Husk. Druids get medium armor proficiency anyway if you find armor that isn't too expensive for VoP.

Khedrac
2014-04-10, 06:58 AM
Memento Morri are the pearls of power of spontaneous casters.
You mean "Memento Magica" from Races of the Dragon...

HammeredWharf
2014-04-10, 07:35 AM
Are you good? If yes, Luminous Armor.

VoP is good-only and yes, Luminous Armor is great.

Why are you taking a level of Fighter, if you don't need the bonus feat?

PraxisVetli
2014-04-10, 07:57 AM
You mean "Memento Magica" from Races of the Dragon...

snt Memento Morri that rather malicious epic spell?

Socksy
2014-04-10, 08:03 AM
Omg thank you, I didn't think I would actually find a cat with wings!

Where did all these tier 0 spontaneous druids come from? This isn't the first time I've seen someone think druids do that. (Last time, it was "Druids and rangers.can change a spell to any other spell of the same level, it just takes a full round") Was there a variant people are getting confused with or something? Is it Summon Nature's Ally confusion?

Snowbluff
2014-04-10, 08:07 AM
There is actually a spontaneous divine caster variant that includes druids, too. Versatile Spellcaster pretty much does this.

BrokenChord
2014-04-10, 08:22 AM
Where did all these tier 0 spontaneous druids come from? This isn't the first time I've seen someone think druids do that. (Last time, it was "Druids and rangers.can change a spell to any other spell of the same level, it just takes a full round") Was there a variant people are getting confused with or something? Is it Summon Nature's Ally confusion?

No, no, "Spontaneous Divine Caster" is an official variant that can be used to Sorcerer-ify a Cleric or Druid. And I'd consider it solidly T2, personally. Though that rules misread you mentioned does appear stupidly OP.