PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Finished 10th level of Jade Phoenix Mage, what now?

Keldrin
2014-04-10, 09:29 PM
The party is 16th level. My character is Wiz/4, SS/2, JPM/10. Sounds like 4 more levels in this AP, and I'm not sure which Prc to jump to next. Abjurant Champion is the obvious choice, already qualified for it, and wth full BAB and casting, but the class features are only so-so for my character. He's not suffering for AC and between manuevers and spells, I'm pretty covered for options (more than I can keep track of frankly).

Any other full caster gish prc's with some fun features, to compensate me for my sadness at losing out more manuevers?

I should add that I'm the main arcane caster, so I'm trying not to fall behind any more than I have.

Edit to add other party members. A 16 Druid, an archer rogue,sorceror dragon devotee,arcane trickster, with skill tricks and a few spells for sneaking and sniping. And a Dread Necromancer with secrets.

Thanks in advance. :)

Metahuman1
2014-04-10, 09:35 PM
What feats do you have? That's the first question. Second, what skill ranks.

Keldrin
2014-04-10, 09:41 PM
Ah, sorry good point. Stupidly, I don't have my sheet at hand...
Titan fighting, elusive defense, combat casting, combat reflexes, Knowledge devotion, Kung fu genius/carmedine monk . The gnome feat that allows two knowledge rolls

Maxed knowledge skills, high concentration, spellcraft, trying to play the party face, as we're all a bunch of rugged survivalists, that are now having to make diplomancy and gather info checks.

Retraining is possible.

Mongobear
2014-04-10, 10:33 PM
4 levels of Eldritch Knight from the DMG?

I know its a little vanilla, but its pretty good to finish off a build if you dont have any other options. 4 levels will get you +4 BAB, a Bonus Feat, and 3/4 spell casting levels.

Keldrin
2014-04-10, 10:40 PM
Thanks Mongo, I'll double check it, but I don't think it has enough.. oomph. :)
I'd rather lose BAB than caster levels as I'm behind as it is.

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-10, 10:54 PM
I think I've heard Knight Phantom brought up in contexts such as this.

For flavor, maybe something along the lines of Blade Dancer from Oriental Adventures, though you will lose casting....

There are a number of other things that I like tacking onto stuff. Factotum dip is appealing for Intelligence builds. I love Nentyar Hunter for being some compact access to another form of spellcasting. Shadowsmith has some win flavor if stealth and flavor are your thing (kind of suck, mechanically). Lots of people like a few levels of Fist of the Forest if you can swing it. But much of that is cool, except for losing caster levels.

You could look into the DM allowing you to slightly adjust Master of the East Wind from Dragon Magazine (I think that was the one...it was "Master of the X Wind" in any case. That might lose a level of casting at first, too, though.

Ardent Dilettante is another favorite of mine, especially for builds that need a skill point boost. That's from Planar Handbook.

Rebel7284
2014-04-10, 11:11 PM
Abjurant Champion IS probably the best you can get. Other options:

Sacred Exorcist - Turn Undead is useful for a bunch of things and has 3/4 BAB.
Unseen Seer - Also has 3/4 BAB, expands your spell list (Chose Destiny is good!). Should add bonus damage when in assassin's stance.

Also any class that could allow you to persist buffs would make you a better gish (Spelldancer, Incantatrix, etc)

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-10, 11:26 PM
Check out this list http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1099491

Kazyan
2014-04-10, 11:46 PM
I did a thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321715-The-Gish-Handbook); scroll down to the prestige class section and take your pick.

Windstorm
2014-04-10, 11:51 PM
seconding abjurant champion here, best companion to JPM aside from 1 level of spellsword.

Ikeren
2014-04-11, 03:15 AM
You've lost 4 caster levels:
Abjurant Champion really is great for finishing out this build, with full BAB, full casting, d10 hit dice, but otherwise, how about:

Incantatrix --- Free persists -- 0.5bab and d4
Swiftblade3 --- 4 levels gets you 2 more lost caster levels (which finishes you at 14th rather than 15th or 16th, which is wrong). So swiftblade 3 gives you: d6, full bab, 2/3 casting, skills and reflex save, Spring Attack, swift surge +1, Blurred Alacrity (30%) and Sudden Casting. Finish with Spellsword 1 (but you lack heavy armor proficiency) so you're back to Abjurant Champion for the last level.

Xerlith
2014-04-11, 04:05 AM
Just go Abjurant Champion. Not because of class features (Which are nice), but because of the chassis. You can ignore all the class abilities altogether (except autoquickened abjurations. Those are great).

Keldrin
2014-04-11, 11:20 AM
Thank you all for the ideas and input.

John Longarrow
2014-04-11, 12:23 PM
One level dip in Mind Bender to grab Telepathy? Very useful when you start doing all the diplo stuff. You would then qualify for Mind Sight, a great Feat!

Adverb
2014-04-11, 12:55 PM
Abjurant Champion is just So Damn Good that it's the answer even when you don't care about the side-bennies. Full casting is great, full BAB/d10 is nice. The only reason I'd go out of my way to take anything else would be to get a good will save over a good fort save.

All that said, I'd consider taking two levels of Wizard. The first one gets you a feat, the second one gets you +1 to all saves.