PDA

View Full Version : [PF] In the Jungle

Callos_DeTerran
2014-04-11, 06:36 PM
The Bambara Islands. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94dY-QxjDiE)

Dusk.

The setting sun provides the only illumination through the thick storm clouds that angrily crowd the sky and pour a deluge upon the straw and tile rooftops that compromise Port Royal, a curtain of water so thick that one can barely see past five feet and turns the part dirt streets into treacherous mudslides on the hills that lead towards the center of the port town. The colorfully dressed men and women of the port have long since retreated to their homes in the face of the rain after the day's work is finished and the only people who brave the streets are those that have business on this evening despite the reprise from the sweltering heat the rain brings. A burgeoning spot of civilization in an otherwise savage place, Port Merchant lives up to it's title as a merchant city with the slightly ramshackle fortifications that have been erected despite the dangers of the jungle so close by. A tall palisade wall separates the thatch-roofed houses of the port laborers and more primitive dwellings of the native porters from the mile long swathe of plantations and clear-cut jungle that have been carved from the Islands. Lights can be seen from candles and torches to provide brief glimpses of the lives within past thick shutters to keep the wind and rain out.

On a day like this the Lazy Lizard tavern provides a place of refuge for those new to the town until they can find their own accommodations or just those who seek the company of others to whittle away the time until they seek slumber themselves. The din of drinking and celebration can be heard from outside as port settlers welcome back familiar sailors who managed to make the trek once more to their shores with valuable supplies or to celebrate the deeds of some adventurer or explorer who has returned from the island interior with exploits and tales that are always just good enough to top the last story told. It is also a place for those seeking to employ dangerous and hardy men and women for expeditions further into the island for one matter or another while enjoying warm food and decent drinks as well as the hearty brandy brewed on the island itself using bounty of the land. A warm bonfire sits in the middle of a broad common room that is full of the inhabitants of the Bambara Islands from newly arrived settlers to scaly-skinned and prickly lizardfolk natives that cluster together in small groups among themselves and given a slight berth by fellow patrons. Here and there a wooden bucket is left on the floor to collect the drips from holes in the roof but overall the Lizard provides a warm and comfortable place to meet with friends or to make some new ones...

AngryCyc
2014-04-11, 07:00 PM
Taleah

Taleah sat, exhausted and worn out, in an off-center area near the wall. From her vantage point she could watch the central action of the tavern, while also keeping an eye out on the entryway and being prominent enough still that folks might be able to see her should the be looking for her. And there was certainly a reason to be looking for her.

She had spent the last day and a half since arriving on the island meeting and smarming up to everyone she could, spreading the word that she was looking for an expedition, ready to pay a fair price for a trial excursion, and that all brave souls should meet. She had limped all across the port (one of her legs carried with it a vile wound that rotted and pussed, but never seem to heal nor get much worse, though she thankfully keeps it quite hidden and wrapped away out of sight) talking to strangers and getting the message out that now was the time and here was the place. She was ready to see who would come to give her the aid she needed.

A sack of gold sat on the table in front of her, and a goblet full of ashes mixed with water rested in her hand. She made it perfectly clear what she was here for. Now it was not but time to wait and see who would show up, and how many of those would choose to actually stay around.

She amuses herself by getting a read on the sorts of folks visiting the tavern tonight... during particularly loud or boisterous times, she casts Detect Good and studies the tavern around her, looking for any particularly strong auras too avoid.

Certainly no need to gain any unwanted attention from no smarmy saviors this early...

Cyclopean
2014-04-11, 08:34 PM
Anne is sitting at the bar, enjoying an ale and the ever-taller tales, when she spies the tiefling. She walks over to her table, but does not sit just yet. "So, you're the woman who wants to go poking around in the jungle, is that right?" she says, eyes briefly lighting on the sack of gold.

