PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Cabinet Trickster's Change Shape and Humanoid special attacks

Jeff the Green
2014-04-12, 02:26 PM
Working on my race handbook, I was delving through the Changeling-only PrCs and saw the Cabinet Trickster, which I'd never paid much attention to. The Thought Tricks are cool, but what caught my eye was Change Shape:

At 5th level, you gain the ability to assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid, gaining the size, natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of your new form and losing any such abilities granted by your native form. You can remain in this humanoid form until you choose to assume a new one.

Am I right in thinking that, since you're not disallowed from taking templated forms like most similar abilities, this would get you trip from a werewolf, pounce from a weredeinonychus, or improved grab from a werebear (black bear)? This would seem to be really cool and not a little powerful.

Piggy Knowles
2014-04-12, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately, no. It references the Change Shape ability in the MM (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape), which specifically says you cannot choose a templated form.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-12, 02:51 PM
Drat. I wasn't reading closely enough, I guess.

I suppose I have a new question, then: what good special attacks do humanoids have?