PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sturm Lirandar (casts STORM!)

thethird
2014-04-11, 12:09 AM
So I'm looking into building a character (for one of my games) set on Eberron and I've decided to play a blaster (which I rarely do) the game fortunately is starting at level 12. Right now this is my build.

Sorcerer 6 / Stormcaster 6

Race wise I'm going with a half elf

I've got to get two flaws (haven't decided which yet)
Feat wise:
Sculpt spell
Energy substitution (electricity)
Least dragonmark (of storm)
Born of three thunders
Mark of the dauntless
Rapid metamagic
Spell thematics [this has been given to me for free and I'm not going to complain]

All my spells are going to have the born of three thunders applied to them (and gain the effects of thunderbolt from stormcaster) i.e. this means that the spells will deal half electricity, half sonic, +spell level sonic, and would cause those affected to take 2 fort saves or be stunned (if they fail any of the two) and a reflex save or be knocked prone.

Any suggestion on cool damage spells for a sorcerer? That could follow with theme of storm.

Scarce
2014-04-11, 04:17 PM
With your energy substitution, you could just take the layman's blaster spells (Scorching Ray, Fireball, Cone of Cold, etc) and just prepare them as lightning spells. Moreover, all of the core Fog spells are great crowd control spells and fit thematically. Maybe take Acid Rain and gust of wind, but anything lightning or sonic related will work, really.

Vedhin
2014-04-11, 04:35 PM
I'm always a proponent of Stored Lightning Bolt from Secrets of Sarlona. It's a 7th level spell, but play your cards right and you can get 2d6/level damage.

The Dragonlance Campaign Setting has Dalamar's Lightning Lance. You know you want to play Zeus.
If you can scrounge the feats, Reserves of Strength from the same book is great. It lets you break the cap on your spells and boost CL, and Mark of the Dauntless lets you dodge the stunning (but you take some damage.

Elemental Dart is a handy level 2 spell, from the DLCS as well.

Another DLCS 4th level spell is Spark Shield, which retaliates against attackers and is BotTTable.

A third DLCS 4th is Storm Wall, which is Wall of Fire 2: Electric Boogaloo

Shining South has the level 4 Lightning Fog, a brutal spell with BotTT.

Dragon Magic's Lord of the Sky is 5th level, and doesn't do much damage. On the other hand, it works well with BotTT.

Magic of Eberron has Storm Touch. You get a touch attack that deals 9d6 electricity damage (plus another 1d6 for having the Mark of Storm), and has its own Fortitude save vs stun. It's usable one time/level, lasts indefinitely if you hold the charge, and is a 5th level spell.

Frostburn's 5th level Boreal Wind is a target for Energy Substitution'd BotTT.

From the same book, the 2nd level spell Numbing Sphere is just sick with ES'd BotTT.

The Spell Compendium's 2nd level Frost Breath is also for ES'd BotTT.

Shining South has Snilloc's Snowball (NOT Swarm), a 1st level spell which can give you five attacks that can be affected by ES'd BotTT.

The Spell Compendium's 4th level spell Blistering Radiance is notable only for letting you apply ES'd BotTT to a 50ft radius at long range.

The SC's 2nd level spell Burning Sword is a crazy buff for melees with ES'd BotTT.

Another SC great for ES'd BotTT is the 3rd level Flashburst, natively capable of blinding the opponent on a failed Will save.

The Player's Handbook II has Bright Worms, a 4th level spell once again for use with ES'd BotTT.

Shining South has Daltim's Fiery Tentacles, a 5th level spell that is basically Evard's Black Tentacles but eligible for ES'd BotTT.

Core brings us Flame Arrow, which is similar to Burning Sword above, but 3rd level.

Palin's Pyre is a 3rd level spell from the DLCS, which has low damage but is very shapable for ES'd BotTT.