PDA

View Full Version : Why is hinjo's blade black?

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-02-06, 09:29 PM
The blade is supposed to be a samurai's soul. why is hinjo's black.

Is it an obscure Usagi Yojimbo reference...?
Hinjo the psychotic immortal blackguard...:smallbiggrin:[/futile hope]

Sage in the Playground
2007-02-06, 09:32 PM
Please don't over equate Saphire Guard with samurai.

FujinAkari
2007-02-06, 09:33 PM
Its Cold Iron, I assume.

slayerx
2007-02-06, 09:34 PM
There's already a thread about this...
My take on it was that his sword was still shethed, seeing as he wanted to subdue Miko not kill her... not only exaplins why it's black, but also why it's thicker than Miko's sword...

Another common guess i think was it being made of Cold iron

2007-02-06, 09:35 PM
Please don't over equate Saphire Guard with samurai.
Well, Miko's title was "samurai". Is it a stretch to assume the same holds true with Hinjo?

2007-02-06, 09:36 PM
There's already a thread about this...
My take on it was that his sword was still shethed, seeing as he wanted to subdue Miko not kill her... not only exaplins why it's black, but also why it's thicker than Miko's sword...

Another common guess i think was it being made of Cold iron
In #409 it made a clang noise when it hit Miko's, so its not sheathed. Cold Iron would make since, but its still black.

WarDragon
2007-02-06, 09:37 PM
I thought adamantine was the black metal, not cold iron?

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-02-06, 09:37 PM
I assumed it was an adamantine or cold iron sword, which explains why he uses it with two hands (he doesn't have to spend a feat to get exotic proficiency with it). I always considered Miko's sword to be a longsword of alchemical silver or somesuch.

2007-02-06, 09:38 PM
I always considered Miko's sword to be a longsword of alchemical silver or somesuch.
Its a katana.

WarDragon
2007-02-06, 09:42 PM
You don't need to spend a feat to use special metal-swords in one hand. Hinjo's may just be a bastard sword-katana, and he's using it two-handed for the extra damage.

Wippit Guud
2007-02-06, 09:44 PM
If anyone's sword was adamantine, it'd be Miko's... it went through the throne.

Bluelantern
2007-02-06, 09:54 PM
it was shethed, and the clang sound was probably a mistake.

Athelian
2007-02-06, 09:56 PM
It was not sheathed. He cuts Miko's foot in the fight.

slayerx
2007-02-06, 10:05 PM
Cold iron though black would actually be suitable for a lawful good fighter...
Cold Iron is a metal that's effective against demons (or was it devils =P)

Looking it up, i believe adamantine sword could also be black in color... though i'm not sure about the bonus that it gives

It was not sheathed. He cuts Miko's foot in the fight.

ah, indeed he did... i was looking for wounds and missed that one

Raistlin1040
2007-02-06, 10:09 PM
Because it looks cool like that.

2007-02-06, 10:14 PM
Because it looks cool like that.
well, that's definite, but i meant in-character.

Setra
2007-02-06, 10:18 PM
Cause the Giant wanted Hinjo to have a black blade

krossbow
2007-02-06, 10:20 PM
cold iron. Demons gotta be fought too!

Now take that baby down to the jail cells and find out what Sabine really is vulnerable to!
________
Range rover (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Range_Rover)

Thrawn183
2007-02-06, 10:34 PM
My initial thought was relating it to star wars: mace windu had a purple light saber when all other light jedi had green or blue and dark had red.

That said, the idea of it being a special material seems a little... more likely.

Haruki-kun
2007-02-06, 10:39 PM
Cause the Giant wanted Hinjo to have a black blade

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Shattersnap
2007-02-06, 10:47 PM
Maybe its painted? You don't know, it could be! It might also be a light weight graphite blade, made out of those micro tubes that we can make carbon into now. It would be extremely lightweight yet very durable. Or it could be a new alloy...

But yeah, it's probably adamantine.

Silverlocke980
2007-02-06, 10:59 PM
Personally, I believe it to be Cold Iron. What other weapon would a mighty paladin use?

dragongirl13
2007-02-06, 11:04 PM
Hinjo's katana is dark gray, not black.

Indeed, Cold Iron is very likely. Miko's katana might be silver.

Skyserpent
2007-02-06, 11:51 PM
Sure Miko uses a "Katana" But technically a Masterwork Bastard Sword is NOTHING like a real Katana... I mean, couldn't you just use a Longsword, that LOOKS and Seems for all intents and purposes like a Katana for thematic purposes but will function like a longsword to save feats on fluff? I think it seems pretty reasonable but that's me...

Anyway, I'm gonna go with Cold Iron for Hinjo, Adamantine was my first thought but Cold Iron makes more sense... then again, he IS a prince... sort of... so he'd have access to plenty of cash...

Porthos
2007-02-07, 12:11 AM
Holy Avengers are made out of Cold Iron.
Paladins (especially those who are Heirs to the Throne) like to use Holy Avengers.
Hinjo is a Paladin (and Heir to the Throne).

It makes sense to me that Hinjo just might have a Holy Avenger. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-07, 01:02 AM
I think it is a Holy Avenger- it fits with the whole fighting devils/demons aspect of a Paladin AND if you check Haley's first fight with Sabine one of the arrows is silver and the other is a very dark grey- the same shade as Hinjo's sword.

MReav
2007-02-07, 01:15 AM
cold iron. Demons gotta be fought too!

Now take that baby down to the jail cells and find out what Sabine really is vulnerable to!

DR not provided by x/-, damage type (Blu Pie Sla), or Adamantite is SU in nature and wouldn't work in an AM field (unless otherwise stated).

Furthermore, if that weapon is good aligned, then it may not be effective in determining effectiveness anyways, because that also tends to bypass fiend DR.

Demented
2007-02-07, 02:57 AM
Blu Pie Sla?

Is that an extremely tasty dessert version of coleslaw?

Cifer
2007-02-07, 06:32 AM
Blu Pie Sla?
It took me a while to figure out, but it may refer to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing.

Wiione
2007-02-07, 01:03 PM
I thought adamantine was the black metal, not cold iron?

Adamantine is very shiny.

Mordaedil
2007-02-07, 04:52 PM
Some thought here... It's definitely not a Holy Avenger. I don't think ANYONE should have one just because it's available. I also believe Holy avengers are so special that they glow all the time.

Adamantine would be a good bet, but it's said that adamantine weapons "have a natural ability to bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20", which Hinjo's katana definitely didn't do with Miko's katana.

Cold Iron? Possibly. But is Cold Iron so dark? Sadly I have no description of sword colors anywhere. It is possible that it's an heirloom piece.