PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check: Character Creation Competition

Jallorn
2014-04-10, 08:38 AM
So I had an idea for a competition that would allow us to stretch some different muscles from the other competitions that run on the boards. This isn't a homebrew competition or an optimization competition, this is a competition to create interesting and unique characters along certain parameters. I'm talking build, backstory, personality, the whole shebang. Goal would be to create an interesting and engaging character who has a lot of story potential and integrates mechanics with fluff in as seamless a manner as possible.

I've got some framework in mind, set level, themes, etc. but before I hammered things out, I wanted to see if there was enough interest in the idea first. So what do you guys think?

As a side note, it is my hope that after a few iterations, it would also become a great resource for character ideas/inspiration.

Defiled Cross
2014-04-10, 09:13 AM
A sound idea.

Prefer interesting character backgrounds over most anything.

: )

Eldan
2014-04-10, 10:15 AM
IT's a bit close to Iron Chef, maybe, which is a character building competition too, though focused more on the mechanical end. If I understand this correctly, you'd focus on the fluff end?

Jallorn
2014-04-10, 10:57 AM
IT's a bit close to Iron Chef, maybe, which is a character building competition too, though focused more on the mechanical end. If I understand this correctly, you'd focus on the fluff end?

Indeed. Iron Chef is mechanical optimization. This would be about total build coordination and fluff.

Kol Korran
2014-04-10, 11:28 AM
I'm not much for the other crunch competitions, but I'm always looking for decent flavor application. I would be interested, perhaps I'll even participate (Not much of a competitor).

In short- Sure! Sounds intriguing...

Red Fel
2014-04-10, 11:59 AM
Indeed. Iron Chef is mechanical optimization. This would be about total build coordination and fluff.

You had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Jallorn
2014-04-10, 03:46 PM
So I guess there's enough interest to start looking at our frame, how we want to present the competition.

I know at least that limiting level to a specific level is important because it keeps the characters more comparable for judging. Outside of that, I'm all for getting creative with the challenges. For the first one I'm thinking keep it simple, give a level and a concept or image of some sort. But for later ones a fun challenge might be creating a fully formed build, and then challenging people to come up with different backstories that are both unique and justify the build as it is.

So I guess, what do we do for the first one? is where we should start.

As I said, I was thinking start simple, so probably level 5.

Also, I've worked up a list of benchmarks that illustrate what various levels mean, at least for me. Would such a list be useful for maintaining expectations, or should keeping the story within range of the level capabilities be part of the challenge?

Amphetryon
2014-04-10, 04:28 PM
How much characterization is typically expected, in your experience, prior to a Character advancing in levels?

What I mean is, many Characters have their crunch and fluff strongly impacted by the storyline in which they play.

Jallorn
2014-04-10, 04:40 PM
How much characterization is typically expected, in your experience, prior to a Character advancing in levels?

What I mean is, many Characters have their crunch and fluff strongly impacted by the storyline in which they play.

These don't have to be PCs, they can be NPCs, where the DM needs to have notes to keep everything coherent. But even if they are PCs, it's not a matter of expected, it's a matter of, "What's your best?" Because a well defined character makes the first few sessions flow much better. Admittedly, level 1 is limited, but even then that's part of the challenge. I'm not hardly expecting great long fictions, I'm not expecting much more than a page or two, honestly, of fluff information. The challenge is being able to do as much as possible with that space and the other limitations of the competition.

Sure, the character can change later, but this is about first introduction. Who is he, and why? You have to start somewhere.

Acco Spoot
2014-04-10, 05:47 PM
Oh, I am so up for this! Fluff is far and away the best part of RPG's (That might be due to a complete lack of skill in optimization on my part.)

DSmaster21
2014-04-10, 06:00 PM
I have been working on a terminally ill alchemist seeking a method of immortality (Sorta weak as it is kind of an obvious move when you consider that their level 20 ability can be immortality but this was originally something I wanted to play and I am tired of dump statting WIS for all my CHA and INT casters). But then again I really don't have much skill in the ways of the typist. I'll say I would participate. What will likely happen is I will visit the thread see all the awesome ideas and then start trying to write mine. I'll finish and then I'll end up deleting the whole post.

In short I think it is a great idea but I doubt that I will contribute.