PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Is Vaarsuvius pretty fat?

CaDzilla
2014-04-12, 02:38 PM
Is Vaarsuvius less like the stereotypical elf in terms of androgyny and more like It's Pat?

Loreweaver15
2014-04-12, 04:01 PM
Is Vaarsuvius less like the stereotypical elf in terms of androgyny and more like It's Pat?

How did you come to this actively contradicted (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html) conclusion?

Why did you come to this actively contradicted conclusion?

What's an "It's Pat"?

Kish
2014-04-12, 04:30 PM
What's an "It's Pat"?
Ask Belkar. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0428.html)

Domino Quartz
2014-04-12, 04:33 PM
CaDzilla has a history of making threads like this. Not a very long one, but it's definitely there.

DaggerPen
2014-04-12, 04:33 PM
What's an "It's Pat"?

It's an old Saturday Night Live recurring sketch about the androgyny of a character, Pat, who was on the husky side (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_%28Saturday_Night_Live%29).

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-12, 05:01 PM

No. No they are not.

BirdHarvester
2014-04-12, 10:57 PM
According to Origins, V is 39kg at 151cm. That's tiny.

Cavenskull
2014-04-12, 11:05 PM
How did you come to this actively contradicted (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html) conclusion?
Overweight people can have delicate body parts. At any rate, it's hard to say it's actively contradicted when we can see that a strong fighter turned into a female is noticeably thinner than Vaarsuvius (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0248.html). Before anyone claims that the robe conceals Vaarsuvius' contours, note that the drawstring on Vaarsuvius' robes indicates a larger midsection than what is seen on Miko, Haley, and female Roy, despite the fact that all three of those characters are taller than Vaarsuvius. And despite having similar attire, Laurin is also visibly thinner than Vaarsuvius (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html).

Why did you come to this actively contradicted conclusion?
It probably has something to do with this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-The-Order-of-the-Stick).

oppyu
2014-04-12, 11:14 PM
Seconded. To make it simpler for anyone who isn't lucky enough to live with the metric system, that's 4'11" and 85lbs, which would make V underweight by human standards.

Domino Quartz
2014-04-12, 11:56 PM
It probably has something to do with this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-The-Order-of-the-Stick).

Your link is to the "The Order of the Stick" forum. I don't know what that has to do with what Loreweaver was asking about.

Cavenskull
2014-04-13, 12:23 AM
Your link is to the "The Order of the Stick" forum. I don't know what that has to do with what Loreweaver was asking about.
I linked to the forum, because CaDzilla is asking his question in a place that's infamous for crazy theories and bizarre questions. I could have just responded with, "because he could", or "because he's here", but that's no fun.

Themrys
2014-04-13, 08:05 AM

According to the Body Mass Index, Vaarsuvius is fatter than I am. (I weigh more, but am taller) I'm underweight, but not seriously so. Which makes it entirely possible for those female characters to be thinner than V without hir being even close to what most people consider "fat".

However, the question remains why all those humans are thinner than an elf. There must have been a famine. That somehow only affected the female human population.

And somehow, all those women still have visible boobs. And wear bras. All of them. Why didn't I realize that before? That's somewhat anachronistic. :smalleek:

oppyu
2014-04-13, 08:23 AM
According to the Body Mass Index, Vaarsuvius is fatter than I am. (I weigh more, but am taller) I'm underweight, but not seriously so. Which makes it entirely possible for those female characters to be thinner than V without hir being even close to what most people consider "fat".

However, the question remains why all those humans are thinner than an elf. There must have been a famine. That somehow only affected the female human population.

And somehow, all those women still have visible boobs. And wear bras. All of them. Why didn't I realize that before? That's somewhat anachronistic. :smalleek:
Hmmm... Assuming that it's not just an art thing and the Giant meant to indicate that Vaarsuvius is heavier-set than your average human (because really, it's almost certainly an art thing borne from the Giant not taking respective physiques into account when he was designing his stick figures), maybe V lied about ver weight? A lifestyle of deeply antisocial research and non-melee combat does seem to lend itself to unwanted weight gain, even if V is also a vegetarian. Haley, Miko and Lady!Roy were all active and likely in very good shape.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-13, 08:26 AM
I think it may be that Vaarsuvius's robes are a little more obscuring than the clothing that other people, especially humans, wear. Perhaps they are what give off the appearance that they are fatter, despite what Vaarsuvius might say.

Also, OOTS is already fairly anachronistic, ecspecially in Cliffport.

Gift Jeraff
2014-04-13, 08:29 AM
V's age was messed up in Origin, so I'm guessing Rich just threw numbers in there and it's best not to give much thought to it.

Themrys
2014-04-13, 10:55 AM
A lifestyle of deeply antisocial research and non-melee combat does seem to lend itself to unwanted weight gain, even if V is also a vegetarian. Haley, Miko and Lady!Roy were all active and likely in very good shape.

The influence of lifestyle on weight is often exaggerated. My lifestyle is about as close to V's as you can get (I prefer to sit somewhere reading a book, I sometimes forget to eat while reading, and I am vegetarian). I am very thin, which is why I always imagined V to look like that, too.

V has only been shown eating healthy food, too, so a malfunction of hir noble elven metabolism caused by high fructose corn syrup and the like seems unlikely.

Also, if V was unusually fat for an elf, wouldn't someone have mentioned that by now?

My conclusion is that, if V is indeed fat, so are many other elves.

Koo Rehtorb
2014-04-13, 12:05 PM
I hear V is so fat that when she sits around the wizard's tower she sits around the wizard's tower, if you know what I mean.

