PDA

View Full Version : The Value of One's Humanity IC

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-10, 09:43 PM
You've been hiding out in United Stadium, along with fifteen-thousand other people from the city, for almost four days now. Chicago was completely lost last night.

Six days ago, some fires broke out in the city. The fire departments couldn't keep up with them, and soon surrounding blocks were evacuated. The fires should have burned out, but they never did.

On the second day, people began walking out of the buildings. Their flesh was thoroughly melted and cooked. It clung to their skeletons, a bit too much in some, revealing bone which had also been charred. The only color remaining was bits of them which still held heat, glowing a faint orange. Nobody knew how to react. These unrecognizable, charred corpses began to spread through the city, starting fires with their arrival. The police put some down, but the fires just seemed to create more.

The second day heralded in the worst of it. Creatures with no other descriptor than "demon" began to come out of the fires. They came in every shape and size, and colors ranging from unnatural black, to the brightest candy red. They killed without hesitation, mercy, or restraint. The estimates say at least half a million were lost before the sun went down. That doesn't count the fires.

On the third day, people were rounded up by the remainder of the police force, and brought to the stadium. In whole, twenty thousand were brought. You arrived pretty early, securing a place to sleep at the very least. Food ran low by evening, as well as water. By the morning of day four, there was already violent discontent. Five thousand were either killed, or wounded too much to give medical attention.

You escaped such a fate by not trying to riot your way out. Over the next couple days, you got to know some of the other survivors. There wasn't much to do other than talk, and if you were lucky and brought some cards, play cards. You can hear people spreading rumors about the military coming to your rescue. But, at the rate everything has literally gone to hell, that doesn't seem likely. You have also heard rumors of the military coming to eradicate everything of the city, to prevent the spread of what ever happened here. Either way, they will be here by the end of the day. You have few choices.
Stay and hope you're saved.
Or.
Run, and hope you survive.

You have access to enough food to last you the day. There are a few guns unattended in the ticket office, meant for the police guarding the stadium. There are knives in the kitchen. Someone said there is hockey equipment around, but not where.

It is 9:45 AM. A warm, but strong wind has blown the smoke away from the city, revealing a near cloudless sky. It is 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Away from the fires, at least.

gac3
2014-04-10, 10:16 PM
James Monroe wanders around the stadium. He is an average 19 years old with little to offer these people but he tries to provide comfort where he can. He finds a cop and decides to see what he can learn. What do we know of these creatures? Can they die? Have we successfully killed any? James is a perfectly average 19 year old man, which means the thought of fighting for his country, maybe even humanity, even if it's against creatures from possibly other dimensions.

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-10, 10:26 PM
The cop shook his head. I haven't. Everything's been chaos though. Someone may have.

Elbeyon
2014-04-10, 10:37 PM
BB let out an exhausted yawn. He stayed up late last night trying to find some way out, but the guards have most things covered. He still has a couple ideas though. Really, he wanted out earlier. The riots ruined his escape. Now some jibber jabber is ruining the little pit of piece he has before all the jacks wake up.

He doesn't even know why someone would waste their time trying to talk to a cop. They aren't going to help anyone. There no better off than anyone else, except that their allowed to shoot people, he guesses. The news that the government is coming to kill everyone doesn't even begin to surprise him. It sure pisses him off though. Speaking of which.

BB gets up from the few linens he managed to secure, sure that they would be gone by the time he got back, and started to wonder off out of the stadium floor. Looking for something to eat and a way out.

herodofcows
2014-04-11, 12:41 AM
Corbin doesn't really sleep anymore. He sits upright, tented beneath a blanket, and watches this mad little fragment of the world wake up and move about.

It was all too BIG, what had happened. The mass deaths, numbers so high as to loose meaning and scope. The shrieks, the burning flesh smell and searing trauma of watching, knowing, hearing his friends and loved ones die. The destruction, the awful grasping demons and zombies, and the unquenching, undaunted flames . . . individually, any facet would have been barely digestible to his mind, but all together it's beyond his capacity to envision.

