PDA

View Full Version : PF: The Curse of San Mondreas IC

TerrickTerran
2014-04-11, 12:23 PM
Darkness descends on San Mondreas despite it being the middle of the day. The curse was still in full effect. No vegetables grew, the animals had grown sickly. The people were desperate. No one seems to know how to escape this. There are rumors of a powerful hex by a witch who was offended but no one is sure that is true. Others include demons, dragons and other such beings. You have been tasked to find out the cause and to break the curse by any means necessary.

AngryCyc
2014-04-12, 09:08 AM
Clork sits quietly, decked out in the parade armor of the region (how on earth he managed to get a small uniform of such stature, even he doesn't understand) watching and listening to these other "heroes" he would need to learn to depend on.

In the midst of some conversation about this curse he chimes in with an abrupt "And then I burn it?! Burn vile curse away and make world happy again!!"

He resumes watching after his outburst, a blazing torch cracking in his hand as always.

meemaas
2014-04-12, 11:33 AM
Ellen

Ellen kneels down next to the goblin in response to his outburst. "Burning things won't solve it. Its got to be something magical." She smiles warmly at him, petting her pet as he lay beside her.

catman04221985
2014-04-14, 12:10 PM
As Dryden steps off the ship, he looks over the cursed city

Ah such a sad site. What happened here?

Smileybastard
2014-04-15, 01:23 PM
Theron

Theron walks around looking carefully at everything as he moves, which clearly has him moving very slowly. Occasionally he pulls out his magnifying glass to look at items, generally plants closer. At one point while in a good spot to check a number of things he reaches with his elven magic to sense any traces of magic in this death.

Perception
Knowledge(Nature)[1d20+8
Knowledge(Arcana)[1d20+8[/roll]
Knowledge(History)[1d20+8[/roll]
Knowledge(Planes)[1d20+8[/roll]
Knowledge(Religion)[1d20+8[/roll]
Spellcraft[1d20+8[/roll]

DrunkenMists
2014-04-16, 02:24 AM
Lumina and Ursa

Lumina Strolls to where the others wander about; Her bear companion, Ursa, Close to her side.

"No magic I know of would cause this level, this... perverse of devastation." Lumina says sadly.

"Whomever has caused this has a strong dislike for the people of this land for to so utterly cut off basic needs, I would not even venture to drink from the rivers, even come from clean springs or mountains..".

After speaking her piece, she wanders off with ursa, scouting out the area they are in, looking at the damage to trees, the ground; seeing if any pieces of the puzzle might fall into place.

Rolls:
Ursa Survival Check (Scent): [roll0]
Ursa Perception Check: [roll1]

Lumina Perception Check: [roll2]
Knowledge Arcana: [roll3]
Knowledge Nature: [roll4]
Knowledge Religion: [roll5]
Knowledge History (No Ranks): [roll6]
Spellcraft: [roll7]

Detect Magic Cast at least once looking for presence or absence of magic auras.
If anything Major is noticed; Following Knowledge arcana Checks. Strongest Aura would be Checked out First. Ignoring any aura's companions might be putting out, Unless it seems to be effecting the Curse's Aura.
Knowledge Arcana: [roll8]
Knowledge Arcana: [roll9]
Knowledge Arcana: [roll10]
Knowledge Arcana: [roll11]
Knowledge Arcana: [roll12]

TerrickTerran
2014-04-16, 10:05 AM
there is nothing to perceive at the moment. For the Knowledge Arcana rolls and detect magic, there is a strong feeling of nercomantic magic and a bit of transmutation.

The mayor smiles sadly at the group. "Thank you for coming. I wish you could visit our city under better circumstances. This curse is causing us so much trouble and what is worse is that we don't know the source. You all were highly suggested so we are glad that you could help us. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I will answer them to the best of my ability."

AngryCyc
2014-04-16, 10:15 AM
"Have the religions talked about it at all? Rules out divine retribution..?" Clork inquires, with a shrug. He's not even that confident in the question, assured that if churches were behind this it'd be more obvious.

Smileybastard
2014-04-16, 06:34 PM
Theron

"There is a faint trace of Necromantic magic and transmutation magic involved. How long ago did this begin and has there been any unusual events lately? Other than this."

meemaas
2014-04-16, 08:59 PM
Ellen

Petting her cheetah for a moment longer, she stands up carefully to address the Mayor. "How long was it before the animals fell ill? The produce stopped growing? Was it instantaneous?"

