PDA

View Full Version : ABF:BtOS - Redeeming Hero

bunnygirl
2014-04-11, 12:34 PM
Redeeming Hero

“Malik!” The gunsmith’s daughter grabs for your arm. The child’s hands are small, pale, and not nearly enough to move your gigantic limb. She settles for tugging impractically at your leather duster. “Malik! Malik! I want to eat cake!” She makes big, puppy-dog eyes at you. “One for you, and one for me,” she says with almost a kind of dreamy anticipation. She points at the glass display case filled with sugary confections. “Pretty pleeeease?”

Somewhere inside of you, there is a part of you that is unable to deny the precious child anything. You step towards the counter with the soft, heavy thuds of your well-worn boots across the floorboards. You hand the man behind the counter a handful of coins, but the man there doesn’t make it to ever receiving it. Instead, the man’s hands are raised high towards the ceiling. In your hand is no longer shining coinage, but shining black steel end pointed directly at him. Suddenly, the room fills with a dull sound, like a distant memory fast approaching from behind you. The very loud ringing of an alarm on the ceiling just going off.

“—Malik!” A young woman grabs your arm and drags you to the floor. It’s Trish. There is blood everywhere, her golden sheriff’s medallion stained. Her beautiful eyes fall shut. She’s dying in your arms. Again.

It’s something surreal and you are wishing it were impossible! Trish cannot die twice! As your mind tries to bring logic to the situation, you find out quickly that you are right. It’s not Trish who is lying dead in your arms. The face of the female who is lying in your arms does not belong to your sister.

It’s Merril.

Then, a tightening appears around your throat. The round loop of a noose you deserve closing shut around your neck. Like a pair of hands holding you in a vice-like grip and condemning you to death. They are your very own hands, those large palms and calloused fingers wrapping around your own neck and pressing inward. You are being denied oxygen. Denied life. Denied salvation.

“—Malik!”

And then you wake up right there and then to a wide, teary-eyed child gripping the shirt around your neck tightly.

Take this moment to consider where your character is in the world at the time he or she wakes up. Your character could still be at home, or entirely somewhere else. I am allowing you to decide the location, what kind of conditions your character will begin at, and what he or she could be doing. If you have any questions, PM me or poke me in the OOC thread. And now, it’s time to let loose into Gaia!

Inane Gestures
2014-04-11, 02:29 PM
I quickly come to, stifling back a scream as I slam forcefully back into the waking world. Looking around me I realize I'm still in the bakery, relieved to see that it is no longer the charnel house of my dreams. I remember, I'd sat down with Merril after buying some cake for the two of us, I must have dozed while sitting in the warm sunlight coming through the window of the shop, one of the reasons I'd never really minded bringing Merril after all they had chairs large enough to fit me and if she insisted that I eat with her well, one might as well be comfortable while they did so. But I might have start rethinking that if falling asleep was going to become an issue. I silently scolded myself for this, not only was it unprofessional, it was also unsafe; a good body guard can barely afford to sleep, even at night. I sigh and look down at the frightened teary eyed girl, a look of warmth coming over my face, happy to see that my momentary slip up hasn't cost me anything more than a moment of embarrassment.

"Sorry to worry ya darlin'. Must have dozed off there for a second." I look around the room relieved to see that its mostly empty, and other than the strange look from the employee at the counter, nobody seemed to notice my slip up. What few customers there are, are more focused on their own conversations than what's going on around them. I realize there's something strange about the situation, it seems she had to climb onto my lap to wake me up, feeling her shoes digging into my leg as she stood on them to reach my collar, gods I must have really been out of it not to notice that. I shrug it off though.

"Anything I can do to make up for scarin' ya like that?" I pick her up and set her on the ground.

bunnygirl
2014-04-12, 11:16 AM
Merril will be lifted into the air like she weighed nothing and then set onto the ground on her pretty little red shoes. Then, she will promptly rub her eyes with her little hands, sniffle, and press her lips together in an uncertain frown. "Embarrass me like that again and... and... You'll pay, Malik!" For a 13 year old, the girl could talk big. However, her youthful face lights up instantly when Malik offers to do something for her. And she will take it, leading up to what fills the bodyguard's day with another day babysitting his employer's daughter.

When the gunsmith's daughter had all the fun which is to be had inside the white walls of Archangel, she will want to be carried back home where she lives with her father. Speaking of her father, Calen will appear in the doorway, hanging his leather apron on a hook on the wall. Malik will feel the friendly pat-pat over his shoulder.