Vhaidara
2014-04-11, 09:00 PM
Ebreloni, stoopedover without his Lord's presence, enters the tavern. He scans the room, and swoops over to Taleah.
Greetings. I have heard you seek an expedition into the untamed wilds of this land. I too seek knowledge of what lies there. It seems that the best course of action would be for one of us to accompany the other.
Ebreloni displays no aura of good, though he does seem quite twitchy for his rather eloquent speech.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-04-11, 09:32 PM
Kadriye strode into the bar on bare feet. Her short brown hair was dark with moisture not quite dry and her the loose lightweight robe in bright ref was damp in several places. Her only other visible item a smallish bag. Moving through the tavern to the bar she ordered a drink, wine or rum if they had it but she'd settle for ale. Waiting for her drink she scanned the room casually. There in the corner was someone who matched the description she heard from that trader, that was who she wanted. It seems someone had finally come along wishing to push into the island's interior, just what she'd been waiting on for four weeks now. As the bartender returned Kadriye slapped a few coins down onto the bar and made her way over. It seemed she was not the only one already.

"Evening! Heard you looking to romp through the jungle? I'm Kadriye."

LordHavelock
2014-04-12, 07:30 PM
Sir Marcus Rainer enters, having already settled his steed with the rather unbecoming stable hosted by the Lazy Lizard, but between the miserable weather and the recent journey, it is enough for the moment just to be out of the rain (if not the damp). His contact he knew to be a tiefling, and as only one presented themselves within the common room of this pitiable waystation, he strode up, removing gloves and his hood to smile as best befit an eager participant in this venture by way of introduction.

"Sorry to see that I'm the last to arrive, but eager to make your acquaintances. Sir Marcus Rainer, at your service for the moment, but let's leave the swearing of fealty until we've had at least a drink and discussed the terms of this venture to the island's interior." His tone is curt, but courteous as he takes a survey of his fellow explorers.

"Do we have a particular goal? A guide? An idea of what sort of opposition we'll face, besides this ghastly weather that is."

AngryCyc
2014-04-12, 08:09 PM
Taleah

As several folks mosey in, Taleah buys them a drink in turn. "Now, now. Lets give it a brief minute. No need to begin until all interested parties have arrived. No need to assume you'd be the last either. As for the pertinents, those can come up once I'm sure this is all who will show.

Amuse yourselves as you will in the meantime. For myself, I'm content to wait in silence."

She resumes eying those who enter and exit for the next couple minutes.

Cyclopean
2014-04-13, 12:10 AM
Anne accepts the free drink with a grateful nod, but scoffs at the suggestion of waiting for more people. "You really think you want to go into the jungle with even more people? You're pushing it as it. And I'd like to know just what it is you're looking for. If it's just to satisfy your curiosity, I can do that right now and save you the trouble." She takes a sip of her drink before continuing. "You want to know what's out there? Death, by some lizardfolk or grippli or something bigger and nastier. And the more people you bring with you, the harder it's going to be to run or hide from it."

Vhaidara
2014-04-13, 06:04 AM
Ebreloni declines the drink.
The natural beasties are welcome to try. I am meant for greater things than dying here.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-04-13, 11:41 AM
Kadriye accepts the free drink gladly quickly chugging down her first at the offer. As she did her neck opened to the air slightly, exposing what looked like fish-like gills. If a potential employer wanted to treat, then she wasn't going to say no that was for sure. Though waiting around might get a little boring, she could at least explain the job specifics while they waited for anyone else to show.

"Its not the nasties that really get you, its the quicksand you never see until your in it, loosing your way, or that monkey that got into your food in the night. Those get more people then any beasty really. Where I grew up we had a lot of places like this in the Thin Blue... err that's in air... no on land I guess you'd all say."

Callos_DeTerran
2014-04-13, 07:28 PM
With several arrivals that seemed interested, the tiefling woman takes a little while longer to see if anyone else shows up with an interest in her expedition. Several people come in who seem as if they might be the adventurous sort but opt to sidle up to the bar instead of to the table and nurse a tankard of ale to while away the evening. A serving boy carrying a heavy wooden tray stumbles up to the table and begins to lay out an assortment of local delicacies such as fresh shellfish drudged up by the local children or what looks like small roasted chickens though locals would know the truth of where they had come from. Several bananas and other bright fruit are laid out as well as the boy tops off the current drinks before scrambling away to deal with another patron.

