PDA

View Full Version : Civilization thread: gaelic slimes edition.

Pages : [1] 2

DeZako
2014-04-10, 09:44 AM
So, I know this has been done before, but I guess I could try my hand at it.

For the uninitiated, this game spawned from (as far as I know) the /tg/ board of 4chan. The concept behind it is that you act as a voice in a council that decided the fate and actions of a tribe. I, as the DM, tell you about the situation (place the group is in, food stocks, techonology researched...), and you, the players, decide on what to do next, where to allocate your human resources, what to give priority to... Ideally this would be by reaching a consensus among the many players, but for the sake of fluidity and to get rid of clutter, the first option to be supported by three players is the one I´ll get.

So I want to play. What do I do?
No inscription processes here. Jump in, inform yourself a bit about the situation and speak your mind, even if you weren´t here at the start of the thread. Try not to screw the tribe as a whole for the lulz and probably your ideas will find a way in.

Now, on to the game proper...
(image is too large to put here, and I´m a bit pressed for time, so you´ll have to click on the link and vote)

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1393/87/1393876956248.jpg

Pick a race and location. First option to get three votes is the one we´ll roll with.

Go!

Jormengand
2014-04-10, 11:02 AM
Skaven, Subterranean.

Razanir
2014-04-10, 11:08 AM
Slime, Floating Islands

DeZako
2014-04-10, 11:11 AM
Will wait for some more votes. Great to see I got the ball rolling!

Darklim
2014-04-10, 02:15 PM
Holy pasta I am the luckiest man alive to find this thread

That being said, I want to see this starting as soon as possible, so I'll support the Slimes in Floating Islands. Say, DeZako, how lenient are you with magic and/or technology? Read: what awesome stuff can we get through research, which will be my main target throughout the game?

DeZako
2014-04-10, 02:39 PM
We´ll see, but in tech I am willing to go up to renaissance levels of technology, so that means muskets and gunpowder for you. Magic is going to be powerful, and I´ll try to come up with interesting spells.

Jormengand
2014-04-10, 03:03 PM
Since they have practically the same kinds of bonuses anyway, I'll support the slimes and flying islands to get things moving.

DeZako
2014-04-10, 03:52 PM
Great. Slimes, flying island. Go!

Your tribe wakes up in a flat surface covered in grass. You do not know how you got here, or anything about your previous life for that matter. All you see is grass, a forest to the north and, towering over said forest, a mountain.

You feel hungry, and by the looks of it, so does the rest of the tribe. You're also feeling drier than you're comfortable with. You will survive, but you'd feel much better if you find a water source, and the sooner...

You have twenty adult slimes (anthropomorphic)
Food is scarce and the tribe is complaining. They also need water and housing.

Darklim
2014-04-10, 03:58 PM
Grass, uh. Which means no food source around, so I guess we're heading towards the forest.

Unless... say, how complete do we need to stay? As in, can one of us just go through the earth, since we're liquid and all, and check if there are any insects in there?

DeZako
2014-04-10, 04:53 PM
These slimes are more gelatinous than liquid. They are more dense than water, and thus, unable to go through large masses of matter. A couple layers of cloth, or a chainmail maybe, but not dirt.

edit: friendly reminder: you have to cast some votes on the preffered course of action. Also bumping.

Darklim
2014-04-11, 07:08 AM
Then ahoy, to the Forest !

Targ Collective
2014-04-11, 07:37 AM
I vote for the Forest. 'Cause there's nothing else.

Eternis
2014-04-11, 06:33 PM
Forest, so say us all!

DeZako
2014-04-12, 06:48 AM
Great, to the forest it is.

You lead your tribe further inside the forest. Birds chirp cheerily left and right, and you soon find a beaten path. You spot some tracks, of a bipedal being. It also looks vaguely like the claw of a chicken, but turned up to eleven in terms of size. Upon closer inspection, one of the hunters tells you this track is recent, but that this path isn´t precisely a highly traversed road. Further down the path, you find a clearing, with a small promontory in the middle. The only path leading to it is the one you came through.

What will the tribe do?
Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)

Some info on the tribe

Population:20 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 10 civilians, 5 children)
Items: 5 crude spears
Food: None, you better find some!
Current occupations: All the tribe is travelling.
Tech: crude weapons and tools.

Current known terrain:
http://i.imgur.com/58sZXYX.png

Darklim
2014-04-12, 08:27 AM
By the oily beard of Slimea, they be giant flying chickenlike monsters !

>Gather

Yeah, changed my vote. Old habits kicking in, didn't realize there was another option to get food.

Eternis
2014-04-12, 09:15 AM
We have no idea what dangerous things might be around. Let's gather instead.

Targ Collective
2014-04-12, 09:20 AM
Gather +1.

Razanir
2014-04-12, 11:59 AM
Sure, count me down for gather as well.

Side notes for my fellow players:
*What do you think of the tracks? Are we assuming megafauna, friendlies, or something more nefarious?
*Do we want to explore, and if so, who do we send? This leads to another question,
*Do we assume it's safe enough to use the military as scouts? Or should we wait and build up the military, so we can leave some behind.
*Do we want to settle in the clearing or not?

DeZako
2014-04-12, 12:33 PM
You command the tribe to gather food and wood to start a fire. Soon, you find yourself with enough food for two days. One of the last gatherers brings eggs, and reports that when he climbed the tree the nest was sitting in, he saw a small lake beneath a waterfall.

What are the orders?

Targ Collective
2014-04-12, 12:36 PM
The tracks, I consider, to be a harpy sign. They're huge avian creatures. Not sure how they get on with slimes.

If we send explorers out we send the military. They're trained for it. Certainly we don't send the kids and the civvies are needed for fortifying our position. I wouldn't be against scouting out with two military at this time, but until we find water and a chance to bulk up our people we should be careful.

I'm not against settling here, if we can find a reliable food source, But we should first ascertain what the large tracks are - no sense pitching our tent over a nest of vipers.

Razanir
2014-04-12, 12:46 PM
Let's head toward the lake. Even if it's already inhabited, surely they'd be more welcoming to fellow semi-aquatic creatures. Right?

Targ Collective
2014-04-12, 01:35 PM
Agreed, we need water - we're slimes! To the lake.

Darklim
2014-04-13, 01:02 AM
Forgot to vote : ahoy, to the lake !

DeZako
2014-04-13, 07:40 AM
The tribe decides to head for said lake, almost dehydrated from the trip. Following the description of the gatherer that first spotted the lake, you journey to the northeast, anxious to feel the refreshment of clear water. Following a path, the tribe turns to the right, and finds itself in the path of a humanoid being, although avian in appearance. It stands a little taller than the average member of your tribe, and is wearing some rudinentary clothing.

It soon lets out some sort of panicked bellow and runs into the woods.

The tribe marches forward, a bit frightened now due to the discovery of possibly hostile neighbors, and soon you find the lake. It is a beautiful sight, for sure, the waterfall ending in a cloud , and water flowing smoothly from that point. A small river flows from the lake to the south.

What to do now?

Darklim
2014-04-13, 12:06 PM
Can we breathe underwater? In that case, I suggest not capitalizing too much on the land, developing digging tools as soon as possible, then go living in caves dug under the lake.

And if we don't, then too bad. In both cases, we start building huts and defences for the night, with some wood I think.

Razanir
2014-04-13, 12:47 PM
Can we breathe underwater? In that case, I suggest not capitalizing too much on the land, developing digging tools as soon as possible, then go living in caves dug under the lake.

And if we don't, then too bad. In both cases, we start building huts and defences for the night, with some wood I think.

I second this.

I also suggest that if the harpies come back, that we try negotiation first. If we can befriend them, they could be valuable allies.

DeZako, my questions about us:
*How much sleep do we need?
*Can we breathe underwater?
*What do our shapeshifting powers entail?
*In general, what magic do we have?

DeZako
2014-04-13, 03:45 PM
Answers post:
-No, you can't LIVE underwater. You can remain submerged much longer than any other non-aquatic race, but you still need to surface every half an hour or so.
-You need about 6 hours of sleep.
-You can transform your shape, but not your color/texture/smell... and even then, you have to retain the same volume across shapes.
-None at the moment, magic takes some research to develop.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-13, 04:47 PM
two questions:
1. can we move faster in the water than on land (and if so, by how much)?
2. which of these two counts?

You have twenty adult slimes (anthropomorphic)

also, i suggest we dig narrow (but possibly deep) channels all through the settlement and around it so we have better access to water and can easily evacuate into the lake if need be.

DeZako
2014-04-13, 05:14 PM
two questions:
1. can we move faster in the water than on land (and if so, by how much)?
2. which of these two counts?

also, i suggest we dig narrow (but possibly deep) channels all through the settlement and around it so we have better access to water and can easily evacuate into the lake if need be.
1-faster, about x1.5 faster.
2-welp, continuity error. the second one.

Razanir
2014-04-13, 07:16 PM
So to consolidate what everyone's saying:

Build a settlement. It'll contain huts for the night and maybe trenches. In the morning, then, we'll start digging trenches for water access and defense.

Then once we're settled and can start researching, I suggest water-controlling magic. DeZako, is that possible right now?

DeZako
2014-04-13, 07:40 PM
Yes, of course, but damn is it going to be hard to come up with spells for that...
And I´ll type the story tomorrow. It´s 2:30 am here and I need some sleep.

Darklim
2014-04-14, 12:49 AM
Wait. 2:40 AM ? We're on the same timezone.

Also, I'd suggest prioritizing roofs and other type of rudimentary protections against flying enemies. Because harpies.

Though in theory, they shouldn't already know that they can only grab us by the core, which would buy us a one-time protection against their first raid (if first raid there is), but still. I'll feel much safer with a roof over our heads.

DeZako
2014-04-14, 05:24 AM
You put the tribe to work, even the children. Soon you find yourself with some crude huts that seem to be able to stand against a moderate wind.

Since water is primordial to you as a race, you dig some trenches from the lake and into the camp, where water flows freely, making it easier to access to it.

However, the lack of proper tools makes everything harder, and it takes you five days to build the camp. Food is, once again, scarce, and some members of the tribe report seeing some winged being in the forest

What now?

Darklim
2014-04-14, 07:37 AM
Ack. Digging trenches without a shovel: bad idea.

I'd say for now we gather food from the border of the forest, maybe try to catch fishes if we can; then, we start combining rocks and sticks to make our very first shovels.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-14, 09:30 AM
some more questions:

1. how old are the children?
2. are their parents part of the tribe?
3. at what age are slimes considered adult?
(depending on the answers to those three questions, we might need to assign someone to take care of the kids.)

4. how big is the core of a slime?
5. how laborious is slime reproduction? (if they just dump some eggs into the water and leave them alone for a couple of months or something like that, we can start to think about increasing the tribe's size a bit sooner.)

Targ Collective
2014-04-14, 11:22 AM
Gather, then research. (Suggest doing two turns a narration to speed things up a bit.)

Razanir
2014-04-14, 02:13 PM
Gather more food. I suggest fishing. While doing so, send a few slimes out to scout how deep the lake is and if we have any sentient neighbors.

Afterwards, start researching. I suggest something water-related. Like primitive scuba or snorkeling, or perhaps water-controlling magic.

My plan with the magic: When we get good enough at magic, go underwater and dig a hole into the side of the lake. Then use our magic to keep the water at bay so it doesn't flood the caves.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-14, 02:47 PM
My plan with the magic: When we get good enough at magic, go underwater and dig a hole into the side of the lake. Then use our magic to keep the water at bay so it doesn't flood the caves.

we don't need magic for that if we just make the entrance under water and then dig upwards so that the caves themselves are above the waterline. given that there's a waterfall around, the terrain should offer enough of a difference in elevation for that.

anyway, i second the fishing and tool making. we'll especially need axes, hammers and shovels for the start, i think. and maybe some really crude spears (i.e. just sharpened sticks) that can be used both for fighting and fishing (unless our guys are better with their bare "hands").

Razanir
2014-04-14, 03:37 PM
we don't need magic for that if we just make the entrance under water and then dig upwards so that the caves themselves are above the waterline. given that there's a waterfall around, the terrain should offer enough of a difference in elevation for that.

anyway, i second the fishing and tool making. we'll especially need axes, hammers and shovels for the start, i think. and maybe some really crude spears (i.e. just sharpened sticks) that can be used both for fighting and fishing (unless our guys are better with their bare "hands").

True... Yeah, let's go with that plan AFTER we get shovels.

So yeah. Research basic tools- axes, hammers, shovels, and crude spears. Although I'd put an emphasis on the shovels and maybe spears (if we need fishing help), so we can set up our cave.

DeZako
2014-04-14, 04:07 PM
Exhausted after the effort of making the camp without tools, the tribe realises they need some. And they also need food to stay alive, so they divide the tribe in two, and send each group to do a specific task: 7 adults are researching tools in one of the bigger huts, and 8 are gathering food for the tribe. Research seems to go smoothly, but it´ll take some time to bear fruits.

Some of the gatherers report seeing feathers not far from the camp, and are afraid of an impending attack.

Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)

------
Stocks:
Food: enough for now.
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, trenches derived from the lake.
Current occupations: Working on the settlement
Diplomacy:
Spells: none
Tech: crude weapons and tools(researching)
Story so far:
The tribe has awakened in a grassland. Seeing no food in the vicinities, they have ventured forth into the forest to the north, and have found a small lake beneath a waterfall where they have set up camp.

------
Remember that you can split the population between tasks, not all of them have to be designated to a single task. That might also help speed things along. Also if voting for research, please specify what to research, since there is no fixed tech tree.

Razanir
2014-04-14, 04:16 PM
Three groups:
*Have our military be at the ready. Hopefully we can negotiate with them (even if that just means trading food for aerial scouting), but we should still be prepared for if things turn south.
*Half the remaining adults keep gathering. Although keep it closer to home, like fishing, for safety reasons.
*The other half continue researching. Just because there's a potential attack coming, that doesn't mean we have to stop science.

The extra food is for negotiations, by the way.

Darklim
2014-04-14, 04:42 PM
Well, we can't afford to ambush our arriving adversaires. We go with Raz's plan, wait for them, and pray a little.

Targ Collective
2014-04-15, 04:12 AM
I'm with Razanir. The plan is intelligent.

Eternis
2014-04-15, 06:40 AM
I agree with the current plan of action. ((More votes Yaaaaaay!))

DeZako
2014-04-15, 07:07 AM
You split the tribe in three, and for a while everything goes apace. The watchmen haven´t seen a bird in a couple of days, the researchers have come up with ways of building tools that would help in making the camp advance further, and the gatherers, taking advantage of all of this, have seen the stocks of the tribe rise enormously. Everything seems fine for a while, until you hear some wings above you. As you face upwards, you notice you are pretty much surrounded by a bunch of feathered bipeds, complete with wings, wielding spears.

You try to communicate with them, and slowly you start to make progress. They seem friendly, but make it clear that they won´t take kindly to your tribe expanding westwards. After they have made this clear, they leave, uninterested in the trade of food.

What to do now?
Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)

-------Social:
Name the tribe and the camp.

Targ Collective
2014-04-15, 07:12 AM
We need more people. Therefore I suggest we... get busy. There's water after all.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-15, 08:03 AM
We need more people. Therefore I suggest we... get busy. There's water after all.

on that note, i'd like to repeat my questions with special emphasis on the last one:

1. how old are the children?
2. are their parents part of the tribe?
3. at what age are slimes considered adult?
(depending on the answers to those three questions, we might need to assign someone to take care of the kids.)