Smiling, "Don't worry, I can take care of her from here, Malik." The man will indicate to Malik that he would have the rest of the day to himself.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-12, 01:33 PM
Smiling to myself, I left the Allgood residence, I'd be back later that night but for now I needed to run some errands. A bit personal, a bit professional. I got a contact to meet with, a non-descript guy by the name of Shezod. He wasn't the most savory of character but he had that special sort of look that kept people from every really paying attention to him. The city of Archangel might have its white walls and its holier-than-thou-art name but every city has its seedy underbelly and it was no exception.

I quickly headed for the park Shazod had told me to meet him at. The man was good for his information, and having a heads up on what the local underground had planned in the way of my employer has made my job a lot easier. Nobody wanted to mess with a man when the guy's bodyguard had a habit of dropping in on those that were planning him no good. Plus the guy might know something about Janus, I'd told him to keep an eye out for the man ever since I heard about somebody matching his descriptions in the local bars. Maybe it wasn't him maybe it was who knows.

As I walk through the streets I wipe the smile off my face, replacing it with a grim look of a man going about his business.

bunnygirl
2014-04-12, 09:29 PM
Shazod is a character who is good at what he does for the very reason being a very non-descript sort of fellow. Shazod has a reputation for having never been seen, as a matter of fact. Just a voice without a body whispering in the person's ear. It's almost like Shazod is everywhere, but no where, at the same time. It's no wonder why Malik chooses to do business with Shazod.

So, the 'meeting' with Shazod begins in the middle of the park on a lovely little park bench beneath a very well long-lived oak tree. Aristocratic couples walking hand-in-hand, the distant sounds of hoof-tapping from horses trekking on the cobblestone streets, and a breeze in the air. The afternoon sun casts a leafy shade on the area.

When the seven-feet-tall male arrives and takes a seat, his body and size takes up almost two people on the tiny bench. The wood and metal creaks ever so slightly. At his feet, grey-colored pigeons gather and wobble around. All but one of them has a weird look it's in beady black eyes... Or, maybe it's just Malik's imagination getting the best of him. Although there is no one in his poximity, save for the flock of pigeons, Malik will recieve a message in the form of a dark snickering into his ear.

"Did you know that pigeons are also called the 'Rats with Wings'?"

Inane Gestures
2014-04-12, 10:59 PM
I lean my head back nonchalantly, almost as if I'm just passing time looking at the clouds in the sky.

"Yeah I used to know a guy that called them that, we worked together as bounty hunters 'round these parts. He died a couple 'bout a year ago. Guy we were lookin' for bashed his skull in..." I blow out a breath of air and lean forward staring intently at the group of pigeons in front of me "What have you got for me Shazod?"

bunnygirl
2014-04-13, 12:54 AM
"There are some who have heard of your employer's inventions. A group of dishonest hunters who seek to steal which they cannot afford. They want a new weapon that can pierce that which moves too fast for sword and arrow. According to several accounts, they currently operate in a forest that lies north of the capital and make their coin on animal bounty hunting and trapping. So far, these hunters do not seem to have made any movements against your employer. Not yet, anyway."

There is a contemplative silence before Malik can hear the rest of it.

"As for the whereabouts of your grandfather, I have nothing to that regards today."

And that was all the voice had to report to Malik for now.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-13, 01:13 AM
I get up off the bench, popping my neck loudly as I stand. Reaching into a pocket high up in my duster I feel for the coins I owe the sneaky bastard.

"How far north are we talkin', I can't afford to be out of the city for long." I produce a bag of silver tossing it up a short distance in the air listening to the coins inside jingle and feeling the weight as it lands in my palm.

bunnygirl
2014-04-13, 01:40 AM
The voice offers, "More than a day on foot. Less than a day with the appropriate transportation." Almost as if Shazod was listening to the melody inside Malik's coinbag too, he adds, "If you could, you can leave your patronage on the bench before you take your leave. I would most appreciate it."

Inane Gestures
2014-04-13, 01:57 AM
"These hunters have bounties?" I say without turning my back, I know he's back there somewhere but even if I looked I wouldn't see him. I toss the bag up in the air and catch it again, then examine it like it was some sort of bug. "I can't rightfully go and rightfully attack some people who haven't broken the law, honest or dishonest." Thinking back to the others who'd been so unlucky to draw my attention, feeling the thin cheap cigars in my other pocket weighing heavily on me like sticks of lead shot.

bunnygirl
2014-04-13, 01:11 PM
Shazod pauses, perhaps reviewing his findings. "I'm afraid they haven't broken any laws. If anything, I would consider them as... opportunists."