Before anyone can grab a bite to eat though, a cheerful looking man with swarthy skin and dark hair pulls a chair up to the table and flashes a grin that has more gold then actual teeth in it. A suit of leather is drenched with water and he gives a brisk shake of his head to shake out the water like a dog before pulling out a long knife and spearing a piece of chicken for himself.

"Sarios hears that the hell-born seeks bodies to go into the jungle interior, eh? This is good because Sarios is in need of coin and there is much to be had in such a venture!" he says through a mouth full of chicken, taking a moment to snatch a tankard from a passerby before turning his roguish smile on those already there once more.

AngryCyc
2014-04-13, 07:59 PM
Taleah
As people arrive, Taleah taps into her Focused Trance to know more about each of them.

Knowledge(local) [roll0]
I'll just assume she knows most things about most of them.

As the food arrives, Taleah begins as the gathered folks begin eating or not:

"Alright then. I am Taleah, for those who do not know. What gave you any idea I was born of the hells?" she starts, innocently, while her tail slides up the table and grabs her cup, bringing it to her mouth as she drinks the ashy mixture within it. She continues "As for 'swearing of fealty' I feel that won't be necessary beyond agreeing on payments. I'll tell you up front: I'll pay 500 gp total to be split between who goes with me, half right now and half when we return. As there are 5 of you here, that works into a nicer split than I could've hoped for. So that'll be 50 gp right now each if you agree to join me, and another 50 after we return. Furthermore, anything of value we find will be split evenly down the middle. Everyone still with me?

Good. As for the actual journey, here's where we sit. I'm new here. What I know of the area I know only from lore, and not from experience. I'm looking for a simple trek into the jungles, both as a way to familiarize myself with the area and to accumulate a bit more wealth for further excursions. Maybe in the process I can find a good crew to accompany me.

While I'd normally agree that fewer members are better, I fear with my ...ah.... inexperience with the terrain, and my bum leg here" she knocks at her armored leg, as a hollow noise resounds from it, and continues "...any major threats to me would be better met with open force rather than sneakery or retreat. Therefore, 5 members to travel with me sounds ideal.

If you are still on board, here is what I propose. We get a good night's rest here, and leave first thing in the morning. I know at least 2 of you have some skill in these jungles and should be able to guide us, while the others of you...... well. I have some good knowledge of ways you'd be able to make this journey most profitable. I propose we set out for a weeks journey, a couple days in and a couple days to get back out, plus time gathering whatever wealth we come across in the process. What I'd be most interested in finding are some untouched areas of the ancient civilizations that had called these jungles home, but this close to the city, I doubt we'll find much untouched. Still there is much profit to be found in these jungles.

Before decisions are made though, could I ask each of you to tell the others about yourselves, and what you could provide to make this venture most profitable?"

Cyclopean
2014-04-13, 09:00 PM
Anne shrugs. "I was born here. I know my way around the jungle; I've been getting people safely in and out for years now. And if it comes down to fighting," she says, casually drumming her claws across the table, "I can fight. I'm a decent with a bow as well," she adds.

Vhaidara
2014-04-13, 09:22 PM
I am a stranger here as well, However, I possess magic such as to make the very creatures of the planes bend knee to my command. Further, I have a... companion, whom I can call to my aid. The ritual to call it is long, but once called it will remain and enable my to fight in combat myself.
As he speaks, Ebreloni's eyes glitter with pride at his power and that of his companion.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-04-13, 10:03 PM
"Hmm that works perfectly," Kadriye's face lighting up at the mention of exploring ancient ruins. She had been concerned she wouldn't be able to work her own needs into the plan and would have to ditch at some point. This would work out well. As the food arrive she nabbed one of the shellfood dishes, and dug in while sipping on her drink. As they made introductions Kadriye began hers with a couple of quick words and twisted her hand in a grabbing motion revealing webbed fingers. One of the pieces of fruit rose from the dishes on the table and flew to her hand. She took a bite before speaking