4. how big is the core of a slime?
5. how laborious is slime reproduction? (if they just dump some eggs into the water and leave them alone for a couple of months or something like that, we can start to think about increasing the tribe's size a bit sooner.)

and to add one more:
6. on which side of the lake are we? (west seems likely, but i'd like to be sure.)

now some suggestions:
1. with all the additional fish we apparently can't trade, we should research how to preserve it, i think. turning it into stockfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockfish) would probably be easiest provided the climate is right.
2. i think we should explore the lake so we know approximately how much fish there is and how much we can take within a given period of time without overfishing. also, we might find other stuff we can work with.

DeZako
2014-04-15, 01:29 PM
Sorry for not answering the questions, I had intended to do so in the last story post, but real life took over.
1-some are old enough to be almost adult, some are not. I take care of normal reproduction and growth, you decide if you want to either focus on reproducing, or to stop it.
2-yes, although two are orphans.
3-slimes take one year to fully mature, and are socially considered adults at the two years mark.
4-big enough to fit in a human average hand.
5-it takes some time, but it isnt as laborious as human reproduction. Two slimes merge, and then separate, and one of them is carrying a core formed from the distilled genes of the parents. This core separates from the mother in one month, but until then, its like a second core to the "mother", thus making her twice as vulnerable for a month.
6-west side, brother.

Hope that clears everything up.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-15, 02:14 PM
almost, thanks. but how much and what kind of care do the kids require between separating from the "mother" and reaching maturity? or was that meant to be part of "I take care of normal reproduction and growth"?

one further suggestion: only civilians should become "mothers" so our fighting capacities aren't compromised through reproduction (unless having a warrior "mother" has some advantages, that is).

Razanir
2014-04-15, 02:27 PM
6-west side, brother.

So are we the Sharks or the Jets?

On a more serious note:

*I second the idea of scouting the lake. It'll be good to know how much we can fish, and how many slimes we can support.
*I also propose that we start digging our caves, since we have actual shovels now. The plan would be to dig into the side of the lake under the waterfall, then up to above water level. And probably dig into the wall behind the waterfall for a window.

Darklim
2014-04-16, 01:59 AM
I would have advised to get us some serious resources before starting to dig (as in, cutting wood, mining stone, etc...).

That being said, scouting the lake and starting to dig.

Also, folks, it might be a bit early to talk about science, but that's pretty much why I'm here. And here's the most fundamental question: how do we forge without fire? Or do we take the risk of using fire though we're highly flammable ourselves?

Still about science, I'd advise to follow an idea that spawned in an other civilization thread. Since necessity is the mother of invention, let's not actually research a given tech before we have a reason to do so, or at least an insight on how it works. If we follow this idea, right now, we can research pretty much anything about fishes, digging and building, but not, say, how to go somewhere faster, because we don't need to in the first place.

Targ Collective
2014-04-16, 04:26 AM
+1 scouting and digging.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-16, 10:29 AM
I would have advised to get us some serious resources before starting to dig (as in, cutting wood, mining stone, etc...).

good point, especially since we may need wood to shore up the tunnels if the ground is too soft.
so i propose this for a fine-tuned plan:
- 3 civilians and 2 warriors go out to cut some wood (preferably to the north or south if there are any trees in one of those directions - an updated map would be nice)
- 2 teams of one civilian and one warrior each scout the lake
- 3 civilians start digging
- 2 civilians and 1 warrior try to come up with a way to preserve the fish before it goes bad
- the children (as far as they are able) help with the digging and researching and can maybe take a closer look at parts of the lake that have been deemed safe by the explorers

and the question of the day: do slimes have any special dietary needs? (e.g. lots of fat)

Darklim
2014-04-16, 02:16 PM
so i propose this for a fine-tuned plan:
- 3 civilians and 2 warriors go out to cut some wood (preferably to the north or south if there are any trees in one of those directions - an updated map would be nice)
- 2 teams of one civilian and one warrior each scout the lake
- 3 civilians start digging
- 2 civilians and 1 warrior try to come up with a way to preserve the fish before it goes bad
- the children (as far as they are able) help with the digging and researching and can maybe take a closer look at parts of the lake that have been deemed safe by the explorersWell, that. But wait, what ARE we researching? Personnally, I'd say how to make stable tunnels, or how to catch fishes more efficiently.

Targ Collective
2014-04-16, 02:20 PM
We seem to be self-sufficient foodwise. Tunnels seems a good choice. Just watch out for Skaven...

Anyhoo, fine-tuned plan +1

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-16, 03:10 PM
Well, that. But wait, what ARE we researching?

i just didn't want to use the word "research" again.^^

DeZako
2014-04-16, 05:32 PM
After fancying some crude hatchets from nearby stones and sticks, some of your men venture into the woods looking for materials. They look wary, and you know it´s because of the newfound neighbors. They still go into the woods, since they have to, but they are not happy.
Those assigned to scout duty are happy. They get to explore a wet zone, and are pretty close to the camp, so they feel safe. The two teams dive without hesitation and start scanning the floor of the lake.
Then there are those that have to dig. Sporting shoddy shovels, they start going at it, and the soft soil makes it a lightweight task. They´d prefer to be on scout duty, nevertheless.
The more scientific minds of the community have noticed that while food is a-plenty, it´s quickly going to rot if they can´t do something to prevent it, and start researching a method of preserving food in edible condition.

At the end of the day, the tribe finds itself with a good amount of wood, amounting to 3 decent sized trees, that have been dragged painfully from the woods by the stoic lumberjacks, and with some rusty circular shapes of an unknown material that the scouts have found in the floor of the lake. Exploration of said lake has revealed that there is nothing dangerous within it, although there are some considerably sized holes down there. Scouts are already fantasizing about them leading to untold riches. Digging duty is coming along nicely, but the same can´t be said of the research. They have yet to reach a definite conclusion.

What now?
Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)

-----
Question answering time.
First, I take care of growth, that is, you are to assume that the kids are being brought up nicely and without interfering with regular duties unless I say otherwise. It might get too hard to track all that extra info.
Second, They don´t have "special" dietary needs, but they sure are fond of glucids.

And now I have a question for you. I don´t get what you´re trying to do with the digging. Build a cavern leading up the cliff? Please explain, and if you can accompany with a crude sketch, all the better.
-----
Camp info.
Stocks:3 felled trees, rusty coins
Food: enough for now
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, trenches derived from the lake.
Diplomacy:Avians(neutral)
Story so far:
The tribe has awakened in a grassland. Seeing no food in the vicinities, they have ventured forth into the forest to the north, and have found a small lake beneath a waterfall where they have set up camp. They have been contacted by a tribe of avians that far outnumber them.

Map of the known world
http://i.imgur.com/AzKp1Bs.png

Razanir
2014-04-16, 08:25 PM
We can survive for longer underwater, so an underwater cave entrance would be an easy first line of defense against invasion. However, we can't survive down there indefinitely, so we need to dig up above water level so our cave won't flood. Conveniently, though, there's a waterfall. So if we can dig up into the cliff from underwater, we'll get an underwater entrance while still having our living spaces be above water. (Sorta like a beaver dam)

http://i62.tinypic.com/15dw9b6.png

Darklim
2014-04-17, 01:03 AM
Which makes me think that we might need better pickaxes, if we're going to dig through rocks. About the fishes, can we get some salt somewhere? There should be some halite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halite) near the waterfall I guess.

So maybe finding rocks and carving them to get sharper and sturdier pickaxes, and sending scouts in the holes to find what's in them.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-17, 07:33 AM
if there isn't any salt around and the climate isn't right for stockfish (which reminds me, how is the climate in these parts?), we could also use some of the gathered wood to smoke the fish.
apart from that, i'm all for scouting and getting better tools if that's possible with just stones as material. maybe we could also make some stone knives so the scouts have weapons suitable for confined spaces (then again, slimes themselves are probably suitable weapons for confined spaces).
oh, and once we have the best axes we can get right now, we should probably start processing the wood into planks and struts to be used in the tunnels or further building projects.

question time: what does the grey line on the map (the one that crosses the lake) stand for?

Darklim
2014-04-17, 08:30 AM
'tis a cliff, I believe.

Aella
2014-04-17, 04:26 PM
(I don't know if I can still join this but here goes nothing)
I'll be a Dryad. My kingdom is a haunted forest. It sits in the center of a tundra.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-17, 04:40 PM
you can't choose your own setting, but you're welcome to deliberate with the rest of us on what to do in the existing one.

DeZako
2014-04-18, 06:03 PM
So, answering some questions in no particular order:
-point of the game is to build something collaboratively. I´d go crazy if I had to keep track of the stats and votes of three-four different tribes per thread. Feel free to make your own thread if you don´t feel like playing slimes. I don't know how it works, but it seems that this board has some "official" games, and I'd love to see Civ becoming one of them. Not sure how to do it, hell, not even sure if it's possible, but one can only dream. But if it IS possible, the process sure involves lots of people playing, and the more threads there are, more players...
-Slimes aren't D&D slimes, that is, corrosive. They are gelatinous, sure, but the can only kill someone they have absorbed through drowning and keeping them away from their core. It'd be way too overpowered otherwise.
-Grey line IS a cliff. Hexographer poses some problems when dealing with different heights. I´ll try to come up with a way of signaling them.
-Climate is way too hot and humid for stockfish (based on the wikipedia result a quick googling brought up). Weather has consistently been temperate so far, averaging at 25 Celsius, and in the two weeks that have passed, about 4 days have been rainy.

Man, isn´t this a cleverly disguised bump?

Razanir
2014-04-18, 06:37 PM
DeZako, did the diagram I posted help?

DeZako
2014-04-18, 06:47 PM
It sure did. You sure are a clever bunch, and although this is almost unheard of me, I say that without the slightest trace of sarcasm.

I'm still gonna try to put the tribe through hell, but hey, that's my duty, ain't it?

Also we need one more vote for going with making better pickaxes and scouting the lake's holes. Go, people, and lurkers, remember you're free to join anytime!

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-19, 06:17 AM
-Slimes aren't D&D slimes, that is, corrosive.

according to the rule JPEG in the opening post, they do have acid/toxic properties, though.

anyway, new fine-tuned plan:
- the 3 civilians and 2 warriors that have been gathering wood carefully scout the holes in the lake and maybe also try to figure out how much fish there is if they have the time (i'm proposing this switch of jobs because they reportedly didn't like being away from the water and the rule JPEG also mentions civil unrest)
- the 2 civilians and 2 warriors that have been scouting try to make (better) pickaxes, axes, hammers and knives out of stone and wood
- 3 civilians keep on digging as long as there's no need for struts. once they do need struts to continue, they make them from the gathered wood
- 2 civilians and 1 warrior keep researching a way to preserve fish, focusing their efforts on salting if there's enough salt readily available (this should only take a quick glance to find out and therefore hardly any time) and smoking otherwise
- the children (as far as they are able) help with the digging and researching

and the questions of the day:
1. what's the average life expectancy for slimes?
2. can slimes communicate via sound underwater?

Razanir
2014-04-19, 12:59 PM
according to the rule JPEG in the opening post, they do have acid/toxic properties, though.

anyway, new fine-tuned plan:
- the 3 civilians and 2 warriors that have been gathering wood carefully scout the holes in the lake and maybe also try to figure out how much fish there is if they have the time (i'm proposing this switch of jobs because they reportedly didn't like being away from the water and the rule JPEG also mentions civil unrest)
- the 2 civilians and 2 warriors that have been scouting try to make (better) pickaxes, axes, hammers and knives out of stone and wood
- 3 civilians keep on digging as long as there's no need for struts. once they do need struts to continue, they make them from the gathered wood
- 2 civilians and 1 warrior keep researching a way to preserve fish, focusing their efforts on salting if there's enough salt readily available (this should only take a quick glance to find out and therefore hardly any time) and smoking otherwise

I second this plan.

Jormengand
2014-04-19, 01:33 PM
I second this plan.

I third it.

Stick to the plan, guys, STICK TO THE PLAN!!!

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-19, 02:51 PM
i just noticed we totally forgot about this:

-------Social:
Name the tribe and the camp.

sooo, any ideas?
for the camp, i'm thinking of keeping it simple. so maybe "Littlelake"? or if you want it a tad more fancy "Lochvogue" (derived from the gaelic words for "little lake"^^)?
knowing a little bit more about slime culture would help with this, of course.

Darklim
2014-04-19, 03:14 PM
I don't think there's a real slime culture to speak of, since we're at the beginning of times. That being said, "Lochvogue" sounds good.

As for the tribe... I don't think we even know that another race than harpies exist, at this point. So the only other sapient beings we can compare ourselves to are meaty winged beings. I think it'd make sense to designate ourselves by comparison to others, which means that we should call ourselves something along the lines of "those that slither", because we can swim and we're planning to dig. Lots of slithering should ensue. In gaelic, this makes us the "Sleamhnaigh", which I'm fine with. And always with gaelic, "flight" translate to "Eitilt", thusly we could name the harpies.

Oh and fourthing the plan indeed.

DeZako
2014-04-19, 06:19 PM
The gatherers seem relieved when told of their new task. Now THEY get to explore! They dive, following your orders, and soon disappear from the sight of the tribe, that has gathered to see the grand event. A tense half an hour ensues, and people start to wonder if the divers have drowned, but soon one of them resurfaces and signals that all is okay. The tribe breathes, relieved and goes back to their tasks.
The first divers are destined to crafting duty, and some more reinforcement and sharpening proves useful, and they soon share this knowledge with the tribe.
Diggers keep digging their way up, and soon they go above water level. From there, they start digging out a cavern for the tribe to move in. It´ll take some time, though
Research continues to go apace, and the researchers soon discover some sort of rock that can be easily broken down to smaller crystals, but the amount of rock (named "salt", in honor of the discoverer) to be found around the camp is too small to be an effective means of preserving food. It does give a nice flavour to some meals, though. Currently, they are investigating the effect of fire in food's lifetime.

At the end of the day, the divers report of the tunnels leading down to a subterranean set of tunnels, which they were too afraid to explore further. Strange noises are said to have been heard down there.
All the tools are now in much better shape, but some wonder if there is a way of making them more durable, and start experimenting with new materials in their free time. These efforts have, so far, proven unsuccesful.

Also, joyous news for the tribe! One of the crafters is bearing a second core. In one month, the tribe will have a new member! Late times have been stressful, and nobody really had the time to think about these things, but Baird and Danu have been comfortable enough to have some... private understandings. You congratulate them both and hope the new child will be born into a better tribe.To celebrate the occasion, the tribe throws a big feast, and the camp is finally given a name: Lochvogue.

Things are looking bright.

What now?

Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)
-----
Sleamhnaigh (those who slither)

Items: 5 crude spears with stone heads, 2 stone pickaxes, 2 stone shovels, 2 stone axes, 2 hammers. Stone knives are commonplace.
Stocks:1felled tree, rusty coins
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, trenches derived from the lake. Cavern behind the waterfall accessible form underwater
Diplomacy: Eitilt(Avians, neutral, wary)
------
So we are going with gaelic slimes? Goddamit I love it.

And slimes are not exactly corrosive. yes, they will give a nasty rash to any human they come into direct contact, but that's about it. And if someone is stupid enough to swallow a slime, well I wouldn't call that a poisoning, I'd call it natural selection.

Answered question is the best type of question:
-Considering their short maturing cycle, I'd give them a lifespam of 25-30 years.
-I have been pondering about a language for these guys, but in the end I decided to just give them the ability to form mouths and vocalise, so they speak gaelic now. That means that no, they can't communicate underwater any better than we do.

