PDA

View Full Version : Checking interest: Game journals databank

Kol Korran
2014-04-11, 12:26 AM
I've been thinking... There are all kind of game journals here on The Playground, and I'd love to have an easy access to them, as I like reading about other people's games, and get inspiration, or a laugh. So I'm thinking maybe I (Or someone who's better at tables or such), compile the various journals on the site (And possibly notable ones off site?) Do you think you'd like such a resource?

If you do, what do you think such a compilation (which will be ongoing, new journals may be added) should have? How should it be organized? Some thoughts:
- I think it should be by author, with a brief description of the author's style.
- Then each log/ journal should have a few identifying tags (Like the forum's tags)- DM/ Player/ Character's POV, System, maybe campaign world, perhaps levels, or main themes?
- A short description of the log itself.
- Quite important as well- Complete/ ongoing/ stopped in the middle.

What do you think?

Lord Torath
2014-04-11, 11:07 PM
Sounds like a fair idea. I'd probably go by game system and then by author.

NichG
2014-04-12, 02:57 AM
How would it be curated? If you have to personally go and format all the journals for your database, it could be a lot of work and hard to keep up. Can you automate it, or how about getting DMs/players to submit their journals themselves?

Kol Korran
2014-04-12, 04:19 AM
I was thinking that I can put in it the few journals I know, and ask writers to submit by the format we set upon (I don't think it's that strict), Which I'll then copy paste to the first post...

I'm no expert, but that was my idea. Any others? I am no computer wiz. :smallwink: I'm more than willing to follow someone's else example, if given.