PDA

View Full Version : Unholy Ravager of Tiamat

Shadowscale
2014-04-10, 09:27 AM
I'm assuming a sorcerer with a single level of cleric would not be able to qualify for this prc until well into epic levels, is their anyway a sorcerer could qualify for this class with any amount of dips or cross classes throughout the levels and with feats, abilities, and any shenanigans?

Cog
2014-04-10, 09:44 AM
What are you planning to accomplish with this class? If you're just planning on turning Sorcerer levels into Cleric levels anyway, why bother taking Sorcerer in the first place?

Even so, this doesn't work: You only trade sorcerous ability gained "by virtue of [your] age and draconic variety," not by class levels.

Shadowscale
2014-04-10, 09:46 AM
What are you planning to accomplish with this class? If you're just planning on turning Sorcerer levels into Cleric levels anyway, why bother taking Sorcerer in the first place?

Even so, this doesn't work: You only trade sorcerous ability gained "by virtue of [your] age and draconic variety," not by class levels.

I'm aware that it only transitions your draconic age hit die, I was trying to theurge in a sense.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-10, 09:57 AM
At 1st level, an unholy ravager loses any effective sorcerer level it had previously gained by virtue of its age and draconic variety. Its effective divine spellcasting level increases by the number of sorcerer levels it sacrificed, allowing the dragon to cast cleric spells much more effectively.

Your sorcerer levels, per RAW, should be by virtue of your age and draconic variety - that is, taking class levels as a sorcerer doesn't seem to help, it's being a dragon to begin with and having advanced as a dragon leading to sorcerer levels.

First, therefore - are you playing a dragon PC? If not, your DM may rain upon your parade. Half-Dragon Template will qualify you, though.

If, then, you are playing a "dragon" PC, ask your DM if class (not draconic) levels of sorcerer will convert. If not, stop, your premise is invalidated. But if so ...

Now you're looking to increase BAB. Are you willing to nerf your caster ability? If so , ask your DM if Battle Sorcerer will convert as sorcerer levels. Battle Sorcerer gets 3/4 BAB progression, so you'll get to URoT at level 20.

Otherwise, you're looking for feats that increase BAB. None come to mind.

Vaz
2014-04-10, 10:12 AM
I tried something with this in an IC challenge a while back.

Steel Dragon 4/Sorc 1/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 2/Full BAB 9/Contemplative 1/Unholy Ravager of Tiamat.

The only way I can think of qualifying pre Epic and still getting 9th level spells (and before Biffonacious comes in, no bloodlines either).

WhamBamSam
2014-04-10, 10:31 AM
I wrote quite a bit about the Divine Conversion PrCs in my Dragon Handbook (see sig). By my reading, the only way Divine Conversion works is if your Sorc casting is racial in origin - essentially meaning you have to be a Steel Dragon, Tome Dragon, or a Half-Dragon version of something with innate Sorc casting (though as long as you don't have any actual Sorcerer levels, I think you should be able to increase the effective Sorcerer caster level traded in by progressing the casting through PrCs). However, the PrCs also have the advantage of increasing "effective divine spellcasting Level" as opposed to "effective level in a divine spellcasting class," which I believe means that by RAW it increases Divine Spellcasting in broad generality, that is, it boosts all your Divine casting classes instead of just Cleric or whatever. Of course, any Divine Conversion build is going to have problems functioning up until very high levels.

Unholy Ravager is the hardest to enter by a significant margin because one of the prereq feats requires you to be large. Dispassionate Watcher of Chronepsis is probably the best, as it just has a bunch of knowledge skills instead of a BAB requirement, and hence allows you to focus on caster progressions instead of melee foolishness.

Shadowscale
2014-04-10, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the help, I had intended to take half dragon to accomplish all of this, but didn't know what a good base race would be.

Vaz
2014-04-10, 11:13 AM
I cannot think of a Large creature with racial Sorcerer casting that is playable, making this build moot.

Shadowscale
2014-04-11, 09:38 AM
I cannot think of a Large creature with racial Sorcerer casting that is playable, making this build moot.

Enlarge person permanency?

WhamBamSam
2014-04-11, 10:38 AM
Enlarge person permanency?You need the dragon type, which means Enlarge Person doesn't work on you unless you first PAO into a humanoid, then get permanently enlarged, then get the PAO dismissed, then dodge the book the DM throws at your head. Also, Steel Wyrmlings are Small, so you'd need to go up two size categories, meaning you'd need some sort of always up augmented Expansion (Lesser Rod of Persist+Magic Mantle might work).

Bozzak Draconians from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting have the dragon type, racial Sorc casting, and medium size for 4RHD/3 LA. I forgot them in my last post. Also, Driders are large and can have Sorcerer casting, but you can't get the BAB of a Half-Dragon Drider high enough to qualify for Unholy Ravager pre-epic.

EDIT: A much simpler way to bump your size a single category is the Ring of Growth from Savage Species. Also, Bozzak Draconians have the problem of not having a breath weapon (which you need for Unholy Ravager's prereq feats), but the Metabolic Fire graft from Races of the Dragon would fix that.

Shadowscale
2014-04-11, 10:58 AM
You need the dragon type, which means Enlarge Person doesn't work on you unless you first PAO into a humanoid, then get permanently enlarged, then get the PAO dismissed, then dodge the book the DM throws at your head. Also, Steel Wyrmlings are Small, so you'd need to go up two size categories, meaning you'd need some sort of always up augmented Expansion (Lesser Rod of Persist+Magic Mantle might work).

Bozzak Draconians from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting have the dragon type, racial Sorc casting, and medium size for 4RHD/3 LA. I forgot them in my last post. Also, Driders are large and can have Sorcerer casting, but you can't get the BAB of a Half-Dragon Drider high enough to qualify for Unholy Ravager pre-epic.

EDIT: A much simpler way to bump your size a single category is the Ring of Growth from Savage Species. Also, Bozzak Draconians have the problem of not having a breath weapon (which you need for Unholy Ravager's prereq feats), but the Metabolic Fire graft from Races of the Dragon would fix that.

Would any of this have the potential for an effective character make?

WhamBamSam
2014-04-11, 11:32 AM
Divine Conversion builds tend to only come online at very high levels by their very nature. So if you're playing a very high level game you might be able to make a worthwhile Divine Conversion build, but even the earliest ones come online pretty late (earliest I've managed is around level 18, and that's with LA buyoff). The only reasons you'd go with Unholy Ravager over Dispassionate Watcher or even Sacred Warder are a) fluff and b) breath weapon shenanigans, which really work best if you're using a True Dragon and have access to the Ravening Psychosis from Dragon 313.

For example, Bozzak Draconian 4/Mystic Ranger 1/LA+3/Paladin of Tyrrany 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Divine Crusader of Tiamat 1/Full BAB PrC with Divine Casting 1/Unholy Ravager of Tiamat 1 with a Ring of Growth and the Metabolic Fire graft to make various prereqs is certainly playable at level 20 (16 BABs, casts as Divine Crusader of Destruction 9 with a bunch of low level spells from other sources), but it's kinda too much investment and cheese for too little payoff.