PDA

View Full Version : Best enchantment build

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-11, 06:11 PM
Race class and feats

I'm eager to hear ideas on the optimal enchantress. I want to use sleep, hold person (or psionic equivalents), and maybe a touch of illusion.

Which class is best for enchantment? Bard, wiz, beguiler???

fishyfishyfishy
2014-04-11, 07:00 PM
Hmm...Wizard probably does it best, but that's because they'd still have the other wonderful spells a wizard has to offer. Beguiler with a Mindbender dip and mindsight is a pretty solid option. I'm not very familiar with psionics, but I imagine a psion could pull it off rather well.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was typing from my phone and didn't see that I made a major mistake with my sentence. I meant to say that I am not familiar with psionics.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-11, 08:06 PM
Any more specific builds/ideas?

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-11, 10:18 PM
Still looking for advice

VoxRationis
2014-04-11, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure what Enchantment spells don't allow Will saves... Most of the PHB ones do.
As it turns out, geas (full version) has no save, but it's kind of a "define someone's activities over the long-term" sort of affair (it does damage if they disobey, but only after a full day, and they could well have killed you by that point). However, it's a 6th-level spell, so not available until level 11 (as a wizard).
I'm just looking at the SRD, if you're wondering why I'm not talking about other sorts of things you could do.
The fact that almost all of the enchantment spells get saves is probably the school's greatest weakness, especially if your DM is like my brother (all his NPCs can be counted on to make their saves—I've had to resort to spamming captured low-level mooks to get a single success on such a matter). Find ways to boost DC (high Int, Spell Focus?, school specialization).
Illusions, on the other hand, provide ways around high saves. You only get to save against illusion magics if you interact with them, and a lot of illusions can create something that no one would try interacting with. Thus, you can manipulate someone not by hijacking their mind directly, but by altering their sensory inputs so that the same thought processes produce the outputs you want.
If you want to be an effective enchanter, try aiming for weak points. NPC enemies often have low-level guards with poor Will saves, who often get free access to their compounds. Dominate a couple of guards and tell them to sabotage things.
Enchantment does get feeblemind, which is good against wizards and other casters, so there is that.