PDA

View Full Version : High Priest of Hel vs Durkula

MagicalMeat
2014-04-09, 11:43 AM
So I've mainly heard people refer to the vampire spirit as HPoH lately, and I was wondering if there was any concensus on his/it's name. Is the term Durkula officially retired?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-09, 11:57 AM
It's difficult to retire a name that never had any official status to begin with. I've seen plenty of people continue to use the name. I prefer to use the only appellation we've seen given to him: The High Priest of Hel. As for consenus, there are several names people use. Durkula and the High Priest of Hel (with it's variants HPoH and the High Priest) are the most popular, but there are also names like Durk Malackssen and Darkon.

Keltest
2014-04-09, 12:36 PM
I use HPoH or HPH because Durkula sounds very silly, and it implies that the being is in fact Durkon, except with fangs and bloodlust.

Koo Rehtorb
2014-04-09, 01:22 PM
I'm sticking with Nokrud.

Mando Knight
2014-04-09, 01:52 PM
I'm sticking with Nokrud.

It is a surprisingly underused alias.

King of Nowhere
2014-04-09, 02:30 PM
as long as we all understand what we're talking about, we can refer to him any way we want. i'll stick to durkula because it's faster to write than hph (although the second is shorter, I have to stop a moment and think about the exact spelling)

Kalirren
2014-04-09, 02:41 PM
And for a moment there I thought you were talking about the idea that Hilgya would save Durkon by rebuking Durkula.

Bulldog Psion
2014-04-09, 02:48 PM
I'm still using "Durk Malackssen." I don't think there's any official version, just whatever the individual poster happens to like.

Emperordaniel
2014-04-09, 03:32 PM
I have a certain fondness for "Darkon", myself.

Vinyadan
2014-04-09, 04:51 PM
Am I the only one who spells Dorkula? It has a nice ring.

oppyu
2014-04-09, 04:53 PM
I use not-Durkon personally. Although of 'The high priest' and 'Durkula', I prefer the former.

konradknox
2014-04-09, 05:07 PM
HPH all the way. Retire Durkula. Never liked it.

137beth
2014-04-09, 05:13 PM
I never used that other one. Ever, I have never typed it out, and I will not now, but you know what I am referring to:smalltongue:

Prior to 946, I referred to the entity as "Vampire Durkon".
In 946, the author gives us a divinely ordained (literally) title for the character: High Priest of Hel. So that's what I'm using.

Loreweaver15
2014-04-09, 07:44 PM
I never used that other one. Ever, I have never typed it out, and I will not now, but you know what I am referring to:smalltongue:

Prior to 946, I referred to the entity as "Vampire Durkon".
In 946, the author gives us a divinely ordained (literally) title for the character: High Priest of Hel. So that's what I'm using.

I was largely indifferent until people started going on the offensive and trying to wipe out the use of Durkula; I started using it to be spiteful, and it rather grew on me.

Gift Jeraff
2014-04-09, 08:43 PM
I prefer "the High Priest of Hel" or "the vampire" (given that there have only been 2 vampires, one of which is gone and had a name anyway, it should be clear which one I'm referring to based on context).

jere7my
2014-04-09, 11:10 PM
I was largely indifferent until people started going on the offensive and trying to wipe out the use of Durkula; I started using it to be spiteful, and it rather grew on me.

Yeah, I use Durkula because it makes me giggle when people get worked up over it.

Lexible
2014-04-10, 12:19 AM
I'm still using "Durk Malackssen." I don't think there's any official version, just whatever the individual poster happens to like.

To be fair, even if there were an official name, individuals would still be entitled to use whatever they happened to like. :smallsmile:

Mike Havran
2014-04-10, 01:56 AM
Durkula all the way. I really don't see anything wrong with that name (and haven't read any reason why it is reviled beyond "It's awful"), and at least it's a name and not a title.

ChristianSt
2014-04-10, 03:32 AM
The only thing I ever used before High Priest of Hel was Vampire!Durkon. (Tough one reason was certainly that most terms like Durkula implied more heavily that it was not Durkon, and thus imo a bit speculative)

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-10, 06:15 AM
Another name I forgot to add to my list of Durkon's names that I have seen is "Yeerkon".

Turgon9357
2014-04-10, 07:14 AM
Is it too much of a stretch to corrupt HPoH to Hippo?