"I was born with magic so that's what I do, so a little different then the summoner over there. You go to school for that by the way? I supposed its also worth mentioning I'm a Turan, though most of you land-lubbers call us the Gillmen. You can probably guess why. I come from the Tulpars way south of here and are a lot alike. So I can take care of myself pretty well in the jungle if need be."

Vhaidara
2014-04-13, 10:43 PM
Ebreloni laughs at the fish-girl.
Girl, as you clearly know, power such as ours cannot be taught. Only those with the gift, those who are chosen, are worthy of the power and come to bask fully in it.
He then realizes something.
I have neglected my duty to introduce myself. I am Ebreloni Arintosh, half-elven. Scion of the Planar Mysteries. At your service.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-04-14, 07:51 AM
"Oh you can summon naturally then? That's actually sounds pretty odd actually. Only thing like summoning I is a bit of my people's lore so I did learn it. The couple of others I've met have all be the scholarly sort, nose in a book all the time. Guess its a big world."

Kadriye shrugged at Ebreloni as she spoke. If she minded the mild reproof of "girl" then she gave no sign of it. Though really she didn't. Being thought of as young was much better then being thought of as old.

LordHavelock
2014-04-15, 05:51 PM
"Can't say I know much about surviving jungles or wilds or about magic besides," Starts in the armored figure before taking a pull at a mug of ale, "but give my a lance and my steed and I'll make short work of whatever cares to challenge our venture inland. I can swing a blade and hammer at man or beast alike and have a fair share of experience doing both. Further where it comes to seeing that profit is made where profit is do, for myself and our little company, you may count on my expertise and whatever persuasive tactics are necessary."

Standing to his feet, he bows and raises his mug in salute, "I am Sir Marcus Rainer, knight, chevalier, gendarme, what-have-you."

Callos_DeTerran
2014-04-15, 09:39 PM
For his part, Sarios remains quiet and busies himself with the food arrayed in from of him as the others talk about their talents and what they can bring to the expedition. He's a noisy eater with the crude implements at his disposal but those paying attention can tell that he's paying careful heed to what everyone says and finally wipes his mouth with the back of one sleeve when his turn comes.

"This is good information to be shared between comrades, builds trust between different personalities, " Sarios begins as he leans back in his chair with a groan and pushes the half eaten 'chicken' away from him. "Eugh...little lizards go down smooth but then the true battle begins. Hrm...Sarios is another who has some knowledge of the Islands though not the same as Woodsman Anne, Sarios trades with the local savages with some regularity and has learned much about their customs and ways. They are peculiar and sometimes heinous but there are treasures to be found with them that the jungle itself cannot produce, sad as that is. Sarios also is well known in Port Merchant and many porters owe him a favor or three, he can provide much muscle to carry our gains back from the grip of green jungle!"

As far as flora and fauna goes, Anne's knowledge of what's valuable and what's not is virtually nonexistent but she does know the same basic info that most people know. That being that for trophy hunters and big game hunters, the real prizes are in the island interior. However it is safer on the island exterior where smaller creatures are.

Surprisingly, she knows lots more about the local ruins and tribes then she does the flora and fauna. Port Merchant lays on one of the few large habitable beaches on the island and, unsurprisingly, it used to be home to quite a few tribes of lizardfolk before colonization began. Now there's just the Painted Scale tribe to the north east along the Red River and the Red Feather directly to the east. For the most part, they're amicable so long as their customs are observed. Most of the ruins close to Port Merchant have already been staked out by other adventurers, but Anne actually knows of two that are relatively unknown. The first lays far along the Red River and is on the edge of the grasslands, known for three obelisks at the ruin's center and another one that's long since fallen to the ground. The second is much closer but reputed to be much more dangerous, a pyramid of red brick that the jungle has yet to encroach upon that has lead to many disappeared explorers and treasure-hunters. The pyramid is to the south east across some treacherously hilly country.

