PDA

View Full Version : Comitatus Judex Primus - Court of the Chief Magistrate of the Salterri Imperium

Rizban
2014-04-10, 05:50 PM
Comitatus Judex Primus
For now, this is intended to be a roleplay thread and sort of a standing court where representatives from our nations can interact with one another.
When we need to organize to do something "big", the court can then be called into session with an action and we can enact several diplomatic outcomes with subactions by spending an action to attend the court.

The court before you seems more a social gathering than a court of law. Long tables along one wall contain a small feast and a selection of wines. Representatives from the provinces of the Imperium collect in small knots discussing matters relevant to their lands. Judex Primus Solus Ardersi sits in a high backed wooden chair overlaid with silver scroll work from which he negotiates agreements and arbitrates disputes.

As you enter a servant offers to take any hats, coats, or other clothing you wish to have stored safely until you depart. He also politely informs you that to speak to the Judex Primus himself, you must submit your request to one of the scribes and await your turn for a hearing. Otherwise, you are free to eat, socialize, and negotiate agreements amongst yourselves.

Aedilred
2014-04-10, 06:50 PM
There is a general clatter as the delegation from Jarrland arrives; a group of lightly-armoured guardsmen in what passes for ceremonial wear, and the Jarr ambassador, Elster, Lord Horwik. The skeletal shape of the Jarr people does not lend itself to even distribution of weight, and Lord Horwik clearly enjoys the good things in life. He is fantastically rotund, with a bushy white-grey beard and a rather ambitious comb-over, and clad in the bright purple cloths for which his people - and his tribe in particular - are so famous. The overall effect is rather striking, all the moreso when he catches sight of the buffet table and bears down upon it.

Rizban
2014-04-11, 01:22 PM
The Jarr ambassador's retinue is informed that they are not permitted to enter the court, but that if the ambassador feels unsafe in his own empire, he is permitted one personal bodyguard. The rest will be given quarters, refreshment, and entertainment until the ambassador departs. Glancing around the room, it seems that none of the others of the aristocracy have bodyguards with them, though two or three do have a personal servant on hand.

As the Lord Horwick loads up at the buffet, he sees a man in a blue cassock (http://orthovestments.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/P1160434-768x1024.jpg) adorned with buttons of pure silver, bound about the waist with a pale green cincture worked with patterns of silver thread. His face and head are carefully and completely shaven. Approaching you with a smile, the man speaks.

"Greetings, I am Patriarch Constans. I do not believe I have had the pleasure of meeting you, friend."

Aedilred
2014-04-13, 06:46 PM
Lord Horwik attempts to shuffle his various pastries and sweetmeats so that he can hold them in one hand together with his glass; after a couple of moments, he hands the foods to his assistant in exasperation and extends a hand to Patriarch Constans.

"Wotcher, Patriarch. Elster, er, that is, Lord Horwik, representing King Athelmark of Jarrland. Fine reception you have here. Sorry about my lads, wasn't sure of the form. Besides, can't be too careful these days, what." "

Rizban
2014-04-13, 07:02 PM
"Oh, no, it's quite alright. I brought my own retinue as well. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about too much here in the heart of the Imperium. Law and order and all that. But yes, the Imperium certainly does know how to throw a nice banquet.

I'm hoping to get some food exported to my own home region soon. We've got little arable land, few animals, and the fishing leaves much to be desired. With the recent hubbub in the north, we've lost the trade agreements we previously relied upon to feed our peoples."

Aedilred
2014-04-14, 07:03 PM
"
I'm hoping to get some food exported to my own home region soon. We've got little arable land, few animals, and the fishing leaves much to be desired. With the recent hubbub in the north, we've lost the trade agreements we previously relied upon to feed our peoples."
"Our own food production is far from ideal, I must admit. We're reliant on import of grain from Aus-Teire and trying to strike up trade deals elsewhere. If the population is to grow we need bread - and beer, of course. We're working on developing fisheries near the coast, but that will take time, and besides which fish hardly travels well unless heavily salted."