Inane Gestures
2014-04-13, 02:22 PM
I click my tongue at hearing this "Tsk. You know the deal then Shazod, if they make any move in this direction I want to hear about it. There will be some extra silver in it for you if you can get me the news before they reach the city." I look at the bag, open it, and do a quick cursory count, then cinch it up and toss the bag over my shoulder. I'm not surprised when I don't hear it land. Patting the cigars in my pocket, I head towards Calen's place.

I Threw shazod 20 silver, I assume thats a good amount as it's twice the suggested price of what they have listed for a professional level valet or lackey. Malik would know from previous dealings with Shazod what a good payment for the man's services would be if you don't think that's appropriate

bunnygirl
2014-04-14, 08:41 PM
The citizens of the Holy Empire enjoy mostly pleasant weather. The afternoon stroll Malik takes is peaceful, if not uneventful. Before the employed bodyguard can arrive at the house of the Allgoods, Archangel first has many things to offer along the way. Aside from citizens (and non-citizens) who come from all walks of life, there are many sights and places for different kind of lifestyles and interests. There are bars that are open all night. Visit the Empire's military offices and perhaps they have work for mercenaries. Maybe, somewhere, there is company worth sticking around for. Look even harder, and anyone can find the holy city's underbelly. Surely, there is something that tickles the bodyguard's fancy?

I just thought I'd at least offer Malik some options with all his free-time. How about go explorin?! Everyone loves exploring, right? XD Just trying to bring the experience.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-14, 09:27 PM
A strange urge comes over me as I head towards the Allgood residence, they won't mind if I return a bit late. I turn off into a side street heading towards one of my old haunts. I've been out of the loop for a while, sure I payed Shazod to keep an ear to the ground involving the Allgoods but employing him full time would cost a small fortune. Plus it might be good to stretch out and see the old mercenaries quarter again.

Heading down a dark alley I come out into the bustle of a seedier part of town. Armed men covered in scars walk past me as I head down the street. I pass the Tin Star, where one could find employment just by sitting down and waiting for a mysterious stranger to approach your table to buy you a drink. I'd done that a few times, it was usually just somebody offering a bounty or looking for stolen goods but rumor was around these parts that you could find yourself whisked away on adventure just as easily. As I passed by I watched a group of fresh faced mercenaries leave the bar following some man in a cloak.

I heard the catcalls from a corner, leaning on a gas lamp was a scantily clad women, a night walker, one of the many roaming the mercenaries quarter. A good place to work as long as you didn't manage to be on of the mysterious few who vanished without a trace. And though despite the nickname you could find them at just about any time of the day if you have the coin and the need.

Flop houses sections of the street a cheap place for a man down on his luck to stay. Some of them I'd even had the pleasure to stay in, sleeping surrounded by bugs in a room barely large enough for you fit in. But I hadn't wandered into this part of town to find a weapon, go on an adventure, or proposition a lady of the night. I'd come here to get away from polite society for a while, finding info was an excuse really. He'd go and check the noticeboard, stocked with its wanted posters, gossip, and job offers sure but that was a show.

The Cigars still burned at him, he craved them. My blood burned the urge to fight simmering under my skin,he'd hoped the poor hunters would have a bounty on their heads. No luck on the matter, couldn't be helped. Every part of me wanted that release, that pure freedom found at the end of a sword. It wouldn't come. So I just continued walking stone faced as ever, until I got to the notice board, located outside the flophouse simply known as Frank's.

bunnygirl
2014-04-15, 07:14 PM
"You had me almos' believe it vas your grandfather standing in front of t'is board."

A mysterious woman appears beside Malik. Although, she's not just any ordinary woman by the looks of it. Not a loose prostitute or a up-tight noblewoman. The Holy City has seen many kinds of people travel to and out of it, but this particular individual does not look like she belongs here. She's a little taller than the average female, a little harder around the edges, and stands in a posture that is powerful and demanding. Around her shoulders drapes a soft, leather, tan-colored cloak that conceals her entire figure and hides any arsenal that could be at her disposal. Thick waves of blond hair pull up into a ponytail at the back of her head, but leaves just enough around her ears and allow feminine, red lips distract from the terrible scarring that marks along the side of her beautiful face. But, see, it just seems that Malik attracts a certain kind of company. Especially if he goes about lurking in the dark corners of places. Perhaps it's how he prefers it.

