PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Divination protection for mundanes?

Serin
2014-04-11, 03:17 AM
So I've been playing this character in an ongoing campaign and I am trying to come up with an effective tactic for blocking at least some divination.

The character is mostly a rogue with some dips in monk, paladin, and red mantis assassin. The highest spells available to her are the 2nd level RMA spells but none of them provide the protection necessary. That and the she dislikes arcane magic in general and would rather not use them herself. The character is also a vampire (DM decree'd this to be only a +2 LA since its a solo campaign so who cares if Im fighting several CR above level) and a lesser noble with her own hold, though she has no bannermen. The whole evil vampire in a political intrigue campaign is why I would like divination protection.

Relative aspects of the campaign: We are playing Pathfinder but most of 3.5 I can get in as I've already brought in MoI and a goodly dose of homebrew I found on this site. The world is pretty low magic. The character is ECL 10 and I have seen precisely 2 arcane casters, 1 pally, 1 inquisitor, and 1 cleric out of hundreds of NPCs and lots of combat. At this point magic items are not available for purchase in any form, if I want them I have to create my own.

I plan on dealing with the lack of magic items though general minionmancy tactics. Considering I am a vampire and can create vampires and spawn under my control. The DM also decided that the characters position as a noble effectively provides the Leadership feat for free.

----------

Thoughts I've already had:

Ring of Mind Shielding - cheap and protects from attempts to discern alignment, thought detection, and allows me to lie with abandon. All are useful but it doesn't protect me from scrying.

Amulet of Proof against detection and location - Stops scrying and such but is only a DC 19 to beat it. I feel like this would be fairly easy to get around unless the person trying to scry is like lvl 4.

Enigma Helm soul meld - Nondetection would provide protection of both of the above items for 1 feat invested, but the DC would only be around 15-19 at best from my calculations.

Wand of Nondetection - 12k for 50 casts at 5 hrs per cast. If I can even find one. If I am going to make items a custom nondetection item or the amulet/ring above would be more cost effective, though the DCs still blow.

-------

Overall I am not extremely worried about this, as the low magic environment makes it even less likely that I will be scried upon by NPCS. However given that this is a political intrigue campaign and I am the evil side I need to be prepared for all eventualities before they happen. I mean I'm good at Xanatos Speed Chess but it's kinda hard to beat the DM at it when its the DM, the "heroes", and the entire world against the evil vampire. All it takes is one ill timed scrying attempt while Im feeding or in my mansion and the cat's outta the bag and its torch n' pitchfork time.

Suggestions time! Thanks guys!

TuggyNE
2014-04-11, 03:29 AM
You can try to use lead-lined clothes or similar; it's not entirely clear how much weight and cost this adds, and what clothes it works on, though, as it's essentially homebrew to my knowledge.