The whole thing has an aura of the fantastic. Demons? Quarantine? Corpses wreathed in ever-burning flames? It feels unreal in a very physical, visceral sense, as if his body were doing its utmost to reject reality. In a world without his school, his friends, his girlfriend, his laptop and all the years of work contained within it . . . in a world where all of that was a scorched cinder or a shambling flaming corpse, what else could possibly happen?

And so, formerly-mild-mannered-studies-and-sleeps-and-toes-the-line Corbin Hollow gets up out of bed, heads off more or less following BB, and begins to make plans involving a knife, a pack of food, and a way out of here.

"What do you think about the military rumors?" he asks BB, in a shattered cadence attempting nonchalance.

Elbeyon
2014-04-11, 01:46 AM
BB pauses, half turning to face Corbin though his hoodie blocks most of his features. Waiting for him to catch up then continuing with his lazy stroll. "It might as well be fact. Whether their coming here to kill us or not. They sure aren't coming to help us. The big wigs have already written us our R.I.P. They aren't worried about saving us anymore. They are going to be worried about saving themselves then everyone else. They'll kill us if we get in their way though. That's for sure. Deem it "necessary."" Giving air quotes for that last word.

"If we want to live we've got to take care of ourselves. Everyone else is too busy killing us off and writing our eulogies."

The_Admiral
2014-04-11, 03:39 AM
Another cop walks in yawning, his sidearm holstered. Oh hey, my shift's up, you're up next, he says to the other cop, plopping down and leaning against a wall. He had seen a lot more than he signed up for when he joined the force.

Soliloquy
2014-04-11, 02:33 PM
Stephang heard B.B. and Corbin talking. Finally, some people who know whats up. As much as any of them do. He can use them to gather some more information, or at least vent some anger about their situation. "Not necessarily." He interrupted. "Probably, but not necessarily. That's what's been bothering me the most, to be honest, the uncertainty. We don't know what's going on, and we don't know what they know. I mean, think about it. Who says that this is only happening here? Hell, who says that there's even any government left? This could have happened everywhere. Or on the other hand, what if they know way more than we do? What if they already knew something like this could happen. They could be planning or implementing a counter attack. Or a treaty. I mean, crap, they could caused this for all we know! So what do you know? He stopped to get his breath, and gave the others a chance to speak.

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-11, 02:48 PM
The first cop took a step toward Stephang. Might wanna keep that kind of thought to yourself. We don't want any more riots, do we? he asked, venemously, taking another step toward him. Do we?

herodofcows
2014-04-11, 03:06 PM
Corbin recoils convulsively as the cop steps forward.

"We-we were just asking questions. Calm down." he says, placatingly.

Inside of his head, knife-born fantasies begin forming around that cop's neck and a serrated piece of stainless steel.

Elbeyon
2014-04-11, 05:11 PM
Irritated that the conversation had started to draw a crowd and thus a cop he starts to bail on the group. Not willing to be apart of a scuffle. Especially one with cops that have already shown they back up their threats. With some ire and a matter of fact voice, "I've got to take a piss." Brushing past the bag holding Stephang while he goes off towards the stadium's kitchens.

The_Admiral
2014-04-11, 07:01 PM
"Look buddy, you got to calm down, we're all on edge here." he says to the first cop.

Soliloquy
2014-04-11, 08:14 PM
Stephang takes a step closer to the cop. "Maybe if we had another riot, we could stretch our resources a little further." He pauses, savoring the look on the cop's face before continuing. "Not that I would suggest that. After all, the most important resources of all in this stadium will information and, well, people. The food will be important due to its impact on the second, and whoever controls these three things will prevail." His eyes narrow on the cop. "Make sure you don't abandon one of the three for control of the other two. You will not like what follows."

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-11, 09:06 PM
I'm watchin' you. the cop said to Stephang, before heading off toward his post. A small crowd had gathered around the confrontation. Not one so big to block anyone from coming or going, but large enough to be noticed.

gac3
2014-04-11, 09:20 PM
James thinks for a moment and then says Do you know where I can find someone who might know something?