Razanir
2014-04-19, 06:23 PM
Okay, I know it's Welsh and not Gaelic, but can we name something Blaidd Drwg at some point?

DeZako
2014-04-19, 06:34 PM
I'd check before with the rest of the council, but I can't see why not. Maybe a prominent member of society?

Razanir
2014-04-19, 06:36 PM
Perhaps. To those who don't get the reference, perhaps the English translation would be useful.

BAD WOLF

Eternis
2014-04-19, 08:47 PM
BAD WOLF
Yes.
Hell yes.
Hell. F*cking. Yes.
Seconded

Razanir
2014-04-19, 11:37 PM
Perhaps, due to lack of Raxacoricofallapatorian-built nuclear power plants, we could use Blaidd Drwg instead as a title. The leader of our tribe shall be the Blaidd Drwg, or, for those who would prefer actual Welsh articles, Y Flaidd Drwg.

Darklim
2014-04-20, 12:47 AM
due to lack of Raxacoricofallapatorian-built nuclear power plants
Hey! Spoiler alert! That being said...

BAD WOLF
YES. I suggest for it to be the official title of our army's general. That being said, animal names for every titles? I want our chief engineer to be the crafty monkey. Do we know what's a monkey though?

Also, I suck at fine-tuned plan, but the general idea should be more digging, researching fire and its effect (maybe we'll get some metal down the road), more enhancing tools, and scouting east I think.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-20, 05:08 AM
I don't think there's a real slime culture to speak of, since we're at the beginning of times. That being said, "Lochvogue" sounds good.

As for the tribe... I don't think we even know that another race than harpies exist, at this point. So the only other sapient beings we can compare ourselves to are meaty winged beings. I think it'd make sense to designate ourselves by comparison to others, which means that we should call ourselves something along the lines of "those that slither", because we can swim and we're planning to dig. Lots of slithering should ensue. In gaelic, this makes us the "Sleamhnaigh", which I'm fine with. And always with gaelic, "flight" translate to "Eitilt", thusly we could name the harpies.

Oh and fourthing the plan indeed.

ah, if you want to go with pure gaelic instead of anglicized words, the camp's name would be "Loch Bheag" ("bheag" is - more or less - pronounced like "vogue").
also, according to the online dictionary i just consulted, "sleamhnaigh" is a verb and the corresponding verbal noun (meaning "gliding"/"sliding"/"slithering") would be "sleamhnú".
i don't mind using some welsh (especially since gaelic was introduced with only 2 votes), but i'd prefer to use it for just one field of thought, e.g. titles.

as for what to do now, i suggest we dig a channel wide and deep enough to float a tree trunk to the forest in the south so the woodcutting becomes easier and while doing so, we should keep an eye out for bog ore (which doesn't exist exclusively in bogs).
the cavern behind the waterfall should probably be enlarged until we can "stand" there and then the diggers should start driving a first tunnel further into the cliff - all while looking out for soil resources, of course.
the research should definitely continue and the holes in the lake may need plugging up until our military strength has increased (then again, that might anger whatever is down there).
i'll put up something fine-tuned once everyone's had a little more time for suggestions.

Darklim
2014-04-20, 06:07 AM
ah, if you want to go with pure gaelic instead of anglicized words, the camp's name would be "Loch Bheag" ("bheag" is - more or less - pronounced like "vogue").
also, according to the online dictionary i just consulted, "sleamhnaigh" is a verb and the corresponding verbal noun (meaning "gliding"/"sliding"/"slithering") would be "sleamhnú".
i don't mind using some welsh (especially since gaelic was introduced with only 2 votes), but i'd prefer to use it for just one field of thought, e.g. titles.

Yeah, I looked it up, but "Lochvogue" sounds better than "Loch bheag", and "Sleamnaigh" better than "Sleamhnú". In my opinion, that is. If it matters to you, we can always switch.

DeZako
2014-04-20, 08:22 AM
I actually broke my own rule, and voted on gaelic slimes. Because hey, it's cool.

Razanir
2014-04-20, 08:46 AM
Hey! Spoiler alert! That being said...

Yeah... Not much of a spoiler in my book. BAD WOLF shows up all over the place in Series 1, and in one episode, the Slitheen were building a nuclear plant and named it the Blaidd Drwg project. Now a real spoiler would have been saying who BAD WOLF is.

YES. I suggest for it to be the official title of our army's general. That being said, animal names for every titles? I want our chief engineer to be the crafty monkey. Do we know what's a monkey though?

Yeah, I could get behind it as a title for the general.

Seeing as Rose destroyed an entire fleet of Daleks as BAD WOLF

So are we going with Welsh animals for titles, then?

Darklim
2014-04-20, 08:59 AM
I was joking about the spoiler alert. Though I still don't know who it actually is.

Also, yeah. Gaelic slimes with welsh high-ranking members. I can get behind that.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-20, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I looked it up, but "Lochvogue" sounds better than "Loch bheag",...

actually, they both sound the same, but i guess i understand what you mean.

now for the fine-tuned plan™(edits are in italics):
- of the people who've scouted the holes, 3 civilians and 1 warrior take the stone pickaxes and shovels and dig a channel (wide and deep enough to float a tree trunk) to the forest in the south while keeping an eye out for bog ore or other soil resources. the remaining warrior keeps an eye on the holes in the lake (especially at night if possible) and, since he (it?) already has his "eyes" underwater, tries to assess the approximate amount of fish in the lake. he should stay as far away from the holes as possible, preferably clinging to the shore so he's less conspicuous and with part of him out of the water so he can "breathe".
- the 2 civilians that have been crafting tools continue to do so, using the 2 new stone hammers (that should speed up production)
- the 2 warriors that have been crafting tools carefully scout the surroundings north, northeast, east, southeast and south of the lake, looking for anything of interest, but especially resources (i'm assuming that the "pregnant" slime is a civilian, but it would be nice to be sure)
- since we've already burned through two-thirds of our stock of wood (sorry for just noticing and sorry for the pun), the 3 civilians that have been digging the cavern get to see the sun again in order to cut some wood in the forest to the south. they use the new stone axes, of course.
- 2 civilians and 1 warrior keep researching a way to preserve fish, now fully focused on smoking

and the questions of the day:
1. what (i.e. what parts of the spectrum) and how good can slimes see? (the diggers didn't complain that they couldn't see anything in the cavern. so either they can see in the dark or they managed to get some dry torches there, possibly by putting them into themselves - both abilities would be useful.)
2. can they put "eyes" on opposite sides of their body?

Razanir
2014-04-20, 01:34 PM
I would like to amend that plan. Perhaps instead of harvesting trees right now, we could put it off a little longer and explore the land. The less we have to deal with the harpies' forest the better.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-20, 02:28 PM
the harpies only forbid us to go west, so the forest to the south should be fine. and we need the wood for smoking and for advancing the tunnels.
we could send out one or two of the toolmakers, though.

Darklim
2014-04-20, 02:33 PM
Welp, fine-tuned plan it is. Though we could contact the eitilt again to see what they're up to, territorially speaking. If they consider the whole forest as their turf, we're going to have a wood problem.

Razanir
2014-04-20, 02:46 PM
the harpies only forbid us to go west, so the forest to the south should be fine. and we need the wood for smoking and for advancing the tunnels.
we could send out one or two of the toolmakers, though.

I'm just skeptical of if it's safe, since there's no hex immediately to our west.

DeZako
2014-04-20, 03:16 PM
No hex means that hex is unexplored so of course there's some possibility of it being dangerous. Im gonna need consensus on the fine tuned plan. You might want to discuss the finer points of it before and reach an agreement before deciding.

Razanir
2014-04-20, 03:24 PM
No hex means that hex is unexplored so of course there's some possibility of it being dangerous. Im gonna need consensus on the fine tuned plan. You might want to discuss the finer points of it before and reach an agreement before deciding.

By "no hex", I was referring to the fact we have N, S, NE, NW, SE, and SW. There is so forest immediately to our west. The closest we have is the forest tile to our SOUTHwest. Hence, I'm assuming the harpies don't want us into that forest.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-20, 05:29 PM
By "no hex", I was referring to the fact we have N, S, NE, NW, SE, and SW. There is so forest immediately to our west. The closest we have is the forest tile to our SOUTHwest. Hence, I'm assuming the harpies don't want us into that forest.

and hence i proposed to send everyone straight south. anyway, i incorporated your scouting plan. maybe we'll find wood in another direction.
Darklim, please check if you're still okay with the edited plan.

Razanir
2014-04-20, 06:32 PM
and hence i proposed to send everyone straight south. anyway, i incorporated your scouting plan. maybe we'll find wood in another direction.
Darklim, please check if you're still okay with the edited plan.

I'm at least fine with the edited plan. And I know you only said south, but again, that whole forest feels to me like harpy territory. That's the real reason I suggested scouting.

Darklim
2014-04-21, 01:16 AM
I am fine with it.

DeZako
2014-04-21, 08:49 AM
Thing is the lake already derives into a river to the south, so I guess that'd count as a channel? or maybe I'm not getting what you mean.
here's the map as it is after exploring.
http://i.imgur.com/2UpRtl2.png

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-21, 09:21 AM
Thing is the lake already derives into a river to the south,...

yeah, but, going by the map, that river is not really close to the forest hex south of our camp, so digging a channel from the channel system in our camp to the forest should make for a much shorter way. also, dragging the trees upstream would be a pain.

now for the exploration results:
1. is there a particular reason the scouts left out the hex straight south of the lake and the one that's straight north of our camp (and still kind of north of the lake) or did they just get tired?
2. what's that in the northernmost explored hex? (i hope it's not another settlement.)
3. has the clearing in the southwest suddenly sprouted trees or is that just a little mishap?

DeZako
2014-04-21, 04:02 PM
The holes in the lake have arisen the suspicions of the tribe, and you destine a warrior to keep an eye on them. Said warrior is also tasked with keeping an eye on your primary source of nourishment: fish. He estimates that the lake has enough fish for a while, but feels that the tribe should have a secondary food source, since fish may be seasonal.
Wood is running out, and consequently you decide to start working towards extracting wood from the south- but first you have to take some measures to make transporting said wood easily. You put a quartet to work digging a channel south derived from the channel network in your camp. Work goes well, but it'll take time to be complete. Meanwhile, a couple of adults cut down some wood.
Using your new hammers, the crafters make a bunch of tools. They are of notable quality. The crafters are becoming better at their job.
You send some warriors to scout the surroundings, and they come back safe. Scared, but safe. They relay info about the nearby zones. To the north, a slightly mountainous zone, where the forest starts to thin out. East to southeast is forest all over again, pretty much like what you have previously found.
Research finally bears fruits, and the researchers show with great joy how fish that is smoked is edible for much longer, and tastes better! The change in diet is greatly welcome.

Digging the cavern behind the waterfall is put on hold.

An issue of a different ilk arises. One of the children is nearly two years old, and you remember there being a rite of passage between childhood and adulthood, but the specifics of it are lost in the fog that has latched to your memory. You'll need to improvise something...

What now?
Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)

------

Items: 10 crude spears with stone heads, 4 stone pickaxes, 4 stone shovels, 4 stone axes, 2 hammers. Stone knives are commonplace.
Stocks:2 felled trees, rusty coins
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, trenches derived from the lake. Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater
Tech: crude weapons and tools, smoking food.
------
Map
http://i.imgur.com/Ffs9Wkh.png
------
Question section:
-They have darkvision, but it is much worse than the normal vision they have when in sunlight.
-Yep, just as they can transform their shape they can move their organs around as long as they remain within their body.
-Questions about 1 and 3 were errors on my end. The northernmost hex represents a forested mountainous zone.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-21, 04:57 PM
thanks for the answers.
but of course the update also raises some new questions:
1. how far away is the warrior in the lake from a decent estimate on the fish population?
2. does the river stopping in open country mean that it continues underground?

on to general discussion:
now that our first real research project is done and we've already got a good stock of tools, what should be researched next (possibly after applying the new knowledge) and how should we go about discovering material for better tools and weapons? should we just dig tunnels until we get lucky and find a lode or do something else?
as for the rite of passage, that should depend on the general outlook of the tribe, i think. so do you feel we're rather warriors, builders/craftsslimes, scientists or something else?
either way, i think the rite should be accompanied with a little festivity. that would be a good occasion to ensure we don't run out of children anytime soon.^^

Koalita
2014-04-21, 05:13 PM
IMHO the slimes should take advantage of their strong points, that is, breeding as much as possible, and trying to develop magic.
Maybe smoked food may be of interest for the harpies, maybe not, but it may be worth a try (if we can get some scouting or just a better relationship with them, making sure they won't attack us in the near future)

Darklim
2014-04-22, 01:05 AM
A tribal rite of passage... Mh... This should stem from whatever little culture we have right now. And our greatest accomplishments so far is setting up a camp with huts, trenches, hidden cavern and other civil infrastructure before even learning what masonry is. I'd say we're quite the builders.

So yeah. A rite of passage should have something to do with building, if you want my advice. Maybe we should tell the children of a given year to band together and build something that they'll deem useful for the tribe? This way, we create early bounds between slimes of the same age (which is important if they're going to live in an community of some sort), we get at worst feedback on what would be useful for the tribe or at best something useful for the tribe, and we teach them early what will be important in their lives: building stuff. Also, fast-forward a few decades, and it's also convenient way to introduce education and school systems in our budding society.

Of course, this also means that, if we don't take social preventive measures, this means that as soon as the tribe will be large enough to require two different teams for the rite of passage, we'll likely end up with an interlocked clans system. It also means that the generational gap will be something of importance, but I can't really foresee the effect of that on the tribe.

As for the action of the turn, I say we research pottery. There are just so many uses for it. Plus it leads to masonry (which also means that we'll be able to build part of our town underwater), and the understanding that fire affects matter, which directly leads to trying to burn other kind of stones. Including minerals.

DeZako
2014-04-22, 01:49 AM
Whoops my bad. The river doesnt stop there, I forgot to continue it. Ill update the map when I get home. And I'm editing the last story post to add the fish estimation.

Darklim
2014-04-22, 02:51 AM
Oh snap, didn't see the food part! Well, I guess instead of researching pottery (which we should still do as soon as possible, given that it opens many possibilites), we send parties search for fruits or legumes in the forest. I'd say berries or something. It's time to start our very first fields.

(Also, might I ask where you get the hexagon tiles and the software to build the map, if there's one?)

DeZako
2014-04-22, 03:29 AM
Its hexograph and its completely free (http://http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/). I'll link it to you when I get home.

Darklim
2014-04-22, 05:43 AM
Thanks! It'll prove itself useful, I'm sure.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-22, 10:08 AM
So yeah. A rite of passage should have something to do with building, if you want my advice. Maybe we should tell the children of a given year to band together and build something that they'll deem useful for the tribe? This way, we create early bounds between slimes of the same age (which is important if they're going to live in an community of some sort), we get at worst feedback on what would be useful for the tribe or at best something useful for the tribe, and we teach them early what will be important in their lives: building stuff. Also, fast-forward a few decades, and it's also convenient way to introduce education and school systems in our budding society.

Of course, this also means that, if we don't take social preventive measures, this means that as soon as the tribe will be large enough to require two different teams for the rite of passage, we'll likely end up with an interlocked clans system. It also means that the generational gap will be something of importance, but I can't really foresee the effect of that on the tribe.

given that useful things are not necesssarily hard to make and that we only have one adult-to-be at the moment, i don't think we should make group work mandatory. instead maybe a minimum amount of work and/or inventiveness per head. the standard could be to build their own dwelling, to make a full set of tools or to invent a new (useful) tool.

