PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Poison Feats [PEACH]

Deaxsa
2014-04-11, 08:56 AM
EDIT2 (well, more than that, but NB2): if anyone can think of a good way to convert these numbers and feats to pathfinder, please suggest them. I like the whole 3.5/pf compatability, however, this is an idea that I would not be able to easily convert. Help would be very appreciated.

EDIT: Okay folks, i see you reading my ideas and not giving feedback! Even something like "it's okay, i guess" or "i hate it" would be great! I just need to know people's opinions with regards to my idea.

Right, so here's the deal. i'm playing a character with a natural poison, and wanted to set up a feat chain that would allow the creature's poison to evolve as the character levels up. (develop with the character). as it stands, there are really only two feats i can take:

Virulent Poison
and
Ability focus: Poison

This is because poison feats are (relatively) well supported for people who MANUFACTURE, not produce, poison. So i wanted to make poison feats in the same vein (pun mildly intended) as the Psionic, Draconic Heritage, or Abberation feats. we could even give them an alchemical counterpart.

SO. with that introduction out of the way, i'd like to put a couple of ideas forth as to things i tink would be cool for poisons to be able to do.

NOTE: I'll be putting all of the iterations here so people can question not only the feats themselves but also the changes.

-Basic damage increases (+dice, +damage per dice)
-Basic DC increases (+dc per poison feat)
-New damage Types (+paralysis or +1d4 str damage or something. this one is going to be kinda crazy)
-More Saves (like a tertiary save, or something)(I think this could be lots of fun, actually)

-Virulent Poison: +1 DC per poison feat (including this one)

-Ravaging Poison: on a succesful save, targets still take half damage (if the effect is expressed as damage)

-Perpetual Poison: two minutes(or whatever time period you're using) after the initial damage is dealt, the target takes tertiary damage. this damage is only what both the primary and secondary damage share. if they share nothing, this feat is useless. you may take this feat multiple times, each time getting a new iterative.

-Crippling Poison: for every two poison feats, this feat increases the damage dealt by your poison to each ability score by one. it also increases the damage by one itself. (this needs to be worded better imho)

-Evolved Poison: Choose one of the following: 1d4 str/dex/con/int/wis/cha damage, (Unconsiousness 1d3 hours, paralysis 2d6 minutes?). You gain that on your secondary damage (if your con score matches the prereq, you get it on the secondary damage. if it exceeds it by 2, you may put it, instead, on the primary damage. if it exceeds the necessary score by 4 or more, you get it on both (and therefore on any tertiary damage, as well)

-Fast Poison: Your poison takes as little as half as much time before the secondary damage kicks in. When you take this feat, you decide exactly how long the interval is, and cannot change it after that. This feat is mutually exclusive with Slow Poison

-Slow Poison: Your poison takes as much as twice as long before the secondary damage kicks in. When you take this feat, you decide exactly how long the interval is, and cannot change it after that. This feat is mutually exclusive with Slow Poison

-Mystical Poison: Creatures that are normally immune to your venom both need to make fortitude saves against it and take half damage on a failed save (along with any effects like paralysis or unconsiousness, but nothing they are immune to as a result of something else. For instance, you can't poison a 9th level elf druid as a pseudodragon, if your only effect causes sleep. Similarly, causing CON damage to the undead is a moot point). On a successful save, they take no damage or adverse effects.

Virulent Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
Your Poison DC improves by 1 for every Poison feat you possess.

Crippling Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
Your poison damage increases by 1, and 1 for every two poison feats you possess.
(Or??)
Your Poison damage improves by 1 for every Poison feat you possess.
Special
The benefits of this feat apply to each type of damage your poison applies.
You may take this feat multiple times. However, you only ever gain the flat damage increase after the first time you take this feat, not the scaling increase.

Rapid Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
The time in between saving throws against your poison is reduced by as much as 50%.
Special
When you take this feat, pick a new interval. However, the amount of time must be expressed in (whole) rounds, and you once you take this feat, the new interval may not be changed again.

Gradual Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
The time in between saving throws against your poison is increased by as much as 100%.
Special
When you take this feat, pick a new interval. However, the amount of time must be expressed in (whole) rounds, and you once you take this feat, the new interval may not be changed again.

Perpetual Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 15(Low??)
Benefit
One minute after your poison's secondary damage affects your target, the target makes a third save, taking any damage shared by both the initial and secondary damage.
(Or??)
Two minutes after failing the first saving throw, the target makes a third save, taking any damage shared by both the initial and secondary damage.
Special
You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, you gain an additional Iterative of poison that forces the target of the poison to make a save yet another minute after the original poison's effect was not avoided. In addition, every time you take this feat, the constitution requirement goes up by 2.

