PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Evil Overlord

Thevoidlingcat
2014-04-11, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone, i have been invited by my local DM to play as his main PC enemy character. I will be playing as an evil overlord with several legions of terror under my belt. I was wondering if anyone could help supply a build to assist me in defeating the pesky good aligned PC hero's. I was thinking about taking a sorcerer, any book combination works as long as it is 3.5 or 3.5 pathfinder.

Falcon X
2014-04-11, 03:30 PM
Several Questions:
1. About what level are YOU starting at?
2. Are you meant to be overwhelmingly powerful, or merely a decent challenge?
3. Are you limited in what splatbooks you draw from?
4. Are you doing global domination for your own sake, or as park of a greater cause or religion?
5. Any idea what type of minions you want or don't want to have? Ex: All humanoids, Undead, Bugs, Sea Creatures, Elementals, Kobolds, All Spellcasters, etc?

We can help with specific builds, Prestige Class options, Feats, Spells, etc, but we need a little bit better idea of what we are up against. If you have time, go through our host, Rich Burlew's Villain Workshop: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html

Telonius
2014-04-11, 03:39 PM
Also - what do you know about the PCs?

Thevoidlingcat
2014-04-11, 03:50 PM
Several Questions:
1. About what level are YOU starting at?
2. Are you meant to be overwhelmingly powerful, or merely a decent challenge?
3. Are you limited in what splatbooks you draw from?
4. Are you doing global domination for your own sake, or as park of a greater cause or religion?
5. Any idea what type of minions you want or don't want to have? Ex: All humanoids, Undead, Bugs, Sea Creatures, Elementals, Kobolds, All Spellcasters, etc?

We can help with specific builds, Prestige Class options, Feats, Spells, etc, but we need a little bit better idea of what we are up against. If you have time, go through our host, Rich Burlew's Villain Workshop: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html

it will be a level 20 charachter, no limits, minions will range from gaspores to humans, my global reign is for personal gain, and i will aim to be overpowered

John Longarrow
2014-04-11, 03:50 PM
Step 1...
Grab LEADERSHIP. Nothing like free minion's that don't count for CR that you can toss against the party.
Step 2...
Decide which goal you have in mind for messing with the party. Do you want to kill them or just toy with them? Are they attacking your strong hold or defending against you? How do they fit into your goal of living the dream life you always wanted?
Step 3...
Build a character that meets the needs of 1 and 2. Go forth, have fun, be EVIL!!!

iceman10058
2014-04-11, 05:01 PM
make a bard instead, this way you can buff your minions easy enough from afar and with the right prc, still be very effective in combat without overpowering the party.

Bonzai
2014-04-11, 05:06 PM
My Favorite Sorcerer/Blood Magus/Flesh Warper with leadership and the Mother Cyst feat. He will be a cult leader who has infiltrated the setting, slowly infiltrating society and converting the willing (cultists) and the unwilling to his cause. Unsuspecting people could be implanted with a Cyst (my favorite being a cute little kitten familiar), and then be scried upon, tortured, dominated, or even turned into suicide bombers from afar. As the party progresses, they will encounter minions with various grafts and enhancements that can boost CR (without providing the PCs free treasure), and eventually your cohort who will be very tooled out. You can also blood walk to various cult cells, making you extremely hard to pin down.

To me that's a pretty creepy villain.

Another favorite is the Changeling/Factotum/chameleon who's MO is being a master of disguise. Some one who dogs the parties every step, impersonating almost anyone. The minions in this case are unwitting innocent patsies who are duped into doing his bidding. He will never confront the party directly unless the party manages to figure him out and leave him no choice.

Another oldie but goodie is a nice, old fashioned Necromancer or Vampire. Corrupt politicians fall into the same category.

TrueJordan
2014-04-11, 05:14 PM
PaO into a Blood Fiend (FF 47) or become a necropolitan if you must.
Spellstitch
Grab leadership, undead leadership (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x), and wild cohort. Give all of your cohorts the same feats.

Enjoy.

Falcon X
2014-04-11, 05:19 PM
Let me throw out some ideas I've used in previous campaigns. Maybe you'll get something you can scale down and use:
Note: Mine are built with Lvl 30 worth of abilities, but scaled down to Lvl 15-20 stats.

1. Mundon Ogrekin (Wyrd, Bastards and Bloodlines) Warmage 4/Wizard 10/Ultimate Magus 10/Brood Sorcerer 6
- Metamagic focused.
- Think Count Dookoo in his influence.
- Is the Headmaster at a wizarding college. In a world wrought with racism, as a half-ogre magi, he has grown bitter. He has decided that he thinks the Underdark is a better society, and has organized a war against the above ground people.
- Tactics: He's a spellcasting beast, able to combine spells and make new spells. He also has wealth and prestige.

2. Soyaliss Richards (Eladrin Aasimar) Favoured Soul 5/Warmage 5/Mystic Theurge 10/Wild Soul 10
- Enchantment focused.
- Think Sarumon.
- Is a world-renown politician and sociological consultant. He has reformed many dying societies and cultured into flourishing wonders. He became increasingly critical with the world and decided the best way to save it would be to conquer it.

3. Perdi Bramburn (Human) Cleric 3/Wizard 2/Wayfarer Guide 3/Candle Master 10/Psion 1/Pyrokineticist 1/Divine Agent 10
- Teleportation and Fire focused. Uses candles to braid spells together.
- think Kefka, or Hidan (Naruto)
- Is an insane warlord. He is secretly a member of a cult serving Imix, and ultimately the Great Elemental Eye of Evil. He has an arm graft of a Holocaust Apostle which he keeps hidden. His high ranking followers all carry teleportation candles/torches that will transport them when lit. He just wants to watch the world burn.

4. George Lantane (Gnome) Sorcerer 10/Techsmith 10/ Gnome Artificer 10
- Uses constructs.
- Is from another land over the sees where technology is more built up. He uses this to great effect.

5. Dripping Death (Human) (Pale Master 10/Enlightened Fist 9/Monk 1 Blood Mage 10)
- Uses undead armies, hard punches, and can enter into the "blood plane"
- This guy is a mass murderer. He has an army of undead. He kills everything in his path. This is the single greatest enemy I have ever built.

6. Shanto Earthblood (Half-Janni) Acolyte of the Skin 10/Sorcerer 10/Sand Shaper 10
- Uses Sand spells. Grows abominations that are mixed with Bloodthorn vines.

7. Khar the All-Watcher (Doppleganger-Blooded Kobold) Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10/Master of the Unseeing Hand 5
- Leads a dual-life as a human politician and the king of Kobolds. He plans swift, overwhealming, and underhanded assaults.

8. Arc Lightning (Half-Air Elemental Human) Illusionist/Montebank/Loremaster
- An airship captain and sky pirate. He was once very good, but became corrupted due to his pursuit of knowledge.

9. The Scarecrow Dread Necromanceer build from http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?214212-Reanimated-Dread-Necromancer-Handbook

VoxRationis
2014-04-11, 05:25 PM
Transmuter/Necromancer, preferably with some way to ignore armor for spell failure chances, even in plate.
Has anyone ever read Carnivores of Light and Darkness, by Alan Dean Foster? The trilogy that book begins has one of my favorite Evil Overlords, a tyrant named Hymneth the Possessed whose lines include "Consorting with demons? Nonsense! My relationship with them is strictly professional."