"It is been years I hav' since seen t'at old, ugly hat." There is movement from inside her leather cloak and a single arm and hand emerges to tap the end of some kind of lit, smoking object against the wooden frame that displays miscellaneous paper and pieces. Her eyes are on the board, but her attention appears to be elsewhere. "I hate to say it, but you hav' t'ee face of an outlaw." Then, almost like she's avoiding mentioning the his grandfather's name altogether, "How long 'as it been since you 'ave seen him, I vonder?"

If the dank and wrecked notice board had any use to Malik, he will observe among the yellowy, tattered stuffs mentioning large amount of coin for things advertised as the 'heart of a beast' and other morbid things including the 'eyes of a specter'. Or warnings and of persons wanted by the Church. Others dabble on about finding and returning a fugitive dead or alive in another country. Occult worship. Missing people. Some even go farther and older as as to pertain for something about the sea of sands.

You know, I could had sworn your most recent post had read a little differently. For some reason, I had the impression that he arrived at the Tin Star, which I could have sworn read Tin Can instead of Tin Star, oddly enough. XD And even then, I noticed that you added an extra paragraph that reads part First Person and part Third Person narrative... And there's a job notice board now? Lol. XDDDD

Inane Gestures
2014-04-16, 10:53 AM
Looking closely at the job notice board obviously faining interest in the small jobs it offers. "It's been years since I've seen the man. I've had an eye out for him since I came to this Archangel, but the only thing I've heard is that he's been seen around these parts." Looking over my shoulder at her and turning towards her, I kneel down beside her, looking into her scarred face "Ya wouldn't happen to know something about my grandfather would ya ma'am?"

I though perhaps I could embellish the scene a bit more.

bunnygirl
2014-04-16, 01:50 PM
Turning her head slightly, she meets gazes with the seven foot man that leans down to confront her. "I vould, in fact. T'e rumors you 'av 'eard likely have truth." With a free hand, she touches a finger onto the rounded corner of Malik's wide-brimmed hat and nudges it gently upwards on his head. Perhaps, a friendly and idle gesture from the woman. She smiles at him with her red lips. "T'e last time I 'ave spoken to your grandfather, he vas wearing t'at ugly hat and duster t'en, too... Until recently, t'at 'as changed a couple days ago. He vas on his way to some old lake house somewhere to invesigate somet'ing. Maybe, he is long gone and t'at place 'as not'ing left to it, too. T'e Empire can be t'e safest or the most dangerous place to be depending on vho or vhat you are..." She draws the smoking object to her red lips and away. "I suggest to look for an old lake house in t'e nort'west of t'e capital. I 'ear it is a very nice place to sight-see if you enjoy t'ose sort of t'ings. I am afraid it is all I 'ave for you now."

Inane Gestures
2014-04-16, 02:12 PM
"I'll have pay the place a visit, how far is it by horse?" I stand up about to head off "You happen to know anything more about where this place is?"

bunnygirl
2014-04-16, 02:45 PM
"Less t'an a day by horse." The woman shakes her head. "Not'ing besides t'at the place is a relic of t'e past..."

Inane Gestures
2014-04-16, 03:06 PM
I start to walk back down the street turning back towards the old lady "Thank ya ma'am" I say as I tip my hat to her. The gesture brings a feeling of deja-vu to her, the image seeming to match up with her memories with Janus.

Heading down the street I make my way quickly back to Calen's place of residence. He needed to find out where this house was north west of the capital, perhaps Calen might have a map that he could look to, to find the place. Either way he would have to be quick if he hoped to make it to this abandoned house and back by sunrise.

bunnygirl
2014-04-16, 10:33 PM
Malik leaves the impression of a young Janus within the woman's mind and all can be heard from her now as he walks away is of her muttering about how much she fondly hates that hat...

The seven foot bodyguard (miraculously) steps through the front door of the home of the Allgoods. Malik will be instantly greeted by a little girl who has been waiting with cookies she's baked for her everyday hero.

The silver-haired girl smiles, beaming sunshine at him, "Malik! I made you cookies for dinner!" She offers the bodyguard a ceramic dish with (oddly shaped) chocolate chip cookies. Merril isn't going to admit that the batch of burnt ones she had to pick out are sitting at the bottom of a garbage container somewhere... "I saved you three of the best ones!"