Oh snap, didn't see the food part! Well, I guess instead of researching pottery (which we should still do as soon as possible, given that it opens many possibilites), we send parties search for fruits or legumes in the forest. I'd say berries or something. It's time to start our very first fields.

we could also play crocodile and catch wild animals when they come to the opposite side of the lake to drink.
but i agree that getting our "hands" on a variety of seeds is more important, especially since our people seem to be into carbohydrates.
oh, and we shouldn't forget to smoke the fish we already have, of course.

Darklim
2014-04-22, 10:29 AM
Plus, you know. Seeds are a valuable resources in this era. It can means the difference between the thriving of a new settlement and its death. And I'm not even taking into accounts the fact that the eitilt might be less wary about us if they realize that we're able to think on the long-term and develop ourselves.

As per the rite, coming up with tools doesn't really strike me as something only an adult can do. I mean so far, we're the kind of civilization that put children to work, so "extra work" doesn't really symbolize a transition towards adulthood, for me. Actually, the whole point of what I proposed was to band together kids. Of course, considering that there is only one child, it's kinda sorta impossible to make group work the basis of our rite.

That being said, "make your own house" is a good idea for now. Though it'll become obsolete once we start having deaths, since new homes will become available since the previous owner wont be here to live in it anymore. At that time, I suggest that simply "moving away from the parents' home" become the rite.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 10:43 AM
Edit: nvm, got myself confused.

Razanir
2014-04-22, 10:56 AM
Ideas for whoever wants to make the plan:
*Maybe explore the new forest a bit more.
*Certainly start getting wood from the new forest, instead of the harpies' forest.

And I like this idea of, at least for now, having new adults build a house as a rite of passage.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure if it is deviating much from the OP plan to run the game if we are coming with micromanagement of our resources, if it's better for him or if it would be easier if we come with 1/2 actions at a time. We obviously need to cover food needs at all times, but also research, develope and explore.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-22, 11:03 AM
Plus, you know. Seeds are a valuable resources in this era. It can means the difference between the thriving of a new settlement and its death. And I'm not even taking into accounts the fact that the eitilt might be less wary about us if they realize that we're able to think on the long-term and develop ourselves.

they might also become more wary, depending on how they look at it.

As per the rite, coming up with tools doesn't really strike me as something only an adult can do. I mean so far, we're the kind of civilization that put children to work, so "extra work" doesn't really symbolize a transition towards adulthood, for me. Actually, the whole point of what I proposed was to band together kids. Of course, considering that there is only one child, it's kinda sorta impossible to make group work the basis of our rite.

That being said, "make your own house" is a good idea for now. Though it'll become obsolete once we start having deaths, since new homes will become available since the previous owner wont be here to live in it anymore. At that time, I suggest that simply "moving away from the parents' home" become the rite.

we could also change "build" to "renovate/modernize" then. anyway, it was just meant as a kind of reference point for the required degree of accomplishment.

Ideas for whoever wants to make the plan:
*Maybe explore the new forest a bit more.
*Certainly start getting wood from the new forest, instead of the harpies' forest.

the forest to the south doesn't belong to the harpies. they didn't even claim any forest, just a geographic direction.
as for the exploring, that should be easy to combine with the search for seeds.

DeZako
2014-04-22, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure if it is deviating much from the OP plan to run the game if we are coming with micromanagement of our resources, if it's better for him or if it would be easier if we come with 1/2 actions at a time. We obviously need to cover food needs at all times, but also research, develope and explore.

Not sure what you mean, but right now it's pretty spot on on what the game is about. Fine tuning a plan between a number of people. I take care of the stats (food, amount of wood or other resources) and will say when the tribe is running low on supplies or is attempting something that they lack the materials for.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 11:55 AM
Sure, just wanted to make sure you were comfortable with how it was going :D

DeZako
2014-04-22, 11:59 AM
I love micromanaging, and you guys seem to be doing one hell of a job here, so yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with it :D

Darklim
2014-04-22, 12:49 PM
they might also become more wary, depending on how they look at it.I didn't think about that. Diplomacy is hard.

we could also change "build" to "renovate/modernize" then. anyway, it was just meant as a kind of reference point for the required degree of accomplishment.I like this plan.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 12:52 PM
Aren't we specialists in breeding? *grins*
Rite of adulthood? Form a new core :D
So, every new adult means a new kid will be born.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-22, 01:12 PM
i've thought about that, but with our current, small population, it would raise a lot of questions ranging from "who would (want to) help him with the core?" to "is incest a problem for slimes?". so i'd prefer to just think of the accompanying festivity as an opportunity for those with a partner to get in the mood and put their free time to some use. and hey, maybe the young adult's new abode will impress someone.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 02:02 PM
If the family structure is a classical pair raising their child, then it is easy to have caring parents to encourage their friends to breed, so their child will actually become an adult at some point. The child also can try to ask for friends to play with :P

Darklim
2014-04-22, 02:11 PM
If the family structure is a classical pair raising their child, then it is easy to have caring parents to encourage their friends to breed, so their child will actually become an adult at some point. The child also can try to ask for friends to play with :P
EVERYONE! WITNESS! KOALITA ENTERED THE MAGICAL REALM FIRST!

Which means that now I have a free pass to do so.

Say, how does our genetic meddling works (if we have genes at all)? Because darwinism predicts that if massive oozing together is the best way to share genes, then it should be the standard way to reproduce.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 02:31 PM
*whistles innocently*

waiting news :p

DeZako
2014-04-22, 03:06 PM
*rolls eyes*
Guys, I'm not going to turn this into slime smut. You have plenty o' that in the... finer parts of the internet.
That said, slimes have a genetic code that whilst different, works similarly to ours in respect to passing on the genes and such. Note that I have only the most basic of crash courses on the matter.
Reproduction goes as follows: Once a slime reaches maturity, within it starts to form a "bag" of a slightly different texture compared to the rest of the slime. When mating comes (no season for it), two individuals merge these bags and the resulting greater bag is deposited in one of the participants (they both take this decision, and if, for example, in a relationship between A and B A carries the first child, it's customary to take turns in carrying the folowing children: B will carry the 2º child, and then it's A's turn again). No pleasure is derived from this.
Incest is shunned by society, since it may lead to mental defects or physical disfigurement (in the slimes, it means much frailer children, and of a total volume much below that of a healthy individual.). And without the pleasure element thrown into the equation, incest per se is almos nonexistant. It almost only happens between member of a family so isolated from the tribe noone wants/can mate with them, by it by their high ranking, their low bearing, or the indesirability of the family's genes.
Slimes are monogamous in relationships, but since they derive no pleasure from "sex", or reproductive act (much more appropiate term), doing it with slimes out of the sentimental relationship isn't frowned upon. However, a slime in a relationship will become wary if it's partner bears more children of other slimes than it's own.
The closest thing to sex as an act of intimacy that is pleasurable is when two slimes merge together some parts of themselves, without the bags taking part in the process. This procces produces a subtle pleasure akin to what us humans would derive from eating our favourite food when really hungry, but nothing more.However, since this does not pose a risk of creating an undesirable slime from the merging of two bags from the same family, this act occurs between members of the same family that have reached adulthood, and is considered to be an activity akin to spending time with your loved ones doing something you enjoy, without the many undertones of human sex.
If any of this sound even slightly magical and/or realmy, it isn't because slimes aren't my fetish, thank you very much.
Also don't pay much attention to the essay on slime reproduction I just wrote.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-22, 03:13 PM
"Is your mind always in the gutter?" - "- asks the man with no pants." (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080418) :smallbiggrin:

anyway, here's today's fine-tuned plan (FTP):
- the 3 civilians and 1 warrior that have been working on the channel continue to do so, hopefully finishing it
- 1 of the 2 warriors that have been scouting relieves the lake guard. the other one guides the lake guard and the 2 crafters through the recently-explored terrain as they search for and gather edible plants and plant parts (this potentially includes certain grass seeds). they take a shovel with them in case something needs to be dug out, as well as 2 spears for protection and gathering faster food should they come across it
- the 3 civilians that have been cutting wood continue to do so, but now each of them has a stone axe
- the 2 civilians and 1 warrior that have researched smoking apply their newfound knowledge to the tribe's stock of raw fish, using the occasion to fine-tune the process
- the children (as far as they are able) help with the digging and smoking
- outside of the normal activities, the soon-to-be adult is told to start thinking about what kind of dwelling he would like to, well, dwell in and how to create it. meanwhile, as the adults go about their work, they try hard to remember bits of song and dance for the upcoming festivity and to come up with a good place to sneak off to with the partner of their choice for the same occasion

and here's today's (gutter) question: can two slimes "impregnate" each other in one go? edit: going by the post above, the answer is probably "no". or can a slime form multiple bags at once?
also, the essay raises further questions:
1. if slimes don't derive any pleasure from procreation, how haven't they died out yet? pure instinct? or do they feel displeasure when they don't procreate for an extended period of time?
2. if the act of procreation isn't such a big deal, is it even something that should be done in private or should i strike that part about people trying to think of places to sneak off to?

(and since my mind's already there, what does everyone think of the term "to puddle" in this context?^^ edit: given the new information, it could probably be the slimes' version of "to cuddle".)

Koalita
2014-04-22, 03:16 PM
I never thought such a detailed explanation about slime reproduction would be feasible!

Tbh, I just saw "Breeding: Specialists" and tried to get a reason for it :P

+1 to the Fine Tuned Plan.

Darklim
2014-04-22, 03:46 PM
If any of this sound even slightly magical and/or realmy, it isn't because slimes aren't my fetish, thank you very much.
Wildly weird way so say "I LIKE SLIME SMUT", DeZako.

That being, said, +1 FTP. Also, thanks. It's interesting to know how slimes reproduce. And I'm absolutely not envisaging keeping bags in jars and going full frankestein mad science why are you even asking.

... Wait a minute. DeZako, How wide is the lake? Because given what you told us about slimes, it must be prett wide.

Also, Koalita, never hesitate to ask question or work out implications of stuff - or even suggest wild new ideas. That's how we got the whole gaelic theme in the first place. And thinking about that, do we have white oaks somewhere near us? Because according to the great Wikipedia, we're going to need some if we want whisky. And since whisky is a gaelic word...

Koalita
2014-04-22, 03:57 PM
Aaaand whiskey is flammable, like our oil-water bodies, so it fits the theme appropiately :D

Would that get categorized as some kind of magic? Because, well, we should try to get some magical things once we have a stable food source

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-22, 04:02 PM
And thinking about that, do we have white oaks somewhere near us? Because according to the great Wikipedia, we're going to need some if we want whisky. And since whisky is a gaelic word...

...or, more accurately, derived from the gaelic word for "water"... :smallbiggrin:

but white oak isn't exactly necessary (only used for most (?) barrels). what we really need is some kind of grain.

DeZako
2014-04-22, 04:30 PM
My love for slimes is the same as my love for Jell-o: They might be tasty, but I wouldn't **** them.

You direct your crafters to scout the recently explored locations, searching for seeds or food in general. They are to be accompanied by the lake guard. The leave in the morning full of energy.
The researchers are told to go about smoking the food stocks, since some of it is starting to smell. They use the practical knowledge to improve the effectivity of the process.
Also, you tell the soon to be adult to start thinking of a building project for his coming of age rite. As soon as he exits the hut, you all break into fits of hyperventilation. You have been worrying yourself about how discovering they were bereft of their tradition would have impacted the tribe. You should not get comfortable, since you still have a great deal of improvisation in front of you.
At about midday, a loud thump is heard, and the earth is shaken. Then another thump. And another, and another. Soon it fades away, but it leaves the tribe scared of the source of the noise.
You welcome back the scouts at night, and notice they are shaken pretty bad. They unload a load of seeds and herbs at the stockpile, and narrate how in the middle of the day, the sun disappeared from their sight, blocked by a giant shape passing over them. They tell of a furred four legged creature with four eyes and two horns. They were too scared to do anything when the beast turned it's head to them, smelling them. They also say the beast left them alone, since they were not a menace to it.

What to do now?
Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)
-------------

Items: 10 crude spears with stone heads, 4 stone pickaxes, 4 stone shovels, 4 stone axes, 2 hammers. Stone knives are commonplace.
Stocks:4 felled trees, rusty coins
Food: Decent stock. Might last you a week. Variety: lacking.
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, trenches derived from the lake. Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater. Channels derived from the channel network at the camp to the south.
-------------
No map since there are no changes since last post.
-------------
Questions:
-Yes, the forest to the east have some white oak in them.
-Twins have been known to occur, but are even rarer compared to human rate of twins.
-Reproduction is not done in public, since decorum is in place. None of the participants derive pleasure, but it's a pretty intimate moment, just without any of the feelings related to sex attached to it.
-Slimes feel an urge to reproduce if they haven't in a number of years (depends on the slime), and, as sentient creatures, they have realised they need to increase the population. Also, some sort of biological clock is ticking within every slime, and from 10 years and older, they all feel the need to produce offspring.
-Lake is approximatedly 3/4 miles wide.
-I like the term "to puddle"

Razanir
2014-04-22, 04:50 PM
Do we have any other info on what our new neighbors are? Also, I propose we approach it the same as the eitilt. Don't be the aggressor, and use food as a peace offering.

Koalita
2014-04-22, 06:01 PM
What about some magic research? May give our explorers some tools to feel safer when exploring (like, stealthy means)

Darklim
2014-04-23, 12:54 AM
I, for one, welcome our giant beast overlord.

I think our next action should be "build: fields". Now that we have seed, it's time to cultivate.

Oh and btw, "to puddle" is a cute term. I'm all for it.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-23, 09:08 AM
Do we have any other info on what our new neighbors are? Also, I propose we approach it the same as the eitilt. Don't be the aggressor, and use food as a peace offering.

the description doesn't fit any of the species listed in the rule JPEG. so i wouldn't count on our new acquaintance being sentient.

@DeZako:
did the channel to the forest get finished? (the list of buildings points to that, but, as always, i'd like to be sure.)
also, one of the scouts from the previous turn was supposed to go with the searching party. i admit the sentence where i said that was a little convoluted.

oh, and how many turns do we have left before the rite?

DeZako
2014-04-23, 09:24 AM
Channel is pretty much finished. And the rite's taking place next turn. Do we want to follow through with the "building" idea?

Razanir
2014-04-23, 10:19 AM
Channel is pretty much finished. And the rite's taking place next turn. Do we want to follow through with the "building" idea?

Which building idea? Are we going with building something for the tribe or building a new home? My vote's for the latter.

DeZako
2014-04-23, 10:55 AM
The idea of having the coming of age rite be the soon to be adult build something. I'd say it built it's house, but you decide.

