PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a mythology game

BlasphemousSlug
2014-04-09, 09:44 PM
My group has just finished a long running Champions game and now we're looking to get back to our roots in fantasy games. We wanted to try to play a game where we are mythological characters of our own devising, creating our own legends. We tried this idea before with D&D, but it never had the mythic feel we wanted. Does the playground have any suggestions?

Diskhotep
2014-04-09, 09:52 PM
My first thought would be Fate Core. Divine abilities are easily done as aspects/stunts, and as long as your characters' interactions are with other mythological beings you don't need to bother scaling it to include mortals.

BlasphemousSlug
2014-04-10, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look. Are there any other suggestions?

Airk
2014-04-11, 08:08 AM
Well, there's Agon (http://www.agon-rpg.com/) if you want to do Greek Myth - it's pretty much designed for a bunch of adventurers all trying to one-up each other to be the Most Awesome Greek Myth Hero Ever.

Jenrock
2014-04-11, 08:13 AM
I think Exalted (if refluffed) might work for such a game, as the characters are gods to begin with. Scion, however, is purpose-built for exactly what you want. It is set in the modern era, but that stops mattering quickly, so it should be no issue if you wanted to make it bronze age or anything else for that matter.

Both games are by White Wolf (though Onyx Path is now working on Scion 2nd edition), and use the storytelling system.

Red Fel
2014-04-11, 08:31 AM
I think Exalted (if refluffed) might work for such a game, as the characters are gods to begin with. Scion, however, is purpose-built for exactly what you want. It is set in the modern era, but that stops mattering quickly, so it should be no issue if you wanted to make it bronze age or anything else for that matter.

Both games are by White Wolf (though Onyx Path is now working on Scion 2nd edition), and use the storytelling system.

I'm going to second Scion. Although the mechanics can be wonky, the flavor itself is perfect. The setting is this: The PCs are the literal children of the classical deities (Greek/Roman, Aztec, Egyptian, Japanese, Loa, etc.) being employed as their parents' agents in the modern world. The power levels are pronounced; a single Scion is already worlds beyond what an ordinary human can do. There is even specifically a Legend mechanic - basically, as you do epic things, the things around you become connected with your legend, which makes you more legendary, which leads to you being able to do more epic things, etc.

It's basically a game of superheroes with divine flavor.

BlasphemousSlug
2014-04-18, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. We've decided to go with Scion, my group being fairly huge White Wolf fans. Somehow this one managed to escape our notice.

Soarel
2014-04-18, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. We've decided to go with Scion, my group being fairly huge White Wolf fans. Somehow this one managed to escape our notice.

I second that. Scion is an excellent system for what you're trying here.