PDA

View Full Version : E6 Natural Attacks Via Feats

Naanomi
2014-04-09, 08:52 PM
For an E6 campaign rolling up; never done E6 before but should be fine. The players are being encouraged to optimize within the confines of E6; and appear to be doing so amiably... we got your Thrallherd and Pixie Warlock and whatnot, but lack real melee power.

I want a 5 (Mix of Classes with full BAB)/Soul Eater 1

Dragonborn Kobold (not venerable!) with 'claw/claw/bite' Kobold variant and Dragon Tail Feat gets me 4 attacks to start, with Flaws.

Bind Vestige/Practiced Binder can get me some Horns
Open Chakra (Arm)/Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) can net me 2 Slam attacks
Illithid Heritage/Illithid Skin/Illithid Grapple X4 can get me Four Tentacles
Improved Unarmed Combat/Superior Unarmed Combat gets me one attack as a Monk, which I *think* can be put into a natural attack routine for two um... deadly hip thrusts... at 6 BAB
Snap Kick can give one more, if the above trick works

Meaning my attack routine is Claw/Claw/Bite/Slam/Slam/Gore/Hip/Hip/Kick/Tentacle/Tentacle/Tentacle/Tentacle; plus another Claw if hasted... For a total of 13 or 14 attacks

SO, that being said... am I missing any feat-related tricks to get more natural attacks? Is there a better (perhaps template related) option to start this off than the claw/claw/bite/tail I began with? Are there any natural attack generating grafts or items within the E6 level limit?

Deophaun
2014-04-09, 09:04 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Chaos Roc Span). The Chaos Roc Span is from Dragon #350, shoulder chakra, and shaping them (not binding) gives you two wing buffet attacks that have reach and deal non-lethal damage.

Abberation Blood + One other aberrant feat + Deepspawn from Lords of Madness give you two tentacle attacks.

Improved Unarmed Strike is handled just like a manufactured melee weapon when combining it with other natural attacks: You use your full BAB routine with it, and all your other NAs are treated as secondary attacks.

Edit: I believe the Horned Helm (MIC) is E6 compatible. That will give you a gore attack, which can free up two of your feats.

Coidzor
2014-04-09, 09:21 PM
There's Chaos Roc Span from Dragon Magazine. Just from shaping it to the shoulders you get 2 nonlethal wing buffets. Bind them to Shoulders and you get lethal damage as well as a fort save against Daze if you hit with both. d4s for damage, and they have reach, so not too shabby.

Claws of the Wyrm shaped to either hands or arms should give you better base damage dice(d6s) than your Kobold-derived claws(d3s, IIRC).

The Dragon Tail soulmeld could potentially give another tail attack when shaped to feet or waist, though it's more limited

Various other soulmelds will give stuff like pounce, improve your crit range, give you weapon finesse, a version of Power Attack for Natural Weapons only, or increase the damage dice of your natural weapons by one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15401482&postcount=4)(Look at the Soulmelds which enhance melee damage section)

And yes, you can use Unarmed Strike with natural weapons as part of a full attack. It just makes all of your natural weapons secondary attacks. Superior Unarmed Strike is something to consider as well for a better damage die on the unarmed strike.

For example, a Whirling Frenzy City(Urban?) Brawler Barbarian can, when TWFing with Improved TWFing and before factoring in non-BAB to-hit bonuses, make a full attack of +0/+0/+0/+0/-5/-5(6/6/6/6/1/1 -2 from TWF, -2 from Snap Kick, -2 from Whirling Frenzy) followed by their natural weapons all at -5, -2 if they have Multiattack & +0 if they have Improved Multiattack. Probably don't want to have that many minuses though, and TWFing with unarmed strikes is kind of wonky and many DMs don't allow it, though the variant Barbarian specifically allows it.

As for items, IIRC, both the Fanged Mask and Horned Helm from Magic Item Compendium are within the budget and other restrictions for items in E6, but you already have a bite attack, so all it gets you is a gore attack from items.

Other combos include Warforged + Jaws of Death feat(Races of Eberron) + Second Slam(also Races of Eberron) will get a bite and 2 slams, though you'll need to double check with the DM because the wording on Second Slam is a bit wonky and likely in need of adjudication. Mourning Mutate(Dragon 359) is a way to get access to Deepspawn without having the Humanoid Type, and one of its options would buff your unarmed strike damage if you juggle natural weapons and unarmed strike well.

Half-Minotaur would give a Gore attack and Medium Size, increasing your Kobold-derived natural weapons by one size category, and without the ability score modifications from the size change it's not too crazy and mitigates the lower strength from being a kobold in the first place.

dextercorvia
2014-04-09, 10:25 PM
Abberation Blood + One other aberrant feat + Deepspawn from Lords of Madness give you two tentacle attacks.

The other Abberant feat should be Inhuman reach, giving you an extra 5ft of natural reach.

PsyBomb
2014-04-10, 09:50 AM
Eventually, you want to Split Chakra (hands) in order to get and bind Sphinx Claws to pounce.

Naanomi
2014-04-11, 12:05 PM
Eventually, you want to Split Chakra (hands) in order to get and bind Sphinx Claws to pounce.
The entry classes will probably be Barbarian 1/Swashbuckler 1/Fighter 2/Warblade 1... So Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian gets me pounce and an extra attack