Koalita
2014-04-23, 11:32 AM
Creating something for sure looks like a good rite. Let it be a building so far, and later it can evolve into other things (from homes, to utility buildings, or tools, or life :P)

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-23, 12:58 PM
The idea of having the coming of age rite be the soon to be adult build something. I'd say it built it's house, but you decide.

i thought we had already agreed that the rite would consist in building your own home (at least for now). the preparations mentioned in the FTP were aimed at that, anyway.

now some thoughts on what to do next:
the youth should probably be given access to our stock of wood and some tools. while he's building, the others can still do other work.
i agree with Darklim that we should start sowing/building a field, provided we can do it without research.
with the channel almost done, we should be able to continue work on the cavern on the same turn.
woodcutting and guarding the holes should continue.
the researchers should prepare the festivity, possibly by researching how to form bagpipes and/or other instruments with their bodies and rehearsing some songs among other things.
at the end of the turn should come the festivity where the new adult's home is inspected, everyone has a good time and the older ones are reminded of the circle of life and that it's high time to make little slimes again.

also, here are some songs that may or may not fit the occasion:
an old gaelic one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRNou-7gI4o) (well, moderately old)
an old welsh one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTlKYTm0q3I)
and a list of modern gaelic ones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6__HssHW8&list=RD02VLwE-_wrj6I)

Darklim
2014-04-23, 01:42 PM
Alright, if we're going in-depth about the festivities:

- This is how we slow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XvZReW_cs
- This is how we traditional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg6xpLf2fGQ
- This is how we metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d44LW6KZ_iU
- This is how we breakdance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNwmG1zs28
- And this is how we rave party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1wUodQgqQ

That being said, we'd need instruments first.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-23, 02:27 PM
that's what the research proposal is for, but even without instruments we could still sing and cla... slosh our appendages together. if DeZako allows us to remember some songs, that is.

Razanir
2014-04-23, 02:55 PM
If we're rebuilding culture, do we also want to decide on a government? Perhaps a council with representatives from different parts of society (so a military leader, a construction leader, etc). Each could have a Welsh animal title depending on their sector, including, of course, Blaidd Drwg (BAD WOLF) for the military leader.

Darklim
2014-04-23, 04:33 PM
While it won't be fully in action for now (since you know, 20(+1 soon to be)-sized tribe), it might be a good idea to think about it, yes.

And I claim the Medrus morgrug ("skillful ant") as the head of the building department.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-23, 04:34 PM
If we're rebuilding culture, do we also want to decide on a government? Perhaps a council with representatives from different parts of society (so a military leader, a construction leader, etc). Each could have a Welsh animal title depending on their sector, including, of course, Blaidd Drwg (BAD WOLF) for the military leader.

yeah, but i'd prefer to leave that for another turn. maybe, after this hastily improvised tradition, the people could come to the conclusion that they need some kind of authority figure(s) whose job it is to organize this sort of stuff in the future.

now, here's today's FTP:
- the soon-to-be adult is given access to the stock of wood and 1 tool of each kind and told to start working on his future home
- the 1 warrior that has been guiding the group gathering seeds relieves the current lake guard (finally some time in the water for him). the other seed searchers and the relieved lake guard (2 civilians and 2 warriors in total) take 2 stone shovels, 1 stone pickaxe and the gathered seeds to the hex southeast of the camp and try to set up a field of... something they really ought to give a name
- of the people that have been working on the channel, 2 civilians and 1 warrior finish up the last bit, using 1 stone shovel and 2 stone pickaxes. after they've finished, they continue work on the cavern. once it's big enough to "stand" and "lie down" in, they start a tunnel to the northeast. they're always on the lookout for soil resources, of course.
- the 3 civilians that have been cutting wood continue to do so (naturally, with a stoneaxe each)
- everyone else (3 civilians, 1 warrior and the 4 children that aren't grown up yet) prepare the festivity at the end of the youth's rite of passage. they enhance some of the food's quality by adding a little salt and some of the newly-gathered herbs, decorate the camp with whatever takes their fancy and rehearse bits of half-remembered songs (apparently, slime songs contain the word "umm" a lot), trying to come up with ways to let their bodies produce aggreeable sounds other than normal speech/song while they're at it (oh, please let us have inbuilt bagpipes.^^)

- once the youth is done with his home, the adults will inspect and appraise his work. after that there'll be a raising speech by whomever picked the short straw and the youth will officially be welcomed to adulthood. then it's time for the convivial part of the affair, during which the new adult gets to boast in front of the kids and the older ones are reminded of the circle of life and that it's high time to make little slimes again.

Koalita
2014-04-23, 05:05 PM
That, sir, looks like a Fine Tuned Plan :D
+1

DeZako
2014-04-23, 05:15 PM
Before the next turn comes along, I want to get something through you: turn lenght in in game time. So far its been... irregular to say the beast. So I propose that each normal turn lasts for 1/4 of a year(you choose the staple gather research explore etc... in these but in a longer term scale), and "special" turns in between where the choice is in response of a special event (diplomatic contact, sieges, famines, plagues...). What do you think?

Also I love the idea of internal bagpipes!
The songs were simply great (interesting the gaelic translations of popular songs. Not my thing but interesting nonetheless).

Darklim
2014-04-24, 01:57 AM
If we can rearrange our body, we should be able to make some circular orifices of a given and fluctuating radius and stock pockets of air in them, which means that we could produce a pleasant, albeit a little alien, windlike sound.

Science say: "internal bagpipes, mofos."

As per the decoration, carved crude rocks sound appropriate, if you ask me.

Edit: SORRY I FORGOT
+1 FTP, as always. And I'm neutral towards the duration of a turn.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-24, 07:55 AM
Before the next turn comes along, I want to get something through you: turn lenght in in game time. So far its been... irregular to say the beast. So I propose that each normal turn lasts for 1/4 of a year(you choose the staple gather research explore etc... in these but in a longer term scale), and "special" turns in between where the choice is in response of a special event (diplomatic contact, sieges, famines, plagues...). What do you think?

well, on the one hand, we wouldn't have to wait so long for our numbers to increase that way. on the other hand, we'd be less flexible (i'm especially thinking of the way we get our food at the moment) and a lot of projects simply don't take that much time. so maybe just a week or a month per turn?

Koalita
2014-04-24, 08:15 AM
I think if we can fine tune certain parts of our development, I'm all for a month or more time passing per turn, so we can see more developments and take more decisions :D

DeZako
2014-04-24, 10:44 AM
I was thinking of having those turns take 3 months, during which you could "queue" up projects to be done one after another. You could order 4 people to build a house, then a lab and then dig some trenches, all while the hunters keep bringing in food until hunting is no longer needed that much. Meanwhile, some explorers explore up until they feel they are far enough from home, and then return and aid with research.
Coming of age rites would be held every 4 normal turnsso that we don't have to have one every odd turn for just one new adult.
I think flexibility wouldn't be lost because if anything required some input from you it'd take place in between normal turns, in "special" ones, and unless the matter at hand is grave enough, the actions decided at a normal turn would be running in the background.
Of course, your call. I'd be fine with having 6 turns of 2 months, or 12 turns of 1 month. Im just concerned about having to celebrate a new coming of age festival every month, since it gets old pretty fast, whilst a yearly celebration is a whole different matter.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-24, 11:11 AM
then i'm surprised you want longer turns. i mean, the longer the turns are, the fewer there are between two rites.
i'd be fine with making the rite a yearly or, given the slimes' rather short childhood, half-yearly event, though. that would also allow for group projects (think "apartment building").

p.s.: have you already noticed that Darklim has added a vote to his last post?

DeZako
2014-04-24, 01:58 PM
Yep, I did. Only I couldnt pick up the computer and the time and since I have the tribe's stats there...

DeZako
2014-04-24, 04:01 PM
The coming of age rite is nearing and everyone is getting nervous as the date gets closer. However, only a handful of the civilians are ordered to prepare for the feast. decoration of the huts ensues, and you'd swear that, during the midday and the night rest time, a musical sound comes from one hut. It certainly lifts the mood of the tribe, and helps them sleep better.
The lumberjacks keep going at it, but are significantly more productive given the ease of transport of wood that the newly dug channel provides.
After a shift change, the former lake guard accompanies the seed gatherers to a plain field southeast of the camp. They had noticed some stuff about how plants came to life and had an awesome idea: not having to venture to the forest to gather food, but to make said food grow where they wanted. They plow the field with the shovels and the pickaxe, and plant the seeds. Now, it's time to wait, or so they say.
The builders finish the channel going south, and resume working on the cave. Work seems to be going smoothly, but they have some labor in front of them.

Meanwhile, the soon to be adult is hard at work with his little project, and seems appropiatedly exhausted. The elders see this with approval.

Soon, the day comes. Everybody starts chanting some old forgotten song that came not from their memories but from their hearts, accompanied by the sounds of a bagpiper, whom, by the way, is it's own instrument.The music soothes the atmosphere, and at nightfall, torches are lit and a big bonfire is set up at the center of the camp. The elders receive the child, and tell of how this tribe's core was the ingenuity of it's members. Once this tale is complete, they turn towards the child.
"You are a child. You want to be an adult. But what makes a slime, I say? We descend from a great lineage of builders, and our culture places great importance on this act, too. An adult has to provide its offspring with food, and more importantly, a roof. Do you think yourself able to do it?"
"I do, elders"
"And we will say if your thoughts are correct. Show us your pride and your work. Prove yourself an adult, child"
The elders then follow the child to his hut, and are left astonished as they gaze upon the building. It's bigger than a normal hut, and instead of a cone, it has a cilindric set from where a conic roof stands.
"You... are an adult. And you shall be known as Cassidei, the Builder."
The new adult bows and offers the elders some gathered food as a token of respect, which they accept graciously.
"Let the festivities begin!" shouts the leader elder, and soon the camp is celebrating. Food abounds, and for the first time in only the gods know how much time they feel safe and confident in their survival.
One night after, and the good news keep going: Seems the festivities have lightened the mood of the tribe, and this break has given some couples time to... reevaluate priorities. The result: two new cores are being carried around the camp.

What are your orders?
Gather
Hunt
Explore
Research
Build
Other (specify)

--------

Population:20 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 4 children), 3 cores.
Stocks:6 felled trees, rusty coins
Food: Decent stock. Might last you another week. Variety: lacking.
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, trenches derived from the lake. Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater. Channels derived from the channel network at the camp to the south.
Story so far:
The tribe has awakened in a grassland. Seeing no food in the vicinities, they have ventured forth into the forest to the north, and have found a small lake beneath a waterfall where they have set up camp. They have been contacted by a tribe of avians that far outnumber them.

Darklim
2014-04-25, 12:41 AM
Next, since we only have food for a week or so, I suggest hunting a little in the Forest of the South. We don't know when the fields will grow.

That being said, Cassidei's transition to adulthood almost made me squeal.

DeZako
2014-04-25, 02:39 AM
Glad you liked it! I wasnt entirely convinced about how it had come out, but if you like it I'm satisfied.

Also updating the tribe info. We now have one more adult!

Also, remember that beast you encountered? I think I didnt get the words right when I was describing its size. Imagine walking beneath the lets say... Eiffel Tower. Thats the size I was talking about. Thought you werent properly scared before xD

Koalita
2014-04-25, 02:52 AM
Wow, nice work!
At first I thought about something that big, and the first thing was... dino riding! :D But not sure we could do much till we solve our food issue. Assuming food is ok, I think we should get some more focus on our research, maybe we can develop some magic soon. No way I'd get near that thing before having proper tech/magic to get away at least, and I don't think it's safe to get his attention...

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-25, 07:17 AM
nice story, but the new hut is missing from the list of buildings, i think.

about the giant beast, can it sneak or fly? or why did we hear only a small number of thumps at the camp?

as for what to do next:
hunting's definitely a good idea. especially since we'll need leather for protection before we start melting ore.
i think we should also fish some more since the fish was insinuated to be a seasonal food source and might be unavailbale in the future.
the field could also need some channels for irrigation and making the field workers happy later on.
maybe we could also plant the herbs now.
researching water magic (or maybe pottery) would be nice, but i'm not sure if we should start now or after we've gathered food and have more slimepower available.

Koalita
2014-04-25, 11:17 AM
We should take care about the fishing btw, whenver we do, try to avoid interrupting fish life cycle, to make sure we'll enjoy the fish in generations to come...

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-25, 12:42 PM
sure, that was the thought behind the fish counting project.
this was the result:

Said warrior is also tasked with keeping an eye on your primary source of nourishment: fish. He estimates that the lake has enough fish for a while, but feels that the tribe should have a secondary food source, since fish may be seasonal.

we haven't fished since then and i assume we won't need to do it again for a while after the next haul.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-25, 05:56 PM
since it doesn't look like there will be further input, here's the new FTP:
- the 1 warrior that has been working on the cavern relieves the current lake guard. he'll keep an "eye" on the holes and another one (is there a limit to how many "spots to see with" they can have?) on the fish, trying to learn more about them.
- the other people that have been working on the cavern and the relieved lake guard (2 civilians and 1 warrior in total) take 2 stone shovels and 1 stone pickaxe and dig a trench for irrigation/drainage (feeded by a small channel from the river) around the field.
- the 2 civilians and 2 warriors that have set up the field take 4 spears and head to the forest in the south in order to find some (moderate-sized) animals to hunt. if the potential prey appears to be too fast to pursuit on land, they'll head for the river to the east and use crocodile tactics, i.e. they'll wait underwater and ambush the prey when it comes to drink
- the new adult takes a stone shovel and the gathered herbs and tries to set up a little herb garden at the southeastern edge of the camp.
- the 3 civilians that have been cutting wood take 2 stone pickaxes and 1 stone shovel and go back to working on the cavern. once it's big enough to "stand" and "lie down" in, they start a tunnel to the northeast. they're always on the lookout for soil resources, of course.
- the 3 civilians and 1 warrior that have prepared the festivity have been on dry land for far too long and get to catch fish and smoke it now. finally being able to take a swim again, they agree that it would be really nice to take large quantities of water with you when on land. some begin to think of ways to carry water around, some dream of making the water follow them of its own accord.
- the children (as far as they are able) try to help with the herb garden.

Darklim
2014-04-26, 12:46 AM
Needless to say, +1 FTP.

Koalita
2014-04-26, 02:53 AM
Yeah, +1 FTP, gj tuning it! :)

DeZako
2014-04-27, 03:32 PM
[Ok, first of all, I must apologise for not writing something up earlier but these past two days have been hectic, save for yesterday, when a truly headsplitting hangover impeded my typing. That said, on to the story. ]

The festival already in the past, life in the tribe returns to normality. As soon as everyone is up and running, you issue your orders.
One of the warriors is sent to relieve another on lake duty. This position is starting to be seen as a relief shift, a break from the running here and there that characterises the rest of the duties issued to the tribe.
The farm seems to go well, and some plants are springing up here and there. But many don't grow up, and you determine that the cause is the lack of water. You order three slimes to dig a small channel from the river to irrigate the zone. You hope that this'll help.
Also, and in response to the recent complaints about the lack of variety in the nourishment of the tribe, you send off 4 slimes to hunt. They are way too slow for pursuit on land, but they come up with another solution: to disguise themselves as puddles of water, and trap their unsuspecting prey when it passes by their side, slowing them down for the rest of the hunters to spear it down. You feel this alone won't solve the lack of variety, so the new adult is ordered to make a small herb garden. He finds some herbs and spices, and starts to plant them. It'll be some time until the herbs grow.
The cavern project is almost completed, and you order them to, once they have finished the main cavern, dig a tunnel to the northeast.
Whilst variety is a concern, quantity is very important, and you destine some slimes to fishing and smoking the fish. You don't want the tribe to starve, do you?

The irrigation channel is soon finished, and some more plants start to poke through the soil. The hunters are highly succesful, and bring back 3 deers and a couple of rabbits. You skin them and chop their flesh down to more manageable bits. The skin of the deers is soft, but it'll rot soon unless you treat it. Fish abounds, too, and you soon are well fed. The tribe still needs some vegetables.