"She insisted on making us dinner," Calen laughs, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly, "But I managed to talk her out of it by letting her bake us dessert."

I think I'll make Calen have blue-colored font. :D Gray was boring.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-16, 11:11 PM
Bending over and taking a cookie off of the dish "Now that was mighty kind of ya Miss." Malik smiles at her and turns to face Calen. "I have a bit of an errand to run, I'm was wondering if you perhaps had some maps of the area?"

Malik takes a bite out of the cookie he's holding.

It is surprisingly difficult to remain in first person when doing this. I'm going to be switching to a third person point of view for less of a headache also you still haven't figured out what the edits of my previous posts all have in common, perhaps you should see what one of my quotes looks like.

bunnygirl
2014-04-16, 11:24 PM
While Malik chews on the cookie, there is Merril standing right beside him and waiting for him to shower with more praise. Maybe she'll get thanked for the cookie as well as be told how much he loved it! Oh, the Malik-centric things that runs through this little girl's mind...

Calen is not opposed to drawing open old and dusty maps for Malik. "Of course. I can find something that's probably shoved in a drawer or something." The man turns and walks towards the back of the living room. Those calloused, masculine hands that forge and invent, begin digging around junk.

Merril chimes in, wanting to be helpful, too. "There's a map of Abel in my school textbook, Malik!"

Inane Gestures
2014-04-16, 11:38 PM
As he chews on the cookie Malik begins to realize just how much Merril must have burned the rest of the batch. The crunch of the cookie echoes through the house as he chews down, looking down and seeing the hopeful face of the poor young girl he throws the rest of the cookie in his mouth and grabs another. "Thank you for the cookies Miss, they would be even better with milk."

Malik follows Calen into the living room.

bunnygirl
2014-04-16, 11:51 PM
The mentioning of the absence of a glass of milk for Malik horrifies the girl. She turns, places the dish of cookies on the table, and hurries off into the kitchen to fetch the man that said glass of milk.

"Here we go!" Calen produces a yellowy papered scroll. As Malik approaches, the gunsmither will pop off the little red paper-clip and the scroll unravels with a papery, fluttering sound.

The map observes the country of Abel and all it's surrounding towns and cities and woodlands connected by all it's roads and paths with dotted and dashed lines, complete with representation of mountains at the borders. However, what Malik is likely to be more interested of is the northwestern area. In this region of Abel are simply more towns, mountains, woods and plains, save for a curious plop of what looks like a tiny body of water.

Ooooh! Is it the black-colored font you picked up? Is that what you changed? :D

Inane Gestures
2014-04-17, 12:01 AM
Malik runs his hands over the map then noticing the spot takes a closer look at the part of the map containing what appears to be a lake. "Calen, you wouldn't happen to know anything about this place right here would ya?"

Yep you got it, as a bit of a joke the font color that represents Malik is black

bunnygirl
2014-04-17, 12:15 AM
"Actually, yeah, I do." Calen adds, with an odd look in his eye, "It's a popular tourist spot. You know, flowers, shining lake, green trees. A real romantic place for couples to row their boats, take long walks, or families to have picnics... You don't exactly strike me as a sight-seer type, Malik."

Merril gasps, "Romantic place for couples?" She appears at Malik's side with a tall glass of cold milk. "Are you taking me there with you, Malik?!" She sounds ridiculously hopeful.

Black? Like a fluffy black kitten? :D

Inane Gestures
2014-04-17, 12:33 AM
Malik pats the young girl on the head, taking the glass of milk and utterly failing to register the first part of her request "'fraid not darlin', this ones strictly business. Perhaps some other day." He turns to Calen "You wouldn' happen to know about any abandoned house around these parts then would ya? Supposedly some 'relic of the past'?" Washing down the grit of slightly burned cookie that still coats his mouth.

Sure why not LOL XD

bunnygirl
2014-04-17, 12:58 AM
"Malik! I know! I know!"

"I, uh... As far as I know..."

"Daaaaaad!"

"What is it are you going on about, Merril?"

Calen's daughter does like some kind of sneaky ferret and dashes in and out of the living room. She steps in between her father and Malik and puts a sheet of paper that is folded like a pamphlet on the table, right on top of the map her father and her bodyguard have been mulling over. "Here, I'll show you!" She opens the pamphlet, which upon further observation seems to be an informational advertisement and guide for tourists, which details crystalline waters, boat rental fees, and the like. With her little hand, she points to a photo inside the article which features the lake on a spring day and a curious house stranded right in the middle of it. "SEE. I TOLD YOU SO."