TerrickTerran
2014-04-19, 06:30 AM
"The curse started a few summers ago, but it was very mild at first. In fact, we barely noticed it. It was only in the last few seasons that it has grown so terrible that we've become desperate to get it cured. We know of no cause of this. It could be divine though we know no particular reason for it. That is why we have asked for you to come here so hopefully if can be fixed and we can get back to our lives."

meemaas
2014-04-20, 06:05 AM
Ellen

A quick look of shock came over her face. "Why'd you wait so long? You should have gone looking for help when it started." She thinks for a second before starting again. "Do you know where the curse first showed itself within town?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-20, 06:29 AM
Oh! I can help with that..! Hold on..." Clork says, as he reaches to the folds of his clothes, lifts them up, and reveals a large, pulsating pustule on the side of his stomach. He grabs on to it and gives it a great and sickening squeeze, as blood and pus ooze out... slowly forming the shape of a monkey.

The monkey-shaped yuck sits on the ground and Clork says "Quick, go scout the rooftops and see if you can find where the curse started!"

The tumor-monkey runs off, and Clork sits down on the ground with a satisfied smile.

Smileybastard
2014-04-20, 08:27 AM
Theron

Theron is both visibly repulsed and curious about Clork's "monkey".

DrunkenMists
2014-04-20, 09:48 PM
Lumina:

Lumina just looks plain repulsed at the pustule monkey being.

Swallowing hard to keep from returning her breakfast, she asks "Do you happen to know where the curse seems to have hit the worst?, or places your people are generally loathe to visit?"

TerrickTerran
2014-04-22, 05:23 AM
"You are not the first who tried, we've been trying since one season after this started. At first, we thought it was just a run of bad luck, but clearly the curse is stronger."

There are some gasps at the odd creature now running around.

"While the curse has generally hit everywhere hard, the school seems to have had the worst of it."

Smileybastard
2014-04-22, 05:38 AM
Theron

"Which school? What makes you say it has had the worst of it?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-22, 07:09 AM
After some time, the little tumor money comes back after having scouted the town extensively, climbing things and looking at things and poking things... it comes back and begins jumping around the goblin, waving it's arms and making monkey-noises, though with very audible SPLOOSH noises too.

Clork looks delighted at the monkey! "Yes, yes! Good monkey! Thank you! Here you can go back to sleep now.." he says, lifting his shirt so the money can jump back into the abscess he came from. After a second, Clork looks around at everyone and says "By the by, does anyone know how to understand monkeys? That really is something I should learn......."

Smileybastard
2014-04-23, 05:40 AM
Theron

Theron looks at Clork with an odd expression. "Are you sure that really is a monkey?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-23, 06:43 AM
"Nope..!" :smallbiggrin:

meemaas
2014-04-23, 11:33 AM
Ellen

Ellen shivers watching the monkey. "That....thing.....creeps me out. I don't believe it is even an animal." She shakes her head softly. "Anyways, might i suggest we go check out this school?"

DrunkenMists
2014-04-24, 12:45 PM
"Seems like a Good place to start at the least; barring it proving anything useful, we can check other places as we go along" Lumina tries to say with a sagely air about her.
She looks around with a bit of a lost look on her face for a few moments before asking.."Sooo....Where is this School?........"

catman04221985
2014-04-24, 06:25 PM
Yes I too agree. Onward to the school.
[roll0]

TerrickTerran
2014-04-25, 08:39 AM
With some simple directions, you make your way to a small building that serves as the village school. It is a place where children go to learn the basics of magic. Only a few children have the talent, so the school is quite small though it does have a good library and laboratory for practicing magic and such. "I must bid you farewell to attend to other business. I wish you best of luck."

AngryCyc
2014-04-25, 08:49 AM
"Well let's start investigating this place top to bottom!" Clork says, as he moves over to the corner of the building and starts climbing his way up to the roof to investigate the literal top of it.

Taking 10 on climb for an 18.

Smileybastard
2014-04-25, 03:47 PM
Theron

"Before you go please tell us why you think the school has the worst of it? That would be very important."

meemaas
2014-04-26, 07:54 PM
Ellen

Ellen, leaving the others to their thoughts, moves carefully to the front door and starts to open it. She then waves upwards, a small raven flying down to perch on her arm, she'd whisper to it before allowing it to fly into the building alone.

Sending my familiar to scout inside first, make sure its all clear. Remember, he does speak common.