...Honestly, with a forty on the check you'll know quite a bit about who's who in Port Merchant and probably more then I remember at the current moment. I can say that none of the members of the party are particularly well known in the port and neither is Sarios but you've at least know his name. A bit of a scoundrel who's in it for the quick coin, Sarios is still known to be reliable with many useful contacts within port. You also know about the HTC's program of paying congratulatory rewards to those able to secure new locations and/or new species for study, with particular interest towards any known ruin. There's no requirement to go out into the jungle though as laws in Port Merchant are very much enforced based on a 'is the person wronged important enough to warrant the effort' basis.

AngryCyc
2014-04-15, 09:48 PM
"Good Sarios, I'm glad to have someone like you on board... I have heard a couple good things about you and you are someone I would definitely like to call an ally. The rest of you, I like what I hear. I trust that we will be strong enough to take on anything the jungles decide to throw at us this close to Port... Now, on to our actual GOALS... She pauses as she drifts into revenant thought, allowing any in the group to speak up if they so desire.

Probably going to use a FT here during this lull whenever Anne starts talking about ruins. Sorry if that's a little too meta-ish, but it flows better this way on PbP :smallyuk:

Cyclopean
2014-04-15, 10:17 PM
"If it's wealth we're after," Anne cuts in, "I know of a few ruins that haven't been totally picked over. One's fairly close--a brick pyramid over the hills to the southeast. I wouldn't recommend starting there, though. The trek is dangerous enough, but I don't know anyone who's gone in and come out again. I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone or something still living in it."

"The other's farther away, on the edge of the grasslands. It's easy enough to spot--the obelisks are a dead giveaway. I don't know that there's anything there worth taking, to be honest, but at least you'll probably come out alive. Probably."

"I can't say that I've had many good experiences with the lizardfolk, and I very much doubt they'd be happy to see me, but if Sarios here thinks we could trade with 'em, I can take you to 'em. Hell, we'll probably run into some Painted Scales if we go to the safer ruin anyway."

Vhaidara
2014-04-15, 10:29 PM
Ebreloni nods as the guide speaks.
I care not which we go to. The pyramid may be more dangerous, but that means it likely has more value. And if people have gone missing there, then we would also be able to recover their bodies, which their families may offer a reward for, and their equipment, which will have value all its own. Shall we go now, or wait until morning? If now, I will need a few minutes to call my companion.

AngryCyc
2014-04-15, 10:45 PM
Taleah lets the others continue talking while she begins to enter a trance, let her dark lord make his way into her mind showing her visions of the pyramid, and of the 3 obelisks, and finally of the jungle itself.

"Anne that sounds vaguely familiar. Tell me a bit more about it to jog my memory "

So NOW Aid Another would be superb, and I'm going to go ahead and do all 3 FTs now, 2 on the ruins and one on the flora/fauna nature stuff.

Pyramid [roll0]
Obelisks [roll1]
Jungle [roll2]

And yes, that IS a lot of time of me sitting there staring with a blank look on my face.

Cyclopean
2014-04-15, 11:27 PM
"Well, the pyramid is made out of red brick. I don't have any idea how old it is, but it sits in a clearing that hasn't become completely overgrown like the jungle around it. I should mention that the other ruins aren't just the obelisks; they're just the most obvious feature. There's three of them still standing, and one that's fallen. I can't say much about what the rest of the area's like, since I've only seen it from a distance." She turns to Ebreloni before continuing. "Maybe the pyramid does have a bigger prize. If I were you, though, I'd go the other way first. Try getting a feel for how rough the jungle is before going straight for the part that's killed adventurers every bit as confident as you."