Seeping Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 13
Benefit
Even on a succesful save, targets of your poison still take half damage, but only if the effect is expressed as damage.

Wicked Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, Seeping Poison, CON 19
Benefit
Creatures normally immune to your poison must make fortitude saves to avoid it's adverse effects. However, these creatures take no damage on a successful save, and half damage on a failed save. If the Poison's effects are not expressed in damage, they only take those effects on a failed save.

Virulent Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit

Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
Your Poison damage improves by 1 per die for every Poison feat you possess.

Rapid Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
The time in between saving throws against your poison is reduced by as much as 50%.
Special

Gradual Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
The time in between saving throws against your poison is increased by as much as 100%.
Special

Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 15
Benefit
Two minutes after failing the first saving throw, the target makes a third save, taking any damage shared by both the initial and secondary damage.
Special
You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, you gain an additional Iterative of poison that forces the target of the poison to make a save yet another minute after the original poison's effect was not avoided. In addition, every time you take this feat, the constitution requirement goes up by 2.

Seeping Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 17
Benefit
Even on a successful save, targets of your poison still take half damage, but only if the effect is expressed as damage.

Wicked Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, Seeping Poison, CON 21
Benefit
Creatures normally immune to your poison must make fortitude saves to avoid it's adverse effects. However, these creatures take no damage on a successful save, and half damage on a failed save. If the Poison's effects are not expressed in damage, they only take those effects on a failed save.
Special
You may take this feat a second time, and if that occurs, creatures normally immune to the attack are treated as being identical to creatures with no resistance or immunity, that is, they take full damage on a failed save (half damage if the Seeping Poison feat has been taken.)

Growing Poison Affinity [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, Any Other Poison Feat
Benefit
All poison feats with Constitution Score requirements have those requirements lowered by two for every instance of this feat you have taken.
Special
This Feat can be taken any number of times.

Evolved Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 19
Benefit
Choose one of the Six Ability Scores. You now deal 1d6(too high? most deal damage in d6s, and status quo is god) of that ability damage in addition to whatever effects your poison may already have. However; This extra damage only applies to the secondary damage unless you exceed the CON requirement by 2, in which case it only applies to the primary damage. If, however, you are a lucky lucky duck(or platypus, in this case), who happens to have a CON score 4 higher than necessary to take this feat, you may add the extra damage gained by this feat to both primary and secondary damage.
Special
This feat can be taken any number of times, however, each time it's taken, the CON requirements go up by 4 (so 25/27/29 to apply the damage to secondary/primary/both)

The largest problem with "upgrading" poison is the fact that there's a difference between primary and secondary damage. I suggested that we give the feats a CON requirement, and if they bypass it by so much, they get the effect on the primary damage in stead of on the secondary damage (if you so desired), and if it's way above the required CON score, it'd apply to both. (And then if you took a tertiary damage feat, it would just like, have the effects shared by both or something)

Thoughts? I need to go to work right now, but i'll write up some prospective feats and have them up by nightfall.

Overneath
2014-04-11, 03:30 PM
I'm in favor of this, but be careful. Poison can go from nigh-useless to frightening very quickly. However, it's in the same field as mind-affecting abilities in that a lot of people are immune to it. Start there, perhaps; a feat that penetrates poison immunity, but has a reduced effect because of that.

DC's naturally scale with most creatures, but usually not with an ability score you'll keep high. Greater Ability Focus sounds appealing. Most poisons just follow a basic ability damage progression, so new and interesting effects like paralysis and sleep, and the ability to switch between them, are a novel concept here. You may also want to consider the ability to collect your own venom and apply it to weapons or objects.

Deaxsa
2014-04-11, 08:34 PM
so, here are my feats ideas. note that some of them re-use the name of another, already existing feat. in that case, this feat replaces that one.

-Virulent Poison: +1 DC per poison feat (including this one)

-Ravaging Poison: on a succesful save, targets still take half damage (if the effect is expressed as damage)

-Perpetual Poison: two minutes(or whatever time period you're using) after the initial damage is dealt, the target takes tertiary damage. this damage is only what both the primary and secondary damage share. if they share nothing, this feat is useless. you may take this feat multiple times, each time getting a new iterative.