XD Ain't Merril just the cutest kid?

Inane Gestures
2014-04-17, 01:16 AM
Malik examines the pamphlet "What have you got here?"

bunnygirl
2014-04-17, 03:48 PM
"It's a brochure! Of the lake you want to go to! It was in a rack and stand outside of the cake bakery."

The brochure is labeled as 'Things to See and Do in the Holy Empire'. Among the advertisements of what the capital and the land offers for travelers and visitors, it mentions a beautiful lake with a building that was erected that has no known owner, likely abandoned long before it became a popular tourist spot. Some say it's haunted. Some say it's not. No one knows. As far as anyone is concerned, it's just a part of the scenery, like the rest of the lake and trees.

XD I don't know how to explain it any more obvious than that.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-17, 04:03 PM
Malik looks down at the pamphlet and the map spread out on the table, making a note of the directions and distance to the tourist attraction. Malik looks down at the young girl beeming up at him "Merril this helps me out a lot actually." He moves for the door room "I should be back before dawn I believe" entering his room and packing some supplies into a leather bag that he slings over his shoulder. "I just need to rent a horse, you wouldn't happen to know anybody who would give me a favorable price would ya?"

bunnygirl
2014-04-17, 05:43 PM
Calen has the answer to that. "Just take mine, Malik. The housekeeper will bring it out for you."

Outside, there will be a middle-aged woman in a dress and an apron with the leather tethers that connects to the harness of a horse between her hands, waiting on the cobblestone street.

I'm afraid I have to crack up over the idea of a seven foot giant of a man sitting atop of a brown horse. XD

Inane Gestures
2014-04-17, 06:02 PM
Malik was a proficient rider, having come from an area where such skills were necessary and taught at young ages, thus he mounted the horse easily. On top of the horse it was painfully obvious to both the horse and the rider exactly how strange the site must look. Malik used to riding much larger war horses stolen from the ranches near his home town found the horse small and rather wanting. The horse, who was used to normal people and not men who bordered on giants, found his rider rather large for his taste. It was lucky for both that Calen had an eye for horses as well as an eye for guns, for a horse of lesser quality would have buckled.

Malik grabbed the reins and brought the horse into a trot, tipping his hat to the old lady who'd brought him the horse as he rode away.

I'm well aware how strange this is, in other games where Malik really was a size category larger than average finding a mount for him was a logistical nightmare, there were situations where he rode elephants and at one point a giant demonic dog if memory serves me correct.

bunnygirl
2014-04-17, 06:49 PM
The horse, though in fact from a sturdier breed, whinnies and steps around uncomfortably at first, as it's back sits a rider who is just a little bit larger than life, to word it colorfully. It snorts in protest, but eventually calms down. All in all, it seems that there is a smooth ride in store for Malik as he says farewell to the housekeeper with his grandfather's hat and turns off into the sunset. Literally.

It's been several hours since Malik and his trusty horse has put distance behind them the moment they galloped through the gates of Archangel. Night falls over the plains of Abel and all there is to listen to are the quickened thump-thump-thump of the horse's hooves striking across the earth. Malik turns a right in the fork in the road and soon enough, a glistening pool of water appears in the distance among the trees. At night, this popular nature spot does not see visitors this far out in the plains, but no one has considered erecting fences, either. Perhaps it is to preserve the quality of the area.

As Mailk halts his steed, he will observe from the top of his horse a curious, large building that resides right at the center of the vast lake. Sitting in it's own overgrown grass that has not seen a good cutting down, it's walls have been blanketed with twisting green vines and all it's windows covered in boards and nails. The growth of flowers and plant-life disguise it as an aesthetic to the scenery and no one has given it a second thought because of that. Immediately, Malik will notice that there is no obvious path into the building on the tiny island. Just a huge body of water that he must decide how to cross.

LOL. ELEPHANTS. XD I love it. What game was this?

Inane Gestures
2014-04-17, 07:07 PM
Malik circles the lake remembering the pamphlet saying something about boat rentals, he hopes he can find the place and with any luck he'll be able to get a boat.

