PDA

View Full Version : What is "The Road of Stars & Shadows"?

Melcar
2014-04-12, 03:24 PM
Simple question... Does anyone know what it is?

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-12, 05:38 PM
Your question is THAT simple.
I know it's something on Forgotten Realms that has came up in the Candlekeep forums.
If what you want is to expand your knowledge then I suggest you share the one you already possess on the subject, in order to provide better researching ground.

Edit:
I have a lead, I'll get back to you as I find out more.

Edit 2:
I am impressed by my degree of success (I never even glanced at AD&D). "The Road of Stars and Shadows" is the name of an ancient ballad from Faerūn, which describes a system of permanent Gates that link all the realms. They are under the watch of Mystra and her servats, who forbid anyone to claim control of any Gate.

Secrets of the Magister, page 127.

jedipotter
2014-04-12, 06:05 PM
The Road of Stars and Shadows is a fancy way of saying the Portal Network of 2E D&D Forgotten Realms. Back in the days when portals were special and you needed more then a feat and some gold to make them. 2E FR is covered in portals. The whole name ''forgotten realms'' comes from the idea that portal use was widely used in the old times, but has been forgotten now.

A lot of 2E portals had keys. Items you needed to open the portal. Some only worked at set times. And so forth. Often portals only work at night (stars) and in hidden places (shadows).

Max Caysey
2014-04-13, 02:16 PM
This is the network of portals that Larloch is trying to control!

Some speculate that it is infact the weave it self. A strange thing is, that for some reason Halaster wanted to stop Larloch and well died in trying. This is speculations ofc. and NOT canon lore.