Vinyadan
2014-04-13, 12:38 PM

I don't know about the middle ages, but in antiquity women wore a band of tissue knotted under their bosom to keep it raised. Which usually ended up as a comical detail in naughty books, with the woman binding the male victim with the band and then hitting him with a stick.

However, I don't know how well it worked, given that the historical meaning of parthenos (ancient greek for virgin or young girl) was something like "the one with a high bosom".

Themrys
2014-04-13, 01:21 PM
I don't know about the middle ages, but in antiquity women wore a band of tissue knotted under their bosom to keep it raised. Which usually ended up as a comical detail in naughty books, with the woman binding the male victim with the band and then hitting him with a stick.

However, I don't know how well it worked, given that the historical meaning of parthenos (ancient greek for virgin or young girl) was something like "the one with a high bosom".

I'm quite sure it didn't work well enough to give them all a bosom that looks like two orange halves on the chest, i.e. not affected by gravity at all. Miko's armour might do that trick, though.
Actually, the bosoms of the OotS women are creepy. Since no one has a neck, the chest comes directly below the chin, which works okay for the men, but the women ... you sometimes can't tell whether it's supposed to be a shoulder or a breast.

Codex
2014-04-13, 03:30 PM
I'm quite sure it didn't work well enough to give them all a bosom that looks like two orange halves on the chest, i.e. not affected by gravity at all. Miko's armour might do that trick, though.
Actually, the bosoms of the OotS women are creepy. Since no one has a neck, the chest comes directly below the chin, which works okay for the men, but the women ... you sometimes can't tell whether it's supposed to be a shoulder or a breast.

Dear Thor, why did you have to give me that image?

Vinyadan
2014-04-13, 03:37 PM
Dear Thor, why did you have to give me that image?

Maybe it's just a couple of really developed goitres.

Cavenskull
2014-04-13, 03:42 PM
I think it may be that Vaarsuvius's robes are a little more obscuring than the clothing that other people, especially humans, wear. Perhaps they are what give off the appearance that they are fatter, despite what Vaarsuvius might say.
Even though I've already posted a link that shows that Laurin wearing a robe looks thinner than Vaarsuvius wearing a robe, despite Vaarsuvius' robe having a drawstring that allows the robe to be cinched up close to the body and Laurin's doesn't?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-13, 03:59 PM
Even though I've already posted a link that shows that Laurin wearing a robe looks thinner than Vaarsuvius wearing a robe, despite Vaarsuvius' robe having a drawstring that allows the robe to be cinched up close to the body and Laurin's doesn't?

Sorry, I didn't see that link.

Loreweaver15
2014-04-13, 04:13 PM
We already know what a fat person in robes looks like. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html)

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-13, 04:28 PM
We already know what a fat person in robes looks like. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html)

So, it seems that this means that Laurin is just really skinny. Or perhaps Vaarsuvius has no idea how to use that drawstring?

137beth
2014-04-13, 04:38 PM
V is 2-dimensional! Where do you come up with these crazy ideas?

Gift Jeraff
2014-04-13, 04:49 PM
V is 2-dimensional! Where do you come up with these crazy ideas?

Stacking this many spoiler boxes should be illegal.

Kish
2014-04-13, 04:55 PM
Worse yet, some people even do it in their sigs!

DaggerPen
2014-04-14, 01:08 AM

I can't tell if this is intentional irony or a serious case of pot and kettle here.

Bulldog Psion
2014-04-14, 03:15 AM
I can't tell if this is intentional irony or a serious case of pot and kettle here.

Considering it's Gift Jeraff ... I'd go with irony until further notice. :smallbiggrin:

thereaper
2014-04-16, 05:25 AM

Xykon's robe is puffed out just like V's, and he's a skeleton. Therefore, I'm pretty sure it's an art thing.

Cavenskull
2014-04-16, 08:25 PM
Xykon's robe is puffed out just like V's, and he's a skeleton. Therefore, I'm pretty sure it's an art thing.
So you refuse to acknowledge that Xykon is big-boned? :smallwink:

Psyren
2014-04-17, 09:26 AM
Doesn't he call Elan and Durkon "the albatross around his slender elven neck" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html) just before ragequitting the group?

Slender, adj: long and thin.

AstralFire
2014-04-17, 09:46 AM
Layered robes.

zimmerwald1915
2014-04-17, 09:51 AM
Layered robes.
Would look sweet in the new art style, if true.

AstralFire
2014-04-17, 10:25 AM
Would look sweet in the new art style, if true.

I won't hold my breath, hah. I think the real answer is that Vaarsuvius originated during the comic's simplest phase of art, and variations for size are a relatively recent phenomenon there. But it would be cool if he wore layered robes, I agree.

Cavenskull
2014-04-17, 03:10 PM
Even when naked, Vaarsuvius' torso is about the same width as Elan's and Roy's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html).

zimmerwald1915
2014-04-17, 03:32 PM
Even when naked, Vaarsuvius' torso is about the same width as Elan's and Roy's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html).
That's one heck of a magic trick, actually, considering the very noticeable difference between Elan's and Roy's body widths.

Cavenskull
2014-04-17, 04:24 PM
That's one heck of a magic trick, actually, considering the very noticeable difference between Elan's and Roy's body widths.
It's not that much of a magic trick. Vaarsuvius lands between the two in terms of width, so Vaarsuvius is more similar in size to Elan and Roy than Elan and Roy are to each other. If I actually count pixels, Vaarsuvius' torso measures 25px wide, versus Elan's 23px, Roy's 29px, and Durkon's 28px. Even at the widest point of Haley's torso (which isn't her bust), she is thinner than Vaarsuvius.