Domino Quartz
2014-04-10, 07:20 AM
The title of this thread deceived me. I thought it would be about a hypothetical battle between HPoH and the vampire people thought was still Durkon. I was disappointed. :smallfrown:

maximus
2014-04-10, 08:33 AM
How about we think outside the box and call him Bob.

Vinyadan
2014-04-10, 02:28 PM
How about we think outside the box and call him Bob.

Let's make him Bobula.

MagicalMeat
2014-04-10, 03:00 PM
The main reason I prefer Durkula is it's a name, and HPoH is an abbreviation. It's not like the MitD, which any name given would have no basis.

UristMcRandom
2014-04-11, 12:18 AM
Is it too much of a stretch to corrupt HPoH to Hippo?

Great minds think alike, a cookie to you sir!

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-11, 05:10 AM
Great minds think alike, a cookie to you sir!

Just be warned that people may have no idea what you're talking about if you use that. :smallbiggrin:

Diadem
2014-04-11, 10:30 AM
Personally I don't like HoPH. It's needlessly complicated, while Durkula is nice and poignant. Also, there might be many High Priests of Hel, we don't know, so the name is not very descriptive.

Gift Jeraff
2014-04-11, 10:53 AM
Personally I don't like HoPH. It's needlessly complicated, while Durkula is nice and poignant. Also, there might be many High Priests of Hel, we don't know, so the name is not very descriptive.

IIRC every high priest in the comic has been referred to as "the High Priest of X."

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-11, 01:55 PM

He is the High Priest of Hel, not just a High Priest of Hel. Plus, given that there most likely very few Hel worshippers, I doubt there are that many priests of hers to begin with. I don't find it all that complicated either, especially if people are going to abbreviate it.

Edit: Actually she says " High Priest", not "the High Priest". However, she still uses a singular term, so the point still stands. If there were multiple, she would say "as one of my High Priests".

Vinyadan
2014-04-11, 02:58 PM
He is the High Priest of Hel, not just a High Priest of Hel. Plus, given that there most likely very few Hel worshippers, I doubt there are that many priests of hers to begin with. I don't find it all that complicated either, especially if people are going to abbreviate it.

Edit: Actually she says "my High Priest", not "the High Priest". However, she still uses a singular term, so the point still stands.

Then let's say Hel's High Priest. BAM! Case solved.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-11, 04:41 PM
Then let's say Hel's High Priest. BAM! Case solved.

Same thing as the High Priest of Hel, isn't it?

Vinyadan
2014-04-11, 04:44 PM
Same thing as the High Priest of Hel, isn't it?

Well, it doesn't have an article. Or does the genitive imply that he's the only one?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-11, 04:52 PM
Well, it doesn't have an article. Or does the genitive imply that he's the only one?

You could probably just say High Priest of Hel, then. The only problem is that some people assume that you dropped an "a" and not a "the". I don't really care about typing the extra word, though, so I would just keeping saying the full thing. Hel's High Priest works just as well, but it also causes the problem of introducing yet another name into the mix.

NihhusHuotAliro
2014-04-11, 10:53 PM
Another name I forgot to add to my list of Durkon's names that I have seen is "Yeerkon".

I love that name.

I also love Nokrud.

I now suggest Krondu. THat way, it's not completely obvious who he is to new fans when they overhear us talking about it; and later, when it hits them, it's a "oh, I really should have figured that out.".

Durk Mallaksen is the thrall vampire spawn of Malack.

Darkon is a hypothetical slightly more selfish and released, but still very good Durkon that the High Priest is pretending to be. Darkon wouldn't betray the order, but the High Priest would.

So, the evil vampire Durkon persona (but still pretending to be an evil Durkon, not a thing controlling Durkon) should be called Nokrud. Once Darkon is revealed to be nothing but a persona, the order will fight with Nokrud, who they think is Durkon turned evil.

If the HIgh Priest pretends to have an internal battle with Durkon, with Durkon sometimes in control; so the dwarf appears to still have some Durkon in control, we call it Not-Durkon.

Should Durkon be completely subsumed, we shall call the dwarf Yeerkon.

Should Durkon take over and be in controll of the body, it will be Vampire Durkon.

Count Durkula would be what would happen if the High Priest and Durkon merged into one consciousness.

When we don't know which of the above it is, we call it Krondu.