Also, you now have a new member of the tribe! The first core has split from it's carrier, and is being tended to. It'll be running around the camp in a couple of days.
One night, the unofficial leader of the warriors approaches you with a request. Since the tribe set upcamp, they have been running around doing everything except training. It assures you that the training he requests won't interfere with the duties you issue, but will cost some materials.
------------------

Population:20 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 5 children), 2 cores
Stocks: 5 felled trees, rusty coins, 3 deer skins, 2 rabbit hides.
Food: Plenty. Still, variety is somewhat lacking.
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, 1 decent hut, trenches derived from the lake. Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater. Channels derived from the channel network at the camp to the south. Farm with channels derived from the river.
Tech: crude weapons and tools, smoking food, farming (basic).
-------------------
Social/fluff decision:
-Organisation, hierarchy.
-What are you (the players) within the game world? The Elder's council, some voices that are listened by a leader, or some spirits that embed suggestions in the slime's mind?
-------------------
-You heard only a few thuds because considering the leg span of the beast, it only needs a handful of steps to enter and exit the zone it can be heard in.

Also, regarding the part of the FTP of Fion regarding the control and transportation of water, I'd like if you left what the slimes think and ponder to me, since this is more like Dwarf Fortress in spirit: You order, and they get things done, but you don't control them directly. This way, I think, I can work in some uncertainty, and this'll help you as much as it'll set you back. A task might be delayed because a slime doesn't want to work on that, only to destine his efforts to a tangential branch of research. That kind of thing.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-28, 08:27 AM
ah, i thought i'd have to give a decent explanation for why they would even think of researching magic and pottery to make everything plausible.

on to the comments and questions:
1. i think we only have 5 children at this point, not 6.
2. have the rabbit skins been ruined or why aren't they listed in the stock?
3. we have gathered a lot of food last turn, but our food situation is still the same. is that intentional?
4. not that i'm complaining, but have we really not used up any wood for smoking and shoring up the cavern?
5. did the lake guard learn anything new about the fish?
6. what materials would the warrior training cost?
7. what are the (dis)advantages of a warrior compared to a civilian (apart from greater fighting power, i mean)?
8. where have we been putting the excavated earth from the cavern? (i hope somewhere on the shore.)

as for what to do next, i'm thinking of working on the cavern/tunnel, tanning, smoking the meat and researching (and guarding, of course^^).
your thoughts?

DeZako
2014-04-28, 09:19 AM
ah, i thought i'd have to give a decent explanation for why they would even think of researching magic and pottery to make everything plausible.

on to the comments and questions:
1. i think we only have 5 children at this point, not 6.
2. have the rabbit skins been ruined or why aren't they listed in the stock?
3. we have gathered a lot of food last turn, but our food situation is still the same. is that intentional?
4. not that i'm complaining, but have we really not used up any wood for smoking and shoring up the cavern?
5. did the lake guard learn anything new about the fish?
6. what materials would the warrior training cost?
7. what are the (dis)advantages of a warrior compared to a civilian (apart from greater fighting power, i mean)?
8. where have we been putting the excavated earth from the cavern? (i hope somewhere on the shore.)

as for what to do next, i'm thinking of working on the cavern/tunnel, tanning, smoking the meat and researching (and guarding, of course^^).
your thoughts?

Ok, 1 to 4 were errors on my side: I was tired and forgot to update thoroughly the document.
5-Not really, 'cept that they are pretty. Also he has taken one as a pet. it keeps the fish within it's body at all times, and the new pet doesn't mind that much, though it wonders why it is suddenly harder to swim around. The warrior has named it Fishy.
6-Some wood and new spears. Not too costy, but these are primitive warriors. A medieval warrior would ask for much more.
7-Pros:
-Greater fighting power
-Imposing
-Better at physical tasks that don't require expertise in something, i.e: hauling, mining etc.
-Better at tracking and killing than any civilian that isn't trained as a hunter
-More tactical mind (these are warriors, people devoted to war, not some mindless soldier that follows orders blindly.)
Cons:
-More resource costy (armor, weapons, they require more luxurious goods)
-Prideful (May take offense easier and start a ruckus or a revolution much more easily than a civ. Thus, don't work against them, and if you must take some action that hurts their interests, make sure it's well reasoned)
8-Its actually rock. The slimes have been dumping it in theentrance tunnel, since it goes upwards from the entrance in the lake, and that ensures the rocks roll to the bottom of the lake, where they are piling up. They are retrievable with some effort.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-28, 10:50 AM
no wonder digging the cave has taken so long, then. thanks for the answers (and for Fishy^^).

Koalita
2014-04-28, 12:23 PM
So we have 21 +2 cores now, looks like we are breeding guys! :D

I'm getting a bit lost tracking all the things our people are doing, have to reread it a couple of times, hard to do it at work, but I think our FTP looks solid. I'd try to emphasize on the research part, as I think it will be key to our development. That and breeding, but no smutty, right? :P

DeZako
2014-04-28, 03:31 PM
Remember, no slime smut on my watch!

Of course, if you feel you are being overwhelmed by having to track every slime down, you can always put some to work on something for infinity (say, farming, fishing, researching etc.) and then just fine tune the plan with the rest. (With research, that'd allow you to skip having to repeat the "And those two guys keep researching and all that", only having to chime in if previous research is complete or you want for some reason to change the subject of study at any point)

Also, this is how I envision slimes. Pretty humanlike, although I couldn't get the bubbles within right so I just skipped them. The "hair" is just an extension of the body.
http://i.imgur.com/uxvErWd.jpg
Yes, I know one is female and one male, but for slimes it's just an aesthetic matter. They choose their shape, and they might want to change it at any time, which would make recognition hard if it wasnt for the fact that slimes are super sensitive to colors, recognising many different tones than humans, and that no two slimes have exactly the same color.

On other news, Im open to requests about things you want to see, since I sometimes cant convey the appearance of something through words.

edit: and glad you liked Fishy :D

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-28, 03:47 PM
here's today's FTP:
- of the people that have been hunting, 1 warrior relieves the current lake guard and takes over hole and fish watching duty. the others and the relieved lake guard (2 civilians and 2 warriors in total) smoke the deer and rabbit meat and treat the skins. they also try to come up with uses for the other parts of the animals (i'm mainly thinking of sinews and bones).
- the gardener, using 1 stone shovel, tends to his garden and the field and tries to think of ways to get a better harvest.
- the 3 civilians that have been fishing and one of the civilians that have been working on the cavern (4 civilians in total) try to research water magic.
- the remaining 4 civilians and 2 warriors take 4 stone pickaxes and 2 stone shovels, finish the last bit of the cavern and then start the tunnel to the northeast. they're always on the lookout for soil resources, of course.
- the children (as far as they are able) try to help the gardener and the tanners.

- the warriors are granted the resources for their training on the side.

edit:

edit: and glad you liked Fishy :D

yeah, although i'm still a little hazy on how it manages to survive in lightly acidic oil. or did the warrior enclose some water to form a small aquarium inside its body? how about drawing that for a start?^^

DeZako
2014-04-28, 04:25 PM
I was actually thinking the slimes could concentrate the acid as they saw fit, manipulating where it was at all times, even expelling it from their bodies altogether. That way, they could concentrate it all on their hand, and have an ultra effective acid touch, or, in this case, put it in a little hole in the ground for the times it's needed. Acid is secreted at will from the core, so actually throwing away their acid isn't that big of a deal.

Targ Collective
2014-04-28, 04:45 PM
Fishy...

You've been reading Discworld, haven't you? Looks like you've been inspired by Tethys the Sea Troll.

DeZako
2014-04-28, 05:48 PM
I have read Discworld from start to finish, but I dont recall that specific part. Having read it all in spanish doesn't help my memory either...

Targ Collective
2014-04-29, 12:29 AM
His only appearance is in the Great Original, the Colour of Magic. He detains Rincewind once he nearly falls over the Edge. He subsequently gets carried on a disc to Krull (the disc is manned by hydrophobes, people who hate water so much that they repel it) and gets carried in a big metal fish on a suicide mission to determine the gender of Great A'tuin...

DeZako
2014-04-29, 02:06 AM
Hooo boy now I remember.

Koalita
2014-04-29, 09:53 AM
Sounds like another +1 to the FTP. I was wondering though, what about trying to get some slimes to specialize? Like, try to find who enjoys *whatever* the most and try to make him specialize on those areas, creating researchers, farmers, etc... besides warriors and civilians, or are civvies covering all non-combat related tasks?

DeZako
2014-04-29, 01:15 PM
Having people specialize in certain tasks certainly makes things go smoother in that respect, but makes them less flexible. You decide if that's a good thing or not. I think it would help with the micromanagement: instead of saying "the crafters, one explorer and one farmer start digging", you'd say "the builders start digging".

Fion MacCumhail
2014-04-29, 02:52 PM
i'd prefer to wait with specialization until we have a bigger population. for now, we could let the gardener keep its job, though, i guess.
the switching around of people, which makes everything a little confusing, is in parts due to changed priorities, to the wish to keep individuals from performing unpleasant tasks for too long (to prevent low morale) and, in the most recent plan, to the new information that warriors are better at physical tasks.

edit: if we can assume (at least for now) that everyone gets cycled through different tasks automatically, i can go back to just setting a number of civilians and warriors per task if you like.

DeZako
2014-05-01, 04:39 AM
Just one more vote for the FTP and we're GO

Darklim
2014-05-01, 03:27 PM
I'm not supposed to be here, but I'd hate to see this slow down (don't comment on the irony of me saying that after pausing mine for a week), so +1 FTP. Go go Slime rangers.

Also, how does the lake's guard feels about eating fishes while keeping Fishy as a pet?

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-01, 03:44 PM
fishes can be very understanding in that respect. (comic.skullkickers.com/index.php?id=350) :smallwink:

DeZako
2014-05-01, 09:41 PM
I just read the latest vote and since its 4:30 around here, writing's gonna have to wait that said, Fion, if you order that people are constantly being relieved of their duties, it shall be done. Also think that not only does doing a job you dont like affect morale. Imagine the owner of Fishy loves lake duty. He'd hate not having to do it. Also, morale decrease is severely cut when dealing with tasks that must be done or that represent a direct benefit to them: working on a farm needed for feeding the tribe as a whole, no matter how much they like it, is going to leave the workers in a much better mood than slaving away at a farm that produces goods to be sold to foreign countries.

DeZako
2014-05-02, 01:10 PM
The tribe, encouraged by the recent advancements, has taken to trying to find out other uses for many things.
The bones of the deers have been shaped in many ways. Awls, spear points, needles... Your weapons are now pontier than ever, and a test stab a a hide has proven that they are quite penetrating. This, combined with the use of sinew, has led your tribe to make the first few clothes out of hides, previously converted to leather. However, the general populace still doesn't have access to clothing, and are starting to ask the hunters to go hunting for hides in their free time. The hunters have turned your heads towards you, asking for permission.
The gardener is keeping an eye on the herb garden, but the crops are still growing, and as such, little information has been gathered.
A little "event" shocked the tribe. For a while, Cassidei has been going on long "walks", saying he preferred to have some time for himself. A child, barely a year younger than him, decide to follow him sneakily one day. Soon after, the child runs into the circle that always forms around the central fire after dinner, saying that Cassidei was doing things with the water. Incredulous, you question the new adult, that admits with some embarrasment that he could indeed move water without touching it. However, he doesn't know how, why, or up to what point he can do it. In a display of tolerance and progresism, you order three of the more clever slimes to help him determine the extent of his powers. They can be seen by the lake pondering whilst Cassidei plays with small blobs of water.
On a completely unrelated note, the cavern is, finally, finished. You order the builders to dig a tunnel to the northeast, and they start making progress slowly but surely. Its going to take some time for them to get anywhere. They are curious about how far you want them to dig, though.

The farm is going well, and some more plants are cropping up, but none harvestable yet.
The warriors are content with their newly built training field. Which is little more than a field with some sticks they can beat the crap out of with yet another stick.

-------------------

Population:21 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 5 children), 2 cores
Items: 10 crude spears with stone heads, 4 stone pickaxes, 4 stone shovels, 4 stone axes, 2 hammers, several bone spearpoints, awls and needles. Stone knives are commonplace.
Stocks:6 felled trees, rusty coins. 3 leather capes
Food: Decent stock, but variety is still lacking.
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, 1 decent hut, trenches derived from the lake. Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater. Channels derived from the channel network at the camp to the south. Farm with channels derived from the river. Small herb garden.
Tech: crude weapons and tools, smoking food, farming (basic), clothing(crude), tanning.
Named characters: Cassidei “the Builder”, architect extraordinaire, magician apprentice(2 years)
-------------------
Ok, this was a bit rushed since Im in the middle of the finals, so feel free to point if I forgot to put something somwehere, or if there are questions to be answered.
Ive also decided to include the "named characters" section for noteworthy figures.
The choice I proposed in the last story post still stands: What are you, the players, within the game universe? Councilors? Leaders? Gods? Voices?

edit: updated the stocks, and tech.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-02, 04:09 PM
i think you forgot to update the stocks and possibly also to mention the warrior training and the gardener taking care of the field as well (i don't know if those last two points were noteworthy enough).

as for the choice, i'm not quite sure. "voices in their heads" sounds best on first thought, but on second thought, that's probably the first thing rational beings would question...
sooo, maybe the council?

Darklim
2014-05-02, 04:19 PM
... DeZako, are you French, by chance?

Also, I'd like to go full Sid meier's Civilization: we're immanent, disembodied civilization stuff that guides conscious beings towards greatness. An omnipresent drive that just needed hosts, in other words.

But if you want to stay on the classical side, we're the government. Which, for now, must means elders, I guess.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-02, 04:55 PM
... DeZako, are you French, by chance?

that was also my first thought when he used "glucides" for "carbohydrates", but a couple of posts ago he said he'd read the Discworld novels in spanish.

anyway, if we don't risk getting ignored that way, i'm quite fine with the "disembodied whatever" alternative.

Koalita
2014-05-02, 05:48 PM
We have a population of 21, btw

DeZako
2014-05-03, 07:14 AM
Oh goddamit, I almost nailed it for once :P editing the story post now...

And yes, I'm spanish. But arent glucids (typo on my end there) and carbohydrates different stuff? I don't know **** about chemistry, though, so...

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-03, 07:35 AM
maybe there is a difference in spanish, but neither "glucide(s)" nor "glucid(s)" is an english word.

anyway, i'm still waiting for updated stocks/items.

Koalita
2014-05-03, 08:14 AM
There's some controversy about the naming, as an hydrate is something that contains water or its components, or that contains water. The former would mean a carbohydrate is what it is, carbon + water elements, and the later would mean a carbohydrate is not the proper naming, as they do not contain water nor are formed with water. The elements are the same, but the way they come together is usually important in chemistry, historically the carbohydrates were named this way because they thought glucose chemical formula was C6(H2O)6, implying water (H2O), but that has been proven wrong, hence the nowadays formula is C6H12O6. I remember a professor joking about mixing diamonds (C) with water (H2O) to form sugar (glucose).

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-03, 02:51 PM
since the situation hasn't changed that much, the new FTP isn't that different from the last:
- from now on, let's assume that the warriors take turns watching the holes and fish (it's indeed a relief shift) and that everyone is cycled out of tasks that are unpleasant (to them) occasionally.

- 1 warrior watches the holes in the lake and tries to learn things about fish.
- 2 civilians and 2 warriors with 4 spears go hunting in the forest to the south and process the animals they catch, i.e. smoke their meat and turn the rest into clothes and other things of use. if they want to go hunting in their free time as well, they're of course allowed to do so.
- 1 civilian with 1 stone shovel tends to the herb garden and the field. if it has time to spare, it goes searching for further edible plants/plant parts in the south.
- 4 civilians research water magic
- 4 civilians and 2 warriors with 4 stone pickaxes and 2 stone shovels work on the tunnel to the northeast and are always on the lookout for soil resources, of course. for now, they should keep going until they find something interesting or reach the northeastern edge of the hex north of the lake. (btw, it would be nice if you could mark the cavern entrance on the map somehow.) in case they're wondering why they're doing this, it's both a search for resources and the basis for building safer homes undergound.
- the children (as far as they are able) try to help the gardener and the tanners and watch the research from a safe distance.