LordHavelock
2014-04-16, 01:58 AM
"If Sarios is confident in his ability to deal with the natives, I'm sure that with our support we can find at least a few of them who would be 'receptive' to our cause." Marcus cracks his knuckles, but his tone conveys nothing but courtesy. "A foray into the jungle to make overtures might be just the excuse we need to get 'lost' on the way back and shelter in one of the ruins. Whatever we happen to find in doing so . . ." He shrugs before setting into his own meal of roast reptilian, almost able to savor the slightly gamey texture of the meat.

"I'm not suggesting we need necessarily be duplicitous mind you. Just never hurts to keep potential friends or enemies off balance, and the closer we keep the circle of people who know our real intentions, the less chance we have of interlopers. Let others call us fools for trying to trade with the savages and only to rake themselves across the coal for whatever treasures we might return with. So much the better if they try to emulate our success and don't know the whole of the tale from the start."

Vhaidara
2014-04-19, 09:46 PM
Ebreloni smiles at Marcus
I like the way you think. Get groups of the locals to work with us. They might know more about the dangers of these burial grounds.
He turns to Sarios
What would you suggest we bring to establish relations with the locals? What do they want? Weapons, perhaps? Or drink? Those seem to go together with iritating frequency.

Cyclopean
2014-04-19, 09:59 PM
Anne grimaces. "Who said the ruins are burial grounds? Well, I suppose they might be. Anyway, I'd rather not trade weapons to the tribes. I have a funny feeling they'd eventually end up at my own throat."

Callos_DeTerran
2014-04-22, 01:15 PM
Sarios takes a moment to think, reaching up to rub his chin at the question of what to bring for trade. "A good question, but one that is difficult for Sarios to answer since each tribe is different. He has never known the tribes to trade for weapons and liquor has mixed results, they want things they have never seen before. Potatoes, colored silks, raw meats....Sarios does not think we have the capability to transport raw to any but our closest neighbors, but feel free to correct Sarios in this matter."

"Hmm...Sarios could recommend transporting cattle or swine but this is...ah...a poor idea considering the hungry mouths waiting for such succulent delicacies to enter their domain less guarded then usual," the man finishes with a shrug as he finishes off his meal and brushes his hands off on his pants' legs. He gives a brief nod to Taleah before he saunters up towards the bar to talk to the man behind the counter.

Pyramid: In addition to what Anne knew, you know that the pyramid is constructed out of red clay bricks which, to everyone's knowledge, is not natural to the Islands. Scholars have theories that there used to be another civilization that inhabited the islands before using the Red Pyramid as proof, but the tendency of people traveling into to it to not return has curtailed any attempts to prove them right or wrong. These days the pyramid is just generally avoided since people have begun to doubt there's anything of actual value inside aside from a quick end.

Obelisks:Again, you know what Anne knows as well, but a little bit more aside from that. The obelisks are approached cautiously since they sometimes are home to one of the larger, more dangerous inhabitants from the interior plains, but the beasts seem to pass through at random and those encounters mostly seem to be a matter of unlucky timing.Many of the collapsing stone buildings have been explored but not nearly as many of them have been explored due to the impromptu visits mentioned before. It seems to have been a a village at some point in time but seems rather large for that.

Jungle: Close to Port the jungle is dangerous to travel through but not particularly so if one knows what they are doing. Anything brightly colored is probably poisonous, avoid the game trails, don't separate from your groups, and bandage any open wounds as quickly as you can to prevent alerting predators. More experienced explorers also make it a pointed thing to always have a secure shelter by the time the sun goes down, due to talk of 'pale ones', humaniod-esque creatures that stalk the night for any easy prey they can find.

AngryCyc
2014-04-22, 01:54 PM
Taleah

Taleah let's everyone say their bit before continuing with "Yes, well I believe it'll be to our best advantage if we first make for the ruins with the obelisks. I believe it used to be a rather large village or something a bit more advanced even, and though it has had quite a few people explore it, they usually get run off by some larger predators that travel through the area at random.