-Crippling Poison: for every two poison feats, this feat increases the damage dealt by your poison to each ability score by one. it also increases the damage by one itself. (this needs to be worded better imho)

-Evolved Poison: Choose one of the following: 1d4 str/dex/con/int/wis/cha damage, (Unconsiousness 1d3 hours, paralysis 2d6 minutes?). You gain that on your secondary damage (if your con score matches the prereq, you get it on the secondary damage. if it exceeds it by 2, you may put it, instead, on the primary damage. if it exceeds the necessary score by 4 or more, you get it on both (and therefore on any tertiary damage, as well)

-Fast Poison: Your poison takes as little as half as much time before the secondary damage kicks in. When you take this feat, you decide exactly how long the interval is, and cannot change it after that. This feat is mutually exclusive with Slow Poison

-Slow Poison: Your poison takes as much as twice as long before the secondary damage kicks in. When you take this feat, you decide exactly how long the interval is, and cannot change it after that. This feat is mutually exclusive with Slow Poison

-Mystical Poison: Creatures that are normally immune to your venom both need to make fortitude saves against it and take half damage on a failed save (along with any effects like paralysis or unconsiousness, but nothing they are immune to as a result of something else. For instance, you can't poison a 9th level elf druid as a pseudodragon, if your only effect causes sleep. Similarly, causing CON damage to the undead is a moot point). On a successful save, they take no damage or adverse effects.

NB: going to change the format to look like real feats real soon. also, could use some help with the requirements.

Stycotl
2014-04-11, 09:13 PM
I made these venom feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?65399-Venom Feats) a few years ago.

Deaxsa
2014-04-11, 09:57 PM
I made these venom feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?65399-Venom Feats) a few years ago.

Interesting. I like the Great fortitude idea, seems like a good gateway feat. However, i don't like how they never scale, I really really do like the whole "+1 for every X feat". Also, using base fortitude as a way to restrict people from taking the feats without reaching a certain level is a good idea. However, having such high floors to reach before being able to take the feat seems kind of silly, after all, you're only going to be able to take so many of these feats anyways.

Stycotl
2014-04-12, 10:04 AM
Interesting. I like the Great fortitude idea, seems like a good gateway feat. However, i don't like how they never scale, I really really do like the whole "+1 for every X feat". Also, using base fortitude as a way to restrict people from taking the feats without reaching a certain level is a good idea. However, having such high floors to reach before being able to take the feat seems kind of silly, after all, you're only going to be able to take so many of these feats anyways.

Within the last few years I have become converted to scaling feats, but haven't had enough time to devote to gaming lately to go back and fix everything. Eventually I might get around to it. Alternatively, if you or someone else wants to convert them to scaling feats, that would be cool by me.

Making them scale would cut down on the list too since some of them are just more powerful versions of another feat on the list.

Soliloquy
2014-04-12, 08:31 PM
Typo in Slow Poison says that it's mutually exclusive with itself.

Deaxsa
2014-05-01, 10:10 AM
Finally got some time to go ahead and flesh these out:

Virulent Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit

Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
Your poison damage increases by 1, and 1 for every two poison feats you possess.
(Or??)
Your Poison damage improves by 1 for every Poison feat you possess.
Special
The benefits of this feat apply to each type of damage your poison applies.
You may take this feat multiple times. However, you only ever gain the flat damage increase after the first time you take this feat, not the scaling increase.

Rapid Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
Special

Gradual Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude
Benefit
Special

Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 15(Low??)
Benefit
One minute after your poison's secondary damage affects your target, the target makes a third save, taking any damage shared by both the initial and secondary damage.
(Or??)
Special

Seeping Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 13
Benefit
Even on a succesful save, targets of your poison still take half damage, but only if the effect is expressed as damage.

Wicked Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, Seeping Poison, CON 19
Benefit

(Ignore for now) Evolved Poison [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, CON 1
Benefit

Yay! Done with that (well, barring the last one, at least). Let me know what you think! :smallbiggrin:
Actually, if anyone has any ideas for ways to implement that last feat, let me know. it just seems so clunky as-is. Also, if anyone can help me figure out how the damage increase should work on crippling poison, please say something: 1 per feat, 1 per two feats plus 1, per damage type, per damage die, or something else?

Edit: Basically, wherever there's a bolded, indented, one-word question, i'm feeling particularly unsure. Please give me advice on those places in particular.

Deaxsa
2014-09-16, 12:36 AM
Came back to the character that used these, and came up with a new feat that not only lets me be more reasonable with the poison CON requirements (as in, sending them higher while still allowing them to be accessible,) but also lets you scale indefinitely. Also, decided that Evolved Poison should really only apply to damage, not secondary effects such as unconsiousness and so on, because that's a whoooole can of worms i don't want to open. IN ADDITION, I'm realized that i want to leave evolved poison alone, so that one could take it to gain a poison, if you had a high enough con score. (and then take all the other feats to make it more powerful).

Growing Poison Affinity [Poison]
Prerequisite
Great Fortitude, Any Other Poison Feat
Benefit
All poison feats with Constitution Score requirements have those requirements lowered by two for every instance of this feat you have taken.
Special
This Feat can be taken any number of times.