PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade: 4+ spells per strike?

Maerok
2007-02-06, 10:18 PM
Though this can probably increased for more spells with min/max, would this work?

Spell Storing weapon
Smiting Spell
Arcane Channeling (at the later levels)
Quick Casting

So that in one round, I can Quick Cast and then unleash Smiting/Spell Storing/Arcane Channeling with my melee attacks.

Skyserpent
2007-02-06, 10:33 PM
But you can also MISS... unless you've got a True Strike on ya...

Ramza00
2007-02-06, 11:04 PM
Correct so far, but let me add something.

You can also use arcane strike (feat from complete warrior). Its a free action and you can use it multiple times per round up to your bab. It affects all attacks made with one weapon (so two weapons don't apply). The attack bonus granted does not stack with multiple "burnings of the spell", but the attack damage does. Thus with burning 10 2nd lvl slots a duskblade can get an +2 attack bonus and 20d4 extra damage for all 4 attacks with his 2 handed weapon.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-06, 11:42 PM
You can also get an intelligent item (by way of Item Familiar or simply acquiring one) and have it cast another spell on hit.

There's something quite satisfying about swinging a sword and hitting your target with hold person, reduce person, combust, vampiric touch, and shocking grasp in one go.

Ramza00
2007-02-06, 11:44 PM
Correction, +2 attack bonus and 20d4 extra damage for all 5 attacks (4 +1 haste) with his 2 handed weapon.

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-07, 01:45 AM
Ahh, but if you have TWF, do you burn 1 spell or 2 for Arcane Channelling? :P

nveinus
2007-02-07, 02:46 AM
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while now and I cant seem to figure out arcane channeling with a full attack.
Duskblade A is channeling shocking grasp and hits an ogre three times. Does the ogre get hit with 3 shocking grasps? What if the duskblade was duel wielding. Would the off hand also get the benefit of the channeling?

The_Snark
2007-02-07, 02:48 AM
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while now and I cant seem to figure out arcane channeling with a full attack.
Duskblade A is channeling shocking grasp and hits an ogre three times. Does the ogre get hit with 3 shocking grasps? What if the duskblade was duel wielding. Would the off hand also get the benefit of the channeling?

Yes on both counts. It's nice, but it hurts more with vampiric touch.

Problem with duskblades and two-weapon fighting is that they can't attack with two weapons and arcane channel at the same time until level 13.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-07, 08:13 AM
Indeed, but until then you use a 2h weapon, since the only feat you really need for that is Power Attack (and in a normal game you can get away without that too since you have the spell damage).

its_all_ogre
2007-02-09, 10:08 AM
the thing to remember is the holding the charge rule.
you cast a touch based spell, until you use it you are holding the charge.
if you cast another spell while holding the charge the held spell is lost.p176 phb
so no shocking grasp into sword then cast true strike and attack.
true strike or shocking grasp.
smiting spell is a rubbish feat for a duskblade, you get arcane channelling anyway at level 3 which is before you can use smiting spell feat anyway(except on a level 0 spell) so what would be the point?
this is in fact an important balancing point of the duskblade.
the spell storing weapon would work however, personally i think its a waste of a +1 ability for a duskblade, you can do this anyway.
quick casting, yes but see holding the charge, you would have to have already discharged the 'held' spell before casting the quickened spell, so a quickened melee attack spell would be pointless imo.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-09, 10:41 AM
You could cast a Smiting Spell into your sword, cast True Strike then attack, Arcane Channeling another spell. If your weapon is Spell Storing you can use this too. Quick cast gets you another spell, but I'm not sure whether touching someone comes as part of the swift action to cast a quickened shocking grasp - I'd imagine not, but you'd have to check.

You're not holding any charges I think.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 10:52 AM
the thing to remember is the holding the charge rule.
you cast a touch based spell, until you use it you are holding the charge.
if you cast another spell while holding the charge the held spell is lost.p176 phb
so no shocking grasp into sword then cast true strike and attack.
true strike or shocking grasp.
smiting spell is a rubbish feat for a duskblade, you get arcane channelling anyway at level 3 which is before you can use smiting spell feat anyway(except on a level 0 spell) so what would be the point?
this is in fact an important balancing point of the duskblade.
the spell storing weapon would work however, personally i think its a waste of a +1 ability for a duskblade, you can do this anyway.
quick casting, yes but see holding the charge, you would have to have already discharged the 'held' spell before casting the quickened spell, so a quickened melee attack spell would be pointless imo.
Um, Smiting Spell charges your weapon, while Arcane Channeling does not. Further, True Strike doesn't take up your "holding a charge" slot.

So: Spell-storing weapon + Smiting Spell + Arcane Channeling + Intelligent Item = 4 spells.

its_all_ogre
2007-02-09, 12:21 PM
true strike does not mean you are holding the charge, true.

so you could cast true strike and then shocking grasp, but not the other way round.
smiting spell does not say that you ar not considered to be holding the charge.
'spell with a range of touch transfers its energy from your hand to a weapon that you hold. next time that you strike an opponent with that weapon the spell discharges'
it's a bit ambiguous, mind you i would allow it.
quickened casting again, as i said, yes you can do it, but if you are holding the charge you would have to cast it after your attacks, so it would not be included within those attacks.
so you could, for example, cast true strike, next round move in and channel shocking grasp(as a spell) (add in a spell stored from the store spell weapon ability if necessary and/or a smiting meta-magiced spell) and then cast chain lightning!
but you could not cast shocking grasp, move in and quicken cast true strike as this would cause shocking grasp to be lost.
so pretty much its about the order you do them in.

Maerok
2007-02-09, 05:59 PM
I've been trying to come up with a sort of duelist Duskblade, one that takes advantage of Quick Casting and spell-infused attacks to put up a good fight.

So far, for feats, I've picked out (for an eventual Duskblade 20, Human):
Arcane Strike
Improved Counterspell
Dampen Spell
Arcane Disciple (War and Strength)
Smiting Spell
Arcane Mastery
Vatic Gaze (always thought it was pretty cool, but not a necessity)
Weapon Focus (Longsword)

Ramza00
2007-02-10, 11:48 AM
You can also do occular spell for 2 more spells per round

Ikkitosen
2007-02-10, 12:20 PM
You can also do occular spell for 2 more spells per round

Releasing your Ocular spells is a full round action.