Cracklord
2014-04-11, 11:38 PM
Not Durkon, Not-Durkon. Durkon not not-Durkon, Durkon knotted by not-Durkon, not Durkon, while not-Durkon, not Durkon, seems to be Durkon, not not-Durkon, by acting like Durkon, not not-Durkon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html)

Hope that clears everything up.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-12, 07:52 AM
Not Durkon, Not-Durkon. Durkon not not-Durkon, Durkon knotted by not-Durkon, not Durkon, while not-Durkon, not Durkon, seems to be Durkon, not not-Durkon, by acting like Durkon, not not-Durkon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html)

Hope that clears everything up.

Clear as crystal, now. :smalltongue:

Bulldog Psion
2014-04-12, 06:41 PM
I love that name.

I also love Nokrud.

I now suggest Krondu. THat way, it's not completely obvious who he is to new fans when they overhear us talking about it; and later, when it hits them, it's a "oh, I really should have figured that out.".

Durk Mallaksen is the thrall vampire spawn of Malack.

Darkon is a hypothetical slightly more selfish and released, but still very good Durkon that the High Priest is pretending to be. Darkon wouldn't betray the order, but the High Priest would.

So, the evil vampire Durkon persona (but still pretending to be an evil Durkon, not a thing controlling Durkon) should be called Nokrud. Once Darkon is revealed to be nothing but a persona, the order will fight with Nokrud, who they think is Durkon turned evil.

If the HIgh Priest pretends to have an internal battle with Durkon, with Durkon sometimes in control; so the dwarf appears to still have some Durkon in control, we call it Not-Durkon.

Should Durkon be completely subsumed, we shall call the dwarf Yeerkon.

Should Durkon take over and be in controll of the body, it will be Vampire Durkon.

Count Durkula would be what would happen if the High Priest and Durkon merged into one consciousness.

When we don't know which of the above it is, we call it Krondu.

I kind of like this, it's hilarious.:smallbiggrin:

CaDzilla
2014-04-12, 06:49 PM
Malack gave this guy the name Brother Thundershield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0878.html). Hel gave him the title "High Priest of Hel". So his full title is: "High Priest of Hel, Brother Thundershiled". He was never named in comic "Durkula"
EDIT: Brother Durkon Thundershield, High Priest of Hel

Keltest
2014-04-12, 06:55 PM
Malack gave this guy the name Brother Thundershield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0878.html). Hel gave him the title "High Priest of Hel". So his full title is: "High Priest of Hel, Brother Thundershiled". He was never named in comic "Durkula"

you realize that Durkon's surname is Thundershield, correct?

jere7my
2014-04-12, 07:33 PM

It's in one of the bonus strips.

CaDzilla
2014-04-12, 07:38 PM
you realize that Durkon's surname is Thundershield, correct?

Brother is capitilized (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0895.html). This means that Malack is using the term as a proper noun and therefore the thrall's name

Keltest
2014-04-12, 07:58 PM
Brother is capitilized (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0895.html). This means that Malack is using the term as a proper noun and therefore the thrall's name

Or a title.

CaDzilla
2014-04-12, 08:00 PM
Or a title.

Fair point, but that also means that the it'a just as legitimate as calling him the HPoH

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-12, 08:33 PM
EDIT: Brother Durkon Thundershield, High Priest of Hel

Malack gave him nothing. Brother Thundershield is merely Malack's way of saying "Durkon Thundershield". This name reflects Malack's mistaken and bizarre belief that the High Priest of Hel was Durkon. Since Malack was wrong about was going on, the name that he gave him is far from correct. Anyways, The High Priest of Hel is no longer a thrall, so the name no longer describes him.

CaDzilla
2014-04-12, 09:16 PM
Malack gave him nothing. Brother Thundershield is merely Malack's way of saying "Durkon Thundershield". This name reflects Malack's mistaken and bizarre belief that the High Priest of Hel was Durkon. Since Malack was wrong about was going on, the name that he gave him is far from correct. Anyways, The High Priest of Hel is no longer a thrall, so the name no longer describes him.

Still a title that Malack gave the little Helspawn. I'm just going with it because it sounds cool and ominous.

Loreweaver15
2014-04-12, 09:42 PM
Still a title that Malack gave the little Helspawn. I'm just going with it because it sounds cool and ominous.

Malack was in the habit of calling the living Durkon "Brother Thundershield" already.

