PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Laptop issues

Tanuki Tales
2014-04-10, 07:49 PM
So, I've had this Dell laptop of mine for about...five or six years now and it's served me well up until recently. Ever since the plastic around one of the opening hinges cracked and got busted, I've noticed that its proclivity to crash from overheating or going into sleep mode has risen (I'm not saying they're linked, just that I noticed it around then). This is an issue in of itself, but not the one I'm here about:

Every so often, when my comp goes into sleep mode (which happens after 3 minutes with the plug in and 1 minute without), when I go to boot it up, it will turn off instead of turning on. Then, when I attempt to turn it on, the light will glow for less than a second and it will make the noise it makes when it begins to power up, multiple times in quick succession, before just flat failing to power up. It will take three or more attempts before the thing will finally decide to actually turn back on.

So...what's wrong, how can I fix and should I get a new laptop?

Grinner
2014-04-10, 08:40 PM
It sounds like an electrical issue, and it doesn't sound like something you can fix all that easily by yourself. I want to say that broken hinge has put strain on the rest of the hardware.

I remember something similar happening to me with one of the Inspiron models or something like that. The casing around the left hinge had some structural flaws and cracked after so much use. More problematically, this area was really close to some hardware responsible for the laptop's electrical power. The wear and tear from the broken hinge eventually began to affect that hardware, leading to power issues.

Tanuki Tales
2014-04-10, 08:45 PM
It sounds like an electrical issue, and it doesn't sound like something you can fix all that easily by yourself. I want to say that broken hinge has put strain on the rest of the hardware.

I remember something similar happening to me with one of the Inspiron models or something like that. The casing around the left hinge had some structural flaws and cracked after so much use. More problematically, this area was really close to some hardware responsible for the laptop's electrical power. The wear and tear from the broken hinge eventually began to affect that hardware, leading to power issues.

Mine's an Inspiron...

And it's the left hinge...

Damn it. :smallannoyed:

Well, guess never closing the thing after the casing broke was the right idea.