PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help Nerfing this Paladins Greathammer

drewdp
2014-04-10, 12:53 AM
So the paladin in my party wanted to use a two handed greathammer similar to Uther the Lightbringer from World of Warcraft.
I originally didn't find anything in the books but found this most likely homebrew version: http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Greathammer_(3.5e_Equipment)

I gave it to him, and noticed it was fairly overpowered for his level 1 character. Anyway using it for two session we saw how powerful it was. I discussed it with him we both agreed it could do with a nerf.
Right now I'm thinking make it a straight 20 crit chance, but not sure how everything else fairs. Should it continue to be a martial weapon, and would you guys make any other changes, or conversely, does anyone believe it is ok the way it is?

thanks for the input!

Hytheter
2014-04-10, 01:00 AM
It should probably just be 20/3x crit to bring it in line with the sword and axe equivelants.

oh wait, it's not actually homebrew, it's in Monster Manual IV (it says that on the page, but I was skeptical until I checked). But it's also an exotic weapon. So it's probably best to either nerf it as above, or make him take the feat.

tyckspoon
2014-04-10, 01:02 AM
If you can check the actual source (helpfully provided by that particular wikia!) you'll find that unless your player is a Greathorn Minotaur, his hammer is an Exotic weapon. Not generically Martial as mis-quoted by the wiki.

As a Martial weapon, yes, it's overpowered, at least as much as a mundane weapon can be - it's strictly better than both the Greatsword and Greataxe for damage-dealing. As an Exotic weapon, it's perfectly fine, IMO; it's the same crit range as spending a feat to get Improved Critical for a Scythe, plus a largely irrelevant increase in the base damage die.

Envyus
2014-04-10, 01:56 AM
Indeed just make him spend the feat and it should be fine.

drewdp
2014-04-10, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, It's good to know it is in fact a weapon, and just exotic. I'm having him change his weapon focus feat to weapon proficiency and he can pick focus back up at level 3 (next session)

Diarmuid
2014-04-10, 09:39 AM
You could also go with the Maul from FR and simply "fluff" it as a really big hammer.

killem2
2014-04-10, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't change anything, except the feat requirement.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 05:19 PM
What would the damage be if it was large? I didn't see a size increase for 1d12 on the chart.

Oops just found it in my DMG

Spore
2014-04-10, 05:24 PM
Use an earth breaker (or it's stats):

Name
Price
DMG (medium)
Critical
Range
Weight
Type

Earth Breaker
40 gp
2d6
x3
none
14 lbs.

Source: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/armsAndArmor/weapons.html#_earth-breaker

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-10, 05:38 PM
Use an earth breaker (or it's stats):

Name
Price
DMG (medium)
Critical
Range
Weight
Type

Earth Breaker
40 gp
2d6
x3
none
14 lbs.

That seems like an awfully expensive oversized sledgehammer. I understand how swords, and maybe even giant axes, might be expensive, as it takes a bit of skill to do that forging (much more for the sword). But a giant hammer (even with the milling on the face)? It can't really get any simpler to make without being a club.