PDA

View Full Version : Hel's brothers

CaDzilla
2014-04-10, 03:22 PM
Are they likely to show up in the comic? Jormungandr is Thor's killer in Norse mythology and Fenrir was binded by a dwarven chain. They're also all children of Loki.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-10, 04:38 PM
Are they likely to show up in the comic? Jormungandr is Thor's killer in Norse mythology and Fenrir was binded by a dwarven chain. They're also all children of Loki.

It doesn't seem like the gods of OOTS are necessarily the same as their real-life counterparts, at least for things like values or alignment. It's not necessary that either of Hel's brothers exist, or that they are children of Loki, or that they have the same background.

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-10, 05:18 PM
It's possible a version of them might show up, but don't expect them to necessarily be completely accurate to their real-world mythological counterparts.

We really don't know that much about the Northern pantheon. We have Odin, Thor, Loki, and Hel, and we know about the great giant Surtur who Thor was fighting in one strip (but it's doubtful that he's an actual deity). We saw a temple of Freya in one of the earlier strips after Dorukan's Dungeon. The Crayon's of Time comics also showed us a god wearing a brown tunic who I believe has not yet been named.

As far as I know, those are the only members of the Northern pantheon that have been revealed so far.

EDIT: Durkon's mother mentioned a deity called Sunna who drives the sun across the sky each day.

Gift Jeraff
2014-04-10, 05:42 PM
Thor mentioned Sif at one point.

dtilque
2014-04-10, 10:40 PM
Thor mentioned Sif at one point.

Sif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif) is Thor's wife, at least in the sagas.

There was an unnamed fertility goddess (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html), who Thor knocked up and I assume is not Sif.

Mith
2014-04-12, 06:33 PM
I believe the wolf curled around Hel's throne is Fenir. Where the World Serpent is, maybe he is part of what holds the Snarl in place. He is just angry with Thor, since he put him there. Getting control of the Gates will allow Hel to free Jormungandr to either kill Thor or make him bow.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-12, 08:28 PM
I believe the wolf curled around Hel's throne is Fenir. Where the World Serpent is, maybe he is part of what holds the Snarl in place. He is just angry with Thor, since he put him there. Getting control of the Gates will allow Hel to free Jormungandr to either kill Thor or make him bow.

Some people were theorizing that the wolf was Garm.