PDA

View Full Version : The White Stripes

twerk_face
2007-02-06, 04:03 PM
Anyone else a fan? And I don't meen just of the radio hits, I meen of their whole CD library. Please, a discusion of all sorts. Lovers AND haters welcome :smallbiggrin:

Timberwolf
2007-02-06, 04:29 PM
Not really a fan. I've listened to the vast majority of their stuff and I can't say I'm overwhelmed. I'll listen to it over most anything on the radio but I really don't get the "OMG it's the White Stripes, aren't they fantastic and the relationship between the 2 isn't wierd at all" (has that ever been pinned down 1 way or the other ?). Anyway, it's ok but I wouldn't buy any of their albums.

smellie_hippie
2007-02-06, 06:23 PM
I dig the stripes! I feel pretty good about learning Jack's songs on guitar, and they're not too hard. 'cept Ball and a Biscuit...

As to the relationship between Jack and Meg, they were married, not brother and sister. The Stripes broke up, because Jack got remarried, and his wife didn't think it was a good idea for him to tour with his ex-wife.

At least that's the story I heard... and then there was The Raccontuers...

slapdash
2007-02-06, 06:26 PM
I love the White Stripes. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about them, but they grew on me, in the same way the Moldy Peaches did.

FdL
2007-02-06, 09:55 PM
Hmmm...I have not made up my mind totally. They're kinda ok, I guess. I don't like HIM. On one hand it's a cool band because they have a raw, direct guitar sound, and their nods to blues and garage are somewhat refreshing. But I do think they are a little overrated.

Amotis
2007-02-06, 09:57 PM
Whenever I hear The White Stripes I think of The Black Keys. Both are okay and, like Fdl said, a little overhyped so I haven't really made up my mind on them.

SDF
2007-02-06, 10:55 PM
I dig the stripes! I feel pretty good about learning Jack's songs on guitar, and they're not too hard. 'cept Ball and a Biscuit...

As to the relationship between Jack and Meg, they were married, not brother and sister. The Stripes broke up, because Jack got remarried, and his wife didn't think it was a good idea for him to tour with his ex-wife.

At least that's the story I heard... and then there was The Raccontuers...

Nah, they are just taking a break while Jack is in the Raconteurs. They are getting back together soon.

I'm a huge White Stripes fan. I've got all their CDs and the first two EPs. Groovy sound.

Beleriphon
2007-02-07, 02:40 AM
They're okay, but I have to say I like the videos immensely. The video for Seven Nation Army is nausea inducing fun.

FdL
2007-02-07, 09:46 PM
Whenever I hear The White Stripes I think of The Black Keys. Both are okay and, like Fdl said, a little overhyped so I haven't really made up my mind on them.

When I think of The White Stripes I think of Quasi :p After all they did the ex-couple with no bass guitar before, in absolute anonimity. And of course, Janet Weiss rules.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 02:54 PM
They're OK. Get Behind Me Satan is the only album of theirs that I own presently, so I don't have a very strong opinion on them either way.

FdL
2007-02-10, 07:11 PM
I think their best stuff is Elephant or the some of the earlier albums. Satan was too ambitious for my taste, they're clearly looking for a new direction, and what they've found so far I don't like.

SDF
2007-02-10, 07:18 PM
I think their best stuff is Elephant or the some of the earlier albums. Satan was too ambitious for my taste, they're clearly looking for a new direction, and what they've found so far I don't like.

Eh, I disagree, Satan wasn't much of a departure from their established sound songs like The Denial Twist are orthodox for them while still being good. Elephant is probably my favorite White Stripes album though.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 09:33 PM
I'm giving Elephant a listen right now. I'll have to give it a few spins before really forming an opinion on it. It doesn't sound all that different from Get Behind Me Satan at first listen. Maybe a little heavier with the guitar.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 10:10 PM
OK, that last song on Elephant, it was a little on the strange side. Not quite creepy, but heading in that direction. Otherwise the album listens fine.

FdL
2007-02-10, 10:32 PM
The one with Holly Golightly? Is that it?

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 10:32 PM
The one with Holly Golightly? Is that it?
Yeah, that's the one.

SDF
2007-02-10, 11:07 PM
Hah, that is one of my favorite songs on the album.

Why don't you go off and love yourself
If I did that Holly there won't be anything left for anybody else

Darius Midnite
2007-02-11, 05:38 AM
I have all their albums, The White Stripes is one of my favorite bands. I also listen to The Raconteurs, another band that Jack White started.

Ceska
2007-02-11, 07:04 AM
OK, that last song on Elephant, it was a little on the strange side. Not quite creepy, but heading in that direction. Otherwise the album listens fine.
You mean the last one? I never listen to that. It's not only that it creeps me out, it simply isn't my style. Otherwise they're okay though, some songs I really like, some I don't. Meh, had you asked me some months ago, but I change my likes every once in a while.