PDA

View Full Version : Factotum+Able learner=Redundant?

SouthpawSoldier
2014-04-11, 01:49 AM
Why is it I keep seeing Able Learner as a recommended feat for Factotums?

My copy of Dungeonscape says in the text that Factotums treat all skills as class skills. Able Learner does the same thing.

Am I missing an errata or something?

Pluto!
2014-04-11, 01:53 AM
What you're missing is multiclassing.

SouthpawSoldier
2014-04-11, 02:13 AM
Ah; so the intent is to keep the Factotum's ability while dipping or cross-classing. Makes sense then.

HammeredWharf
2014-04-11, 02:33 AM
Able Learner is also required for Chameleon, which is often recommended as a Factotum PRC.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-04-11, 08:37 AM
Able Learner also does not make all skills class skills, but rather merely changes the cost to buy a rank in a skill to the usual 1:1 ratio as if it were a class skill. So, if you had a wizard 1 with Able Learner, he could buy up appraise to 2 ranks for the cost of 2 skill points, but he's still at the cross-class skill rank cap rather than the usual class rank cap.

Nettlekid
2014-04-11, 08:49 AM
Able Learner also does not make all skills class skills, but rather merely changes the cost to buy a rank in a skill to the usual 1:1 ratio as if it were a class skill. So, if you had a wizard 1 with Able Learner, he could buy up appraise to 2 ranks for the cost of 2 skill points, but he's still at the cross-class skill rank cap rather than the usual class rank cap.

Except that with a single level in Factotum, you get every skill as a class skill and so later when you multiclass the cross-class skill rank cap is that of a class skill, not a cross-class skill, even if they cost 2 points per rank. That combined with Able Learner really does make every skill act as a class skill.

ImperatorV
2014-04-11, 09:33 AM
The main reason to take Able learner on a Factotum is for Chameleon, an amazing Prc that synergies really well in both fluff and mechanics.

Also, multiclassing. Some factotum builds take levels in Swashbuckler or warblade to get int to even MORE stuff.

Techwarrior
2014-04-11, 09:48 AM
The main reason to take Able learner on a Factotum is for Chameleon, an amazing Prc that synergies really well in both fluff and mechanics.

Also, multiclassing. Some factotum builds take levels in Swashbuckler or warblade to get int to even MORE stuff.

Oh how I shall miss my Factotum 3/Martial Monk 1/Warblade. Int to just about every relevant combat stat, roll, or check. She was such a fun martial character.