Rizban
2014-04-14, 07:14 PM
"Indeed. I am here to renegotiate grain trade with Aus-Teire myself. Our lands are likely even worse for food production than your own, and our fisheries are rather more than sub par... But if you have need for salt, why we have plenty of that to offer in trade. I would gladly arrange a trade of salt to you if you have something else to offer. We also have gold and silver aplenty, but silver is far too precious to trade for mere trinkets."

Aedilred
2014-04-14, 07:33 PM
"Salt is not a pressing need for us, thankfully, though it's true it is hard to have too much of it. What we do stand in need of more than anything is iron, or failing that some sort of metal suitable for use in weaponry. We have enough to equip our troops with the most basic of weapons, but spearheads, axeheads and the occasional sword really is our limit. Ideally we would be able to give each of our infantrymen a greatsword, and metal armour for that matter."

Rizban
2014-04-14, 07:45 PM
"That, I'm afraid, I cannot help you with at the moment. What iron we have is used for cookware and other household materials and in some industries. We are not warmongers, and we have no real use for such implements. The legions protect us as they do the rest of the Imperium, so I see no need to invest our own resources in that area."

ForzaFiori
2014-04-14, 08:20 PM
The ambassador from Mulharum arrives at the court with a small retinue - only two bodyguards. When stopped, he has the larger one stay with him, and the other wait in the provided quarters. Once allowed in, he heads first to the representative of the Salterri Imperium. "Greatings from my king to your Emperor, both those of this life and all those past. The Dwarves of the Mulharum wish to reach out to their neighbors, both large and small, and wish to express our gratitude for the invitation." He ends with a deep bow.

Rizban
2014-04-14, 08:23 PM
The ambassador from Mulharum arrives at the court with a small retinue - only two bodyguards. When stopped, he has the larger one stay with him, and the other wait in the provided quarters. Once allowed in, he heads first to the representative of the Salterri Imperium. "Greatings from my king to your Emperor, both those of this life and all those past. The Dwarves of the Mulharum wish to reach out to their neighbors, both large and small, and wish to express our gratitude for the invitation." He ends with a deep bow.

Turning to the new arrival, "Greetings, I am Patriarch Constans. It is always a pleasure to meet friends of the Imperium.".

ForzaFiori
2014-04-14, 08:27 PM
"I do not mean to pry into your conversation, but am i correct that you were discussing a need for foodstuffs in your countries? The Mulharum river is teaming with food. Crab, clam, shrimp, they are all brought up by the bucketload by those fortunate enough to not work the mines far from the river."

Rizban
2014-04-14, 08:38 PM
"That sounds... interesting. What more could you tell me about these river creatures? If I am to negotiate to bring food to thousands, I would need to know that they are worth the cost."

DurkBlanston
2014-05-28, 11:42 AM
Year 409
Councilor Carmin Vulpis entered the court of Salterri law accompanied only by a scribe and saw to scanning the room for the others represented there that day. He was told by the Lord Protector that in his correspondences with the Imperium and the Priory he had been informed that each vassal of the Imperium stationed a representative at this court, its purpose being the negotiation amongst the vassals and their liege matters of trade, law, tribute, and tax. The place seemed somewhat barren to the Councilor. He had accepted being sent off to set up embassy within the Imperium expecting a grand and bustling hive but that wasn't what he found in front of him. Nonetheless, it was the place and a position of responsibility and he would see done what he wished done even if he needed to reignite the very foundations himself.

"Inform the Judex Primus I wish to hold session with his honor," he said to the scribe who had informed him of the need to do so.

He imagined it would be some wait, it seemed there was always a wait with important folks even when they didn't seem busy, and he decided to make himself acquainted with the other representatives of the vassals meandering through the court house.

Morph mentioned you both had official agreements with the Salterri Imperium, can I see those? Morph is being slow to respond with sending one to me for my nation to sign on with.

EDIT: Nvm, found it in Aedilred's nation post. Adding it to my own.

EDIT2: Posting here for ease of reference.