That was a d&d game with some home brew rules thrown in played with my friends. In the game Malik was a human warblade that used a fullblade and used a home made style that specialized in weapons of large size, I had taken feats that made him one size larger and able to wield weapons of one size larger while also having a weapon made out of a material that made it considered one size smaller for wieldability. I ended up finding a few more ways to increase the size of the weapon I was able to wield as well. Thus he was a Large human wielding a larger than colossal fullblade with a strength that by end game was over 40. End game, Malik didn't know what it was like to hit things more than once. On the other hand when he had to use a mount he had a hell of a time finding one, thus at one point he rode an elephant much like a normal person would ride a horse. Sadly never got to finish that game. The person running it moved before we finished.

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 01:37 PM
Upon further exploring the perimeter of the lake, there will be a small, quaint, little building painted blue with a sign that extends from the top of it's door that reads 'BOAT RENTAL OFFICES'. There is a window with a shutter that looks like where a clerk or some kind of employee would occupy. Along the strip of docks on the side of the building, are boats that are tethered to posts all lined up on the waters. Each of them are painted it's own unique color just for amusement.

XD Now, I hope Malik can fit in a row boat. LOL!

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 01:56 PM
Malik ties his horse to a post near the dock before making his way over to a row of boats. He makes his way through picking out a simple white one, untying it from the dock he carefully boards the small vessel, sits down and begins to row his way across the lake, slowly leaving behind the sounds of the horse he surrounded by silence and the soft sound of the oars as they push him through the water.

Amusingly if Merril had been there she would have been sorely disappointed by the lack of romance found in this situation, as the boat (typically sized to hold a couple with some extra room for a basket of snacks and perhaps a bottle of wine) was just barely large enough to hold Malik.

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 02:17 PM
The house on the inlet appears much bigger than it does from a distance moments ago. It's actually a three story mansion. The ride across the lake is uneventful. Malik will feel his boat bump into shallow land. When Malik turns his head up, he will see the golden flicker of flame light in one of the windows up top. Looks like Malik isn't alone in on the abandoned premises....

Treading through the overgrown lawn and brush will led to the front steps and double doors. Inspecting the tarnished metal door handle will indicate that it's simple mechanisms are currently in lock. Looking around from the doorsteps, the windows on the first floor all around are boarded up, nailed shut, and will require ripping away thick vines and leaves.

LOL! Poor Merril.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 02:30 PM
Pulling a knife out of his boot Malik walks over to one of the windows, the one that looks like it would be the easiest to gain entry from, and cuts the vines away.

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 02:40 PM
Cutting away the vines are probably the easiest thing to do. Afterwards, a boarded up window is exposed to Malik.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 02:46 PM
Malik grabs the edges of the boards and slowly, taking great care as to create as little noise as possible, begins to pull them off the window.

If you want it to, I would be willing to roll a feat of strength check on this I got a 70 in the skill so I like my chances

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 02:49 PM
The board pops off on one side, but it's other end still remains two more nails. Other than that, Malik has managed to not make a mess of things.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 02:56 PM
Now with a far better grip on the offending board, Malik grits his teeth and slowly pulls the nailed end of the board off the frame. As soon as one of the nails gives he carefully turns it so that it no longer blocks the window that it was covering.

I'll make another feat of strength check to finish the job

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 03:01 PM
All that is left that Malik must face is the glass window itself, the last layer of defense this mansion has. It has a rectangular frame but it forms a curved top. The window appears to be split into two halves, an immovable top half and a bottom half that appears to either detach or slide on it's latches. Either way, this window is presumed shut and locked on it's hinges.

Don't worry about it. XD I won't require you ro roll to handle the other end of the board.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 03:11 PM
Somewhat familiar with this design of window having broken into house once, Malik pulls out his knife again, slipping it into the gap between the two halves and slides it backwards pushing the locked part of the latch back as he does. Chuckling a little as he does, he might not have any experience with the complex tumbler system of a lock but something a simple as a window latch wouldn't be a problem. Slipping his knife back into his boot sheet Malik presses his hands against the window and slowly pushes it up.

true story you can actually do this in real life I've had to a few times when I've locked myself out of my house

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 03:23 PM
And, viola! Malik is a B&E master! (For now, that is.) Now, let's all watch as a seven-foot-something of a man tries to squeeze through an average-sized window! If Malik does, the window frame will knock off his hat off the top of his head and onto the floor inside the room he has managed to enter into it.

The mansion interior is veiled in complete darkness. The only light the whole place receives are from the bits of moonlight that slip through the holes and cracks of the covered windows through the rooms.