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-11, 09:22 PM
The crowd mummers incoherently, not reaching a joint decision. The only words that can be picked out are Police, God, and your mom.

The_Admiral
2014-04-12, 02:55 AM
"Look, buddy none of us knows anything, all we know is we're surrounded."

herodofcows
2014-04-12, 12:54 PM
Corbin walks to the kitchen, intent on finding a knife and food. That confrontation was the last straw, somehow. S*** was jumping off, and Corbin had no intention of being in the blast radius when it all went down.

Soliloquy
2014-04-12, 01:59 PM
"No." He responded to the cop. "We know we're surrounded and running out of food. Which means that if we aren't getting help, we need to know, and we need to get out. Now. Because if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that out there at least, things aren't getting better. If there's a time to run it's now."

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-12, 09:32 PM
As you arrive in the kitchen, you see there are already two others, searching for supplies. One of them acknowledges your presence simply looking you up and down. He then goes back to rummaging through cupboards and drawers. There are a number of metal tables, each mostly covered in empty boxes, bags, and cans. On the wall opposite the door you entered is another door. It is partially open, and a cloud of condensation is rolling out of it. There are no cooking implements, as far as you can see, though one of the strangers is holding a knife.

The room is chilly and well lit.

The crowd disperses, leaving the three of you to each other's company. People are beginning to get up, not that they have much to do. They talk, and some play cards. Most people are on the field, though some move into the seats. Fewer still, walk into other parts of the stadium.

The room is warm an adequately lit.

The_Admiral
2014-04-12, 10:15 PM
"I would like to apologise for Dale over there, he's been on edge, my name's John Addams," he says to the other two, extending his arm in greeting

Elbeyon
2014-04-13, 02:26 AM
Having had pretty much made a v-line for the food stores he was glad to see a familiar face had made it too. He gives a nonchalant, "Hey Corbin." After four days it wasn't really any surprise that this place had been mauled over any number of times. Thousands are hungry. But, still. He had to give it a try. Figuring the freezer might have the best chance of holding some yet unclaimed prize he tightens his hoodie and walks in. Keeping an eye on the two unknown guests while he searches the place. He really didn't want to be locked in as some type of joke.

tbergman92
2014-04-13, 09:56 AM
Stretching awake, Andy was concerned to discover that he had slept in later than he had intended. In the last few moments before he became fully awake, he had overheard some of the refugees arguing with a cop. Looking in the direction the voices had come from, he confirmed his suspicion that they were a few of the survivors he had come to know over the last few days. Standing up and gathering up his meager possessions, Andy again lamented his lack of a knife. His father had drilled into his head throughout his childhood to always have a knife on hand--particularly in any survival situation, as a knife was versatile--the most useful purpose being protection, of course.

Looking about, he remembered someone mentioning that there was a rumor that there were some knives in the kitchen. Wishing he had a better option than a kitchen knife, Andy sighed and headed towards the kitchen to look for a passable blade.

Soliloquy
2014-04-13, 10:29 AM
Stephang accepts the proffered hand and responds, "Don't worry, he's doing the right thing. The only thing better then watching me would be listening to me. Fortunately, I think that you will. If there is any doubt in your mind at all that help is coming, then we need to get out of here as fast as possible. Well?"

herodofcows
2014-04-13, 05:59 PM
Corbin grunts acknowledgment, sizes up the newcomers, and slowly moseys his way over to the room from which the condensation is issuing. He gives a peek inside, keeping his back to the wall.

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-14, 07:26 PM
There are now five in the room, three of them being friendly, or at the least, recognizable, faces. The other two are rummaging through draws. The one with the knife stops and looks to BB, You lookin' for somethin'?