What that tells me is that if we are smart and careful, we can locate some of the less-explored ruins and strip them of anything they are worth, and make sure to avoid any larger predators that would have us as meals. If we meet some locals along the way, so be it... but maybe we shouldn't deliberately seek them out. No, no... I propose we all get a good night's sleep, and leave first thing in the morning making straight for the obelisks. Who is with me?"

Vhaidara
2014-04-22, 02:11 PM
Ebreloni nods.
I am in favor of that. I'll rise early in the morning and call my friend. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in this town?

Cyclopean
2014-04-22, 02:15 PM
Anne nods. "Works for me."

LordHavelock
2014-04-26, 11:40 AM
"Our course is settled then. Once we've similarly settled up here, we can be ready in the morning, yes?" Marcus says, eager to get out of the damp of at least his clothes.

Callos_DeTerran
2014-04-28, 12:29 AM
Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6ucF8-BFo)

Having come to an agreement and deciding to meet back by the Lazy Lizard come the morning, the individuals decide to part ways and seek their own shelters for the night. For those new to the island, sleep doesn't come easy with the humidity and constant patter of rain on the rooftops above but it comes eventually and with the rise of the morning sun the torrential downpour of the previous night has passed to allow for the harsh sun to have it's way with the beach-side colonial town and with it the current inhabitants begin their daily rituals that support life on this hostile coast. Those who had talked the night before gathered in front of the now emptyish tavern to find that the numbers of the expedition has actually swollen quite considerably, compliments of Sarios. Six strapping lads waited quietly behind the mustached man, taking the time to count the provisions and containers that had been set aside for carrying back any spoils that might be found on this first, but hopefully not last, trip into the green peril beyond the palisade wall.

Although the jungle beyond isn't that accommodating for horses, Anne guides the small group to the more well worn paths that can allow for the passage of such animals with only a little difficulty. The jungle bombards those who enter it with a cacophony of noises that quickly drown out the far quieter town that is quickly left behind by the brisk pace that is set by the guide. It doesn't take long for all involved to work up a sweat as they trudge down the dirt path that lay before them, finding curious eyes following after the small expedition in the form of a pack of small green reptilian creatures that hop along the side of the trail through the heavy underbrush in fleeting glimpses as they slowly grow braver around the various humanoids and horse that travel through their territory. Eventually they cross out on to the path itself and begin to nip at people's heels until Sarios begins to storm after them, cursing up a storm as he kicks them out of the way. It is difficult for the sun to penetrate through the canopy above and it casts long shadows across the ground that does much to hide the movements of the small lizards that continue to shadow the human caravan, picking up the scraps the porters leave behind as they snack along the way.

Still, the soft chirping of the lizards, chatter amongst the porters, and the noise of Marcus' horse doesn't do much to hide the rustling of the underbrush of something much larger tailing the expedition or the glimpses of a hunched over shape darting from tree to tree...

Cyclopean
2014-04-28, 12:48 AM
"Draw your weapons," Anne mutters under her breath as she retrieves her own bow and nocks an arrow. "I don't know what that is following us, but I don't like the sound of it." She tries to make out the shape of their uninvited companion without breaking stride or otherwise signaling she knows of its presence.

[roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 04:40 AM
When they met in the morning, Ebreloni was hardly recognizable. He was sheathed in a glowing armor, and stood over half a foot taller. His muscles bulge out far past what they did before, and his feet curl into claws.

Ebreloni smiles.
Let them come. I am strong now.

AngryCyc
2014-04-28, 07:06 AM
Taleah subtly makes her way towards the front of the group, hoping to be out of the direct line of anything following them. She also grabs her weapon and holds it at the ready while trekking.

LordHavelock
2014-04-28, 11:18 AM
Marcus travels in full armor astride Harbinger, his steed, the large charger quick to stomp and snort at the pestering lizards who follow them. A haughty and eager grin on his features, he draws his lance and slings his shield, spurring Harbinger to quicken his pace just slightly, the better to be ready to engage whatever foe presents itself.