PDA

View Full Version : Eve online free trial question.

Penguinizer
2007-02-06, 12:30 PM
I downloaded the client and got the trial code. But in the email when you click the thing the sites says something along the lines of error 404.

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-06, 12:33 PM
...so, whats the question? :smallwink:

If you're getting a 404, its possible that they are currently having issues on their end, I'd check it myself, but I'm currently at work, so I can't.

Penguinizer
2007-02-06, 12:36 PM
Ok, It says the page cannot be loaded. Is it just me or everyone.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-06, 12:42 PM
The site seems to be up for me

Penguinizer
2007-02-06, 12:48 PM
Its not the entire site, just the free trial code thing. I cant start the free trial account for some reason.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-06, 12:51 PM
Maybe start the whole process again? The EVE website seems to run straight off their game servers so it's possible that a hiccough over there messed something up.

Penguinizer
2007-02-06, 12:56 PM
I tried twice with 2 different adresses. Ill try again tomorrow. Maybe itll be fixed by then.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-06, 12:57 PM
Holler (PM) if it still doesn't work, I'll see if I can dredge up the Buddy System.

Penguinizer
2007-02-06, 01:11 PM
ok, Im hyped as I heard the game is great.

Cybren
2007-02-06, 10:11 PM
ok, Im hyped as I heard the game is great.
It's not, and anyone who started playing two days before you will always be better than you. It had some good ideas but was poorly made imo.

Penguinizer
2007-02-07, 07:26 AM
I got it to work now. Just needed to put the code in the email in the cd key thing.

The Evil Thing
2007-02-07, 09:20 AM
It's not, and anyone who started playing two days before you will always be better than you. It had some good ideas but was poorly made imo.
I'm not going to argue this point except to mention that it is incorrect. Anyone who's played at least two days will agree with me.

Penguin, PM me your Character name. :smallsmile:

Erloas
2007-02-07, 10:10 AM

That is not true at all. Considering that training the learning skills and having a few implants will mean you can outpace someone in SP that didn't train much into that or are training things they have lower atribute points in. Such as if someone set up a combat heavy atribute build and ended up training a lot of leadership or mining skills that use other atributes.

But the biggest reason it is wrong is because even someone that has been playing 6 months or a year more then you might have more SP then you and you might never catch them but that doesn't mean you can't beat them in a fight. There are people with 28 million SP, but usually they have 10m in things like production, mining, refining. Then of the 18m they have left 8-10mil are likely in places that don't help them. There are a number of people, especially older players that have the ability to fly BSs of several races and weapons of those other races. If you are flying a minm ship with projectile weapons it doesn't matter how many points you have into caldari and hybrid weapons, if you are flying a HAC it doesn't matter how many SP you have sunk into large weapons or BSs or capitol ships. If you aren't flying an EW equiped ship or a ship with a lot of drone space, or limited or no missile launchers then it doesn't matter how many SP you have put into those areas it won't help you in this fight. Someone that has 10 million specialized SP is going to be better off and more likely to win then someone that has been playing 3x longer and has 30 million SP spread out over all kinds of different skills. There is also the point that you can only specialize so far so if you want to fly Ship A with setup X there is only so many SP that will have any impact on that ship and setup so no one can specialize forever.

Penguinizer
2007-02-07, 02:48 PM
I played a lot today. And the community rocks, several really nice people donated a total of 700k to me :O

The Evil Thing
2007-02-08, 05:08 AM
Yeah, the community is one of the best I've seen. Just watch your back though, because although almost everyone is nice as a person, as a player they can be real b******s - much like the real world :smalltongue:

Thervold
2007-03-07, 05:48 PM
I'm starting to look into this game. A friend of mine mentioned it and it sounds interesting. How much can be accomplished in the free trial? The friend that mentioned it to me claims it takes about six months to become "good" at anything. I don't know what can really be accomplished in two weeks if that's the case. I haven't started playing yet, as I heard it has an insane learning curve, so I'm reading up on how to play before the trial timer starts.

Erloas
2007-03-07, 07:55 PM
The learning curve is fairly high, though it depends a lot on your familiarity with MMOs and space sims.
The definition of "good" is highly relative. I haven't created a character in a while but CCP has increased the starting SP for new characters so it should be at least somewhat faster then it was. A lot depends on what you want to do too. If you want to be a support tackler frigate that can be done fairly quickly, but its an gang PvP sort of task and it takes a little while to find a good corp to join and have some money. You aren't going to be able to do much for solo PvP for a long while, though there are a number of tasks you can fill in corp PvP.

If your goal is to make decent ISK running missions you'll probably have to get into a BS fairly quickly and grind agents for a while to get reputation, depending how much time you put in you can probably get to mid cruisers in that time but you won't have the skills to fly the harder missions. (BSs are not available to trial accounts anyway, and you would be very hard pressed to afford one, some people claim you can make the ISK fast enough but I was never able to) There is also general PvE ratting but its not highly profitable until you can move into 0.0 space and kill NPC BSs.

You can get into mining in the trial easy enough, but you aren't going to have access to high end minerals (where the best money is) without finding a corp to join. It is really easy to get into an industrial ship very quickly and many corps and individuals are always looking for industrial pilots to haul ore for them. Mining on your own will take a while before you can make good money at it, it is a fair sized investment in time and money to get into the harversters but if you get access to the high end minerals you can make a load of money but thats well past trial time.

There is little to do with production, especially in the trial period. I've heard you can make decent money trading but I never tried it myself, it never really seemed worth it. They have the new salvaging system that I've heard you have access to even as a new character but I haven't played since they added that so I really have no idea if there is any point to it or not.

The key to EVE early on is focus, pick just one type of thing you want to do and train for it. If you plan on fighting don't worry about any of your production/refining or mining skills. Pick a target ship and what kind of weapons you want to use for it and train to that end, if you want to fly a caldari missile cruiser don't bother training anything for small weapons past the requirements for medium, don't train other races ships, don't even need to train much for hybrid weapons either. On the other hand if you plan on mining you'll want some ok defensive skills, mining of course, and whichever race you pick's mining cruiser and don't worry about weapons. There might be 300 skills in EVE but chances are any single ship setup you choose isn't going to be using more then 30 of them. Also once you know what you want to do there are usually 2-3 stats that are the primary training time factors for the majority of them so make sure you start with a character strong in those stats, even a few points can make a big difference in training times on the higher end skills.
If you plan on playing long term your learning skills are definately worth taking the time to train, but if you aren't going to play long term (<6months) the time taken to train them over level 3-4 is never going to be made back.

Penguinizer
2007-03-08, 07:54 AM
Meh. The trial ended around a month ago :P

I got a cruiser. The game is fun but Im probably going to play some other games though.