Elbeyon
2014-04-14, 07:42 PM
Phew, it was a cold BB wasn't use to. Anyone is familiar with the cold of a freezer, but it's another matter when you walk into one. Something he's never had the chance to do till now. The hand numbing shelves weren't providing as he had hoped and worse yet the other survivors are chatting him up. The knife wielding man was someone he was keeping a particular eye on. He had seen too many times what a knife can do to someone his size. He gives a look to Corbin that one could only imagine would mean "what the heck are you doing" as he peeks into the freezer like some type of imitation special op. Finally addressing his questioner he gives an agitated, "Just looking for something to eat. I ain't going to cause any trouble." He glances down at the knife. What he said wasn't a lie but he'd really enjoy the comforts of a blade. If he had too he'd get some sharp, metal scrap from some cans or something. It'd be awkward to use as a tool and pretty crappy weapon but it could scare someone.

The_Admiral
2014-04-15, 05:47 AM
I don't know man, I've got a responsibility here, helping keep as many people here alive as I can, I swore to serve and to protect.

Soliloquy
2014-04-15, 09:56 AM
Yeah. But we can't last here for long. We have to leave eventually, and we might as well do it on a full stomach.

The_Admiral
2014-04-16, 04:10 AM
"Fine, I'll talk to the captain, see if anyone else wants to come along, we're going to need to look around anyway, no point, putting that off,"

Soliloquy
2014-04-16, 07:22 AM
Okay, I'll go ask some of the people in the kitchen.

Stephang leaves and goes to the kitchen.

tbergman92
2014-04-16, 09:23 AM
Andy paused as he entered the doorway. He recognized Corbin and BB, but not the other two. And the man with the knife looked like he would be willing to use it. Making a snap judgment, Andy decided to not acknowledge his association with Corbin and BB just yet and hoped they would be smart enough to do the same. The element of surprise was always useful in a fight.

Andy took another look around the kitchen. Where would I keep my knives...

As he thought about it, he decided his best choice would be to ignore the tension in the room and just get to looking. Spotting a fairly large open area of counter away from the two he didn't know, he nonchalantly strolled across the room to begin checking the drawers there for any sort of knife, whistling an old favorite of his (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SosaWJYdEg) in an attempt to convey his lack of awareness of the tension.

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-16, 12:21 PM
The kitchen starts to get a little crowded. The man with the knife begins to notice most of the people in the room have eyed him at least once, and becomes nervous. He puts his back to the wall. I don't want any trouble, guys.. The other looks up from his scrounging for the first time, and is revealed to be an extremely unremarkable young-ish man. He holds out some unprepared hot dogs, and frozen french fries. There's plenty for all of us. Take this..

Elbeyon
2014-04-16, 04:45 PM
Nice. BB moves on out of the freezer toward the youngish man, rubbing his face along the way to warm it up. Aggressive and confident like he's done this before he reaches out and takes the offered food. "Thanks. Your charity will really help us survive. Your a genuine good person." Halfway through thinking him a malicious grin crosses his face and he looks to the unknown persons in the room. "I just wish we had something to fend for ourselves with. Something like a knife. Do you have a spare? Man I could kill for a knife. "

[roll0]

Sansamadonochan
2014-04-17, 12:54 AM
I don't know where you could get any weapons. The man who handed over the food turned back to his rummaging. The man with the knife stepped forward. Maybe you oughta just get out of here.

Elbeyon
2014-04-17, 01:06 AM
Whatever signs of weakness the knife guy had faded as he regained his confidence. Sch, "Whatever." BB only had an appetite for the weak and no stomach for courage. He took what he got and left the room. He figured the others knew he was still going to try and get a weapon so he went to were the rumors led him without worrying about coordinating. The ticket office.

gac3
2014-04-19, 11:47 AM
((A little confused... was my conversation with the cop ever responded to))

The_Admiral
2014-04-19, 11:59 AM
((okay, I'm assuming John goes off to meet the captain.))

Hey, cap, I had idea, a bunch of people were talking about scouting out the area around the stadium, see if anything's there and maybe scavenge some stuff, it sounds like it's workable.

herodofcows
2014-04-19, 12:06 PM
Corbin remains in the kitchen, sizing up the strangers. His look into the steaming room on the opposite wall had yielded nothing but . . . well, steam, apparently. For now, he's going to stay here, quietly, and see if they notice him.