PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept Build

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 08:28 AM
I'm looking to make a whisper gnome (movement 30') dragonfire adept focusing on knowledge and diplomacy.

Going dragonborn as soon as DM will allow

Stats to be rolled

Feats
1) trivial knowledge
Flaw) open minded
Flaw) ability focus (breath weapon)
3) entangling exhalation
6) leadership
9) power surge
12)
15)
18)

Invocations
1) draconic knowledge
3) beguiling influence
6) humanoid shape

Feel free to help me fill in the blanks.
I'll edit this as I see fit. I appreciate the input.

Rebel7284
2014-04-10, 08:57 AM
Some metabreath feats could be nice. Quicken your Dragonborn breath the same round you do your DFA breath. Makes for some nice first rounds.

Tryxx
2014-04-10, 09:04 AM
Personally, I feel no Dragonfire Adept is complete without the following: Entangling Exhalation, Draconic Flight, Flyby Attack, and Chilling Fog.

Flying around breathing destruction on things that can't get away is fun.

Going the Knowledge focused route you may want to grab an appropriate Knowledge Devotion for your campaign, but I'm not sure where you'd fit it in, looks like it would come online pretty late.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 09:14 AM
Some metabreath feats could be nice. Quicken your Dragonborn breath the same round you do your DFA breath. Makes for some nice first rounds.

Bahaha I love this!

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 09:16 AM
Personally, I feel no Dragonfire Adept is complete without the following: Entangling Exhalation, Draconic Flight, Flyby Attack, and Chilling Fog.

Flying around breathing destruction on things that can't get away is fun.

Going the Knowledge focused route you may want to grab an appropriate Knowledge Devotion for your campaign, but I'm not sure where you'd fit it in, looks like it would come online pretty late.

I'll be gaining flight through humanoid shape

Shining Wrath
2014-04-10, 09:20 AM
I'd take Entangling Exhalation at level 1. It's just that good.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 09:32 AM
I'd take Entangling Exhalation at level 1. It's just that good.

I'm aware. And under normal circumstances I would. But my DFA is a nerd who has been researching dragons and discovers a potential for draconic abilities. So while my tendency is to optimize, I'm putting it off a few levels for role playing value.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-10, 09:35 AM
I'm aware. And under normal circumstances I would. But my DFA is a nerd who has been researching dragons and discovers a potential for draconic abilities. So while my tendency is to optimize, I'm putting it off a few levels for role playing value.

Never will I criticize putting character concept ahead of optimization. Especially for the first 2 levels :smallsmile:

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 10:00 AM
Never will I criticize putting character concept ahead of optimization. Especially for the first 2 levels :smallsmile:

I played a DFA to level 4 previously after my rogue died. Everyone else was a few levels ahead of me, but entangling ex made me the MVP of the group.

tri
2014-04-10, 10:21 AM
You should take some metabreath feats too, since you can qualify due to your Dragonborn breath weapon. Also, by RAW you can apply the Metabreath Feat to your DFA breath weapon, as it never stated that you can only apply it to a breath weapon with a cooldown with a duration of rounds.

Power Surge from Dr313 is pretty nice too, and has the added bonus of being able to give your DFA breath weapon a cooldown, so Metabreath Feats can be applied to it without the iffyness of the option above.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-10, 10:49 AM
You prolly won't be making a lot of attack rolls but if you want to have fun some natural attacks from Humanoid Shape you could roll with some Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories. You're looking at base of 11+ranks+int+reroll. This could help make up for your low BAB if you wanted to go that route even if you lacked ranks in some knowledges.

Blood~

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-10, 04:47 PM
This is a beautiful combo. The check is already at 16 before the roll.