The Salterri Imperium: Agreement
The Salterri Imperium
Participants: Salterri Imperium, Kingdom of the Jarrs

Preamble: The Salterri Imperium exists as a unified empire with the goal of bringing peace, order, and civilization to the world. All provinces and protectorates of the empire agree to abide by the following requirements.

1. Leadership

Loyalty to the Qzare is absolute. As ruler of the Imperium, the Qzare maintains ultimate authority over the empire. The Qzare agrees never to rule unilateraly without the input of the Senate and provincial Governors unless necessary for the preservation of the Imperium.
Regions under direct control of the Silver Throne shall retain their native leadership and traditional native methods of leader selection. Said leader is granted the Imperial Title of Provincial Governor and may use this title for all legal purposes. Traditional local titles for leadership may be retained and legally used, provided said titles are not Qzare, Emperor, Senator, or derivatives thereof.
Protectorates of the Imperium shall retain their native leadership, provided that said leadership at time of acquisition meets with the approval of the Qzare. Traditional native methods of leader selection will be honored, but new leaders must be approved by the Qzare. Leaders of Imperial Protectorates are granted the Imperial Title of Provincial Lord and may use this title for all legal purposes. Traditional local titles for leadership may be retained and legally used, provided said titles are not Qzare, Emperor, Senator, Governour, or derivatives thereof.

2. Military

A Legion is defined as 1,000 armed and expertly trained soldiers or equivalent thereof.
Defensive Requirements
All Provinces and Protectorates must maintain a minimum of 1 Legion standing army in each province.
Each Provincial Governor must maintain a minimum additional force of 4 Legions ready to mobilize at a moment's notice to any region of the Imperium.
Each Provincial Lord must maintain a minimum additional force of 2 Legions and no more than 4 Legions for the same purpose.
The Imperium shall maintain a minimum of 1 Legion and no more than 4 Legions standing army in every province for the same purpose.

Military Limitations
The Imperium shall not house more then 4 Legions in any Province outside of the Homelands, except in times of war.
Provincial Governors shall not raise unreasonable military forces, as determined by the Senate, except in times of war.
Provincial Lords may not raise more than 2 Legions per provincial region in addition to the mobile force, except with permission in times of war.

Requirements and Responsibilities
No region will raise arms against another member of the Imperium, except in defense.
No region will militarily invade lands belonging to nations outside of the Imperium, except in times of war.
Should any region of the Imperium come under attack, all mobile forces as defined above shall immediately be sent to defend the populace.
Regions incapable of supporting the minimums as laid out herein may be given special dispensation until such time as they can meet the requirements.

3. Faith and Religion

The state officially recognizes the following religions: Hailings of the Silver Sea; Ascension. The state officially endorses the Hailings of the Silver Sea.
Provincial Governors must adhere to a state approved faith, if necessary openly and publicly converting prior to claiming a leadership role in any Province or Protectorate. Provincial Lords may continue to practice their original faith, but conversion is preferable.
The clergy of all state approved faiths are granted autonomy to move through all Imperium lands spreading their beliefs without hindrance.
Members of unapproved, traditional faiths may continue to practice their beliefs within their traditional lands; however, spreading of such faiths to other regions is strictly forbidden.
No member of the Imperium may start or organize a new faith or religion.

4. Trade, Resources, & Technology

Imperial Provinces and Protectorates may make trade agreements as they see fit with the following requirements.
If a region of the Imperium has need of a resource you can provide, you must offer the resource to that region before offering it to any nation outside of the Imperium.
No trade agreements of any sort may be made with any nations declared to be an enemy of the Imperium.
No technology of any kind may be given to any nation not belonging to the Imperium without approval of the Qzare or Senate.

All acquired technologies are to be shared openly with all members of the Imperium, though recipients of the technologies may still be required to provide resources in payment for the technology.
5. Representation

All Provincial Governours and Provincial Lords have the right to attend or send a duly appointed representative to the Comitatus Judex Primus, Court of the Chief Magistrate of the Salterri Imperium. Here, leaders may petition the Imperium or have grievances addressed.