Koalita
2014-05-03, 02:58 PM
Needless to say, +1FTP

I would like to add some cooking research to add variety to our meals, like mixing the few ingredients we have. Try to use animal grease to cook the meat, make a cauldron, whatever.

Darklim
2014-05-03, 04:31 PM
+1 FTP

I'd like us to move in the caverns, though. I feel kinda naked knowing that there's a huge stomping beast out there. Granted, maybe even the cavern wouldn't be that much of a protection, but hey, better than nothing.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-03, 05:03 PM
i don't think that's possible at the moment. the cavern isn't that big yet, ventilation is probably not so good and getting dry stuff (that should remain dry) there might prove troublesome at this point.
anyway, as long as we notice the leg coming down early enough to move into the lake (or simply out of the way, of course), we should be fine - assuming the lake floor is soft enough for the cores not to crack. if the legs are thin enough, even a slime that gets trodden on might have the reflexes to move its core out of harm's way. (sooo, how thick were the legs?)

Needless to say, +1FTP

I would like to add some cooking research to add variety to our meals, like mixing the few ingredients we have. Try to use animal grease to cook the meat, make a cauldron, whatever.

we don't have the material for a cauldron, but i do recall some TV show where they proved that it's possible to boil water in a leather bag. so i guess we can try that once everyone's clothed.

Koalita
2014-05-03, 06:02 PM
About moving into the cave, what do the slimes think about the cave? Do they think it's a better place to inhabit, or they'd rather have the sunshine everyday?

We should get more tools, if we can't prepare proper meals then where is the sense of living? :D
And I think having a variety of food may prove valuable when diplomacy arises.

DeZako
2014-05-05, 02:12 AM
Guys, I'm sorry but things are going to slown down a bit until the 16-20th of this month. After that its going to be much faster, I promise. Until then, I'll update whenever I can.

Expect a story post later today, though.

Koalita
2014-05-05, 02:24 PM
No worries, take care :)

DeZako
2014-05-06, 04:00 PM
Surprise story post. This time, I do have time to proof read it so I hope it will be less full of mistakes.

The lake guard, relaxed as is common in this position, takes to observing the fish. It soon witnesses fish reproduction, and is quite eager to share it with the rest of the tribe. The owner of Fishy shoots him a look, before realising that the poor fish is lacking a partner to do those... things. He isn't even sure about why the thought makes him uncomfortable, but...
The hunters keep bringing food and pelts, and a majority of the population starts to wear clothing. Exceptions are made by those that feel their surfaces should be left at the gentle care of the wind. Food stocks are full, and you are starting to have problems with storage. Other uses of leather start to appear, from being used as a bed to decorations, and the slimes are getting progressively better at sewing and tailoring. The two warriors start to hunt in their free time, bringing extra pelts and delivering info on the southernmost parts of the forest, which they follow up until the trees end, giving way to the plains you woke up in. All is fine and dandy until one day one of them comes back early, worried about an encounter it had in the forest. It tells of a biped being, almost bereft of thick fur, covered in leather clothing a bit more fancy than the warrior's. A tense standoff ensued, from which they both walked away, pointing their spears at each other. More worries for the Council.
Cassidei starts to control his... powers a bit better, being now able to manipulate the shape of the water in a very basic way, and altering it's temperature slightly. He assures the Council that from here on, he can research on his own... with the help of one assistant, it says, pointing at a child.
The diggers keep digging, and the tunnel is nearing the stimated lenght the Council ordered. The diggers bring out a very heavy kind of rock, that gleams with a reddish hue as the light of the torches reflects on it, and wonder if it has any use.

The crops are finally growing steadily, and soon you will have your first harvest! You might want to look into your storage problem soon... The garden has finally given some fruits, but due to the ignorance of the gardener and the tribe in general about the effects of those herbs, you had to deal with a tripping slime and a slight case of poisoning. The plants responislbe were rooted out, and the gardener was tasked with getting rid of them. Though you'd swear that it kept the hallucinogenic one, it denies it. Oh well, at least now he's REALLY into his job.

Also, one of the cores have split, bringing the number of slimes born in the new settlement to 2! The newborn is being cared for for the moment.

What now?
---------------

Population:22 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 6 children), 1 cores
Items: 10 crude spears with stone heads, 4 stone pickaxes, 4 stone shovels, 4 stone axes, 2 hammers, several bone spearpoints, awls and needles. Stone knives are commonplace.
Stocks:6 felled trees, rusty coins, plenty of skin.
Food: Stocks are full, and you don’t have room for almost any other thing.
Buildings: 10 crude wooden huts, 1 decent hut.
Trenches derived from the lake.
Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater.
-Tunnel to the NE
Channels derived from the channel network at the camp to the south.
Farm with channels derived from the river.
Small herb garden.
Diplomacy: Eitilt(Avians, neutral, wary), Leadránach (Humans, neutral, wary)
Tech: crude weapons and tools, smoking food, farming (basic), tailoring and leather processing..
Named characters:
Cassidei “the Builder”, architect extraordinaire(2 years), magic user.
-Water control and manipulation(basic)
--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/kt92Q0W.png
--------------------
So yeah, that's it. I'm gonna need the name for humans. Fion?
Also there hasnt been a decision respecting your position within the universe. Voice from above?
--------------------
Question time. I answer this after reading them from the topic review, so it's last in, first out.
-The slimes like the cave, but feel than it currently is not usable as housing. Some ventilation would be great.
-The beast's legs are huge. Think 15-20 meters of diameter.
-The rock is copper. I don't think I''ve managed to make it obvious due to my incompetence in the field of geology.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-07, 09:33 AM
oookay, here come the comments and questions:
1. what coulour is the heavy rock? (if it's yellow, we'll probably have to hide it from the humans.)
2. how do our crops fare? and did the gardener find any new edible plants?
3. if the hunters went straight south and found some plains, shouldn't there be at least one corresponding new hex on the map? or did they head southwest (not intended)?
4. we should have 22 slimes now, not 21.
5. our bone tools seem to have disappeared from the item list while, despite some smoking, our stock of wood is still the same.
(6. actually, the tunnel was supposed to go one hex further, but since we've found something, anyway, it doesn't really matter.)

i suggest "Leadránach" ("boring") as name for the humans.
as for what we, the players, are, i vote for voices in their minds, provided we don't eventually get ignored that way.

now, what to do next...
with our stocks full of food, building a pantry or granary might be a good idea. we could even combine this with researching masonry (we should have enough raw material for that from our digging).
apart from that, research is always useful, but what to start with? the heavy rock? pottery? something else?
oh, and with humans around, we may also need more/better weapons, of course.

DeZako
2014-05-07, 12:05 PM
Oh goddamit. Agh. I'll edit the post later today. Thanks for pointing out the errors, Fion.

However, 6 and 5(partially) are not mistakes.
Smoking doesnt take from the wood stocks since the wood used is picked from the nearby forest as needed, given it's a negligible quantity.
And the tunnel is not yet finished, remember.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-07, 12:57 PM
yeah, but you said it was nearing the estimated length although the map shows it to be not even half-finished.
then again, the order was to keep going until they reached the northeastern edge of the hex north of the lake or until they found something interesting. so you could also say that the tunnel has already been finished.

edit: ooh, copper. now to find some tin...
and i guess the herb trip prevented the gardener from looking for new plants.

Darklim
2014-05-10, 02:49 AM
Research: shiny stone. Do everything we can with it: cook it, put it in the water, put it in boiling water, smash it with a hammer, try to cut it, rub them against one another, put them in our body, everything. Let's find their properties.

Koalita
2014-05-10, 03:35 PM
sounds good to meh!

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-10, 04:35 PM
ok, then here's the FTP:
- 2 civilians with 2 stone pickaxes punch multiple holes into the cavern wall behind the waterfall. the holes should be far enough from each other so as not to compromise the wall's structural integrity and each of them should have a diameter slightly larger than a core's.
- 1 civilian with 1 stone shovel tends to the herb garden and the field. if it has time to spare, it goes searching for further edible plants/plant parts in the south.
- 1 civilian researches water magic. Cassidei is granted an assistant on the condition that he takes good care of the child.
- 1 civilian makes spears with bone heads and - once there are enough for everyone - some stone hammers.
- 2 civilians and 3 warriors with 1 stone hammer, 2 stone shovels and 2 stone pickaxes recover some of the rocks excavated from the cavern and try to build a little granary (preferably a little above the ground). they research (dry) masonry while they're at it.
- 4 civilians and 1 warrior with 1 stone hammer analyze the heavy rock. what are its properties? what is it good for? and how can it be processed?
- apart from Cassidei's assistant, the children (as far as they are able) try to help the gardener and the builders (they can gather smaller stones for filling gaps).

Koalita
2014-05-12, 03:02 AM
Sounds like a FTP :)
+1

Eternis
2014-05-12, 06:05 AM
Yet Another +1

Darklim
2014-05-12, 11:42 AM
+1 to ye old majicke FTP.

Also, how comes we're watching animals go at it in two of the three civ threads at the same freaking time. Do you people synchronize realities or something.

DeZako
2014-05-12, 04:11 PM
Also, how comes we're watching animals go at it in two of the three civ threads at the same freaking time. Do you people synchronize realities or something.

Wait what, there's another one? Contributing right away!

Also guys, sorry but no story post today. Nor tomorrow. After that, one story post for sure. Meanwhile, I'd suggest discussing cultural stuff if you want to, like tribe hierarchy, religion and the like.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-14, 09:57 AM
on that note, are we agreed that we, the players, are, as Darklim put it, "immanent, disembodied civilization stuff that guides conscious beings towards greatness. An omnipresent drive that just needed hosts, in other words."?

DeZako
2014-05-16, 09:03 AM
The tribe's camp is bustling with activity. The crafters are busy creating spears, the builders are puzzling over how to go about creating a building with the rock extracted from the cave in which to store the food, and the miners are creating some ventilation shafts for the cave.

Cassidei is trying to teach the child some magic, but the results are minimal at the moment. His research continues by the side, and is progressing slowly, what with him not having a clue where this power comes from.

The gardener takes to finding new herbs, but this time he proceeds much more carefully, feeding the herbs to some animals before lugging them back to the herb garden. Variety increases somewhat, and the tribe rejoices with this.

Some researchers start to figure out the properties of the big reddish rock the miners had extracted. It is highly malleable, and the researchers can shape it quite well with a hammer. Applying a fire to it also seems to make it even more flexible for a time, after which it goes back to its previous state, but retaining its shape. It will take them some time to fully figure out it's properties, though.

All seems to be going fine and dandy until one day, one of the humans come out of the forest and yells something before running back into the woods. You all are left puzzled over what this means.

What will the tribe do?

------------

Population:22 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 6 children), 1 cores
Items: 10 crude spears with stone heads, 3 spears with bone heads, 4 stone pickaxes, 4 stone shovels, 4 stone axes, 2 hammers. Stone knives are commonplace, as are awls and bone spearheads..
Food: Stocks are full, and spices have helped make eating a pleasure rather than a chore. People are starting to experiment with sauces and spice mixes.
1 stone granary (WIP)
-Tunnel to the NE
-Ventilation shafts (WIP)
Small herb garden.
Diplomacy: Eitilt(Avians, neutral, wary),Leadránach(Humans, neutral, wary)
Tech: crude weapons and tools, smoking food, farming (basic), tailoring and leather processing..
Named characters:
-Apprentice.

-------------------
Behold how copper works in this universe, due to the influence of the mystic element named handwavium. Nobody said this had to be realistic...

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-16, 10:12 AM
1. we should still have a population of 22 and you left out the bone awls and needles (and possibly spearheads).
2. when you say that the slimes have figured out that copper is highly (con)ductible, you're talking of thermal conductivity, right? (otherwise, i'd be kind of curious how they got their "hands" on electricity.)

now, with none of last turn's projects finished, i guess we can just continue the same unless we want to do something about the humans now (and someone has a good idea what).

DeZako
2014-05-16, 10:42 AM
Aw goddammit. I swear one of these days I'll nail it. Soon...
Anyway, 1 is corrected, and in 2 I actually meant malleable. Got my terminology mixed up there.

DeZako
2014-05-20, 04:04 PM
So, yeah, this is a bump. Does anyone have any questions?

Koalita
2014-05-21, 07:45 AM
I'll be honest, I was waiting for a FTP to show and read, I'll check after work and give some input then.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-21, 08:33 AM
I'll be honest, I was waiting for a FTP to show and read.

and i was waiting for everyone to say whether they wanted to do something about the humans or not.

Koalita
2014-05-21, 03:08 PM
About humans: I think it is worth it to check if we have the resources to send a exploring party, just to make sure they are not trying to ambush attack us. Not sure if they should try to establish contact, avoid it entirely, or just play it conservatively.
We should check what we do have to bargain with, and probably equip them with those tools, in case they need to use them to make a deal or just to show off, or whatever. And check if the caves can be used in case they are aggressive.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-21, 03:35 PM
And check if the caves can be used in case they are aggressive.

we can definitely retreat to the cave if that's what you mean, but that would mean abandoning most of our stuff.
as for what we have to bargain with, well, mostly animal skins and smoked fish and meat.

Darklim
2014-05-22, 03:05 AM
If glorified chess video games and cheesy war B-movies taught me one thing, it's that information is valuable. I say we send a spy to the human's camp. We need to know more about them before we can act.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-22, 07:41 AM
so one or two spies this turn and, depending on what they find, maybe a diplomatic mission the turn after?

Darklim
2014-05-23, 03:44 AM
That would be what I suggest, yes.

Koalita
2014-05-23, 05:42 AM
We have smoked food, which also means it's technology. So we know about fire, smoke and salt, that is not a lot, but depending on how advanced those humans are, they may be interested.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-23, 06:58 AM
hmkay, here's the new FTP:
- 2 civilians with 2 stone pickaxes continue to punch multiple holes into the cavern wall behind the waterfall. the holes should be far enough from each other so as not to compromise the wall's structural integrity and each of them should have a diameter slightly larger than a core's.
- Cassidei and his apprentice research water magic.
- 1 civilian continues to make spears with bone heads and - once there are enough for everyone - some stone hammers.
- 3 civilians and 1 warrior with 1 stone hammer, 1 stone shovel and 2 stone pickaxes continue to recover some of the rocks excavated from the cavern and try to build a little granary (preferably a little above the ground). they research (dry) masonry while they're at it.
- 3 civilians and 1 warrior with 1 stone hammer continue to analyze the heavy rock. what are its properties? what is it good for? and how can it be processed?
- 2 warriors sneak southward and try to find out as much as possible about the humans without being found out themselves.
- apart from Cassidei's assistant, the children (as far as they are able) try to help the gardener and the builders (they can gather smaller stones for filling gaps).

Darklim
2014-05-25, 02:55 AM
+1 for the FTP.

DeZako
2014-05-27, 08:45 AM
Bumping for great justice, and hopefully some new players.