Kimera757
2014-04-13, 07:38 PM
The situation is very confusing. For a few weeks (well, one comic, but a few weeks) I thought the High Priest of Hel was Malack. I'm still not convinced they're different people. *Sigh*

Ghost Nappa
2014-04-13, 07:48 PM
The important distinction between the two is the implication: before #946 when everyone was under the presumption that Durkon was still Durkon, just powered by negative energy, an alignment switch, and a deity swap, it made a lot more sense to call him by Durkula. But the twist of #946 shows rather clearly that "Durkula" does not exist: there are two characters: the Durkon Thundershield we are familiar with, and a negative energy vampire devil spirit thing who happens to be Hel's High Priest. He has not been given a name. Until he gets one, I think I'll call him....Poochie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417183/quotes)?

Domino Quartz
2014-04-13, 07:51 PM
The situation is very confusing. For a few weeks (well, one comic, but a few weeks) I thought the High Priest of Hel was Malack. I'm still not convinced they're different people. *Sigh*

Malack couldn't be the High Priest of Hel, because he doesn't worship Hel at all. He worships Nergal. At least, that was all true when he was still undead.

Reddish Mage
2014-04-18, 01:06 PM

I agree 'Durkula' is short and succinct and invokes the image of a Durkon-turned-vampire while sounding clever. 'High Priest of Hell' is four words and is more naturally a descriptive phrase than a proper name.

Gift Jeraff
2014-04-18, 02:36 PM
before #946 when everyone was under the presumption that Durkon was still Durkon, just powered by negative energy, an alignment switch, and a deity swap

Not (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326180-This-isn-t-Durkon) everyone (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326077-I-think-we-have-a-vampire-problem&p=16815381&viewfull=1#post16815381).

Ionathus
2014-04-18, 02:57 PM
I now suggest Krondu. That way, it's not completely obvious who he is to new fans when they overhear us talking about it; and later, when it hits them, it's a "oh, I really should have figured that out.".

Emphasis mine.

Did you join the forums actively before becoming caught up on the comic? I'd always steered far clear of them before I'd binged my way through the 850+ strips completely, since I figured there'd be spoilers more than aplenty.

And I'm glad I did, since one look at even all of the subjects lines in this forum ("The Order of the Stick" one) would likely be enough to spoil quite a bit. Only things I would expect to be off-limits/spoiler tagged would be stuff like Start of Darkness, etc.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-18, 04:39 PM
Emphasis mine.

Did you join the forums actively before becoming caught up on the comic? I'd always steered far clear of them before I'd binged my way through the 850+ strips completely, since I figured there'd be spoilers more than aplenty.

And I'm glad I did, since one look at even all of the subjects lines in this forum ("The Order of the Stick" one) would likely be enough to spoil quite a bit. Only things I would expect to be off-limits/spoiler tagged would be stuff like Start of Darkness, etc.

Actually, I think that the High Priest of Hel is fairly spoiler-free, since it doesn't tell you who the High Priest is. Of course, if anyone new reads this thread, the whole secret is out. :smalltongue:

Also, not everyone would've had this experience, but I didn't even realized that the forums existed until I started exploring other aspects of the site apart from OOTS.

Psyren
2014-04-18, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I use Durkula because it makes me giggle when people get worked up over it.

These :smallbiggrin: although I do like the ring of Darkon.

Reddish Mage
2014-04-18, 06:39 PM
Not (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326180-This-isn-t-Durkon) everyone (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326077-I-think-we-have-a-vampire-problem&p=16815381&viewfull=1#post16815381).

I remember discussing about it at length about D&D vampires even before Malack finished turning Durkon into a vampire, and that a number of us recalled that D&D vampires are supposed to be taken over by "malevolent negative energy beings." After Dukula started up with his accent, however, and rejoining the OOTS, everyone flipped back to "its really Durkon" camp. I followed after seeing that even the D&D nerds seemed to accept its possibility (I'm not sure if there is any sourcebooks or campaign settings that make vampire exceptions).

SavageWombat
2014-04-18, 08:16 PM
High Priest of Hel is necessary because, in the Geekery Thread, they don't like to use fan nicknames for characters, and the vampire spirit as yet has no distinct name. That's the closest to an in-comic descriptor we have.

Durkula is a great fan-nickname, and I like using it myself. I don't know why it offends people (except for "it sounds stupid to me", which is fine) but I don't see any reason why we can't use it if we want.