PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Custom Magic Item Help

shamgar001
2014-04-10, 10:49 PM
Are there any guidelines to how to make sure that magic item powers are balanced for their level? Specifically, I'm trying to decide the level of a weapon that contains the Guardian's Counter power from the Guardian theme (Dragon 399), which will remain an encounter power.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-11, 05:39 AM
There are no guidelines on how to make your own magic items. That said, don't worry about it; it's not like the items printed by WOTC are balanced for their level, either :smallamused:

Sol
2014-04-11, 08:09 AM
^ agreed with Kurald.

Most items with notably powerful encounter powers are Rare, but item rarity is also mostly arbitrary and used by only a small minority of groups.

INDYSTAR188
2014-04-11, 09:29 AM
There are no guidelines on how to make your own magic items. That said, don't worry about it; it's not like the items printed by WOTC are balanced for their level, either :smallamused:

What about creating rituals?

Kurald Galain
2014-04-11, 10:47 AM
What about creating rituals?

The same, really. There are no guidelines for creating your own rituals, and those made by WOTC aren't particularly balanced for their level.

INDYSTAR188
2014-04-11, 04:32 PM
The same, really. There are no guidelines for creating your own rituals, and those made by WOTC aren't particularly balanced for their level.

I have an Artificer - Alchemist Savant - Magister player who has been making items and self-creating rituals as often as possible. My feelings are that he spent the feats to maximize his character concept but I'm afraid that it might be too much, too powerful. On the other hand he has role played his character concept really well and is definitely the most 'bought-in' player of the group.

shamgar001
2014-05-07, 10:44 AM
Another thought I had: would a magic item daily power that causes an enemy to target himself with his own attack be too powerful for heroic tier?

Inevitability
2014-05-07, 12:14 PM
I'd say no. Take a look at wands. Now look at the wizard power Hypnotism.

One could easily make a wand of hypnotism, and it'd be a heroic tier item.

Epinephrine
2014-05-07, 12:30 PM
Another thought I had: would a magic item daily power that causes an enemy to target himself with his own attack be too powerful for heroic tier?

As an interrupt? Probably. Depends somewhat on the action/how easily it works. If it involves an attack roll to make the effect work (say, stat +2/4/6 vs Will), might be reasonable even as an interrupt, provided it was Daily. As mentioned, if it's as a standard action (like Hypnosis), then it seems fine.

Yakk
2014-05-07, 12:46 PM
The general rule I use is that a magic item daily power should be about as good as a character encounter attack power of the same level as the item.

A magic item encounter power should have roughly the power of a player at-will attack power.

There are items that violate this standard (strikebacks, for example), but they are among the most powerful items in the game.

Powers that use your standard action include the power of an at-will standard action you forgo. Powers that do not don't have that budget.

The very best, top-notch items in the game are stronger than the above.

If the item is a Rare item, I'd consider being closer to on par with a player power (of the same level and usage) to be viable.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-07, 12:55 PM

There's a level 3 swordmage encounter power that has more-or-less this effect. So I would find it suitable for a daily item of level 8 or thereabouts, yes.

shamgar001
2014-05-07, 06:57 PM
This is what I have in mind:

Mirror Shield
The steel of this shield has been so finely polished that you can see your perfect reflection in it; a reflection so real that it looks like it could leap from the shield into the world.

Level: 8?

Item Slot: Arms
Shield: Light or Heavy

Power (At-Will): Minor action: You turn the shields reflective powers on or off. While the the reflective power is on, if there is any light source within 5 squares, the Mirror Shield can reflect a beam of dim light into a close burst 3 within 20 squares.

Power (Daily): Immediate Interrupt. Use this power when an enemy hits you with a ranged attack. The triggering enemy becomes the target is its own attack in your place.

The fluff is that when the enemy casts a spell or shoots an arrow, they hit their own reflection, and their reflection hits them back. The at-will power is for a puzzle later, which I won't go into here.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-07, 07:25 PM
Works for me, but I'd suggest that the enemy has to make a new attack roll against himself. It's more exciting that way.

shamgar001
2014-05-07, 07:37 PM
Make a new attack, or their current attack just has to hit them?

dariathalon
2014-05-07, 08:16 PM
I'd suggest a rewording on the at-will power. I think you mean it allows light in an AREA burst __ within 20. A CLOSE burst would be centered on the shield's user rather than on the square within 20. You might also want to double check the size since close bursts sizes and area bursts sizes are counted slightly differently. I don't know if it is enough to matter to you though.

shamgar001
2014-05-07, 08:48 PM
Whoops! I can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

Inevitability
2014-05-07, 11:52 PM
Yay, Zelda items! We need more of those.

And yes, I'd recommend to let the enemy make a new attack roll. Nothing more hilarious than the foe who kills itself with a crit.

Sol
2014-05-08, 01:11 AM
The Skald's Armor enchant daily power is identical to what you're looking for.