Koalita
2014-05-27, 10:34 AM
Oh god, I thought I already voted +1 FTP, I had some inputs back then, but can't remember right now :(

DeZako
2014-05-29, 01:54 PM
Building work continues smoothly, but the builders of the granary run into a little problem: Stone just doesn't rest in a place. Thus, they came up with a solution: mixing dirt and hay, they apply the mix between rocks, and after some time, it dries and holds the masonry in place.
The gardener has made a short trip to the depths of the forest, and carried with him a small basket of spheric red fruits. He shares some with the tribe, and they all loved the flavor, so the gardener decided to grow some at the tribe's garden. Seeds are planted, with the promise of its delicious product lighting the spirits of the tribe.
Cassidei and his apprentice, hand by hand, have managed to create a small creature out of water. It is harmless, and obeys the commands of it's creator, but has an animal-like intelligence, capable of deciding for itself. The creature was quickly introduced to the tribe, that soon overcame it's distrust of the magical being and adopted it. It is common to see him running around the village running errands for Cassidei.
The farm crops are starting to yield the first fruits, quickly replenishing the food that is consumed on a daily basis, meaning the current food storage is always full.
Investigation of the reddish rock continues, and the researchers have managed to break a small piece away, and have molded it into a small disc, rough around the edges and battered. This gives some more ideas for the researchers to explore.
The spies leave for the human settlement, with plans of posing as small remnants of water whilst trying to discover things about your new neighbors
After some intensive work, everyone on the settlement(the adults, that is) carries a new spear with a bone head. This is seen by the infants as a sign of maturity, and some start to brandish spears from small branches, toy spears if you may. Work on stone hammers begins.
Also, three new births have bumped the population up once again! The newborns are being taken care of thoroughly.

One day the peace of the camp is broken when the lake guard starts shouting, alarmed. On the other side of the lake a huge beast is trying to refresh itself, but spots the slimes and growls at them before speeding into the forest to the east. The tribesmen are a bit worried about this new threat, and wonder what to do about it.

----------------

Population:25 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 9 children)
Items: 10 crude spears with stone heads, 16 spears with bone heads, 4 stone pickaxes, 4 stone shovels, 4 stone axes, 2 hammers. Stone knives are commonplace, as are awls and bone spearheads..
Food: Stocks are full, and spices have helped make eating a pleasure rather than a chore. Fruits are making an appearance at the table, providing some much needed heathy alternatives to the meat that has been consumed so far. Grains and vegetables are also there, albeit in small doses.
1 stone granary (WIP)
-Tunnel to the NE
-Ventilation shafts (WIP)
Small herb garden.
Named characters:
-Creation of elementals (crude)
-Apprentice.
---------------------
I think thats all for now! Tell me if I left something out and I'll correct it right away.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-29, 04:44 PM
1. we have only 6 children and 22 slimes in total.
2. the rock we're analysing is reddish, not yellow.
3. how huge was the beast at the east side of the lake? (unless it's REALLY huge, it shouldn't pose much of a problem right now due to the lake and the river between us.)

as for what to do next, i suggest to continue the current projects and to maybe tell Cassidei to direct his research towards (quickly) changing the aggregate state of water and/or turning it into projectiles.

DeZako
2014-05-30, 07:46 AM
Ah well, closer this time!
I forgot to write the part where three new children are born.
edited the story post.
Also the beast is huge, rhino huge.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-30, 08:33 AM
ah, at least not a really problematic size.
but how did the three new children get born without any new cores forming beforehand?

DeZako
2014-05-30, 12:08 PM
I've decided to just notify you when new slimes are born or of an adequate age for the coming of age ceremony (one ceremony per year, though).

Fion MacCumhail
2014-05-30, 01:01 PM
okay, you can probably strike that one core from the population, then, though.

Koalita
2014-06-01, 12:41 PM
I don't think we have a way to deal with a giant rhino, and our explorers are exploring, so I think we should send them to gather info on the rhino once they come back, but till then, just take some watchers to help spot unfriendly foes

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-01, 02:09 PM
I don't think we have a way to deal with a giant rhino,...

shouldn't jumping on it and clogging its mouth and nose with our bodies do the trick?

Targ Collective
2014-06-01, 02:58 PM
Sure. Would *you* want to do that? -.-

We're anthropomorphic slimes, not bioweaponry. Not to imagine the mess if it chokes on someone.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-01, 03:33 PM
Sure. Would *you* want to do that? -.-

not with my fragile human body. but with a slime body and the beast threatening us or our stuff...
anyway, right now it doesn't appear to be much of a threat.

DeZako
2014-06-02, 04:53 AM
Guys, it's not a rhino. Its rhino sized, mainly because I was struggling to find words to describe its size. The vague reports the lake guard has relayed to you indicate it's furry, of a dark reddish hue, and six legged.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-03, 11:49 AM
since it doesn't look like there'll be any further input, here's the new FTP:
- 2 civilians with 2 stone pickaxes continue to punch multiple holes into the cavern wall behind the waterfall. the holes should be far enough from each other so as not to compromise the wall's structural integrity and each of them should have a diameter slightly larger than a core's.
- Cassidei and his apprentice research water magic. they focus on quickly changing the aggregate state of water.
- 1 civilian crafts stone hammers.
- 3 civilians and 1 warrior with 1 stone hammer, 1 stone shovel and 2 stone pickaxes continue to recover some of the rocks excavated from the cavern and try to build a little granary (preferably a little above the ground). they research (dry) masonry while they're at it.
- 3 civilians and 1 warrior with 1 stone hammer continue to analyze the heavy rock. what are its properties? what is it good for? and how can it be processed?
- 2 warriors continue their espionage mission, trying to find out as much as possible about the humans in the south without being found out themselves.

JBPuffin
2014-06-04, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a plan!

Loving this; I'm also looking forward to the coming of our slime overlords, and when this happens, my only question will be "Can I be a slime, too? Y'all are so cool..."

Darklim
2014-06-05, 06:07 PM
+1 FTP, as always.

JBPuffin
2014-06-05, 06:13 PM
I just realized Fion is the Civ strategist; seriously, all of our plans are being written up by one person, and we have no issues with it. What if the next plan involves mass suicide, hmm?!?! And we just blindly agree?!

We need to tighten security, people!

Eternis
2014-06-05, 08:55 PM
ALL HAIL THE GREAT FION (and +1 to their plan)
WHERE HE GOES, WE SHALL FOLLOW.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-06, 06:55 AM
uh, thanks?

What if the next plan involves mass suicide, hmm?!?! And we just blindly agree?!

well, i thought everyone was reading the plans before agreeing...

Koalita
2014-06-06, 10:02 AM
I am reading them just in case there are some mass suicide clause somewhere :P

And +1 because I don't have a better plan.

Mlmiii
2014-06-08, 11:28 PM
+1 to FTP

Also, would it be worth it to make a roster of the tribesfolk? On the one hand, it increases attachment to the individual Sleamhnaigh (and discourages tangled family trees), but on the other hand, it means the FTP has to say "Bob, Timmy, and McPurplebutt (or some such)" instead of "1 warrior and 2 civilians". I was thinking having making a visual chart with a genetics color-mixing system based on the CYMK color model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model)--for example, since we had 20 villagers to start with, and there are four colors, perhaps all the soldiers could be varying shades of, say, magenta, half the civilians are varying shades of yellow (other half is various shades of cyan), and the initial kids are varying shades of black and gray.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-09, 05:07 AM
i think that would be a little too much micromanagement.

DeZako
2014-06-15, 05:45 PM
(Sorry I'm awfully late. Been feeling like crap the whole past week)

Life goes on at the camp, and the construction works are finally finished. The caverns are now much more pleasant to walk through, and you can often find some activity in there at any hour, be it children playing their games, or the adults gossiping and discussing diverse stuff. The crafters have also set up in there, and have been discussing setting up an actual workshop in there in order to increase efficiency. That'd require extra materials and the efforts of five workers, though, five workers that could be destined to other matters. They decide to consult it with the rest of the tribe.

The lake guard has learned that fish secrete a type of mucus from their skin. This slime coating is important because it provides protection against parasites and diseases, covers wounds to prevent infection and helps fish move through the water faster. Some species release toxins in their slime which ward off attacking creatures while others use their slime to feed their young.

Cassidei and his apprentice have managed to drop the water's temperature slightly with their powers. Continued research on the matter is sure to provide results, says Cassidei.

The espionage mission finally comes to an end, with the two warriors coming back to the tribe. According to them, the humans have two bosses, each opposite to the other. Infighting is common but non-violent... yet. They couldn't comprehend anything more of what was being talked about. The rest of the information they bring is purely statistical. Food isn't a concern, but the humans haven't started to experiment with stone yet. There are around 40 adults in total. About 15 know how to use a weapon at a basic level. There are no walls defending the camp from an outside attack, and instead rely on watchposts to warn the settlement should an attack happen.

Everything seems fine and dandy, with some threats on the horizon, like that beast, but nothing too pressing. Such a good time to celebrate anothe Rite of adulthood. Last years has passed so fast you could say it had only been weeks since the last time. This time, 4 children are to be adults, and not everyone wants to be a builder. One, specially, is hell bent on becoming a warrior, and has taken to speaking his mind out quite loudly about the rite of passage: he's a warrior, not a builder, and as such he feels that being judged by his ability to build is stupid.

Research on the rock continues, and the researchers have figured out it's properties. They now are working on how to process it. That'll take a bit more of time.

------------

Population:25 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 11 civilians, 9 children),
Resources:
-Essential:
--Water
--Food
---Vegetables (Small farm)
---Meat (Hunting)
---Fish(lake fishing)
-Materials:
--Wood
--Stone
--Clay
--Copper
-Luxury
--Leather
--Spices
Food: Stocks are full, and spices have helped make eating a pleasure rather than a chore. Fruits are making an appearance at the table, providing some much needed healthy alternatives to the meat that has been consumed so far. Grains and vegetables are also there, albeit in small doses.
1 stone granary
Cavern behind the waterfall accessible from underwater,
-Tunnel to the NE
-Ventilation shafts
Small farm with channels derived from the river.(4 workers, provides food for 50 slimes)
Small herb garden. (1 worker, provides enough spices for 200 slimes)
Named characters:
-Water control and manipulation(basic), change of state (WIP)
-Creation of elementals (crude)
-Apprentice.
---------------------------------
I was thinking of reworking the way this thread works somewhat, since I feel it currently is too micromanagement heavy.

Now you wont have to order the crafting of items: as long as you've access to the prerrequisites for those items to be crafteable, I'll assume you have them. That way, if you, say, have access to bronze, the technology to manipulate it, and the facilities required to transform it, Ill assume you have bronze hammers, spears, knives, etc. unless I say so.
Also, some of these facilities need workers to be operated at full capacity, like the farm. Unless you order something else, it's assumed that these facilities are provided of enough workers to function at 100%. This way we avoid making Fion copy paste the same three phrases about the guy taking care of the herb garden, the farmers and the lake guard.

As always, remind me if I've forgotten something.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-16, 09:04 AM
1. is the analysis of the heavy rock finished? and do we need to research smelting to (efficiently) work with it or do you consider that part of the micromanagement?
2. there's no mention of fish under resources.
3. are the five workers for the workshop only required to build it in one turn or to run it?

as for what to do next...
i suggest that we build the workshop and that one or two people try to gather information on the big beast (who knows? maybe it or its offspring can be domesticated).
the others that aren't occupied with repetitive tasks could either research something or undertake a diplomatic mission to the humans (although i'm not too sure that's worth it at this point).
oh, and since we appear to poduce twice as much food as we need, everyone should put some effort into procreation, i think.

now, concerning the warrior-to-be that doesn't want to build, i think we should tell it that even warriors need building skills, for shelter as well as for defensive works. if the youth wants to emphasize that it isn't a civilian, it's free to create a more mobile home suitable for the field (read "tent") or maybe erect some kind of defensive structure.

JBPuffin
2014-06-16, 01:58 PM
Once again, Fion's on top of things; agree with the plan, and also let the warrior know that there are some kinds of weapon that need a builder's talents...

DeZako
2014-06-16, 06:06 PM
Oh, editing to fix things up. The workers are both to build it and run it. You wont always need to have these sort of facilities running at full capacity though, so maybe some turns no slime will be there.

Mlmiii
2014-06-16, 06:36 PM
+1 to FTP

Also, since we have so much food, maybe we could use that as a friendly gesture when dealing with other tribes/species. It's likely that they'll be more lenient with our diplomatic missteps of they see us as good-natured.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-17, 10:05 AM
+1 to FTP

not so hasty. i haven't even posted an FTP yet, just suggestions.
we especially need to decide if investigating the beast is a good idea and whether the remaining people should research something (if they do, i vote for processing copper) or visit the humans.
since the humans don't appear to possess anything of interest, the only benefit to the latter that i see at this point is that we might establish positive relations. so i'm in favour of research, but what about everyone else?

DeZako
2014-06-22, 01:08 PM
bumping subtly so you guys can add to fion's ftp

Targ Collective
2014-06-22, 05:16 PM
I think there is room for much here.

Fortifications are a possibility - maybe our young warrior would like to be involved in defensive works? FULL AGREEMENT.

It's just a question of channelling those matters of discontent into a common goal. This CAN BE DONE.

The beast could be friendly or unfriendly. It could even be intelligent. I suggest we have our water mage look at water-based translation facilities. Our slimes are mostly water right? So why not have our slime mage look at a basic - very little power required in terms of energy but oh-so-useful - spell required to vibrate our 'ears' if communication is sound based in such a way that we have universal translation facility for all tongues?

They say music is the universal language. Why not have a diplomatic musician corps to, through song, create language bridges where needed?

Oh, there is so much to do. Our magic has to be water based, okay, but that gives us so many options. Can we eventually transmute water into food? Gold? Can we have water based illusion magic?

Can our slimes absorb pockets of water into themselves without making it into slime? If so, can our mages carry 'ammo'? Can we make these water elementals give of their water to provide 'ammo'? Can we eventually create elementals that can power themselves directly from the Prime Water Plane?

Slime is only a short step from water. Can we create gates to the Prime Slime Plane so that Ooze, mother of all slimes, can bless us with troops to aid us in battle?

I would say the most important thing we need is divination. Water divination can be used for scouting or casting spells. Or researching spells. Forget all of this elemental stuff for now. Just see what can be seen.

JBPuffin
2014-06-22, 05:50 PM
*chuckle* Prime Slime Plane indeed. I like Targ's plans here, and look forward to the fruit our friend brings us.

Oh, yeah, and music/auto-translate would be cool.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-23, 08:02 AM
nice ideas indeed, but i think that (apart from the water storage) that's all still a long way off.

Fion MacCumhail
2014-06-25, 02:44 PM
since there probably won't be any new input anytime soon, here's the new FTP:
- 3 civilians and 2 warriors operate the herb garden and the lake guard at full and the farm at 75% capacity.
- Cassidei and its apprentice (if it isn't among those doing the rite of passage) continue to research how to quickly change the aggregate state of water.
- 4 civilians and 1 warrior set up a workshop in the caverns.
- 1 civilian and 1 warrior try to gather information about the big beast from the east. what does it eat? where and how does it live? what are its capabilities/features?
- 2 civilians and 1 warrior research a way to process copper.
- apart from Cassidei's assistant, the children that aren't about to become adults begin to decorate the camp for the upcoming rite of passage.
- on top of their given tasks (not literally), all adults put some additional effort into procreation.
- the warrior-to-be that doesn't want to build is told that even warriors need building skills, for shelter as well as for defensive works. if the youth wants to emphasize that it isn't a civilian, it's free to create a more mobile home suitable for the field or maybe erect some kind of defensive structure.

also, it would be nice to know how much food the granary can hold and how full it is at the moment.
oh, and looking back through the thread, i just noticed that our rusty coins appear to have vanished from the stocks at some point.