DrunkenMists
2014-04-27, 08:52 AM
Lumina

Walk around the building with Ursa in tow, Seeing if there is anything interesting like alternate entryways, cellar doors, portals to alternate dimensions...the usual stuff.

While she looks for the obvious stuff; her companion sniffs and investigates around a bit itself.

Lumina Perception:[roll0]
Ursa Perception: [roll1]

TerrickTerran
2014-04-27, 07:22 PM
The school is empty, very dusty with many cobwebs. Otherwise it seems rather mundane. After being assured that the only thing they know about the school was that every time the students tried to study there, they ended up either very sick or very different. It had been decided to shut down the school.

Perception Checks
nothing currently stands out.

Climb Check
succeeds

AngryCyc
2014-04-27, 07:34 PM
Clork gets to the top of the roof, and begins looking around there as well... After looking for a few seconds, he remembers his tumor familiar, pulls his monkey out, and has him start searching too.

Can we take 20 on this assuming we are okay with failing a lot, and having it take a really long time? If not:

Perception [roll0]
and the monkey [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 07:47 PM
Theron

Theron enters the school and begins to look for any clues. He slowly and methodically moves through the school looking for locked rooms and magical laboratories. If he sees paper he will take it and use it to map the school to ensure he does not miss any hidden rooms.

Perception [roll0]
Knowledge (Engineering) [roll1] (to find hidden rooms)
Knowledge (Arcana) [roll2] (in case any arcane clues are found)

meemaas
2014-05-02, 08:46 PM
Ellen

Ellen follows in after her raven, letting it perch on her shoulder now that she's sure its safe, and starts to peer through the doorways, looking for anything out of the ordinary. She focuses on a way to get underneath the school, looking for stairs or trapdoors of some kind.

Perception check [roll0]

DrunkenMists
2014-05-04, 08:51 AM
Lumina

As the others seem to be looking inside for clues as to what might have caused the curse; Lumina hangs outside with Ursa and sees if the is anything magical about the school itself.

Cast: Detect Magic
Looking for Magical auras, lingering effects, but not currently worried about identifying them, she will recast the spell a few times as needed to get a good picture of the outside of the school and it's immedite area (15 minutes worth of time? give or take?)

TerrickTerran
2014-05-05, 05:14 AM
Not surprisingly there are a few hidden doors. Three to be exact. There is still a heavy necromantic magic when you detect magic. Two of the hidden doors are on the far wall on opposite sides, the other is on the floor. An eerie feeling surrounds the place as a whole. You can also hear a faint but audible groan from under the floor.

DrunkenMists
2014-05-05, 05:38 AM
Lumina

Lumina Wanders into the School where the others seem to be. "We double checked outside, Other than the stain of necromancy that's everywhere, nothing more to find out there. Have any luck in here?"

Smileybastard
2014-05-05, 08:47 PM
Theron

"There is necromantic magic and groaning from the floor." Theron looks for ways down.

AngryCyc
2014-05-06, 05:58 AM
Clork comes tumbling in from his jaunt on the roof. "Scary noises down below, and necromancy? Okay... look. I know this will seem like when I have a hammer, everything is a nail... but follow me on this one. WE TORCH THE SCHOOL. If there be scaries down below, I'd much rather sift through their bodies." Clork has now produced TWO torches, one in each hand, both blazing much hotter and brighter than you normally see torches.

Smileybastard
2014-05-06, 09:28 PM
Theron

"No Clork. We don't know if that will even help and it would likely destroy clues as to what is going on."

DrunkenMists
2014-05-07, 02:07 AM
LUMINA

Lumina unconsciously takes a step away from the torch bearing crazy.

"As much I do agree with the idea of cleansing the area before we enter, he is right; We need clues rather than a 'maybe this will end it' "

"The better question is....who wants to go in first?"

TerrickTerran
2014-05-11, 04:18 PM
down to three already? not a good sign

The wafting air howls a painful scream as you stand there, scattered about the room are various pieces of paper and such and there is a door...trapdoor to the basement otherwise there is little worth noticing.

AngryCyc
2014-05-11, 04:41 PM
"Fine...." Clork says, while moving to enter the trapdoor.

meemaas
2014-05-11, 05:03 PM
Ellen

Ellen waits for Clork, following him through the trapdoor, with a careful step and her raven on her shoulder.

My apologies. I thought i posted and apparently hadn't.

Smileybastard
2014-05-11, 05:23 PM
Theron

Theron grabs up the pieces of paper and scans them for information.