PDA

View Full Version : Eberron?

AyuVince
2007-02-06, 04:28 PM
The city atop a volcano, with a slum-like maze of streets underneath it.. that's Sharn he's talking about, right? Is Gobwin Knob supposed to be a reminiscence to Sharn, the City of Towers?

Silverlocke980
2007-02-06, 04:47 PM
That would be a little insane.... but fitting!

Probably an accidental reference, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-06, 05:24 PM
Sharn's not in a volcano. It's built on a cliff (well, a series of bluffs with small valleys in between) overlooking a river valley. It's also quite cosmopolitan, full of an almost random profusion of vastly tall towers connected by walkways that make it much like the various "urban" planets in the Star Wars universe. Not nearly as military as Gobwin Knob appears to be.

It is full of Goblins, though.

MolotovH
2007-02-07, 02:27 AM
Argh... I can't find my copy of Sharn: City of Towers at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that he's correct, or at least close. The canyons between the different plateaus of the city were carved by ancient volcanic activity, and there's definitely a caldera underneath, in the heart of the Cogs district.

Starblade
2007-02-07, 02:55 AM
I have my copy here.

The map inside the front cover depicts that the city is built on several plateau's

A river surrounds at least two whole sides of the city. I dont know about a volcano but the map shows volcanic pools underneath the cogs as stated above.

AyuVince
2007-02-08, 03:09 PM
The campaign setting says the city is built atop a dead volcano... dead or at least inactive ;)

darkninjaoflight
2007-02-11, 10:50 PM
I'd say it's more a reference to the city of Cauldron from the Shackled City adventures. That, if I recall correctly, was on top of a dead volcano and had its share of tunnels underneath it.

Josh Inno
2007-02-12, 01:18 PM
Er, no. Sharn is the city of towerS. We're talking made up of nothing but. It's like a chunk taken out of corruscant and devolved back to mideval times with magic added.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-12, 06:26 PM
Huh. Well, I'm dumb. Still, if this is a reference, it doesn't beat "Two words: magic trains."

Sage in the Playground
2007-02-24, 11:01 PM
Er, no. Sharn is the city of towerS. We're talking made up of nothing but. It's like a chunk taken out of corruscant and devolved back to mideval times with magic added.

That is quite possibly the geekiest metaphor EVER.

And a run-on sentence.

factotum
2007-02-25, 01:32 AM
Wasn't there a city built into the side of a cliff with loads of passages underneath it in one of the Riftwar books? ISTR they filled the passages with something explosive and blew the whole place up when the invading army overwhelmed the defences.

Actually, just looked it up--the place was called Armengar. It certainly came to mind as soon as we saw Gobwin Knob for the first time.