PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Win7 install issues

ImaginaryDragon
2014-04-10, 11:28 PM
Laptop died, determined it was hard drive issues, got and installed new hard drive, so far so good.

Trying to install an OS is where the trouble crops up. After going through a bunch of steps int he installation process, I wound up with a black screen with a blinking underscore.

I did some digging, and this seems to be an issue many people have had, but so far I have yet to find concrete instructions on what to do to get Win7 installed properly.

If I restart, then it goes to the OS loading screen and then just sits there, blinking away.

Any ideas?

ImaginaryDragon
2014-04-11, 09:40 PM
Optionally, anyone know how I can cancel the current install and try again?

factotum
2014-04-12, 01:52 AM
If you just boot from the install DVD rather than the laptop's internal hard drive then the installation should start again from scratch.

Nightgaun7
2014-04-12, 10:09 AM
If you just boot from the install DVD rather than the laptop's internal hard drive then the installation should start again from scratch.

Using an ISO on a USB. And it doesn't.

factotum
2014-04-12, 10:51 AM
Sounds like it's booting from the internal hard drive rather than the USB stick, then; you need to check the BIOS to make sure the boot order is correct.

ImaginaryDragon
2014-04-12, 02:53 PM
Sounds like it's booting from the internal hard drive rather than the USB stick, then; you need to check the BIOS to make sure the boot order is correct.

Forgot I was logged in on my bro's account there.

I checked the BIOS and set it to boot from the USB but it was ineffectual.

factotum
2014-04-13, 01:36 AM
Something is highly suspicious if it isn't restarting the installation process even after booting from the USB key, but I have no idea what that might be, I'm afraid. :smallfrown:

AgentofOdd
2014-04-14, 01:19 AM
May I ask what laptop you're using? Mayhap there's some oddity with the hardware.

supermonkeyjoe
2014-04-14, 10:29 AM
Exactly how far through the windows 7 setup did you get the 1st time?

ImaginaryDragon
2014-04-14, 11:34 AM
May I ask what laptop you're using? Mayhap there's some oddity with the hardware.

Dell Inspiron 5520, new HD is a Hitachi Travelstar 5K750 HTS547564A9E384

Exactly how far through the windows 7 setup did you get the 1st time?

I don't recall exactly at this point, but I was definitely through language selection and such.

Talos
2014-05-07, 02:44 PM
If you have another Desktop with SATA available. I would pull the HD from the lap top slave it to the Desktop and format it. maybe do some diags on it while in the other machine to make sure the drive is good and stable. once thats done reinstall in laptop and run your ISO again.

Avilan the Grey
2014-05-23, 08:43 AM
As for moving the drive: It really shouldn't be neccesary if the boot sequence works in BIOS. Do you have any older OS discs? An XP install CD perhaps? If you boot from that and then just go as far as to remove / reformat the partitions on the HDD then reboot again with the windows 7 disc?