PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A The Amulet of Assured Annihilation?

Afgncaap5
2014-04-12, 03:16 PM
So, I just learned about the 1d2 Crusader and, in a weird way, it made me think of a plot that feels like something from a bad martial arts movie. I'm curious to know if it works by RAW, though.

Effectively, I'm trying to figure out what restrictions exist for using a Devoted Spirit Amulet (effectively a Crown of White Ravens but for the Devoted Spirit discipline). Am I right in thinking that the only prerequisites are the same as what it would take to learn the maneuver regularly? Like... Aura of Chaos has the prerequisite of knowing two Devoted Spirit maneuvers before you can learn and use it. So would an Amulet of Devoted Spirit that had Aura of Chaos upon it only require knowledge of two other Devoted Spirit maneuvers?

(Granted, using one of these amulets also has the alignment requirement (chaos, in this case), but that's a more general thing. As is the fact that being a Gnome or Halfling is probably necessary.)

Crowns of White Ravens weren't written very clearly, of course, so I'm just trying to hammer down if anyone's worked out their finer points. Even if it turns out that this is RAI but not RAW, I may wind up going with it.

Fur the curious: the plot I'm using involves giving a lieutenant to the BBEG who is a disgraced student of a temple of the Traveler where they have an "Amulet of Assured Annihilation." She refused to learn the magical abilities, focusing only on the combat and the devotion to chaos rather than the zen-like studies of the mysterious Traveler. And by not gaining that connection (or, by RAW, by not taking the Luck domain or learning healing spells) she can't ever get the legendarily unstoppable blows that other former masters have been able to gain while using the amulet. At best, she can only make attacks moderately more powerful than normal blows every so often. So, the villain's lieutenant may wind up stealing the amulet... but also won't be able to use it as she envisioned.

Glimbur
2014-04-12, 03:57 PM
As I read it, the Crown of the White Raven is better than you think. If I understand you correctly, you think that you get a Crown of the White Raven (Douse the Flames) which can only grant that maneuver.

The actual item description makes me think there are only 3 kinds of Crowns: those that can grant up to 3rd level maneuvers, those that can grand up to 6th, and those that can grant up to 9th. And yes, you have to meet the prerequisites for the maneuver you select. But even if you don't, you could get a 1st level maneuver with no prerequisites. And then take off the crown, put it back on, wait 24 hours, and get a different maneuver you qualify for.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-12, 04:07 PM
Wait, so you think that the crown can grant you... *any* maneuver of the appropriate level once per encounter (or however long cool down takes)?

That's... significantly powerful.

It'd still work for my plot if it actually works that way, but that seems off. Though it'd grant me a few more options for my artificer who made a Cloak of Desert Wind.