Are you saying you had a knife without at the time you were locked out of your home? XD You carry knives around with you?

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 03:32 PM
Sliding his hat back onto his head Malik is really very happy that nobody was around to watch that last awkward moment. Slipping a lantern out of his pack with a few quick flicks of his flint and tinder he gets it lit. Turning the knob on it to lower the flame and then ties the handle to his belt with a small leather cord. Malik give the interior of the mansion a closer look.

lol no, I don't carry a knife around with me everywhere that would be creepy but a sturdy thin piece of metal or a credit card will work just as well

bunnygirl
2014-04-18, 04:08 PM
As Malik explores the mansion interior, he will see signs of everything and anything of once of value has been ransacked and removed long ago. There is turned over furniture here and there and ripped up upholstery, thick sheets of dust, and moldy wood. The air flits bits of dust particles, fresh air having never been run through the dank rooms. Although, there seems to be other signs that objects have been recently taken and moved elsewhere from the odd placement of dust and mold on certain places and shelves. Then, every so often, Malik will notice at the corner of his eye a curious shadow that appears and disappears, but he won't be able to decide what or who it is. Other than having a creepy feeling of being watched, he will spy down the hallway a golden flame light flickering from within a room in the entire mansion.

Inane Gestures
2014-04-18, 04:23 PM
Malik is getting a funny feeling walking around the mansion, he doesn't like the fact that it feels like perhaps someones following him. If the meant him harm they could have easily ambushed him by now, or perhaps they are just biding their time. Malik makes his way to the room that seems to be emanating a golden light putting his hand on the handle of his sword he peers around the corner of the door into the room.

I take it I haven't been doing well on my notice rolls lol

bunnygirl
2014-04-19, 01:53 PM
Malik spies with his trusty eyes the source of the light comes from a lit, tin oil lamp that sits on a table in the middle of the room. The lines on the dusty floor indicates that the table was dragged from a beside a wall elsewhere and into the center of the room. Speaking of the center of the room, there is the odd sight of paper books and documents and parchments and other miscellaneous things being piled up and stacked together atop of boxes with even more stuff in it. It settles quite impressively half-way up towards the ceiling. All of a sudden, footsteps will draw Malik's attention to one side of the room. Although in his hands he bears a large box of papers and books that prevents immediate view of his face, behind it is a man whose size and height he cannot compare to anyone else but one individual...

The stranger appears to stop in his tracks, alerted by the secondary light source in the room that he does not remember owning. Turning at the waist, he leans the heavy box toward the side, and the man will stare at what strikes him as looking at a mirror-image of himself from across the room. Only, far less world-weary, and maybe even less gray hair.

A single, thick and grayed eye brow lifts on his forehead. "...Malik?"

Inane Gestures
2014-04-19, 03:05 PM
"Finally found you old man." Malik drops his hand from his sword "there was word that you might sill be here." Dropping his hand from his sword, Malik takes a few steps into the room looking down at the papers lying on the table. "I've been looking for you, wanted to ask you what you meant when you were arguing with dad last time I saw you." He turns to look at Junus "I wanted to ask you, how do I make the nightmares stop?"

bunnygirl
2014-04-19, 04:56 PM
Malik's old man contemplates quietly. "S'that so?" His voice reflects his age, origin, and powerful presence. It's a deep and smooth baritone, rugged, and masculine. He steps heavily towards the pile of things he's accumulated over the past few days, and dumps and adds the contents inside his crate box to it. "Ah mighty guess you've been lookin' for me long?" There is a wry smirk pulling on his lips. "Word gots to ya about me, you say? Wassit Baralaika's words?" Janus' large, calloused hands go pat-pat over the front of his body, brushing away the layer of dust his clothes have gathered. Although Malik's grandfather has given his hat and duster a long time ago to Malik, Janus still enjoys the old fashioned look and sports his own duster, although it's coat tail details some kind of interesting stitching. Janus doesn't seem to be in a hurry to answer his grandson's questions. "Ah could only imagine that one day ya could fill in my own clothes, and here ya are. S'look great on you, boy." With the crate box, Janus turns on the heel of his boot and walks into the next room. "You say you gots nightmares? Maybe you oughta let me hear about them?"

Malik, Pascal, and Jakri in the company of Janus >> (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?343261-ABF-BtOS-Malik-Pascal--and-Jakri-in-the-company-of-Janus)